Old 12-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It sure is!

Old 12-23-2019, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like traditions like that.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It sure is an amazing movie to see every year!
Old 12-24-2019, 09:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

I've never seen it. The French Canadian "holiday" movies are quite different.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'd like to see one!
Old 12-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think you have to grow up with them to get the traditional aspect to them? Most of them are specifically Christmas-themed. There's just the same "special programme" schedule every year and so you come to associate this movie and that movie with the Christmas season.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Okay
Old 12-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quebec is a very difficult place to explain when it comes to culture.

Would it help if I said we're the only place in the world that Titanic (the one with Leonardo DiCapprio and Kate Winslet) wasn't number one at the box office when it came out? A movie about a hockey team was.

We're different here.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I see the difference!
Old 12-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks.

It's hard because, sometimes, I think there are people who think I'm saying we're better than other places because I have a hard time explaining that things work differently here and that it's not a bad thing. For the record, I don't believe Quebecers are better than other people. Not at all.

But things do work differently here and it's one of those things where it just is what it is.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Is your movie and tv shows usually play in English if they are or are they dubbed in French?
Old 12-27-2019, 09:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

In the last 20 years, some English-language movies have snuck in the classic viewing. Probably the same ones as everyone else: Elf, Love Actually, etc. The Sound of Music I've watched since I was a baby, so that's one of the few English-language films I can stand to watch dubbed. Otherwise (and the same holds true for every other French Canadian I know) I avoid dubbing like the plague.

I guess the Lucky Luke movies were originally in English, but I've only ever seen them in French and, as they're cartoons, it's hard to call that dubbing for me...

But on the kid's side, it's mostly a mix of French cartoon movies (yes, Lucky Luke, but also the original Tintins and Astérix et Obélix) and kids' movies made here in Quebec. When I was growing up, there was a director who made a new kids movie every year (or so it seems) and I think they pretty much all became hits. (Rufus Wainwright was in one!) In my DVD collection, I have three box sets, each containing 6 of his movies, and I can think of a few off the top of my head that aren't in there... so there are enough to not even have the same ones every year.

On the adult side, all the big local TV shows do Christmas specials (of course, the big night is New Year's Eve where all the topical and variety shows do specials). That movie about a hockey team that "beat" Titanic at the box office? It spawned a trilogy that also airs every year at Christmas. Ditto a couple of other "seasonal movies" made in Quebec. And, of course, the French movie Joyeux Noël (about an impromptu truce between Scottish, French and German soldiers on Christmas Eve at some point or other during the First World War) also airs every year.

Like, I've never watched the ball drop in my life. Again, not that I think what happens here is better... but they're our traditions, so I guess I like them better, but it would obviously be different if I had been born in Ontario or Nova Scotia or something.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Here is an interesting one!

Old 12-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

That doesn't look like something I'd watch.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I watched the 1931 version of “The Champ” with Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper! Tragic story and Jackie Cooper is too heartbreaking yet adorable as a little boy trying to behave tough as nails but when things go bad he cries and I wanna hug him!

Then right after that finished the remake was going to play, the 1979 one with Jon Voight and Ricky Schroeder and I decided to record that one cause that one is even more tear-jerky and no one can watch this movie twice in one sitting

In the DVD commentary, Jon and Ricky both got choked up themselves while watching it,
Closed Thread   Post New Thread