Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2018, 01:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
I like the movies in sequence from favourite to lease and I think that's in part to my OCD needing it to be in order but because it also starts so light and then is dark by the end.
Light to Dark is a great metaphor/theme in movies the same thing is central in Star Wars.

I can relate to your OCD point

I think the second and fifth movies are the best

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
I always thought the fandom was way too harsh on Harry/Ginny - perhaps because, like you said, they didn't get much focus in the movies. But when they had that kiss, people were saying there was no chemistry... Ugh, does every kiss have to be passionate to be believed? It was sweet, and hopeful for their future together.
well it's true that there wasn't much focus on Harry & Ginny's relationship in the movies so their relationship just felt too rushed and less believable for me, I also didn't see much chemistry between them either, and I felt nothing when they kissed.

I do love Ron's vision of Harry and Hermione together kissing, that scene was so symbolic because it represented Ron's jealousy and insecurities about Hermione's feelings for Harry and her relationship with him, Ron always knew Harry & Hermione were very close and her seemingly always choosing Harry above everything else. But I think Ron wasn't just jealous or insecure about Harry as a love rival, I think he was also envious of Harry himself, I believe Ron also had a sort of inferiority complex towards Harry, Harry was a very powerful wizard, he was the "chosen one" afterall and the 'hero' who will save the world. In comparison, Ron really wasn't that good of a wizard, he was Harry's less talented sidekick, always following in Harry's shadow, and even though I do believe that deep down Ron loves and cares about Harry very much as his bestfriend, but I think there will always be a part of Ron that will always envy Harry and feel inferior to Harry in every way. And I think Ron's inferiority complex and jealousy was apparent in "The Goblet of Fire" when he wrongly thought Harry had submitted his own name for the Triwizard tournament and for a while he was really angry at Harry about it and avoided him during the beginning of the movie. And also during Ron's vision of Harry & Hermione together, the illusion of Harry told Ron that even his own mother would prefer Harry as her son and Hermione told Ron that he was "nothing compared to Harry". All of that just gives me the impression that Ron's jealousy and envy and insecurities about Harry run much deeper than just Hermione's relationship with Harry, Ron was envious and jealous of Harry in general.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like that they didn't force a triangle with the main three but I know what people meant about saying 'no chemistry' because of the simple fact that they weren't thrown together throughout the films and then are, so people wanted some kind of passion and it's like, it's not a romance film it's about a happy ending period.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Absolute Fan

I never said Harry and Ginny necessarily needed "passion" for their relationship to be convincing, there just wasn't enough focus on their relationship and in the "Goblet of Fire" Harry was in love with Cho Chang and their relationship continued into "Order of the Phoenix". There was nothing in those 2 movies and the prior 4 movies that suggested Harry's relationship with Ginny was any more than just friendship, and then suddenly in the last few movies they're in love with each other? I just feel that this progression of Harry & Ginny's relationship from friendship to romantic relationship was rushed and not very believable, it wasn't a consistent transition. Unlike Ron & Hermione's relationship, we saw their relationship progress steadily and very consistently throughout the movies, so when they did hook up together many fans expected it, and it was believable. But not Harry & Ginny, Harry was so into Cho Chang for a while, and then after they broke up, it felt like they needed to hook Harry up with Ginny just for the sake of it so they built it up only in the last few movies. It all felt very rushed and unconvincing to me...I haven't read the books so I don't know if Harry & Ginny were a couple in the books, but even if they were, the way they portrayed their relationship in the movies was inconsistent and rushed and not very believable IMO. My opinions of Harry & Ginny's relationship would've been different if their relationship had more focus in the movies and had their relationship progressed more consistently throughout the movies.

Last edited by LindaL100; 08-10-2018 at 08:51 PM
Old 08-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No, I wasn't referring you saying anything about passion, but some in previous years had commented on how they lacked passion and I didn't get that really, it wasn't about a love story, a happy ending was the point and seemed a little forced in ways which is why I agree with you too about how if they're relationship had more focus in the movies it would have been more consistent and relatable rather than a "whoa, okay they're together".
Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Absolute Fan

Thanks for clarifying...yes my point is that Harry & Ginny's relationship just felt very forced and rushed in the last few movies, it just didn't feel organic to me, unlike Ron & Hermione's relationship. And the lack of passion didn't help, while HP is not a love story and I didn't expect it to be either, but I just wish Harry & Ginny's relationship was portrayed better in the movies, they didn't necessarily need to make their relationship passionate, but there should've been better development to steadily build up their relationship, but instead their relationship just felt forced and hastily put together.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I would have preferred if they had paid Harry with Ginny earlier rather than putting her with that boyfriend of hers and then him and the dark haired girl, can't remember her name now of course, but it would have been more relatable and believable and when we see their kiss, it may have held that 'passion' that others complained was missing you know?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I think the Harry/Ginny romance didn't get much attention in the script-writing because it wasn't essential to the plot, and because the three-way friendship between him, Hermione and Ron was so important to their character growths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL100 (View Post)
I do love Ron's vision of Harry and Hermione together kissing, that scene was so symbolic because it represented Ron's jealousy and insecurities about Hermione's feelings for Harry and her relationship with him, Ron always knew Harry & Hermione were very close and her seemingly always choosing Harry above everything else. But I think Ron wasn't just jealous or insecure about Harry as a love rival, I think he was also envious of Harry himself, I believe Ron also had a sort of inferiority complex towards Harry, Harry was a very powerful wizard, he was the "chosen one" afterall and the 'hero' who will save the world. In comparison, Ron really wasn't that good of a wizard, he was Harry's less talented sidekick, always following in Harry's shadow, and even though I do believe that deep down Ron loves and cares about Harry very much as his bestfriend, but I think there will always be a part of Ron that will always envy Harry and feel inferior to Harry in every way. And I think Ron's inferiority complex and jealousy was apparent in "The Goblet of Fire" when he wrongly thought Harry had submitted his own name for the Triwizard tournament and for a while he was really angry at Harry about it and avoided him during the beginning of the movie. And also during Ron's vision of Harry & Hermione together, the illusion of Harry told Ron that even his own mother would prefer Harry as her son and Hermione told Ron that he was "nothing compared to Harry". All of that just gives me the impression that Ron's jealousy and envy and insecurities about Harry run much deeper than just Hermione's relationship with Harry, Ron was envious and jealous of Harry in general.
Well said, Linda I agree that Ron's envy towards Harry in terms of how he was appreciated as a person was as clear as anything in that dream sequence, and it was a necessary issue for Ron to face before moving forward in Deathly Hallows Part 2.

I saw that dream sequence as Ron confronting HIMSELF, seeing himself as his own worst enemy, and needing to put that self-hatred behind him so that he can finally be ready for a true friendship with Harry and a relationship with Hermione.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree Gwen, it wasn't a main focus and their friendship grew when they were around one another period, but it was weird by the end for them to be thrown together without having at least a scene or two with a past you know?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
I agree Gwen, it wasn't a main focus and their friendship grew when they were around one another period, but it was weird by the end for them to be thrown together without having at least a scene or two with a past you know?
Yeah, I see what you mean Chamber of Secrets was the only other movie that really focused on them as a potential pairing, (when he saved her from Tom Riddle.)

I think the Harry/Ginny pairing felt a little false because it was identified that he and Hermione had a stronger connection - even in friendship - and so Ginny, unfortunately, felt like a consolation prize.

I think having her end up with Harry was a convenient way for Rowling to keep Ron's family at the forefront of the story.

I don't want this to come out as anti - Harry/Ginny, because I actually think they're quite cute in Deathly Hallows. But yeah, I think because I'm a multi-shipper, Harry/Hermione felt more real and believable to me. I think their soulmates thing was the strongest thing about the story, in a way. (And don't get me wrong - Ron and Hermione as the 'opposites attract' pairing worked, too )
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree. I'm not Anti either and don't feel it's coming out that way, just a feeling of being forced because of the lack of scenes really.

These films would be good for this weekend's Sci-Fi/Fantasy watch!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

^ Yes, they would! Will shortlist them not sure if I'd choose an earlier or later one.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great photo!

I love the first 3/4 the most! Lighter until the 4th when Cedric dies.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

really love this fan art

Harry Potter Chocolate Frog Card
Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's really Thanks for sharing Alison!
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top