Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Elite Fan

What Types of Movies Do You Avoid? Why?

I avoid movies with 'doomed' protagonists. You know they're going to die and that it's going to be devastating. I remember avoiding movies about gangs or wars because they always had that one really painful death, usually someone really young, someone who didn't deserve it, or someone who was trying to get out of a dangerous life or situation (such as Carlito's Way).

A few days ago I watched two movies with sort of 'doomed' characters and I loved one (In Bruges) and really liked the other (Pride and Glory). I'm catching up with Colin Farrell movies. Speaking of which, Cassandra's Dream was such a roller-coaster in this regard.

I also avoid sexually graphic movies unless I'm super interested in the story.
ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hmmm, I guess my genre of film that I avoid would be Fantasy. They've never interested me--except maybe the Harry Potter series but that is more from the love of the books.

I have a tendency to avoid movies more because of a certain actor/actress/director then the genre of the film.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Dedicated Fan

I very dislike movies that have to do with war, gangs, drugs, partying, mythical creatures, talking animals, and romance.

Also spoof movies.

join&visit||
CaptainCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Addicted Fan

Yes, the movies I avoid is anything dealing with a rape and murder of a child. I can't stand watching those!!!! However, considering how Peter Jackson was so sensitive how he handled that in "The Lovely Bones" I will at least see that.

"No matter what kind of day I am having butterflies will always help me cope."
AdriaMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i try and avoid romance...and romantic comedies...but some of them are okay
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
ocfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taovande (View Post)
I have a tendency to avoid movies more because of a certain actor/actress/director then the genre of the film.
Same here. People tell me that's extreme but I dont care. I cant stand certain actors so I wont pay to see their films. I also hate comedies...usually.

JackersandJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

Superhero movies. I did enjoy the first two Christopher Reeve "Superman's" and the first "Batman" with Michael Keaton back in the 80's, but now there are way too many of these types of movies being made.
Disneypreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Master Fan

Zombie horror movies, they freak me out and take me back to being a little girl hiding from the movie. Any other horror movie doesn't bother me, but zombie just send a shiver up my spine.

I try to stay away from series that go past three movies. They are usually stale, badly put together, and start to ruin the original talent that was there in the first place. It's just another series ruin because Hollywood had to suck the cow dry.

Movies that change or completely rewrite history like Pearl Harbor. They made that movie too long, and used the characters in a mission (where everyone got home alive and those men were never at Pearl Harbor) so they could wrap their love triangle up in a little bow. To me the end of that movie is when FDR gives his speech and everything is up in the air and unknown like it was back then. I hate movies where they force endings into these neat little packages.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Elite Fan

Pearl Harbor only works as a fantasy movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCole (View Post)
I very dislike movies that have to do with war, gangs, drugs, partying, mythical creatures, talking animals, and romance.

Also spoof movies.
ITA with drug movies. There are exceptions, but not many.

Quote:
I do this all the time. Hehe. I always cringe when there's an interesting looking movie but with someone I really don't like in the cast.

Last edited by ROCKSTAR; 04-04-2010 at 02:24 AM
ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Obsessed Fan

Ditto RS: I have this inner debate on if I should see it or not.....
Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Supreme Fan

Gore movies. I like classic horror. Hitchcock and the actual scary movies, as well as some spoof horror, but I don't like the torture and gore flicks like Saw and Hostel and most of the new horror movies. There's nothing really scary about them, just buckets of blood and body parts without a story line. I won't watch them.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel (View Post)
Gore movies. I like classic horror. Hitchcock and the actual scary movies, as well as some spoof horror, but I don't like the torture and gore flicks like Saw and Hostel and most of the new horror movies. There's nothing really scary about them, just buckets of blood and body parts without a story line. I won't watch them.
Yeah and they keep making them into like the double digits of series. The very first Saw might have been a interesting movie with it's ending, but after that it got boring when it was only about new super bloody gory deaths.

I love the scary movies that you saw the killing happen off screen and you only saw the shadows. Or when there was the buildup and then pop out at you unexpected.

Blood and gore isn't scary it mainly disgusting, I haven't seen a truly scary movie in a while.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Same here.

Also, I don't really like Bollywood films.. or war/army movies (but it depends on who's in it).
Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Supreme Fan

I don´t like scary movies
Passion, it lies in all of us. It speaks to us, guides us. Passion rules us all, and we obey. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace but we would be hollow. Without passion we'd be truly dead.
Barbara
icon by pinkpaisley_art
bh11000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Elite Fan

I usually don't watch movies that are too big hits in the cinemas (like Avatar, LOTR,...). I'm strange, I know.
zazie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread