Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted to RSS
Hi, people! Would someone show some pitty, please, and explain the difference between icons and avatars? The more avies and icons I look at, the more they look alike.

Addie
Someone needs to take pitty on my also. I think the ones that are in animation are called avatars. The still one's icons. Anyway that's my way of thinking. I could be all wrong. Does anyone know for sure?

I have no idea where the word avatar came from. What the dictionary says and what they call avatars on the forum just doesn't jive. I've always thought they should be called what they are "Animation." My husband who is the true artist in the family said: What the hell is an avatar?

I think I'm going to ask around and see if I can get some answers to are questions.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted to RSS
Hi, people! Would someone show some pitty, please, and explain the difference between icons and avatars? The more avies and icons I look at, the more they look alike.

Addie

On this board they are one in the same. I think the original concept of an icon is what we call avatars or avies but they're used interchangeably on this site....

so don't worry
Old 07-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Elite Fan

I think avies were 45x45 and icons are 100x100.

kenny | credit
Old 07-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Master Fan

Here's my question regarding the difference between avatars and icons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn7
What's the difference between an Avatar and Icon? And where did the name Avatar come from? What the dictionary says about Avatars doesn't sound like what we call Avatars. I've always been confused by this and when someone else brought the subject up I decided to see if I could find out. Shouldn't those with movement be called, "Animation"?

Thanks in advance.
The answer from the Graphic's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykayelle
An avatar and an icon is, essentially, the same thing. They have tons of names, icons, buddy icons, avatars, avies, avs, user pictures, etc. I don't know where the word comes from, but my guess would be from some software developpper who called the pictures avatars and it stuck.

Moving avs are technically animations, but since they are made for the same purpose, they are still considered to be an avatar, and are generally caled that, or a moving avatar.

Hope that helped a little.
Well that's about as clear as mud. So there's the answer Addie.
I might add according to the dictionary, avatar has something to do with incarnation and deity. Go figure. Icon is to do with an image. Bottom line for me is, a picture that has movement should be called "Animation" And pictures with no movement should be called Icons. And that's how I'm going to address any of the work I do from now on.

Well that's the lesson for today. See what you started Addie with one little question.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Master Fan

I'm leaving on vacation in the morning so I thought I leave you guys with some icon's

Old 07-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Supreme Fan

Marilyn, thank you!! They are so good!! Love them.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:19 AM
New Fan

Marilyn, thanks for posting the icons. They're great. There's a picture of Keri and Scott S. by lamppost during credits at the beginning of Season 2 that was taken off after just a couple of episodes. Too bad...I think it's one of the best of the two of them together. Also .. where is that picture of Keri and Scott S. arm wrestling from?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy1416
Marilyn, thanks for posting the icons. They're great. There's a picture of Keri and Scott S. by lamppost during credits at the beginning of Season 2 that was taken off after just a couple of episodes. Too bad...I think it's one of the best of the two of them together. Also .. where is that picture of Keri and Scott S. arm wrestling from?

that was just a promo. they never aired that shot.. it got lost somewhere. the dvd and the original airing looks a bit different.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Supreme Fan

The picture of Keri & Scott S. arm wrestling was taken during the filming of the episode, "Oops...Noel Did It Again."
Old 07-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Nickels
The picture of Keri & Scott S. arm wrestling was taken during the filming of the episode, "Oops...Noel Did It Again."
I was wondering where that picture was from. It's so cute!

marilyn, Nice icons!
Old 07-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Fan

Those icons from the credits are amazing! Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Supreme Fan

could someone repost the av with the arm wrestling picture? I tried skimming the first pages, but I couldn't find it

Thank you Lemurian
icon by: Bleeding_Muse
"Well he won't be so happy when he discovers his wife is a fruit-munching monster! -Merlin
Old 07-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriberri21
could someone repost the av with the arm wrestling picture? I tried skimming the first pages, but I couldn't find it

i don't think there is an avie of that one... but i will look for the pic and see what i can do...

in the meantime...

a new speedy avatar using the comic-con pics...

i found a pic from the same episode but it isn't the arm-wrestling one...

Old 07-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Supreme Fan

aw, such cute av's ..he looks much better after a hair cut is it worth sitting through underworld just to see him?

Thank you Lemurian
icon by: Bleeding_Muse
"Well he won't be so happy when he discovers his wife is a fruit-munching monster! -Merlin
Old 07-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Passionate Fan

Love the avis!
It's my ARMOR."