Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The Volturi Appreciation #3: B/c what Aro wants, Aro gets. That means you, Bella!

Welcome to the 3rd Volturi Appreciation thread

The Volturi are considered royalty among vampires and have been in existence for at least 3,000 years. They are the most influential and largest coven, residing in the city of Volterra, Italy.

More on the Volturi:

Source

Fan List:
-never think
-haleybub
-lakers0604
-starzscarme
-Mokoto Ayoama
-eviekins15
-angelcullen
-sethamgal
-L&P.Scott
-Honey-girl
-GrhmLz
-SergeantPepper
-loveslullaby

Current coven members:
Leaders:
  • Aro
  • Caius
  • Marcus

Guards:
  • Jane
  • Alec
  • Heidi
  • Felix
  • Demetri

Special powers:
Aro - can read someones mind once he has touched that person
Caius - ???
Marcus - can sense relationships
Jane - can inflict pain with her thoughts
Alec - Alec can desensitize people, make them blind, deaf, and numb to any feeling if he wishes to.
The Volturi use him to desensitize people as they attack in a war and if they are being merciful to a victim before they kill them.

When he uses his power, it appears like a hazy mist and he can cut off multiple people’s senses at once while Jane can only inflict her power on one person at a time.
Heidi - ???
Felix - ???
Demetri - he's a tracker and can find people using their mind

Note: I'm unsure if we know Demetri's special powers or not. If anyone can clarify that, let me know
Old 12-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

ty
Old 12-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread!
Old 12-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You are both welcome.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT.

Quick thought. I don't know if this has ever been discussed before; however, does anyone else wonder why the Volturi (Aro, in particular) just didn't keep Bella and change her themselves if they were curious to see how her "abilities" would impact her as an immortal? I mean, Edward and Alice were outnumbered - they easily could have gotten away with it.

And ...

If SM writes a fifth book - does anyone think it's possible that the Volturi will try to get their hands on Bella, forcefully at some point, now that she's been turned into a vampire and they know/have seen how her ability has manifested? I've thought about it.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

I honestly dont know ab the last part with a 5th book. If SM wanted to maybe she'd have them try but they wouldn't succeed cause she'd want a happy ending
Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

True about a happy ending part - but maybe a kidnapping plot would be introduced for dramatic purposes and then the Cullens/wolves might get Bella back somehow?! I'm having a hard time picturing how else the Volturi are going to be used further on down the road without it feeling repetitive. They already confronted the Cullen's. My guess would be that the next logical step would be to take action in some way but I could be wrong.

I know they want Edward and Alice too so maybe they'll all get snatched up. Kidding!

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

LMAO Kidnap Alice & Edward& Bella
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Quick thought. I don't know if this has ever been discussed before; however, does anyone else wonder why the Volturi (Aro, in particular) just didn't keep Bella and change her themselves if they were curious to see how her "abilities" would impact her as an immortal? I mean, Edward and Alice were outnumbered - they easily could have gotten away with it.

Truthfully, I think the chase was half the fun for Aro. Just like he could have simply taken Alice or Edward from Carlisle and the family at any time if he desired their powers to be among his forces. The Cullens are strong but not so strong that they could have defeated them. There is also the chance that had they tried, and ended up killing Edward and Alice in the process, a changed Bella might have taken them all out. As implausible as that is, I am sure that Aro considered it because he's keen to such things.

Quote:
If SM writes a fifth book - does anyone think it's possible that the Volturi will try to get their hands on Bella, forcefully at some point, now that she's been turned into a vampire and they know/have seen how her ability has manifested? I've thought about it.
First and foremost, if anyone publishes a 5th book (and I am not counting Midnight Sun because it's not part of the extended chronology of the other books as much as its a reinterpretation of Twilight), I am going to buy that book and go down to where ever it was published and hit who ever published it in the face with the book. Seriously. BD was bad enough. Them trying to cram whatever else into another book would make me want to kill someone. But for the sake of discussion, I'm going to take a chill pill and answer the question. It's an interesting prospect, certainly, but I am trying to work out the logistics in my mind. I cannot conceive them getting Bella in a state where she is subdued enough for them to take her. I understand they are the Volturi and they can track vampires down and eliminate them but Bella is written to be this extraordinary vampire who does not suffer the plague of being a newborn and then defuses a whole war with her powers. Do I think they'd try? Maybe. Do I think they'd succeed? Not really. It would counteract the entire ending of BD, making it even more unfortunate.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Beth- I agree about the chase being half the fun for Aro. But also say he had went after Bella, obv it would piss off the Cullens. I don't think he wanted the other vampires to be mad at him. as we saw in BD when there as the reunion of vamps, he backed down. I think had he taken Bella for himself then maybe the prospect of vampire reuniting to bring down the Volturi would have been possible.

I think he wanted to retain the respect.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's true. He said it himself (or someone said it, anyway), he was terribly fond of Carlisle and did not want to upset him. Aro knew his place and his power but I don't think he really wanted to upset the balance, if you will.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

As much as people feared him, they also respected what he has done. And Aro really wanted to keep that respect. I think he is a loyal guy in most respects.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Alot of good points being brought up.

However, I remember my sister and I discussing it before and her impression of the Volturi from BD is that the Volturi are very crafty and power hungry. Aro fronts this facade and hides behind the benefits of the "law" for all vampires, when in reality, all that matters to him is power and what it can do for him. But the Volturi are just very clever in how they go about obtaining/recruiting the power for themselves. Even that one vampire confronted them on the field - calling them out on holding others accountable to the same laws they break themselves when they deem fit/necessary. Also, the Cullen's were told of how the Volturi come in and attack "through a back door", so to speak, in order to get what/who they want. They target and intentionally try to weave "a crime" where there is none and act on that deception.

This is kind of what happened in the end of BD, I would think. The Volturi used the Denali connection with Irina (when she reported the existence of Renesmee) to their advantage. They brought their "witnesses" and wanted to initiate an attack after having Tanya witness the death of her sister, push her and the Cullen's to retaliate, so they would have an "excuse" to attack the Cullen's and anyone standing by them. I think it sounds like an example of the deepest form of manipulation found at the Volturi core.

Granted, yes, I do believe that at one time Aro was very fond of Carlisle, and in some respects, still is. However, with that said, I also think it's possible to accept that he's starting to perceive him and the rest of the Cullen's as a looming threat as far as a concentration of power is concerned. But, yes, since Bella has been presented as some type of "super-vamp" - we would probably have to weigh the reality on how Aro and the rest of the Volturi could get a hold of Bella. My presumption would be that they'd go with master manipulation, as is their accostumed style. Maybe through emotional blackmail somehow, rather than attainment through physical force, when it comes to using Edward and the others as bait for the hook.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 12-27-2009 at 08:06 PM
Old 12-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Quote:
I also think it's possible to accept that he's starting to perceive him and the rest of the Cullen's as a looming threat as far as a concentration of power is concerned.
Oh without a doubt. He definitely saw them as a threat in one way or another.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aro does not necessarily fit the archetype of a power hungry dictator, though. Did he crave power? Sure. Most people of authority do. That is why they hold positions of authority. But he was never the aggressor. He was content to stay in Volterra and man the vampire world from that place. Had Edward not gone there and caused a commotion, then everything would have been fine, of that I am sure. In fact, they had not tried to recruit Edward or Alice up until that point, as far as we know, even though Aro much desired their powers.

I think the most striking thing about Aro, and the other Volturi, is that I do not think they would ever engage in a war over power after the initial one (where they took power from the Romanian vampires) because it would jeopardize their existences because that was the most important thing to them. That is why they didn't want humans to know about them..because their "lives" would be endanger, not their power.

Quote:
This is kind of what happened in the end of BD, I would think. The Volturi used the Denali connection with Irina (when she reported the existence of Renesmee) to their advantage. They brought their "witnesses" and wanted to initiate an attack after having Tanya witness the death of her sister, push her and the Cullen's to retaliate, so they would have an "excuse" to attack the Cullen's and anyone standing by them. I think it sounds like an example of the deepest form of manipulation found at the Volturi core.

I do not think they were looking for an excuse, really. Nor would an attack on their part have been a surprise. I mean, the Cullens were basically recruiting and collecting fellow covens because they knew that the Volturi would come with intention of a fight. And, to be far to the Volturi, Nessie was tantamount to a newborn vampire. The law clearly stated that creating newborns was not allowed because they cannot be controlled. Bella was the exception because of what Aro saw. And there were no exceptions. I mean, they sent Jane along to take care of the Victoria/newborns problem and I doubt, had she not been mauled by Edward, they would have listened to her reasons for doing what she did. They would have slaughtered her and all the newborns.