Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Air
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermanentCatcher (View Post)
ITA I hated the character and the acting. I also found chemistry b/w her and RDJ to be lacking. Mayb e it was there and just completely overshadowed by Holmes/Watson
I thought they had some chemistry but it was definitely over shadowed by Holmes/Watson's chemistry and that RM just wasn't up to par with RDJ as well. I did enjoy the scene in his flat when she showed up, but that was mostly him, she was pretty passive in it. her aloofness worked well in that scene and that was about it for me.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Part-Time Fan

Is this movie based on any of the original books? Judging from some of the posts, it sounds like one of the main villians is a female and I can only remember one story (A Scandal in Bohemia) that has a woman as Holmes' adversary
Disneypreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Air
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneypreview (View Post)
Is this movie based on any of the original books? Judging from some of the posts, it sounds like one of the main villians is a female and I can only remember one story (A Scandal in Bohemia) that has a woman as Holmes' adversary
The characterization was taken directly from the source material, but not the story. They introduced Moriarty though in the end (cue sequel!) and Irene Adler was expanded as a character - as Holmes adversary but also kind of a love interest and consort.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i can't for a sequel...as long as robert and jude come back!
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
ocfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Air
Elite Fan

I heard they are both on board along with Guy Ritchie as well! SO excited!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

YES! so exciting!
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
Old 01-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Master Fan

I heard that they are planning kinda like a series of movies. Since they wanted it to be like revamping Sherlock Holmes. Like they did with Batman and Star Trek.

So I think they will have Moriarty be a part of the films. But have him be the big villian in the last. Since in the books, I believe there was always a hint of him. But he wasn't really present until a few and then when they went over the waterfall.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i haven't read any of the books yet...but the movie was outstanding!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrios (View Post)
So I think they will have Moriarty be a part of the films. But have him be the big villian in the last. Since in the books, I believe there was always a hint of him. But he wasn't really present until a few and then when they went over the waterfall.
Actually, in the books Moriarty was featured in only two stories. He was first introduced in "The Final Problem" in 1893, and even Watson had never heard of Moriarty before. Holmes and Moriarty dueled at Reichenbach Falls, and Holmes was presumed dead for years. When Holmes comes back, the villain is a former henchman of Moriarty, but that's it.

The next story Moriarty was in wasn't published until 1917, and it was called "The Valley of Fear." But, and this is an example of Arthur Conan Doyle's wonky timelines, the case is set in 1887 or so, and for some reason Watson knows all about Moriarty as a criminal mastermind. Which sort of implies that Watson must have been lying about the other case. But those are really the only two cases Moriarty was in. He was not at all the last case of Holmes's. He was more like in the middle.

But as people said earlier, the movie itself is not actually based on a specific book, so it doesn't have to follow anything written. I loved the movie and can't wait for the sequel.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Part-Time Fan

I love the Doyle books, but wish that he had made more use of Moriarty as the villain to Holmes. He was criminally (pardon the punn) underused in the books.
Disneypreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

seeing it again tomorrow! can't wait!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Absolute Fan

I want to see it again too, but I don't think I'll have time until the weekend.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

its an amazing movie...it needs to be seen more than once!

awesome as usual the 2nd time! i love it!

Last edited by ocfan27; 01-12-2010 at 06:23 PM
Old 01-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Master Fan

I liked it better the second time I saw it and I like Irene better the second time too.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i liked it the same both times i saw it...is an all around great movie
Reply   Post New Thread