Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Elite Fan

Dub is usually hit and miss. It really depends on the show.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

I think when you're 10, it works, but as you grow older, you realize what did I watch? Luckily it's easy and fun to rewatch in the original form.

Sheida..somehow, that doesn't surprise me that it happens like that in Iran. That really is a depressing ending to a children's show.

Speaking of inappropriate dressing, I've been going through SM and they have a lot of underwear shots. But I'm pretty sure that's not in the dub. How in the world do they "fix" that?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Speaking of inappropriate dressing, I've been going through SM and they have a lot of underwear shots. But I'm pretty sure that's not in the dub. How in the world do they "fix" that?
Two options:

+Cut small snippet of said underwear shot entirely.

+Airbrush/image altering. I don't know about a lot of other dubbed series that are aimed at the kid demographic but I've seen this happen A LOT in Yu-Gi-Oh. Sometimes they tend to take out things unnecessarily (Roman letters on signs/keyboards for example).

*English version is the one with the Kids WB logo on the bottom right. The one without is the original.

"Underwear" shot wise? Either it's airbrushed to cover up the cleavage, dresses are lengthened, or shorts are added. Example:

Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Elite Fan

I really hate it when they do that.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Elite Fan

I know the dubbing companies (4Kids-esque) want to take out the offensive or Japanese culture stuff that kids won't understand but when they start taking out things that are actually written in English, and believe me when I say Yu-Gi-Oh has a ton of them, I'm wondering, do they not want kids to learn how to read too?

Speaking of which, here's something else fun to read:

Quote:
The management of 4Kids Entertainment has stated that it seeks to "localize anime so children in English-speaking countries will understand it...",judging that localization is necessary in order for these titles to be profitable. For most titles, the editing 4Kids performs falls into a few broad categories – 4Kids may seek to "Americanize" a program by changing character names, dialog, music, food, or stereotypes which would be unfamiliar or even offensive to an American audience, as in the series, Pokémon, where rice balls are changed into American food such as jelly doughnuts or subs. The company also may remove some materially suggestive objects such as cigarettes or guns with lollipops, water guns, crosses, or content deemed too violent or suggestive for American children. In an interview with Al Kahn, CEO of 4Kids, when asked how the company decides what properties or anime to acquire, his reply was "..if [anime fans] want this programming to come to the United States then they're going to have to accept the fact that it's going to be available in two styles."
Al Kahn quote from this article: [Link]

An interesting wikipedia article on anime dubbing: [Link]

And some more comparison pics:

The edited bottom just makes it look like Usagi is bathing in blood. Elizabeth Bathory much? How did anyone not notice this?
Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

I looked at the SM pics and went..what's the issue, and then you mentioned the color and I realized that the Japanese..you see a LOT. *whistles*

OMG, Pokemon one...changed from a bag to a SANDWICH?!?! WTF. Are you kidding me. That is so sad. No wonder this country is so fat.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
OMG, Pokemon one...changed from a bag to a SANDWICH?!?! WTF. Are you kidding me. That is so sad. No wonder this country is so fat
Actually it's not a bag but onigiri. Basically a riceball wrapped in seaweed and a pickled plum in the middle.

ETA: In retrospect, I kinda see why it looked like a bag as the "rice" looks like a white rock.

Last edited by Lain; 12-26-2010 at 05:47 PM
Reply   Post New Thread