Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2019, 06:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFoley16 (View Post)
I agree totally how much Patrick and his brother look alike.
They could have passed for twins!

I watched Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time last week and although I have a lot of respect for how Rami plays Freddie with such vigorous passion and plays the sporadic mental breakdowns very well, I did feel it was more a biopic of QUEEN itself than of Freddie.

I guess they had to do that to appeal to the masses who enjoy musical sing-alongs more than dramatic heaviness. I understand that but I still prefer the docudrama I saw of Freddie's last days which really dug deep into his hospital appointments and his most intimate relationships.

Bohemian Rhapsody still felt too Hollywood-ish to me with its emphasis on the Live Aid concert (right after Freddie's diagnosis reveal scene, which is dealt with far too swiftly) and the overly dramatic arguments with his boss and bandmates

But it exceeded my expectations. It was a respectable effort by all.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm glad you were overall pleased with Bohemian Rhapsody Gwen. I agree they did a sort of Hollywood hype to a lot of the story and glamorized certain parts or made certain parts too easy. The part that they went into LiveAid after Freddie revealing his illness is not actually true. He didn't tell them of his condition until around they were recording an album in the late '80s called The Miracle.
If I want the full story of Freddie and/or the guys I definitely would lean more toward a documentary like you mentioned. I'm glad Queen got back into the limelight though and it was such joy last year to hear how many people re-discovered their music. I was worried how their movie would go over and I was pleasantly surprised too.
This turned out to be a longer post than I intended, sorry. :/
CatFoley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
I'm glad you were overall pleased with Bohemian Rhapsody Gwen. I agree they did a sort of Hollywood hype to a lot of the story and glamorized certain parts or made certain parts too easy. The part that they went into LiveAid after Freddie revealing his illness is not actually true. He didn't tell them of his condition until around they were recording an album in the late '80s called The Miracle.
Yes I recall Brian May confirming this He also said that Freddie's foot was badly affected/destroyed by the disease.

Quote:
This turned out to be a longer post than I intended, sorry. :/
Don't apologize! Your views are highly appreciated.

The 2012 TV movie Drew Peterson: Untouchable is really good. I watched it 2 days ago. Rob Lowe is excellent and Haley Cuoco does a decent job of playing the naive wife who tragically disappears.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Obsessed Fan

I remember Brian saying that about Freddie's foot too. Freddie was truly an inspiration throughout his life and right until its end.
I've not seen that Drew Peterson movie but Rob Lowe's definitely got the cocky attitude abilities to play him.
CatFoley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
I've not seen that Drew Peterson movie but Rob Lowe's definitely got the cocky attitude abilities to play him.
he is very good in this film

Okay without intending to sound morbid, I would not be surprised at all if big film studios catch wind of this real-life event and turn it into a movie:

I mean, it has the makings of a horror/drama/sci-fi. Post-apocalyptic cash-in waiting to happen. Hollywood love to exploit things.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-30-2019, 04:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

If anyone is interested in the history of the TITANIC disaster (not the James Cameron movie, the actual event itself including specific people whether it be victims or survivors) -

Here's a recommend: Waking The Titanic, a lovely 1hr docudrama from 2012

I'll bring this over from the MOVIE REVIEWS thread to sum up my thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL - Waking The Titanic (2017)

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

A well-documented drama with interviews from real-life relatives, focusing specifically on a family of 14 from Aldergoole (Ireland) who planned to emigrate to America on the TITANIC ship in search for more prosperous lives. Very detailed and very emotional.

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

I don't have an answer to this, it was a well-made docudrama that paid full respect to both the victims and survivors of the tragedy in 1912.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

It's a real-life documentation so I wouldn't call them characters. But the 3 survivors of the family were heroes in their own right. WHITE STAR LINE company treated them terribly in the aftermath of the tragedy. I was shocked by the revelations of how they tried to bribe / manipulate the sisters into keeping quiet about everything so that they wouldn't be sued.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

WHITE STAR LINE company who Titanic set sail with, for the reasons stated in the answer above. They should have been held accountable as criminals for the way in which they treated the survivors.

+ Comments:

I watched it on Christmas day and 5 days later I am still moved by the memory of having watched it. A definite recommend for anyone who is interested in the history of TITANIC and wants to know about a specific family such as the Aldergoole 14 (11 of whom sadly perished)

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Every Burt Reynolds fan should watch his last movie, The Last Movie Star

It's a Drama movie and doesn't advertise itself as autobiographical (his character is not named after himself), but there are several scenes in which he VISUALLY confronts his younger self as he played memorable roles in movies, and it all feels very real.

It also touches upon Burt's real life passion for football, his marriage, and his sense that his Hollywood career is coming to a close. It all feels very... Art imitating life.

I'm watching the end of it right now and it's very moving.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-24-2020, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I'm watching a documentary about OJ Simpson and it's covering the Rodney King trial (which reminded me of that whole arc influencing Edward Norton's character in AMERICAN HISTORY X) and it's so powerful.

I had never seen clips of the actual beating of Rodney until now... It's horrific to say the least.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-10-2020, 04:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

A docudrama into the behind the making of THE OMEN and POLTERGEIST -

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-30-2021, 02:03 AM
I am a basketball genius!

Just about anything Poltergeist related I don't mind checking out. I found the Documentary "Crazy Love" on Tubi & Pluto T.V. Have you watched or heard of it?
canflam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

was watching this earlier today

it was interesting to hear from her longtime assistant who was there from the very beginning and the people on the record label about what Britney was like back then

Britney’s dad doesn’t sound like a good person at all even back then

I thought this video someone made back in May was really well done though

atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Gwen - Have you been following this at all?

the paparazzi all need to burn in hell for what they did to her

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodsmariano (View Post)
nobody should have to deal with the paparazzi like that though no matter how famous they are

also her breakdown was clearly a cry for help and the media just made it a joke/made fun of it (disgusting really)

it’s quite sad/haunting how Lucky and Everytime (the music video) really foreshadowed everything
ah the first video got taken down

well I like the Icon Ruined By Fame documentary I posted a YouTube video to more anyways

it’s just better made?

and the person who made it has amazing editing skills

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 02-09-2021 at 03:15 AM
Old 02-09-2021, 03:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I haven't seen the documentary but I am aware of the subject matter it's been trending on twitter for days

I do love those songs you mentioned (Lucky/Everytime) and you're right about them being haunting and foreshadowing.

People seem to be giving Justin Timberlake hell for how he 'treated her'... I haven't seen the documentary but I'm confused, because I grew up thinking that his song 'Cry Me A River' confirmed that she cheated on him?
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-09-2021, 03:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

I definitely recommend watching the video I posted though

the 2nd one

yeah it was never fully confirmed though

so it was just all speculation

people are upset because they’re saying that he built his solo career on shaming her

and there was a radio talk show? interview that he did where he was joking about having sex with her after they broke up

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainmen...pears-1509658/

while I agree that what he did was wrong I think this new documentary is making people put more focus on that when it should be about the conservatorship
Old 02-09-2021, 03:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodsmariano (View Post)
and there was a radio talk show? interview that he did where he was joking about having sex with her after they broke up

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainmen...pears-1509658/
Ohhh yeah, that's not nice. Wonder if there's some tit-for-tat revenge thing that happened there? I recall so much drama playing out in the tabloids over their split. It was nasty.

Quote:
I think this new documentary is making people put more focus on that when it should be about the conservatorship
Yeah the priorities are definitely warped Britney's fandom are a tad problematic at the moment, playing the blame game when Britney herself doesn't appear to be initiating any kind of argument with anyone (not Justin or Diane Sawyer, who is also receiving hate)
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Reply   Post New Thread