Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2021, 02:31 AM
I am a basketball genius!

There's a book coming out titled "I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump's Final Year" by Phillip Rucker & Carol Leonnig & a video recording of those authors interview of Trump from March 31st aired on CNN earlier. He oddly brought up John McCain in this interview. Of course he went on about election fraud & judges being the cause of his loss. Trump blamed the Capital Police for "ushering" people into the Capital building in D.C. in January. I do plan to read this book. Just am more thankful that Trump's presidency has ended after hearing his delusional state of mind again.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

I've hesitated in reading Trump books now we're finally rid of him. In the last years of George W. Bush Jr's presidency, I bought a wad of books about his presidency and, as soon as he was gone... It's like I was so relieved that it was finally over that I couldn't make myself go there.

Given how Trump managed to outdo George W. Bush in incompetence and cronyism, I don't know that I could stomach revisiting that.

Of course, we're obviously still feeling the side effects of Trump's QAnon-loving, dog-whistling, coke-snorting ways, Maybe it would be different now.
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

i am re-reading the Hunger Games prequel book, A Ballad Of Snakes And Songbirds.

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Jen's Herald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love re-reading books I've loved before. It's like visiting friends.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:20 PM

I've re-read graphic novels, but not Non-Fiction books that I can recall. I started on "Crime & Punishment" & hopefully sometime this fall I'll have finished it.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like re-reading some favourites too. The books I have re-read the most I think

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Shining
Pet Semetary
Charlotte’s Web
Mummies Dearest

Weird variety!
Old 08-15-2021, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's true that re-reading non-fiction books can be a little pointless... It sorta depends, for me. Sometimes I've forgotten what they say. Sometimes I really enjoy the writer's voice. Sometimes they're cookbooks.

And I think it's perfectly normal to have a wide variety in the novels or works of fiction that we re-read. After all, we all have varied tastes. And different books are associated with different parts of our lives, too.

There's a New France novel that I reread once a year or so that I discovered when I was a teenager. I probably wouldn't pick up that book today, because it was written for a younger audience. But I still love it. Kinda like I still love much of the music I loved as a teenager, if sometimes for nothing more than the nostalgia.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

As usual I got 3 books from the library to try and read in 3 weeks or less. HA!!!

One about a doll that keeps moving around (for Halloween)
One with essays about authors' favorite bookstores
One for Teacher Self Care even though I'm not a teacher I work the same setting they do.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have so many self-care books. I seem incapable of resist buying self-care books with a swear word in the title.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just bought Melissa Benoist's book.
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

I didn't realize she had one. Is is an autobiography or more of a motivational thing?
Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's a middle grade fantasy. For kids. I'm planning to read it to my kiddos!
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I was thinking she’s a bit young to write an autobiography already
Old 10-28-2021, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

When has that stopped anyone? A lot of other actresses not much older than her have written someone like an autobigraphy. Well, I say "written"...

Because of her activism on behalf of mental health and domestic violence I thought perhaps she'd wirtten something like an autobiography along those themes.

I have to say, I'm kinda thrilled she's gone in a more interesting direction. I mean, I would read what she has to say about mental health and domestic violence... that lady's been through some stuff... but I'm glad she's exploring her creativity. I really hope it's good, too. For whatever reason, I feel a lot of good things about Melissa Benoist and I want her to be fulfilled.

I have a weakness for autobiographies written by people who worked in the service industry (flight attendants, cooks, hotel staff, and even old-timey domestif staff from the age of big manor houses). I just started a new one and I'm not sure how I'll get on with it, but the author certainly has a distinctive voice. He particularly reminds me of my dad in the way he has strong opinions and a pretty vague/meandering way of expressing them. It's kinda charming grandiloquence, but I'm only on page 10 so far. Who knows, I could get bored with the tone of moral superiority.

For example, right now, I'm amused at the heteronormative prejudices (men are this way, their wives that way), but it could start to grate on my nerves if he doesn't move on...
Old 02-02-2022, 10:20 PM

There have been more books banned by public schools & other places recently. "Maus" is 1 of them. I did not know of that 1. Public libraries in this county & at least another 1 near here do have Maus available to read & more copies have been ordered recently with the demand being so high for it. "The Complete Maus" has 6 copies in this county library system & 99 holds currently. "Maus: A Survivor's Tale, I my Father Bleeds History" has 26 current holds on it in my county. I just learned of this book. Any of you happened to read it? Also "To Kill a Mockingbird" has voted to be removed from required readings at public schools in some cities.
Reply   Post New Thread