Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
I do blame some of that on their obsessive focus on OF as the centre of everything. It's like they can only focus on one thing at a time. It's like they can only focus on one thing at a time.
That's exactly it and it's really annoying.

I don't get why they felt the need to introduce that guy at Palmer Tech for Felicity to have a friend when 1) we've hardly scene her at Palmer Tech since the beginning of the season and 2) you want to give her a friend, you already have Thea & Laurel on the show who she could be friends with. I don't want Thea & Laurel to remember they have a close bond for 1 ep when Sara's threatening to kill Thea & then it's just in the background, same with Laurel & Felicity chatting to the kids. I don't want Thea to have a minor story on controlling her bloodlust & then a romance with Oliver's campaign manager in the second half. I don't get why we never see Laurel at work anymore or talking about cases when she's supposed to be a lawyer. I don't get why we hardly see Lyla and Sara. I don't get why they had to waste an ep on rescuing Ray, but I can put that down to spin off setup. I don't get why they made the big deal out of Laurel & Oliver clearing the air and deciding to start over again as friends and now they're barely having a background scene together. I don't even get why mama Smoak's around cause she doesn't do much apart from give Felicity pep talks about Oliver & now hook up with Lance. I'm not gonna complain too much about Olicity cause I get it, she's with Oliver so obviously the relationships gonna be a focus. But the shows been on air for 4yrs now, they should know how to balance between the romance plot, the action plot and the character plot.

Quote:
What I think it telling is the level of hate Oliver has on Arrow. That, to me, is a major issue on this show. He is the main character and there's a healthy group who despise Oliver and only watch for other reasons.
Agree and I think it's a combination of bad writing & directing, but mostly it's the writing.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiredToDamon (View Post)
What is Bamford saying? I don't get it.

As for BC, they made the mistake of introducing Laurel in the season 1 as just normal Lawyer. They then didn't start training her in season 2 nor did they take advantage of the whole meta thing. Sara was giving most character trait BC has in the comics a long with connection to LoA/love interest for GA. Now, it is too late. They did this to themselves. They had soo many opportunities to correct their mistakes and they didn't take advantage of it. They can take advantage of this whole Earth 2 thing but I doubt they will. The only thing Felicity has taken Laurel away is the love interest role and that is a whole different case all on its self. And, I am not about to get into it.

I don't think they brought Curtis to replace Felicity but if Felicity dies, they can replace her with him. However, will that happen? The answer is I don't think so.

I have said it again and again, neither BC nor Felicity will be the ones that die this season. Honestly, every season these two characters are the ones speculate about leaving the show for another show or dying.
LOA did not train BC. BC of the comics was against killing and had hope and was all for justice. So while personality was given to Laurel, strength was given to Sara.

Marc doesn't look at the bigger issue. He's like ok we will put her in a costume, give a a collar and laurel fans will shut up.....

Sin aside, why couldn't Katana, Barry, and Hawkgirl form a connection with Laurel. Aka their future teammate of JL.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by semmanclana (View Post)
LOA did not train BC. BC of the comics was against killing and had hope and was all for justice. So while personality was given to Laurel, strength was given to Sara.

Marc doesn't look at the bigger issue. He's like ok we will put her in a costume, give a a collar and laurel fans will shut up.....

Sin aside, why couldn't Katana, Barry, and Hawkgirl form a connection with Laurel. Aka their future teammate of JL.
No, I was talking about her connection with LoA. In the comics Dinah/BC has more connection with the Batfamily/LoA than Oliver. They took that away from her on the show and gave it to Sara/Oliver.

The only connection this show cares about is the one between the guys- Barry/Oliver, their low budge version of Superman/Batman.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock (View Post)
The show was a romantic soap from the very first episode with the whole you slept with my sister im sleeping with your best friend plotline. It didnt start with oliver and felicity. Hell the green arrow entire origin story is a soap trope Man comes back from the dead after being stranded on an island. Comic books are full of soap tropes. They are also full of romantic subplots.
^Exactly! Compare to the sister swappung, best friend swapping, my bio dad is an evil mastermind, sleeping with dad's mistress, even Diggle's trying to date dead brother's widow. All that was soapy. And yes comic books are very soapy. Olicity is like the least soapy thing about this show because they have a healthy, mature relationship that can exist in the background sometimes.

Quote:
Oliver being miserable, utterly sad and descending back into the unbridled rage despondent vigilante he was in season 1 is great "character development". Two enthusiastic thumbs up. (sarcasm) All Stephen's words by the way on how Oliver would react to Felicity's death.

Felicity is not just Oliver's light but the entire shows light. Like seriously without her around who is going to bring humor and lightness to the show. Not Oliver, definitely not Laurel, not Diggle, all three of which takes themselves way too seriously. Maybe Thea but not in the same vein as Felicity- so who? The show needs balance, it needs characters who don't wear masks who are relatively normal so they can balance out the characters on the show who do and so there is someone relatable for the audience to connect with who in turn makes the extraordinary of the masked heroes relatable.

Honestly I don't even know why Felicity is even a question of dying after 4x09- they aren't going to almost kill her in the fall finale only to delay and have her actually die like 6 episodes later. If they wanted to kill her she would be dead next episode- which she is not. Not to mention Emily/Felicity are beloved by the cast, the crew, the writers/producers and the President of the CW network. And she is probably the most popular character in terms of media buzz and cultural impact from the show. Id say slightly more then Oliver himself or at least fifty-fifty.

Laurel became a strong contender to me last episode when they had Lance basically utter the most foreshadowing line ever "I don't know what I would do if something happen to you" which generally is a shining neon light that something will happen. But it could also, and is most probably an anvil to make us think Laurel is going to die.

I think both Felicity and Laurel would be game changing deaths, in the fact that the audience would never see it coming, but game changing doesn't mean good for the show and good for the story telling or characters.

Either way I think there will be one less Lance on the show by seasons end and I would still put good money on Quentin. He would create an emotional resonance with the characters and the audience while leaving the least hole in the show line up.
^Yes!! Amen to this! Except my money is on LL not Quentin.
"Love is the best thing we do" ~Ted, HIMYM"Have courage and be kind." "Where there is kindness there is goodness. And where there is goodness there is magic."~ Cinderella "Men always choose the wrong things. They stalk power and wealth and frivolous things they think will make them whole. And it never does. It never does. Choose love. Choose your own path. Those are the roads to travel." ~The Royals Icon by http://alexia-drake.livejournal.com/
Old 12-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Thanks for the new thread.

Thanks for the pics!
You're welcome!

And thanks for the pics and tweets Hazel! Bamford is confusing me, who the heck are these characters he's talking about? Are they new or from the other shows? Maybe one is the Wilson SA said he might fight on the show? Or the Calculator guy? Other than that I've got no ideas who Bamford could be talking about.
"Love is the best thing we do" ~Ted, HIMYM"Have courage and be kind." "Where there is kindness there is goodness. And where there is goodness there is magic."~ Cinderella "Men always choose the wrong things. They stalk power and wealth and frivolous things they think will make them whole. And it never does. It never does. Choose love. Choose your own path. Those are the roads to travel." ~The Royals Icon by http://alexia-drake.livejournal.com/
Old 12-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Elite Fan

^ he said no connection to CW/DC though. The actor who was cast as calculator was on Everwood. Though maybe splitting hairs because Everwood never actually made it to CW, correct? Wasn't it canceled as a result of the merger? I can't recall.

Not sure about the second guy.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Elite Fan

I can't remember if Everwood made it to the CW either. I want to say no it was only ever on the WB but I'm not sure and like you said that would be like splitting hairs anyway. Also I somehow missed the part where he said not affiliated with the CW, lol. So probably not the Calculator but we don't know who is playing this Wilson SA mentioned so it could be him/her. Maybe someone else from Doctor Who? Or someone who's been in a Marvel film/franchise? I really don't know. Wonder who these two new characters are though. Villains or good guys, and what's their place in the story. And I wonder how long they are sticking around. Because I really need Arrow to start focusing on it's own characters and the relationships between them that matter, not spending so much time on "cool guest stars" and what not.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Master Fan

Everwood was canceled when UPN and WB merged to create The CW. I remember because Everwood was one of my fave shows ever and I was pissed that they canceled it and picked up 7th Heaven for an 11th season?!

Everwood got screwed! It deserved better!
"Because Felicity has allowed him to get in touch with pieces of his personality and his character that he thought were long gone. And even better, new pieces he never knew were there. So she makes him a better person, and thus he loves her."-Stephen Amell on why Oliver loves Felicity
Olicity
-Maria (icon by me)
Old 12-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueenFanGirl (View Post)

I also find that other comic characters such as Ray Palmer were not written to their full potential.
And the thing with Ray is that Ray wasn't the character they even wanted. They wanted Ted Kord, and were denied him after already laying the seeds for him in the first two seasons with references to Kord Industries. So instead of changing their plans, they kept them and stuck Ray's name on Ted and decided to leave it at that, rather than alter his character or try to take him to his full potential.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well that sucks for his fans. I'm pretty neutral about Ray Palmer. Hopefully he'll get to shine on Legends of Tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunksWorldWide (View Post)
Everwood was canceled when UPN and WB merged to create The CW. I remember because Everwood was one of my fave shows ever and I was pissed that they canceled it and picked up 7th Heaven for an 11th season?!

Everwood got screwed! It deserved better!
Thing is 7th Heaven was a ratings win for the network while i believe Everwoid had more of a cult following type ratings despite being the far superior show.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Fan

CW just got ratings greedy due to 7th Heavens then series finale pulling in 11million viewers.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:47 AM
Absolute Fan

7tth heaven for being an overly setimental show and way too preachy had massive ratings and i believe would constantly share the WB #1 show with Smallville i believe or Dawsons creek. Pretty much it was those three shows plus Buffy that were bringing in veiwers
Old 12-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
7tth heaven for being an overly setimental show and way too preachy had massive ratings and i believe would constantly share the WB #1 show with Smallville i believe or Dawsons creek. Pretty much it was those three shows plus Buffy that were bringing in veiwers
Aw.. just thinking about the WB really makes me feel so old
Old 12-15-2015, 05:43 AM
Supreme Fan

Anyone else catch the twitter meltdown that happened last night? lol

It resulted in a new Katie pic so some good came from it.