Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2017, 02:21 PM
I am a basketball genius!

I almost finished watching ''Monty Python & The Holy Grail'' last night. I'll try again some other time, since it was quite late, but that is a hilarious film if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Master Fan

Rock My World (2002) - IMDb

Space Warriors (2013) - IMDb

The Deep End (TV Series 2010) - IMDb

Last edited by LightYears; 08-30-2017 at 08:57 PM
Old 08-31-2017, 05:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
The Kingpin has been tied to the Daredevil franchise onscreen since at least as far back as the 2003 movie. Which had a much better Kingpin than Vincent D'Onofrio's lameass one. Isn't the first time I've seen Vincent woefully miscast. He was once cast as Robert E Howard. Something I'd rather forget. Though the awfulness of Netflix's Kingpin isn't all Vincent's fault. The writing for the character is crappy too, with a misguided attempt to "humanize" him.
Well, yeah, I know about the movies, sum1. But Marvel's under no obligation to keep Kingpin in Daredevil's storyline. Technically, Sony could've used him in a Spider-Man movie if they wanted to since he's part of Spider-Man canon. I don't see why the MCU couldn't do that as well now that Spider-Man is in it.

Stitchers
Old 08-31-2017, 10:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Well, yeah, I know about the movies, sum1. But Marvel's under no obligation to keep Kingpin in Daredevil's storyline. Technically, Sony could've used him in a Spider-Man movie if they wanted to since he's part of Spider-Man canon. I don't see why the MCU couldn't do that as well now that Spider-Man is in it.
Each comic book character belongs to some particular company or other and can't be used by any other companies unless there is some sort of agreement like there was with Sony and Disney/Marvel for Spider Man: Homecoming. The Kingpin is treated as part of the Daredevil rights (which now belong to Marvel/Disney). That's just the way it is. Sony can't use him unless they make an agreement with Marvel/Disney.

The fact that Marvel's Netflix shows (which are part of the MCU) used the Kingpin without any involvement from Sony (who own the screen rights to Spider Man) shows that he's not considered part of the Spider Man copyright package, or else the MCU would not have been able to use him, just as they weren't able to use Spider Man until they made a special (and very public) agreement with Sony. This is supported by the fact that the Kingpin has never been in a Sony Spider Man movie but has been in a Daredevil movie. No, Sony could not have used him, because they don't have the copyright to him, because he's not considered part of the Spider Man copyright package, despite their associations in the comics. Just because a character is associated with some character or group's canon in the comics doesn't mean they're considered part of that for the movie/tv copyright. Deadpool has for example been much involved with Avengers in the comics, but he's part of the X-Men copyright for the movies. The Submariner was tied to the Avengers, Defenders, Doctor Strange, Hulk and Captain America in the comics for years, but the MCU can't use him because he's now considered a mutant. The Silver Surfer can't appear in the MCU's cosmic films because he's considered part of the Fantastic Four's canon, owned by Fox. Ronan the Accuser was introduced to be a Fantastic Four villain in the comics, but he and the Kree are part of the MCU copyright for the movies, so Fantastic Four films can't use him. Similarly, Galactus has widespread associations in the comics, but he's considered part of the Fantastic Four copyright in the movies, so the MCU can't use him. The Kingpin is officially considered part of Dardevil's canon, not Spider Man's, for purposes of screen rights. That may seem strange and unjust, but that's the way it is.

As for the MCU using the Kingpin, they already have, in their Netflix shows, and as such they're unlikely to use him in Spider Man movies done by agreement with Sony, because they like to keep the Netflix shows semi-separate from the MCU movies. They've made his story very much part of Daredevil's territory and not Spider Man's.

As it stands, Netflix Daredevil's Kingpin is total crap. Vincent D'Onofrio gives him a defeated, tired, depressed air, which is not only inappropriate for the character but which also makes him a drag to watch. The writing for the show also engages in misguided attempts to humanize the character, which just come off ridiculous. Daredevil's Netflix Kingpin is to the comic book Kingpin what Hayden Christensen's Anakin is to the Star Wars Original Trilogy's Darth Vader.

Watching Daredevil season 2. Better than season 1. Less annoying Kingpin and more Punisher and Elektra. I've just gotten to Elektra's introduction. The show is fairly good, but I prefer the Luke Cage and (particularly) Jessica Jones shows.

Oh and the Daredevil mask has a really awful design visually in the Netflix show.

Last edited by sum1; 08-31-2017 at 11:36 AM
Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM
Master Fan

All the Pretty Horses (2000) - IMDb
Old 09-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Goldfinger
Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Master Fan

Eight Legged Freaks (2002) - IMDb

No Tomorrow (TV Series 2016–2017) - IMDb
Old 09-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Daredevil season 2.

Jon Bernthal's Punisher is the best thing in the season, followed by Elodie Yung's excellent Elektra. Charlie Cox is tolerable as Daredevil but underwhelming and doesn't fit the role. You can really tell the difference between Daredevil, a show with a mediocre lead, and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, shows with great leads. I'm finding it a bit of a drag getting through two seasons of Daredevil and next up I have Iron Fist, which will probably not be an improvement. I'm looking forward to Defenders, which brings back Jessica and Luke.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Master Fan

No Tomorrow (TV Series 2016–2017) - IMDb
Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The Spy Who Loved Me
Old 09-03-2017, 05:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

I prefer the Austin Powers take on that title. Much more honest.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The Man With The Golden Gun

The Spy Who Shagged Me? Yeah, I liked that movie. But The Spy Who Loved Me is my favorite Roger Moore movie. Basically they couldn't use the plot from the novel because Ian Fleming was so disappointed by how poorly received the book was that he would only allow the filmmakers to use the title. The two henchmen from the book(renamed Shandor and Jaws in the film) were the only elements from the book used in the movie. The majority of the film used plot elements recycled from films like You Only Live Twice, Thunderball, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It's amazing that they could've easily fed it up, but instead they ended up making one of the best Bond films ever, and Roger Moore's personal favorite.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

You seem to watch a lot of Bond films.

Still toiling through Daredevil season 2. The season's picked up a bit. The Punisher is great in it, but I'm sick of the Hand (The Handjob?) already. Legacy of Frank Miller, who was always way too fond of bloody Ninjas.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You think Miller was too fond of ninjas, you should read Larry Hama. But without Hama, we wouldn't have Snake Eyes. And that's actually strange, because Miller didn't have any ninjas in his Batman stories. Other writers did, though.

Yeah, one of my favorite childhood memories is sitting on the sofa with my dad watching the ABC Sunday Night Movie, which ran nothing but Bond movies every Sunday night during the summers of the 70's and 80's back when ABC had the television rights to the Bond films. My dad loved the Bond films when he was alive.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Master Fan

2017 MTV Video Music Awards