Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2015, 02:01 PM
MST Manager

Thanks so much for the spoilage! I cannot wait for this show to return.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Master Fan

Sounds exciting . I can't wait!

Archie Andrews &Veronica Lodge
~Riverdale~
icon:Alexa|
Name:Marah
Old 09-05-2015, 01:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for sharing all the links.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks from me too!
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Fall TV Spoilers 2015: Exclusive Scoop On 43 Season Premieres | TVLine

Quote:
EMPIRE

If you fear that last season's freshman megahit might crumble under the pressure to keep things hip-hopping, don't. "All we want to do is continue to do Empire, to tell the story of this black family in a way that is relatable to all Americans of all colors, and in the most honest way that we can," showrunner Ilene Chaiken says. "We want to continue to make the audience gasp and laugh and scream and cry." (And if the occasional cast member also gasps, even better! To hear Taraji P. Henson tell it, one Cookie scene from the Season 2 premiere so shocked her, she paused filming to check in with the producers. "I was like, 'Do you really want me to say that?'" the Emmy nominee recalls, "and Ilene was like, 'That's what we're here to do... to ****** s--t up.'") Chaiken says Cookie will be "unstoppable" in her bid for her own label, while Hakeem is poised to grow the most out of the three sons. In addition to a robust list of guest/recurring stars that includes Mariah Carey, Mariah Tomei, Ludacris (pictured), Chris Rock, Alicia Keys and Lenny Kravitz, Chaiken says one new character to watch for is named Laura. "I won't tell you anything about her, but... keep your eye on Laura."

BONUS SPOILER!: Whoever snitched on Lucious -- it wasn't Cookie, Chaiken insists — may regret the move, as the Lyon king will emerge from jail "more ferocious and more powerful than before."

RETURN DATE: Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 9/8c (ABC)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Passionate Fan

Empire - Episode 2.02 - Without A Country - Promo | Spoilers
Old 09-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson creek fan (View Post)
Thanks!
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 09-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks from me, too!

icon by elegantamber ღღღ
Old 09-24-2015, 05:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

‘Empire’ Recap: Premiere of Season 2 — Marisa Tomei as Lesbian Rival of Cookie | TVLine

Quote:
TVLINE | You open with Cookie being lowered to the stage at a “Free Lucious” concert — in a cage, wearing a gorilla suit — followed by a scathing speech indicting the criminal justice system and what it’s done to black men in this country. How did that scene come about?

There’s so much to tell about that scene. Firstly, it’s really exciting that we get to tell a story in which those kinds of sentiments belong. They don’t feel shoehorned in. We’re not on a soap box. We’re just talking about where these characters are in today’s world — this show is located in this moment in time where these issues really would be touching their lives. So, we knew that we were opening the show with the Free Lucious concert, with Cookie and Jamal and the rest of the family at wit’s end. The lawyers haven’t been able to get Lucious a bail hearing, and whether he’s guilty or not — and everybody who’s watched the show knows he is — nonetheless, there’s this sense that an injustice has somehow been committed. [Laughs]

Danny Strong and I wrote the script — we broke it in the room with all our writing colleagues. Lee Daniels was directing the episode, and one day, pretty close to production, he calls me and says, “Ilene, are you sitting down? You know that opening scene where we see Cookie in a cage at the concert? I’m gonna put her in a gorilla suit.” [Laughs] I said, “Ohhh!” He has this inimitable way — he’s so passionate as a filmmaker, and he comes up with these fabulous and challenging ideas — and I just let it sink in. I said, “Lee, I don’t know how I feel about it.” And he said, “I know it’s really controversial, and I know it’s scary, but you’ve got to trust me on this, Ilene. I know what I’m doing — and this is what I want to say.” We had written some of Cookie’s speech, but not all of it. He said, “Cookie is going to say, ‘How much longer are they going to treat us like animals?’ Because that’s what it feels like, I’m telling you from experience.” My first reaction was, “I’m scared of this. I don’t know if I like it.” But then I took a moment and thought, “Who am I to tell Lee Daniels that this is not the way to tell this story? I’m gonna get behind him. I’d be foolish not to.” But I did say, “Lee, you know that I am obliged to let the studio and the network know. And I leave the Taraji part to you.” [Laughs] She delivers that monologue with such force. It’s thrilling. I was really excited by it, and I know she was, too.

TVLINE | Marisa Tomei enters the picture like a hurricane. She’s hitting on Cookie. She’s eyeing Anika like a trophy. They’re throwing her a party where bikini-clad girls are making out. I found myself a little shocked by how overt it all was, but then I had to check myself. If her character was a male business tycoon, that predatory behavior and amorality would’ve been expected. Tell me how you conceived the Mimi character. And was there any discussion of softening her or did you just dive headfirst hoping to have the maximum amount of fun?

The latter. We initially conceived of the storyline: Cookie, Hakeem and Andre — and tangentially Anika — are going to attempt this hostile takeover. We ended Season 1 with them still needing to raise a quarter of a billion dollars — how are they foing to raise it? And we said in the room: “There’s going to be a rich white man. Let’s call him Rich Whiteman for the purposes of this conversation.” This got us onto the idea of the dangers that people like Lucious Lyon open themselves up to when they take their companies public — especially when the company is an artistic endeavor so intrinsic to their person. You expose yourself to being appropriated, to having your art taken away from you or having it changed. And that’s the story we’re telling. We wanted to start with Cookie — and having Lucious turn things around on her.

As we talked about the arc, we realized Rich Whiteman was an important character — and he also needed to be an interesting one. At that point, someone in the room — I can’t remember who — said, “Let’s make her a lesbian.” Actually, it was probably me. And we just had some fun with the idea of the lesbian billionaire. We talked about all those male conventions you were referring to, but why not play with them? Nobody tried to pull us back, and we just went for it.

TVLINE | Grace Gealey is amazing in this episode. I don’t think anything could’ve prepared me for Anika’s ass-shake.

It was really fun to watch both of those actresses [Marisa and Grace] find their characters. Grace knows Anika so well, but that moment was something new. We knew what was going to happen in that scene, but we didn’t know what Grace was going to do in that moment when she had to dance with Mimi. It was so fabulous.

TVLINE | How many episodes do you have Marisa Tomei for? Where is that arc going to take us?

Mimi is with us for five episodes. That storyline pays off in our midseason finale — Episode 10. — airing sometime in December. I’ll just say it builds to a glorious and hopefully unexpected conclusion.

TVLINE | Can we assume Cookie will not accept defeat so easily?

Oh, she’s seething — and there will be some sort of comeback.

TVLINE | Speaking of Cookie, she and Jamal couldn’t be further apart at the end of the episode — and it’s really distressing.

That’s a big story for us — and one we really care about. As big as the show is, as soapy as some people might find it, that [arc] is very real to us. And it breaks our hearts to make those two characters estranged. But of course, there’s a path back for them, and it’s a story we tell over the course of the season — and one we relish telling.

TVLINE | Why is Jamal so much harder on Cookie? Lucious rejected him his whole life. Cookie makes this one misstep and…

Because he never, ever, ever thought she would betray him. She didn’t feel she was betraying him, but it cuts so deep for him. It’s an authentic reaction.

TVLINE | Is Jamal, as Cookie declares, at risk of becoming his dad?

Yes, I think he is at risk of becoming his dad. I don’t know that he will — but it’s definitely a risk. But [at the end of the hour], when he shuts the door and you see how he really feels, it’s a revealing and a redeeming moment for him.

TVLINE | I find it really interesting how Jamal has come out of the closet both personally and professionally — but he has that discomfort level around flamboyant men. His journey to get comfortable with his sexuality is not so black and white — and we see that through the prism of him being a major-label artist and a major-label executive, as well as the tension there is with Michael becoming a real LGBT activist.

It’s really great to be able to tell stories about gay identity that are nuanced and not so obvious. We really are delving into it this season. It relates to all of that and speaks to the idea that gayness isn’t monolithic. Not everybody is gay in the same way. It’s a parallel theme in the show.

TVLINE | Andre, not having the musical inclination, has always felt a little separate from the family — and it feels like Vernon’s death, the secret he and Rhonda are carrying, threatens to isolate him further. Is that murder going to come back to haunt him soon — or is he going to be merely haunted by the memories?

[Vernon’s death] has a very explicit consequence in the early part of the season that drives a lot of story. We don’t just drop it. And it plays a big, big role in his life. It also plays a role in continuing to motivate Andre’s search for faith and morality.

TVLINE | Given Lucious’ double-cross and the fact that he didn’t visit Cookie in jail for 17 years, it’s a shock when she finds herself visiting him in jail. And yet it’s impossible to deny that scene was crackling with chemistry and playfulness.

He says she’s ride-or-die, and the relationship is ride-or-die. Cookie and Lucious will never completely get away from one another, because as we say in the scene, they love and hate one another at the same time. The relationship will always be torture, but the love and the spark between them is inextinguishable. It doesn’t mean they won’t have other relationships. But the tragedy of both of their lives is that they’re both trying to find somebody who can replace that romance, and it will always be hard.

TVLINE | Speaking of Lucious in jail, I still can’t believe you snuck in that line he says about Gathers’ daughter, “I’m gonna slip her my bone.”

I still don’t want to talk about it. I keep thinking, when they realize it’s in there, they’re going to take it out! [Laughs]

TVLINE | You’ve set up this scenario with Gathers’ daughter — and her having this legitimate talent as a rapper. Is Lucious going to make good on his promises?

I’ll say this outright: Lucious doesn’t make good on the sexual promise. That’s just something he said to be foul. But yes, Lucious signs her — it’s a classic Lucious Lyon story. How twisted is it to kill a man, then sign his daughter and make music with her?

TVLINE | Kind of like having a baby with your gay son’s fiancée?

[Laughs] A little like that!

TVLINE | The word “Bitch” is used to hilarious effect throughout the hour: Lucious’ “Who is that lesbian bitch?” Carol’s “This bitch!” Frank’s “That bitch!” Even Lucious calling the prosecutor a “bitch in cheap shoes.” Was there any premeditated attempt to try out that word in so many ways?

[Laughs] It wasn’t conscious. It wasn’t a writerly affectation at all. It’s a word that just lives in this culture in so many different ways. It’s very expressive — and it seems to me to be all about intonation and context.

TVLINE | I feel like that could be a college term paper: Intonation and Context of the Word ‘Bitch’ on Empire.

Yes! Somebody should do it!
Old 09-24-2015, 10:26 AM
MST Manager

Thanks for the spoilage.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Winter TV Preview: Returning Favorites | TVLine
Quote:
EMPIRE
Lucious and Jamal's showdown for the American Sound Award's "Song of the Year" statuette will be a big arc when Empire returns from its winter break, says EP Ilene Chaiken. "We all know that one single award doesn't mean everything. But it certainly symbolizes to Lucious and Jamal the whole story of their relationship — the story of children surpassing their parents, of being the child of a famous and hugely successful artist." Chaiken adds that Lucious' ego makes him incapable of wanting to his see his son exceed his own success. In the wake of Camilla's takeover of Empire Entertainment, meanwhile, look for Cookie to "regroup and sieze opportunities," teases Chaiken. "Apart from wanting what's hers, wanting her family to be together has always been the driving purpose in Cookie's life."

RETURN DATE: Wednesday, March 30 at 9/8c (Fox)
Image: Courtesy of Fox
Old 02-01-2016, 06:43 AM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Thanks, Christine.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Empire - Season 3 - Promos, Posters & Cast Promotional Photos | Spoilers

Empire - Episode 3.02 - Sin That Amends - Press Release

Last edited by a fine mess; 09-04-2016 at 03:27 PM
Old 09-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Empire: Mariah Carey joins Jussie Smollett in the studio — exclusive first look | EW.com
Quote:
Empire exclusive first look: Mariah Carey hits the studio...in a bodysuit!
The pop star duets with Jussie Smollett's Jamal in season 3 of the Fox series

Empire
Posted September 7 2016 — 9:00 AM EDT

IT’S FINALLY HAPPENING!!!! After years of rumors, Mariah Carey is set to guest-star on Empire. Good friend (and Precious director) Lee Daniels has been teasing a Carey cameo since the first season and decided enough was enough. “I said, ‘It’s time to put Mariah on the show because I am going to be a liar to the world and to her,’” says the show’s co-creator and EP with a laugh.

Carey will portray Kitty, a singer brought in by Cookie (Taraji P. Henson) to duet with Jamal (Jussie Smollett). The Lyon matriarch thinks working with a star as big as Kitty will help her son deal with his PTSD and stage fright after being shot near the end of last season. “She’s the one that sees everybody’s always telling Jamal what to do,” says Smollett. “From Lucious to Cookie to the media to his fans. Kitty is a person who’s a much bigger star than Jamal and she’s there to kind of be like, ‘Stop. He’s human.’”

An unabashed Carey fan, Smollett says it was a surreal experience. “I’m just like, ‘Yo, that’s Mariah Carey talking to me, telling me how to sing something on a duet with her,’” he says excitedly. “Get the f— up out of here!”

While Carey is currently slated only for the Oct. 5 episode, Daniels says he hopes Kitty will return and promises her Empire wardrobe is appropriately dramatic. (Please direct yourself to the aforementioned lacey, belted bodysuit). Teases Daniels, “Lots of hair and fishnets and stilettos!”

Cookie’s gonna be jeaaaalous!

Empire returns on Sept. 21 at 9 p.m. ET on Fox.