Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 07:20 AM
Loyal Fan

np, i love his books. post back and tell us what one/s you've decided to read, eh?

When the time came to leap in faith, whether you had your eyes open or closed or screaming all the way down or not made no practical difference.
rosey angel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:20 AM
Loyal Fan

np, i love his books. post back and tell us what one/s you've decided to read, eh?

When the time came to leap in faith, whether you had your eyes open or closed or screaming all the way down or not made no practical difference.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:43 AM
Passionate Fan

Ooh, I LOVE Ender's Game. It's one of my favorite books.

I saw an ad before a movie (you know, the kind that last 10 seconds and is shown before the trailers start) that mentioned the fact that they were planning on making Ender's Game a movie. But this was a couple years ago.

IMDB used to have a page about Ender's Game but they don't anymore. Not sure why...
Old 01-02-2004, 05:43 AM
Passionate Fan

Ooh, I LOVE Ender's Game. It's one of my favorite books.

I saw an ad before a movie (you know, the kind that last 10 seconds and is shown before the trailers start) that mentioned the fact that they were planning on making Ender's Game a movie. But this was a couple years ago.

IMDB used to have a page about Ender's Game but they don't anymore. Not sure why...
Old 01-02-2004, 10:23 PM
New Fan

Has anyone here read the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? I'm on the third one and am really enjoying them. I'm also in the middle of Ender's Game. It is sooooo good!

bookworm987
bookworm987 is offline   Reply With Quote
New Fan

Has anyone here read the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? I'm on the third one and am really enjoying them. I'm also in the middle of Ender's Game. It is sooooo good!

bookworm987
New Fan

bookworm987
New Fan

bookworm987
Old 01-04-2004, 02:53 AM
Loyal Fan

i'm about to start the alvin maker series. so it's good, eh? kool. seventh son is the first one, right? oh, abd watch out for enders game. i've read it through a few (ok, 3) times and the lingo really catches on. you should here me in a conversation with me frieds, i sound like a battle skool brat [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2004, 02:53 AM
Loyal Fan

i'm about to start the alvin maker series. so it's good, eh? kool. seventh son is the first one, right? oh, abd watch out for enders game. i've read it through a few (ok, 3) times and the lingo really catches on. you should here me in a conversation with me frieds, i sound like a battle skool brat [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2004, 02:11 PM
New Fan

i found card due to an ex-boyfriend who blew through every series (out at the time) and couldn.t stop reading them [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

i ended up reading enders game and going through that series. i just finished xenocide and really thought the middle just dragged...too much Path and Hive Queen dialogue.

though i haven.t read much sci-fi or fantasy to compare to him - i like his 'ethical' stylings (though i was surprised to find his mormon background really creeping into the storyline pretty strongly in xenocide and didn.t like it). his ethics say Tolkien and his science based stories say Rand to me -> all 3 authors have a wonderful blend of really smart characters who are affected deeply by their surroundings and their 'worlds'.

enders game reminds me of john christopher.s books:

a_ when the tripods came - prequel to the tripod trilogy
b_ the city of lead and gold - tripod trilogy
c_ the white mountains - tripod trilogy
d_ the pool of fire - tripod trilogy

- i read these books in 7th grade and really found enders game similar in the 'child-like infancy of morals and right/wrong development'.

my one concern with the ender series is that i think he had ender grow-up to fast. this boys life is something of complexity and depth and it could have been dealt with across 5-6+ books (IMO).

- Ayn Rand
cutemonkeygrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:11 PM
New Fan

i found card due to an ex-boyfriend who blew through every series (out at the time) and couldn.t stop reading them [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

i ended up reading enders game and going through that series. i just finished xenocide and really thought the middle just dragged...too much Path and Hive Queen dialogue.

though i haven.t read much sci-fi or fantasy to compare to him - i like his 'ethical' stylings (though i was surprised to find his mormon background really creeping into the storyline pretty strongly in xenocide and didn.t like it). his ethics say Tolkien and his science based stories say Rand to me -> all 3 authors have a wonderful blend of really smart characters who are affected deeply by their surroundings and their 'worlds'.

enders game reminds me of john christopher.s books:

a_ when the tripods came - prequel to the tripod trilogy
b_ the city of lead and gold - tripod trilogy
c_ the white mountains - tripod trilogy
d_ the pool of fire - tripod trilogy

- i read these books in 7th grade and really found enders game similar in the 'child-like infancy of morals and right/wrong development'.

my one concern with the ender series is that i think he had ender grow-up to fast. this boys life is something of complexity and depth and it could have been dealt with across 5-6+ books (IMO).

- Ayn Rand
cutemonkeygrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 03:19 AM
Loyal Fan

^ i agree. that's why i like the shadow series, but the kids do seem to grow up kinda quick. but i'll read anything to see more peter

Old 01-11-2004, 03:19 AM
Loyal Fan

^ i agree. that's why i like the shadow series, but the kids do seem to grow up kinda quick. but i'll read anything to see more peter

Old 01-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Passionate Fan

I've just finished reading the Alvin Maker series (again) with the new one that came out... Crystal City. I really love the Alvin Maker series, but Crystal City... not so much. The book is pretty good, but it seems mostly like a filler book to me. It seems to have the least amount of significance to Alvin's journey. I think OSC will probably end the series with a 7th book, since 7 is such a magical number in the series. I hope the resolution is a good one.

ETA: I enjoyed reading First Meetings, even though that book is more targeted toward a younger teen audience (with illustrations and such). I had read Investment Counselor before in a short story book. Reading it again just makes me love Jane even more. And I really enjoyed reading the stories about Ender's father.

[ 01-11-2004: Message edited Andia ]
Andia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread