Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 05:31 AM
Master Fan

Carnivale (HBO) Appreciation #1: Season 2 starts Jan 9th

I thought there was a thread for this but I guess not.

Season 2 starts January 9th and the Website has been updated. You can see the Preview and Behind the Scene's footage of Season 2.

I can't wait.

Also Season 1 is on DvD this Tuesday. December 7th.

From the season 2 preview:

To learn more about the show click here

Last edited by justsmile; 12-04-2004 at 12:01 AM
Old 12-02-2004, 05:39 AM
Banned

Hi Meg. tvtome didn't tell much about this show... So I was wondering if you could give me a description of it. I know it has something to do with good vs. evil or something... Would you consider it more fantasy?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:39 AM
Banned

Hi Meg. tvtome didn't tell much about this show... So I was wondering if you could give me a description of it. I know it has something to do with good vs. evil or something... Would you consider it more fantasy?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Master Fan

Hi Subject!

Well, I don't know. The show goes more into the faith aspect with healing, mind control and magic type things that aren't necessarily fantasy. But I guess you can call it both.

The show is about 2 creature/people born to each generation. A creature of pure light (good) and a creature of pure dark (evil) that will meet in an great battle against each other. Carnivale is set in 1934 during the great depression and the dust bowl in the USA. There is two stories going on Ben's at the Carnivale and Brother Justin's in California.

Our two major players are Ben Hawkins (Nick Stahl) and Brother Justin Crowe (Clancy Brown)... We're lead to believe in season one that Ben is the creature of good. He can heal with his hand... and apparently so can his father Henry Scutter who is also likely a creature of light but they've never officially met. Brother Justin on the other hand... we'll he's a priest who's not afraid to kill with his mind or get people to kill themselfs or follow him blindly...so he's likely the creature of dark. I'm not going to say it's 100% this way or the other since this show is always shocking the viewers.

Then there is Sophie who might be another creature [of dark]... And the creepy, naked, tattooed dude. And then Management...

Okay it's so hard to explain this show. It's so complex and layered that you can't really grasp or write it into something small and round. Also this show really makes you think and try to figure things out. A giant puzzle. The first 12 episodes are so complex and detailed...

Here is what HBO says:
Quote:
1934. The Dust Bowl. The last great age of magic. In a time of titanic sandstorms, drought and pestilence - all signs of God's fury and harbingers of the Apocalypse - the final conflict between good and evil is about to begin. The battle will take place in the Heartland of an empire called America. And when it is over, man will forever trade away wonder for reason.

Debuting on HBO this September, CARNIVÀLE follows a traveling carnival as it wends its way across the Dust Bowl, focusing on a mysterious young fugitive with hidden talents who is taken in by the carnival, and on the charismatic, shadowy evangelist who will ultimately cross his path. The 12-episode dramatic series takes place at a time of worldwide unrest, with evil on the rise around the globe and the Great Depression wreaking economic and social havoc here at home.

As they become aware of their abilities, Ben and Brother Justin find themselves wrenched from their lives to realize that the world they thought the knew -- this tenuous, prosaic reality shared by humankind -- is actually a chessboard upon which is played the ancient conflict between Light and Darkness, and they are key players in the battle.
You can Find more info at the Official site. And detailed episode summaries Here. Screen Caps Here.

I definately recommend this show. It's one if not my absolute favorite show. 100% addictive... and fans have waited almost 2 years for season 2. HBO is reairing all of season 1 leading up to the premier so you might be able to catch it if you have HBO. And the season 1 dvd is coming out this tuesday.

If you have any more questions just ask. I'll do my absolute best to answer them.

Last edited by justsmile; 12-02-2004 at 06:16 AM
Old 12-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Master Fan

Hi Subject!

Well, I don't know. The show goes more into the faith aspect with healing, mind control and magic type things that aren't necessarily fantasy. But I guess you can call it both.

The show is about 2 creature/people born to each generation. A creature of pure light (good) and a creature of pure dark (evil) that will meet in an great battle against each other. Carnivale is set in 1934 during the great depression and the dust bowl in the USA. There is two stories going on Ben's at the Carnivale and Brother Justin's in California.

