Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's good to be passionate. If you don't care your just part of the apathetic herd and that’s just terrible. It's everyones right to have an opinion.

You've still got time for the book challenge, like over two months. You've got time Steph. How many are you at now?

Mandy
Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I might do the 50 book challenge next year

I'd do it this year, because there's actually quite a chance that I'd make it, but I'm sure that if I'd try to make a list now of all the books I've read this year, I'd forget half and I'd end up putting stuff I read last year on there too I know I've read about 15 books over the last 3 months though... Hmm.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's impressive. Any books recs? And what genre do you read primarly? I thrive on fiction people have turned me on to because they pick far better than I do. Although there are some authors who are good stand-bys.

Mandy
Old 10-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I do have to mention that 15 books in 3 months is a lot for me too it's just that I've been bored a lot over those 3 months

I usually read fiction - all kinds of genres, really. I just read the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman which did take me a while to get into, but looking back on it now, I absolutely loved it and wish there would be more books in the same series left for me to read I also just finished 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' by Mark Haddon and that was also good other books I've really enjoyed recently... 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger, 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold, Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer (maybe not the best written books out there, but SO addictive! ), anything by Chuck Palahniuk...

I'm currently reading 'Interview With the Vampire'. I've seen the movie countless times, but never read the book until now. After that, I'm reading 'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd, my mum just read that book and loved it, now she won't leave me alone until I've read it, too
Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Time Traveler's Wife is one of my favorite books. I’m really leery about them making a film of it because the book had the perfect love story, existing through time and problems and then that only thing with the baby. I cried at the end of that book. Thankfully, they picked two strong leads so I have faith.

I have Golden Compass and have started it twice. You are the third person to tell me that it takes a little while to get into so I guess I’ll just have to persevere.

Anne Rice is good, wacky and crazy but good. Her worlds are always so richly crafted. The vampire books are my favorite. I love Louis. Poor little vampire. *hugs him*

Mandy
Old 10-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Time Traveler's Wife is one of my favorite books. I’m really leery about them making a film of it because the book had the perfect love story, existing through time and problems and then that only thing with the baby. I cried at the end of that book. Thankfully, they picked two strong leads so I have faith.
I actually hadn't even heard they were going to make it into a movie, I'm so out of the loop. Now I'm scared though. So, so scared. *goes to look up some information* ... (ETA: ok... hmm. I sort of like Rachel McAdams, not too sure about Eric Bana. Well, we'll just have to see how it goes... I wish they'd stop making movies out of my favourite books!)

Quote:
I have Golden Compass and have started it twice. You are the third person to tell me that it takes a little while to get into so I guess I’ll just have to persevere.
Yes, I almost quit after about 50 pages, but people told me to hang in there I'm so glad I did though!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedxlie (View Post)
I might do the 50 book challenge next year

I'd do it this year, because there's actually quite a chance that I'd make it, but I'm sure that if I'd try to make a list now of all the books I've read this year, I'd forget half and I'd end up putting stuff I read last year on there too I know I've read about 15 books over the last 3 months though... Hmm.
Crap, I keep forgetting to fill out my 15 books a year list.
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Old 10-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Total Fan

Oh you guys just reminded me I was trying to do the 50 book challenge. I know I read about 50 last year but this year I'm nowhere near. I think I've read about 30. The main thing is I've been so busy with wedding plans, but also that studying English Literature I have to re-read so much I don't always get times to read just for pleasure! I'm too busy trying to analyse characters and language
Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KervyQT16 (View Post)
It's good to be passionate. If you don't care your just part of the apathetic herd and that’s just terrible. It's everyones right to have an opinion.

You've still got time for the book challenge, like over two months. You've got time Steph. How many are you at now?

Mandy
I didn't do it this year- I tried to do it last year, and I sort of totally forgot about the challenge , so I ended up reading about four.

Quote:
I usually read fiction - all kinds of genres, really. I just read the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman which did take me a while to get into, but looking back on it now, I absolutely loved it and wish there would be more books in the same series left for me to read I also just finished 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' by Mark Haddon and that was also good other books I've really enjoyed recently... 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger, 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold,
I hated "His Dark Materials"- well, I actually don't know, how good the triology was, because I couldn't get halfway through the first one Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is one of my absolute favourites- it's so different, and it's interesting to see the world from a person who doesn't understand emotion. "The Time Traveler's Wife" is definitely on my "To-Read" list And... I didn't particularly enjoy "The Lovely Bones", but it was a well-written book. If you follow that logic- you can see that a book is technically well-written without enjoying it, right?

Another book I really loved was "Before I Die" by Jenny Downham, which is about a sixteen-year-old girl who is terminally ill, and is trying to do everything she can with what little life she has life. The first book I've ever cried at. I love "We Need To Talk About Kevin", by Lionel Shriver- it's very difficult to get into, because the writer is kind of a literary show-off, and has to say the most basic sentence in the most complex way possible. Also, it's written in letter form, which is pretty hard to get used to, too. But once you get into it, it's well worth it. I have a lot more, but...

It's strange somebody brought books up, because I'm planning to get some books soon, from my cousin who gets them on the cheap from uni. I was thinking about getting "Flowers For Algernon", "We All Fall Down", and "Catcher in the Rye". I'm thinking about getting a copy of Curious Incident, too, for keeps, instead of just borrowing it from the library over and over .
Old 10-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Total Fan

Catcher In The Rye is one of my all time favourites
Old 10-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Master Fan

I downloaded it in PDF form, but I just can't get into it in that format. Which is strange, because I adore fanfiction. Maybe knowing it's out there in real terms is the thing that's off-putting.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Total Fan

Well I admit I'm a bit of a horder, so have to have things in physical form

Anyone got any good ideas on how to get rid of a sore throat caused by wisdom teeth? I'm in agony
Old 10-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandelier2 (View Post)
Catcher In The Rye is one of my all time favourites
I must be really weird but I'm one of those people who really don't get what the big deal about that book is I thought it was really boring

Quote:
I hated "His Dark Materials"- well, I actually don't know, how good the triology was, because I couldn't get halfway through the first one
the first is my least favourite. I liked the second one a LOT, and loved the third one. The ending reminded me a lot about a certain something from Doctor Who

ETA:
Quote:
I downloaded it in PDF form, but I just can't get into it in that format. Which is strange, because I adore fanfiction. Maybe knowing it's out there in real terms is the thing that's off-putting.
I'm the same. If fanfic was out there in book format, I'm sure I'd hardly ever read any online! I love books so much, just flicking through the pages, the smell of them, everything

Quote:
Anyone got any good ideas on how to get rid of a sore throat caused by wisdom teeth? I'm in agony
I'm suffering from the EXACT same thing right now! somebody please come up with some tips to stop our suffering
Old 10-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedxlie (View Post)
I must be really weird but I'm one of those people who really don't get what the big deal about that book is I thought it was really boring
You're definitely not alone. I've heard lots of people say that Some books are just over-hyped. Different people, different tastes. Plus, some people just say a book is good to look smart.

Quote:
the first is my least favourite. I liked the second one a LOT, and loved the third one. The ending reminded me a lot about a certain something from Doctor Who :lol
:

I just don't actually get what it's about. I guess I'm just a complete idiot, . I mean, I think I was 11 when I first read it, so maybe if I get it out from the library now, I would understand it.

Quote:
ETA:
I'm the same. If fanfic was out there in book format, I'm sure I'd hardly ever read any online! I love books so much, just flicking through the pages, the smell of them, everything
I love the physical act of going through a book, and the sort of weird half satisfied-to-be-finished (depending on how good the book was, of course) and half disappointed-there's-no-more. I don't get that very much with fanfic, I think it's happened once or twice- I just don't get as emotionally involved as I do with "real" stories.

Quote:
I'm suffering from the EXACT same thing right now! somebody please come up with some tips to stop our suffering
My mum always made me drink something very cold- hurts your teeth like mad, but soothes your throat really well.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I just don't actually get what it's about. I guess I'm just a complete idiot, . I mean, I think I was 11 when I first read it, so maybe if I get it out from the library now, I would understand it.
basically, it's about one big adventure in parallel worlds. After seeing Doctor Who, I'm sure you'll get it

Quote:
I love the physical act of going through a book, and the sort of weird half satisfied-to-be-finished (depending on how good the book was, of course) and half disappointed-there's-no-more. I don't get that very much with fanfic, I think it's happened once or twice- I just don't get as emotionally involved as I do with "real" stories.
oh me too I also love being able to see how far exactly I'm in the story, and you get a sort of thrill when you get close to finishing it, like you said... With fics, you often don't really realize you're getting close to the end. Also, I hate it when I can't finish a fic in one sitting, while with books, I love to read little bits all throughout the day, and I usually take a book with me wherever I go. I LOVE reading on the train or subway for example. I also used to read a lot at school during classes, not sure if that was such a smart idea, looking back

Quote:
My mum always made me drink something very cold- hurts your teeth like mad, but soothes your throat really well.
thanks for the tip!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread