Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheSun (View Post)
I am so baffled by the number of people who are judging Penny irresponsible for quitting TCF. Guys, she's always been very clear that TCF is just a job to pay the rent, but if she focuses on acting, that can become the job to pay her rent. I don't understand how you guys don't realise that devoting herself to only her acting career IS a backup plan, and that the only reason she could not become a more successful actress is that she has too much on her plate with TCF.
I think it takes a lot of maturity and guts to realise that even though you have financial security, you're just not happy with what you're doing and it's time to move on.
Then again I'm saying that as someone who ditched her English degree two years into it to go work abroad for a couple of years and go to acting school when I have enough money to pay for it so what do I know.
The only problem is that being a professional actor doesn't work like that. Especially when you start out it can potentially be months between jobs. Which is why almost all professional actors you'll find held other jobs at the beginning of their careers. Usually jobs like waiting tables or being a bartender because those kind of jobs usually allowed for more flexibility in being able to go to auditions. Even the ones who do work on a more regular basis usually, but still haven't hit the big time yet will still at least have a part time job they work.

Also acting classes aren't free. Penny is now incurring a new expense on top of quitting the only job that was bringing her a steady paycheck. I can understand her quitting TCF because she's sick of hat job but she should have at least had something else lined up.

Unless the writers are going to have Penny's acting career suddenly take off, she will mostly like run out of money in a couple of months.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Fan

After ten thousand pages (numbers slightly exaggerated), TFTNT!

After reading the report, I have only two observations to make (which have already been done, but oh well ):
a) I'm glad Penny wants to pursue her dream full time and try to get a living out of acting. I just hope it doesn't turn into an excuse to have her and Leonard live together because she's out of money. It needs to come from the heart. Related to that:
b) I hope that the final Sheldon/Leonard/Penny scene was more to poke fun at the possibility of them three living together. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't want a rehash of season 3. I think it's time for Leonard and Penny to live on their own, and I wouldn't want the writers to go in that direction again. It was a different time and it was 4 seasons (!) ago.

Next episode is the start of sweeps, I think? so I'm looking forward to see where they are going. They have been throwing a lot of "hints" - quotation marks carefully used here - around this season and I want to see what comes to fruition. It's time to move things forward.

As a Shamy, my first wish is always a SIK. Obviously.

Last edited by teoriapostmoderna; 12-18-2013 at 08:23 AM
Old 12-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Extreme Fan

I'm not at all upset by the spoilers for the new episode.

I don't think that they're really playing the "Sheldon as L/P's child" card. I think that Sheldon has always been in the mix of their relationship simply because he is there and because of his ways. He's going to poke his nose in and offer opinions and even advice--both solicited and unsolicited. Because Leonard lives with him, any woman he brings into the apartment is going to fall under Sheldon's scrutiny, and because he is friends with Penny, he's going to talk to her about the way things are.

And because he is who he is, he often needs the advice of L or P, and it often becomes parental because of the nature of his problems. Penny is already like his big sister/surrogate mother at times, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

At any rate, it's not as if Leonard and Penny agree that they'll all live together and keep Sheldon as their child.

I love that Sheldon basically gives voice to all the questions that have been floating around on the message boards, both here and at the other forum, concerning the what ifs about L&P getting married and/or moving in together--whose apartment, with or without Sheldon, etc.

I'd swear those writers are poking their noses around the boards...

I have my jigsaw puzzle metaphor and I think it applies very well to Sheldon. Koops also posted a very apt description of how Sheldon thinks and why he would be trying to figure out what's going to happen if L&P get married, etc.

I think that each of our lives is like a jigsaw puzzle, made up of all the individual pieces of our lives--where we live, our jobs, our family relationships, our friends, our hobbies, etc.
If you've been single for a long time, it's easy to imagine that if you ever meet that other person, that they're going to fit perfectly into your already established puzzle. You may feel like you've got that missing piece and it looks just like this other person.
But what you might forget to take into account is that that perfect person also has a jigsaw puzzle with all of their own pieces.

As your relationship progresses, you and your SO have to throw all your pieces in together and mix them all up and then figure out what the new picture of your lives together will look like.
Maybe one of you will move in with the other, or maybe you'll get a new place together, maybe you'll share new pastimes, or you'll get interested in your SO's hobbies, etc.