Our two major players are Ben Hawkins (Nick Stahl) and Brother Justin Crowe (Clancy Brown)... We're lead to believe in season one that Ben is the creature of good. He can heal with his hand... and apparently so can his father Henry Scutter who is also likely a creature of light but they've never officially met. Brother Justin on the other hand... we'll he's a priest who's not afraid to kill with his mind or get people to kill themselfs or follow him blindly...so he's likely the creature of dark. I'm not going to say it's 100% this way or the other since this show is always shocking the viewers.

Then there is Sophie who might be another creature [of dark]... And the creepy, naked, tattooed dude. And then Management...

Okay it's so hard to explain this show. It's so complex and layered that you can't really grasp or write it into something small and round. Also this show really makes you think and try to figure things out. A giant puzzle. The first 12 episodes are so complex and detailed...

Here is what HBO says:
Quote:
1934. The Dust Bowl. The last great age of magic. In a time of titanic sandstorms, drought and pestilence - all signs of God's fury and harbingers of the Apocalypse - the final conflict between good and evil is about to begin. The battle will take place in the Heartland of an empire called America. And when it is over, man will forever trade away wonder for reason.

Debuting on HBO this September, CARNIVÀLE follows a traveling carnival as it wends its way across the Dust Bowl, focusing on a mysterious young fugitive with hidden talents who is taken in by the carnival, and on the charismatic, shadowy evangelist who will ultimately cross his path. The 12-episode dramatic series takes place at a time of worldwide unrest, with evil on the rise around the globe and the Great Depression wreaking economic and social havoc here at home.

As they become aware of their abilities, Ben and Brother Justin find themselves wrenched from their lives to realize that the world they thought the knew -- this tenuous, prosaic reality shared by humankind -- is actually a chessboard upon which is played the ancient conflict between Light and Darkness, and they are key players in the battle.
You can Find more info at the Official site. And detailed episode summaries Here. Screen Caps Here.

I definately recommend this show. It's one if not my absolute favorite show. 100% addictive... and fans have waited almost 2 years for season 2. HBO is reairing all of season 1 leading up to the premier so you might be able to catch it if you have HBO. And the season 1 dvd is coming out this tuesday.

If you have any more questions just ask. I'll do my absolute best to answer them.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:52 AM
Banned

Thanks Meg. I have wanted to watch the show (previews) but I don't have HBO. Maybe I'll end up buying the dvd for Christmas.

Since the shows deals with magic/powers and battles between such. I think that it's more of a Sci-Fi/Fantasy show. So I'm going to go ahead and move it over to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy board.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Master Fan

I hope all the fans of the show hope to look here, we had a thread on the HBO board last year and then it was moved to the TV board. And to be fair I'm not sure we even had a Sci-Fi Fantasy board at that time?

Sounds like a good place for it though.

OH I can't WAIT for Season 2!! And I think I know who management is, but of course it is just a guess.

I loved how Ben tried killing himself and his father finally popping in to let him know it doesn't work that way.

I'm going to check out the HBO site and read more about Season 2. I just wanted you to know I'm a crazy fan of this show and I'm glad to see this thread!!

Cyn............
Old 12-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Master Fan

I hope all the fans of the show hope to look here, we had a thread on the HBO board last year and then it was moved to the TV board. And to be fair I'm not sure we even had a Sci-Fi Fantasy board at that time?

Sounds like a good place for it though.

OH I can't WAIT for Season 2!! And I think I know who management is, but of course it is just a guess.

I loved how Ben tried killing himself and his father finally popping in to let him know it doesn't work that way.

I'm going to check out the HBO site and read more about Season 2. I just wanted you to know I'm a crazy fan of this show and I'm glad to see this thread!!

Cyn............
Old 12-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm really glad I found this thread. And this board.

I can't wait for this show to start either. As much as I liked I found it a little confusing towards the end. I cannot wait to see how the rest of the storyline develops.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm really glad I found this thread. And this board.

I can't wait for this show to start either. As much as I liked I found it a little confusing towards the end. I cannot wait to see how the rest of the storyline develops.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Master Fan

Thanks Subject.

Hi Cyn and I can't wait for this either. The trailor is driving me crazy. Like HBO is teasing us more. Not like it hasn't been almost 2 years Plus we'll find out who if anyone really did die in the final... and if we'll se Henry Scutter or Management.

Oh can't wait.

Hi gambit221 And yeah it did get confusing, but I think it's all leading to somewhere big.

Hopefully the other fans will find this thread... it's a shame there isn't an HBO board still. We could always try to get a Carnivale Board... but I don't know if we'll get it. But if Sex in the City can get one maybe we can too.

Last edited by justsmile; 12-02-2004 at 06:51 PM
Old 12-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Loyal Fan

I knew it! I wasn't sure who died in the finale, the girls or the blind guy?

What is the deal with the reverend and his evil powers. I liked his story as a child, but I was so confused. And it has been 2 years!

If we can't a Carnival thread, which should exist, there should definitely be a HBO thread. They had too many good shows. This and The Wire are my two favorites as of the moment.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:10 AM
Master Fan

Yeah I really miss the HBO board (I was the Mod of that board) but it was only like 8 of us posting on it and the problem with HBO shows is that they take their time between seasons so not alot to talk about after the season is over.

Who I think management is..... (not that anyone asked)

See we all know that Skinner is Ben's father and he passed on something special to his son Ben (powers and whatever we haven't found out yet) and that one of the dreams Ben and Justin shared had them sitting in a dinner with Skinner and The solider.

So this is what I think, the Solider is Justin's father and during the war he lost his legs when Skinners bear attacked him (the solider is evil like Justin really is) So the solider is now management and he still has evil powers and since he has no legs he hangs out in the tiny room. That is why Skinner was with the carnivale and left (he also could have been the person who brought the solider/management to the carnivale as well). It also becomes clear why management is so interested in Ben.

Okay I've been holding that in and that is what I think.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Passionate Fan

Thanks for starting this thread, justsmile! I can't wait for the new season to air.

Those are interesting thoughts, ColinsChica. I don't think that Management is the soldier (who I shall call Private Funboy, because TWoP does ), though, because Scudder left the traveling carnival before Management came to them. But I guess it's possible that Private Funboy decided to come around when Scudder left.

I wonder what Sofie's role is in all this? She definitely seems to have an expanded role this coming season. She seems to be the daughter of the Tatooed Man, who Management refers to as "The Usher of Destruction". Hmm... We don't really have a clear picture what her "power" is as a creature (of dark?), but I think it's pretty obvious that she does have an important role to play.

Oh, btw, I'm going to go with the assumption that Apollonia and Lodz died from last season. But they're still in the trailer for the second season for brief flashes. I wonder what's going on with that?

I also have a question/complaint about the DVDs coming out next Tuesday (other than its price-iness)... I remember Amazon listing that the DVD set would include the panel from the Museum of TV and Radio and also the original pilot (which I heard was pretty different than the one that aired). What happened to those, I wonder? Oh well, we can't have everything, I suppose.

Anyway, here's a desktop wallpaper that I made yesterday that I thought you might enjoy:

800x600
1024x768

Oh, and in case anyone wanted to save the quicktime movie to their hard drive, here are the urls to the original .mov files for the trailer and behind the scenes:

Season 2 Trailer

Behind the Scenes

Last edited by Andia; 12-04-2004 at 12:10 AM
Old 12-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Passionate Fan

Thanks for starting this thread, justsmile! I can't wait for the new season to air.

Those are interesting thoughts, ColinsChica. I don't think that Management is the soldier (who I shall call Private Funboy, because TWoP does ), though, because Scudder left the traveling carnival before Management came to them. But I guess it's possible that Private Funboy decided to come around when Scudder left.

I wonder what Sofie's role is in all this? She definitely seems to have an expanded role this coming season. She seems to be the daughter of the Tatooed Man, who Management refers to as "The Usher of Destruction". Hmm... We don't really have a clear picture what her "power" is as a creature (of dark?), but I think it's pretty obvious that she does have an important role to play.

Oh, btw, I'm going to go with the assumption that Apollonia and Lodz died from last season. But they're still in the trailer for the second season for brief flashes. I wonder what's going on with that?

I also have a question/complaint about the DVDs coming out next Tuesday (other than its price-iness)... I remember Amazon listing that the DVD set would include the panel from the Museum of TV and Radio and also the original pilot (which I heard was pretty different than the one that aired). What happened to those, I wonder? Oh well, we can't have everything, I suppose.

Anyway, here's a desktop wallpaper that I made yesterday that I thought you might enjoy:

800x600
1024x768

Oh, and in case anyone wanted to save the quicktime movie to their hard drive, here are the urls to the original .mov files for the trailer and behind the scenes:

Season 2 Trailer

Behind the Scenes
Closed Thread   Post New Thread