Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Obsessed Fan

Call the Midwife {Television Series} Campaign Thread: Because who doesn't love nuns on bikes?

Call the Midwife
Campaign Thread

x

"Drama following the lives of a group of midwives working in the poverty-stricken East End of London during the 1950s, based on the best-selling memoirs of Jennifer Worth."
x

x

Series One:
Newly-qualified midwife Jenny Lee is the latest arrival at Nonnatus House, a convent in one of the poorest areas of London. Jenny is welcomed by the nuns and befriended by the other midwives – good-time girl Trixie, sensible Cynthia and fellow newcomer, the posh, fish-out-of water, Chummy.

We are introduced to the local community through the eyes of the young nurse as she cycles out to tend to her patients. Although the life that greets Jenny is a world away from what she’s used to, she immerses herself in the births, deaths, intrigues and romances of a community she rapidly learns to love.

Series Two:
Back to 1950s East End London for more touching and compelling stories from the nurses and nuns of Nonnatus House. It’s 1958 and the hard-working midwives of Nonnatus House continue to serve the crowded tenements and slums of Poplar. As they struggle with the challenges of poverty, domestic abuse and the spectre of TB, the midwives also face crises of their own. A chance encounter reunites Jenny with Jimmy; Chummy and P.C. Noakes face a dilemma over their imminent future; a tragic birth puts Cynthia in the spotlight and Trixie enjoys an all-too-tantalising taste of celebrity lifestyle.

Back at Nonnatus House, Sister Julienne struggles to keep the beleaguered convent on an even keel as dementia-stricken Sister Monica Joan finds comfort in the friendship of new orderly, Jane; Sister Bernadette experiences a spiritual crisis and Sister Evangelina puts her foot down regarding pain relief.

Series Three:
Series 3 sees Chummy, PC Noakes and baby Freddy back in the East End; Sister Bernadette - now known as Shelagh since leaving the convent - preparing for her wedding to Dr Turner; and Jenny facing some tough personal and professional challenges. At Christmas, when an unexploded World War II bomb is found under a warehouse close to Nonnatus House, the nuns and dozens of local families find themselves homeless. Later, Dr Turner finds himself in a race against time to immunise children against polio, and when a Royal visitor comes to the East End, Chummy persuades them to open the new Community Centre.

Series Four:
The community prepares to enter a new decade--the 1960s. Nurse Cynthia embarks on a life-changing spiritual journey, Trixie receives a proposal from handsome young curate Tom Hereward. But tempers fray when she gets carried away with everything from the engagement party to wedding presents.

Also an unexpected set of events sees Chummy take on a new challenge. Elsewhere two new nurses join the team. Barbara, a vicar's daughter, is hard-working and keen, but she's also inexperienced and struggles to get to grips with the demands placed on her. Nurse Crane, however, is older, wiser and a stickler for detail with lots of new ideas--not all of which meet the approval of Sister Evangelina.

Now entering it's fifth series, Call the Midwife aires on BBC One in the UK and PBS in the US.

Supporters:
xthing1x
L i N d $ @ y
T'Lynn
SnoopMK

x

icon by elegantamber ღღღ

Last edited by wild sage growing; 09-21-2015 at 06:57 PM
wild sage growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Moderator Manager

I've added a link to this thread on the Board Guide. Thanks for starting and please add me to the list of supporters too. Lovely OP btw.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You can add me
Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Added you, and glad you like the OP. I may have gone a little overboard.

Added you, too, Tracey, and soooo happy to see you here.

icon by elegantamber ღღღ
Old 09-19-2015, 07:25 PM
Moderator Manager

Welcome Tracey! And thanks for adding me LC.

When are we getting S5 (on BBC)?

Old 09-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Well, the Christmas Special will air on the day, then they'll announce the fifth season premiere sometime after that. Usually around mid-January.

Cast looks so cute! Love Laura's dress.

icon by elegantamber ღღღ
Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks LC.

There are rumors that Miranda won't be at the CS. But this is the Daily Fail so it should be taken with a grain of salt: Miranda Hart snubs Call the Midwives as her Hollywood career is born | Daily Mail Online

Old 09-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

I've read those rumors, as well! She hasn't been seen filming or in any of the scripts, but I'm assuming she just won't have a strong role--much like last season.

I can't see her giving up on the show entirely.

icon by elegantamber ღღღ
Old 09-21-2015, 06:23 PM
New Fan

Yay! It let me post!

I'm here at last, to add my support to the campaign!

As for Miranda Hart, I had noticed that she and the show had said nothing about whether or not she would be in series 5, and I had seen no reports of her being on set, so if she's not in the series or only shows up for a cameo, I won't be surprised.

To be honest, although I like Chummy, I don't watch the show for her and I like other characters a lot more so I won't miss her if she leaves. She seemed out of place in the two episodes she appeared in series 4, especially 4x08. I think she was great the first two seasons and for parts of the third, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere left for her story to go. Also, if she can't be a regular, it just seems jarring when she shows up for an episode here or there. I think it's best that she leaves the show if she can't give it a full-time (or at least reasonable part-time, like 4 episodes per series) commitment.

Last edited by SnoopMK; 09-21-2015 at 06:30 PM Reason: adding an additional thought to a sentence
SnoopMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Obsessed Fan

^Glad you made it, bb! I've added you to the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopMK (View Post)
As for Miranda Hart, I had noticed that she and the show had said nothing about whether or not she would be in series 5, and I had seen no reports of her being on set, so if she's not in the series or only shows up for a cameo, I won't be surprised.

To be honest, although I like Chummy, I don't watch the show for her and I like other characters a lot more so I won't miss her if she leaves. She seemed out of place in the two episodes she appeared in series 4, especially 4x08. I think she was great the first two seasons and for parts of the third, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere left for her story to go. Also, if she can't be a regular, it just seems jarring when she shows up for an episode here or there. I think it's best that she leaves the show if she can't give it a full-time (or at least reasonable part-time, like 4 episodes per series) commitment.
I feel the exact same way. I adore Miranda and have loved Chummy since the beginning, but like Jenny in season three, I don't know if there's anywhere else for her story to go. They've explored her backstory, her family, her career, her marriage, her child, etc. I don't want to see her fade into obscurity just because they aren't sure how else to use her, and I'm sure Miranda doesn't want to be regulated to the background.

If she is leaving, I do hope she'll stick around for cameos.

icon by elegantamber ღღღ
Old 09-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Moderator Manager

Glad to see you here SnoopMK!

I hate that the show actually (for the past 2 seasons) put her in only a few eps (and was briefly back in the CS) so I felt like Chummy was a recurring character as opposed to being a regular one when the show started out. Sadly, I agree with both of you that it seems out of place for her character to be back now as she seems quite settled and we have definitely seen the show move on away from her SL.

I thought I wasn't going to like any of the new characters but I ended up liking them anyway which is what I love about this show.

Final read through already.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Obsessed Fan

I think a lot of the Chummy sidelining was actually due to Miranda filming her sitcom, though I'm not entirely sure! Heidi et al seem really accommodating for actors who have other things going but still wish to remain on top billing.

Those cupcakes look delicious. All my favorite shows have had exclusive baked good this year.

icon by elegantamber ღღღ
Old 09-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Moderator Manager

That could be it. She did a CS and a New Years Special so that would take time away from shooting on CTM.

I want the new season already.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Obsessed Fan

UGH me, too. I'm so tired of waiting.

icon by elegantamber ღღღ
Old 09-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Moderator Manager

I can never get used to the UK hiatus. They're longer than the hiatus of US shows.

Reply   Post New Thread