Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2019, 11:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with you guys that I like that it's not a typical rom-com where the 2 main characters end up together and that it's about a relationship that didn't work out

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 01-30-2019 at 02:44 AM
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:46 AM
Obsessed Fan

Thank you for bringing that video over. It popped up in my you tube recommendations recently and it is the reason why I gave this movie a chance. I've been avoiding it forever precisely because I thought it was the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope played straight. Plus, when I see that actress, my mind goes “it's gonna be a ~quirky indie girl character, no thanks” (which is probably not fair, given I've never actually seen her in anything).

Can't say I ended up enjoying the movie too much, but it was ok. I felt it unnecessarily dragged at parts. It also could have used more and, sometimes, better humor. The narrator was funny at times. “[He] grew up believing that he'd never truly be happy until the day he met the one. This belief stemmed from early exposure to sad British pop music and a total misreading of the movie The Graduate.” The scene where Tom imagined himself as the protagonist of a European art film worked fine as a gentle parody of the character and the genre. I also liked the scene when Summer and Tom gave up pretending they were enjoying the museum exhibit and want to watch a dumb-but-fun movie instead. But some of the other humorous moments fell flat for me.

The non-linear narrative was a good choice for the story being told. The characters were not as annoying as I expected them to be. Tom was selfish and downright pathetic at times but still sympathetic enough. I liked how he finally learned to focus on himself by the end of the movie. Though I can't see the ending convinced me he wasn't gonna go and do the same thing with Autum. When I saw the finally sun scene my first thought was “oh no, there he goes again” but maybe that wasn't the intended interpretation. Definitely isn't the only possible one. Summer's quirkiness was cringey, but it was a lot more toned down than I thought it would be. I liked that she didn't seem to participate in or encourage Tom's bland-but-pretentious indie boy tendencies and misogynistic tendencies. Like when she told him she hadn't heard of the band he was talking about in the most annoying way possible. Or when she essentially told him ppl/women dress how they like and not to please him. I found her change of heart about fate and romance at the end a bit meh, but people do change their outlooks. Maybe she just really fell in love for the first time and started, permanently or temporarily, seeing life in a more romantic (and fatalistic, for some reason) light.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
Thank you for bringing that video over. It popped up in my you tube recommendations recently and it is the reason why I gave this movie a chance. I've been avoiding it forever precisely because I thought it was the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope played straight. Plus, when I see that actress, my mind goes “it's gonna be a ~quirky indie girl character, no thanks” (which is probably not fair, given I've never actually seen her in anything).

Can't say I ended up enjoying the movie too much, but it was ok. I felt it unnecessarily dragged at parts. It also could have used more and, sometimes, better humor. The narrator was funny at times. “[He] grew up believing that he'd never truly be happy until the day he met the one. This belief stemmed from early exposure to sad British pop music and a total misreading of the movie The Graduate.” The scene where Tom imagined himself as the protagonist of a European art film worked fine as a gentle parody of the character and the genre. I also liked the scene when Summer and Tom gave up pretending they were enjoying the museum exhibit and want to watch a dumb-but-fun movie instead. But some of the other humorous moments fell flat for me.

The non-linear narrative was a good choice for the story being told. The characters were not as annoying as I expected them to be. Tom was selfish and downright pathetic at times but still sympathetic enough. I liked how he finally learned to focus on himself by the end of the movie. Though I can't see the ending convinced me he wasn't gonna go and do the same thing with Autumn. When I saw the finally sun scene my first thought was “oh no, there he goes again” but maybe that wasn't the intended interpretation. Definitely isn't the only possible one. Summer's quirkiness was cringey, but it was a lot more toned down than I thought it would be. I liked that she didn't seem to participate in or encourage Tom's bland-but-pretentious indie boy tendencies and misogynistic tendencies. Like when she told him she hadn't heard of the band he was talking about in the most annoying way possible. Or when she essentially told him ppl/women dress how they like and not to please him. I found her change of heart about fate and romance at the end a bit meh, but people do change their outlooks. Maybe she just really fell in love for the first time and started, permanently or temporarily, seeing life in a more romantic (and fatalistic, for some reason) light.
That's nice that you decided to give this movie a chance even though you were initially wary of it but that video wasn't spoiler free so you pretty much knew what it was about it then. I had the general premise when I first watched it but other than that I went into it pretty spoiler free.

I feel like this movie isn't everyone's cup of tea but I personally love it.

The only movies I had previously watched Zooey in before this one were Elf and Bridge To Terabithia (I've never watched New Girl) where she played a similar type of character but I guess less Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

I like how it's a fairly deep movie once you dig under the surface that stays with you long after the end credits roll and it certainly makes you think.

haha I had the same thought with Autumn and the final sun card but I feel like even if that relationship didn't work out either in the end it still would've gone better than Summer and you can tell by the end of the movie that Tom is different

I like that Summer is her own person in this movie and her feminist views on dating and being independent in the karaoke bar scene.

I personally really like that part when Tom asks why she chose to dance with him at the wedding even when she was with someone else at the time and she says, "Because I wanted to."

read this article yesterday and the analysis is really spot on

https://medium.com/@CounttheClock/th...r-11a1e40e6e54

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 01-31-2019 at 04:16 PM
Old 02-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Alycia Debnam-Carey

Loved this one
Old 02-07-2019, 01:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

aww love their reunion

JoJoF92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Moderator Support Team

My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

My family are huge Hall & Oates fans, so they appreciated that song being used in the dance scene

Joseph's character was such a dreamer, and the whole sequence reinforced that.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Alycia Debnam-Carey

Love this movie
Old 03-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

It's a very good thought-provoking movie about how a romance doesn't have to be all dreamy and romantic in order to have a strong impact. Summer is actually a very difficult character to like or understand, and I think that makes her more realistic. She doesn't pick the lead guy as her "forever" guy, and her reasons for that are something she can only fully explain when confronted with the notion of choosing somebody else.

It shows that there isn't always a -villain- in a break-up scenario.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-29-2019, 08:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Alycia Debnam-Carey

Everything you said
Old 07-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Zooey's tribute

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-18-2019, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
hitrecordjoe Today’s the 10 year anniversary of “(500) Days of Summer.” Where did all the time go, @zooeydeschanel???
Joe’s tribute
Old 07-19-2019, 02:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Awww

Amazing how they can be so cute together yet I'm absolutely convinced that the way their relationship goes is 100% the right decision.

He fell in love with the fantasy woman, not the actual woman.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-19-2019, 02:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love their real-life friendship
Reply   Post New Thread