So, Sheldon has this very well-constructed puzzle and before he met Amy, his only missing piece, he felt, was that Nobel prize. Then along comes Amy and he willingly shifts a few pieces around to accomodate her into his life, but at the same time he doesn't want to change other things--like his aversion to physical touch or the idea of having a girlfriend, etc.

And the same goes for his living arrangement with Leonard. He controls it with the RA and therefore hopes to keep that part of his puzzle intact.

But with Leonard and Penny possibly going to get married in the not-too-distant future, I think he can feel the pieces starting to get jostled around. What happens to his puzzle if the Leonard-as-roommate pieces get removed? He doesn't want his picture changed, but he can sense that change is coming.

And we all know that Sheldon hates change.

Anyway, with Amy talking in the Cooper Extraction about the sad aspect of coming home alone every night, and now Sheldon having to deal with the idea of Leonard and Penny's relationship shaking up his living arrangements, there are possibly some seeds being planted.

But like asparagus, it may take quite a while before we're ready for a harvest...

Okay, I'll stop torturing metaphors...

Jim Parsons read my poem on UK radio!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Master Fan

I kinda would like if SLP lived together.. I love their scenes.
Reminds me of Friends when chandler and Monica told Rachel they were moving in together and Rach just assumed that meant the three of them

Last edited by LostInTime; 12-18-2013 at 09:50 AM
Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Passionate Fan

If they move Penny in to live with Sheldon and Leonard, then you can pretty much assume that the Shamy relationship isn't going to progress for a very long time. That dynamic will put Sheldon back into his childish mode instead of him growing up to be a man like he was trying so hard to do off and on this season. He will be content in his homeostatic position of having is "pseudo parents" still in the apartment. Instead the focus will be on the trio roommates and that will be a shame. It will be a constant old-hat routine of Sheldon and Penny disagreeing on cleanliness, and every other thing they disagree on. UGH! Amy and Leonard will end up being vehicles to keep Sheldon and Penny from tearing each others hair out all the time. How is that helping Lenny progress? How is that helping Shamy progress? It isn't. It is putting us back to S3. NOT A FAN OF THAT!

I don't want to wait for four more years to see a possible new step in the Shamy relationship. I don't want to see that Amy is only an after thought or an escape with/for him all the time. I want to see progress in their relationship but I think that won't happen unless someone forces it. The best way to force it is for him to have to learn some independence and to learn how to not be constantly kept in a "child" mode. He won't be learning either of those things if Penny moves in with Sheldon and Leonard.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey

Been away for a long time but have started to try to get back here more often. Ok so I read the taping reports....a proposal...again? What!!!! This time though from Penny which is suddenly a role reversal. I don't know if that's gonna be funny or just a gap filler to give Lenny a little kick? I was worried a tad after reading that report but I couldn't imagine a break up. I mean would there be a Lenny 3.0...I highly, highly doubt it! And plus it just wouldn't work and I am not saying this as a LP fan but a BBT fan. Also....every couple has their bickers and as much as I adore the couple it cant be all perfect smiles and kisses right? They gotta have that little quarrel cause all couples do.

For the proposal to have been just forgotten is weird which makes the whole drunken proposal a complete waste of time or as I said just a gap filler. I don't know, but for sure I can say I will love all eps coming our way, there isn't a ep I don't like cause the great writers always seem to get it right. Though the drunk proposal...not so much, I mean we've seen it couple times before, we don't wanna keep seeing drunk or half hearted proposal's...we want the real thing!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmelody77 (View Post)
If they move Penny in to live with Sheldon and Leonard, then you can pretty much assume that the Shamy relationship isn't going to progress for a very long time. That dynamic will put Sheldon back into his childish mode instead of him growing up to be a man like he was trying so hard to do off and on this season. He will be content in his homeostatic position of having is "pseudo parents" still in the apartment. Instead the focus will be on the trio roommates and that will be a shame. It will be a constant old-hat routine of Sheldon and Penny disagreeing on cleanliness, and every other thing they disagree on. UGH! Amy and Leonard will end up being vehicles to keep Sheldon and Penny from tearing each others hair out all the time. How is that helping Lenny progress? How is that helping Shamy progress? It isn't. It is putting us back to S3. NOT A FAN OF THAT!

I don't want to wait for four more years to see a possible new step in the Shamy relationship. I don't want to see that Amy is only an after thought or an escape with/for him all the time. I want to see progress in their relationship but I think that won't happen unless someone forces it. The best way to force it is for him to have to learn some independence and to learn how to not be constantly kept in a "child" mode. He won't be learning either of those things if Penny moves in with Sheldon and Leonard.
I think you're jumping to a lot of conclusions.
You don't know that Sheldon will be childish just because Penny moves in. He wasn't childish when Dr. Stephanie moved in, he wasn't childish around Priya, and besides, he's not the same person he was back then.

And I don't see how L&P moving in (and they're not really planning to do it, based on dana's report) would automaticlaly set the Shamy back. How would that happen?
How would it change Sheldon and Amy's relationship? Maybe if L&P are at the apartment all the time, Sheldon would seek refuge in hanging out more with Amy at her place. Maybe it would prompt him to want to move in with Amy, or to kick Leonard and Penny out and have Amy move in with him.

You can extrapolate it any different direction.

But at this point, I think that assuming that 1) L&P are going to be moving in with Sheldon, and 2) If they do it will automatically turn Sheldon into a child and 3) it would automatically stunt the Shamy progress, is pretty much unwarranted.

Jim Parsons read my poem on UK radio!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

Aww love the new pic!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

I wish I had seen it. It is a filler episode but I'm glad they had new character interactions like they did in the scavenger hunt episode.
Of course amy didn't take sheldon to work.she's at cal tech now and they force sheldon to take vacation to give the university a break from him. Remember how last time he was going to try to sneak past security in the back of leonard's car and wear a disguise? They wouldn't have let her bring him to work with her if she tried.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantagrae (View Post)
I think you're jumping to a lot of conclusions.
You don't know that Sheldon will be childish just because Penny moves in. He wasn't childish when Dr. Stephanie moved in, he wasn't childish around Priya, and besides, he's not the same person he was back then.

And I don't see how L&P moving in (and they're not really planning to do it, based on dana's report) would automaticlaly set the Shamy back. How would that happen?
How would it change Sheldon and Amy's relationship? Maybe if L&P are at the apartment all the time, Sheldon would seek refuge in hanging out more with Amy at her place. Maybe it would prompt him to want to move in with Amy, or to kick Leonard and Penny out and have Amy move in with him.

You can extrapolate it any different direction.

But at this point, I think that assuming that 1) L&P are going to be moving in with Sheldon, and 2) If they do it will automatically turn Sheldon into a child and 3) it would automatically stunt the Shamy progress, is pretty much unwarranted.
And that is your opinion, in which we differ. We have already seen plenty of evidence that when Sheldon is around Lenny as a couple, he begins to act like they are his pseudo parents. Even his questions to him were like that of a child wondering where they were all going to live, etc. It was clear that he was inserting himself in their relationship. We know he wasn't inserting himself there for them to be a threesome (sexually), so that says to me he believe himself to be very dependent on them as if they are his parents. I don't see that changing.

What it will do is bring a lot of focus on the three roommates and far less focus on developing Shamy as a couple. I may be alone (but doubt I am based on what I am seeing at the other forum) but this is not a desirable decision. It will stunt both couples growth because it will be week after week of Sheldon causing problems with Lenny as a couple or fighting with Penny and Amy and Leonard having to come to the rescue. I personally find that boring and would have no interest in watching that week after week. I already have more than saturated my fill of that kind of interaction.

I personally would like to see Sheldon develop more as a man and gain some independence and that he and Amy grow into a more mature relationship. I don't watch for them to remain the same year after year of stunted growth.

Likewise I want to see Leonard and Penny adjusting to living together and once she finds out it isn't so bad, she will be more ready to propose so they can begin a life together. But that won't likely be easy if she is living under the same roof with a third party constantly throwing cogwheels under their path.

Today, Penny can escape to her apartment when things get beyond annoying to her. Leonard can escape to her apartment as well. If she moves in with Sheldon and Leonard, there is no escape and honestly I believe it will become very wearisome to watch all that fighting all the time. I like these folks having fun and enjoying developing into adults. Not watching them constantly bicker.

I do believe it will very much slow both relationships down considerably and maybe even cause some separations briefly if they go that path. That is not what I wish for either couple.

Last edited by stardustmelody77; 12-18-2013 at 12:04 PM
Old 12-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
And that is your opinion. We have already seen plenty of evidence that when Sheldon is around Lenny as a couple, he begins to act like they are his pseudo parents. Even his questions to him were like that of a child wondering where they were all going to live, etc. It was clear that he was inserting himself in their relationship. We know he wasn't inserting himself there for them to be a threesome (sexually), so that says to me he believe himself to be very dependent on them as if they are his parents. I don't see that changing.

What it will do is bring a lot of focus on the three roommates and far less focus on developing Shamy as a couple. I may be alone (but doubt I am based on what I am seeing at the other forum) but this is not a desirable decision. It will stunt both couples growth because it will be week after week of Sheldon causing problems with Lenny as a couple or fighting with Penny and Amy and Leonard having to come to the rescue. I personally find that boring and would have no interest in watching that week after week. I already have more than saturated my fill of that kind of interaction.

I personally would like to see Sheldon develop more as a man and gain some independence and that he and Amy grow into a more mature relationship. I don't watch for them to remain the same year after year of stunted growth.

Likewise I want to see Leonard and Penny adjusting to living together and once she finds out it isn't so bad, she will be more ready to propose so they can begin a life together. But that won't likely be easy if she is living under the same roof with a third party constantly throwing cogwheels under their path.

I do believe it will very much slow both relationships down considerably and maybe even cause some separations briefly if they go that path. That is not what I wish for either couple.
You're not alone and I agree with all of this post.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

I don't know. I'm not opposed to them living in Penny's mansion when she becomes a movie star.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Total Fan

Thanks so much to Dana from the other forum for the report.

Tomasina, I'm sorry you didn't get in. I hope that doesn't discourage you from going to other tapings.

I don't get all the "filler" comments. The only plot that seems remotely filler-ish to me is the Bernie/Stuart one, and that could be considered exploring a new character pairing which is great imo.

The L/P/S plot involves significant developments (Penny apologized for the drunk proposal, Penny quits her job to pursue her dream, Sheldon asks about the elephant in the room, at the end of the day Leonard still supports Penny and they're fine). I think it is definitely part of an arc. We're missing a lot of dialogue so there seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions happening in the forums but that's basically what forums are for: speculation, fangirling and/or ranting, sometimes all at the same time.

I think that it is possible the A/H/R plot is also indicative of where they're going. It will probably all make sense in hindsight. I also love the character combination in this one.

Looking forward to this episode.

#SerialApeist2Premiere #ATSKAA2014*
* ... and then Sheldon kissed Amy AGAIN.

Icon by bigbangsheldon
Old 12-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyrani (View Post)
We're missing a lot of dialogue so there seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions happening in the forums but that's basically what forums are for: speculation, fangirling and/or ranting, sometimes all at the same time.
That's what we do best.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:16 PM
etc
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
And that is your opinion, in which we differ. We have already seen plenty of evidence that when Sheldon is around Lenny as a couple, he begins to act like they are his pseudo parents. Even his questions to him were like that of a child wondering where they were all going to live, etc. It was clear that he was inserting himself in their relationship. We know he wasn't inserting himself there for them to be a threesome (sexually), so that says to me he believe himself to be very dependent on them as if they are his parents. I don't see that changing.

Today, Penny can escape to her apartment when things get beyond annoying to her. Leonard can escape to her apartment as well. If she moves in with Sheldon and Leonard, there is no escape and honestly I believe it will become very wearisome to watch all that fighting all the time. I like these folks having fun and enjoying developing into adults. Not watching them constantly bicker.

You are forgetting that if Amy moves into Penny's old apartment, Sheldon now has a place he can run to if L/P gang up on him. Also Amy could now come over unannounced, like Penny use to do, to see Penny, if Sheldon questions her. I think they would be a lot like the old 'Friends' show, the four of them.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread