Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2018, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
I always wanted that Faith spinoff, they could still do that instead lol. Could see Faith and what has happened 15 years after the series finale.
I also would have loved a Faith spinoff. It would have been so cool.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Elite Fan

Down with it!

I am sure it will be good. Going to watch it with an open mind and heart.
*Lethe's Bramble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell 10/2/00 (View Post)
Take about dislike for reboots Roswell was rebooted they are calling it Roswell New Mexico the trailer came out and it is a disaster! The Roswell fans all sit there on our board and are like what did they do to our beloved show!

Roswell was classic for a reason!

Buffy I feel it is a stand alone it is classic and nothing will be as good! It was one of a kind!

I feel like no show is safe for a reboot no a days! If it can be rebooted they will do it Nothing is sacred anymore!

Where has all of the creativity gone!
Agreed about the current lack of creativity.

But I still think Star Trek is a good examle for how one can re-invent (different Generations) of the same story.

For instance, the new Buffy could be named in honor of the previous Slayer, who has clocked out and now lives happily somewhere else.

New Buffy might live on the East Coast with completely different friends. The only similarity would be her 1st name.

Of, well. I guess we have to wait and see.

For now, I trust in Joss Whedon's judgement. We all know he hasn't always been right, but let's wait and see.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.

Last edited by Little_Stewie; 07-26-2018 at 04:09 PM Reason: clumsiness
Little_Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Elite Fan

NEWS!

Apparently, one of the heads of the show has come forward and said it will be a sequel, not a reboot.

That at least puts a lot of my concerns to rest.

Quote:
Monica Owusu-Breen Confirms New Buffy Series Will Be a Sequel, Not a Reboot

When news of what was being called a Buffy “reboot” with a black lead first dropped, I was very adamant that it was something I did not want—not because I found the idea inherently bad, but because rebooting Buffy for the sake of inclusion would only lead to a backlash from fans of the original and hinder the actress and showrunner from being able to have true ownership of the series.

Well, in a definite improvement, the upcoming Buffy series showrunner, Monica Owusu-Breen put out a statement on Twitter saying that the show will be more of a sequel, with a new character as a new Slayer.

In the tweet, Owusu-Breen says, “There is only one Buffy,” and that she wouldn’t true to “replace” the original cast or series, and “it could be time to meet a new Slayer.” As many have said, the finale of the original show definitely made it fully possible to have a sequel series since “every girl who could have the power, will have the power.” There’s room for more combative Slayer vs. Slayer storylines—some with redemption and some without.

This news does make me breathe a sigh of relief that I don’t have to see any stories about a black actress being driven off the internet in some way because she isn’t ‘right’ to play Buffy Summers. Still, do I still wish this were a non-Joss Whedon-universe vampire story? Absolutely.

I think that Owusu-Breen will do a great job, and I’m glad she’s going to be behind this show. I just wish that there were more of a drive to get works written by black sci-fi/fantasy authors on the screen. There are so many talented authors out there whose work should be adapted that, while I’m excited to see a black character do well on a Buffy sequel, it would be nice to see that diverse series don’t need to be a spinoffs from already existing white-led shows to be viable.

What do you guys think? Does this news about it being a sequel rather than a reboot ease some of your fears, or do you just have new ones?

(via The Verge, image: 20th Century Fox)
It's taken me all this time to find out what I need
Charmed Slayer Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

That sounds a little more interesting.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

This is them trying to cover themselves after using the name at first & planning to reboot the char. as Buffy but the backlash changed it.

They wanted to get people upset at first to get attention.

It worked.

If they didn't really plan for her to be Buffy then they wouldn't in the orig. said the char. name was going to be.

It's either they dropped this with as vague as poss. info at first to get reactions plus that the char. would be named Buffy or they reacting to the backlash changing things.

I think it could honestly a little of both.

There isn't even a script yet according to the orig. info.

I feel like they wanted to get attention any way they could.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Elite Fan

I disagree. Monica grew up with Buffy herself. She is a fan, like us. She will treat the show with the respect it deserves.

Sad to see so many negative comments from so called fans. Wait for the results before dissing it.
*Lethe's Bramble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Master Fan

Entirely 100% good news, imo. Just like I predicted.

My guess remains that the lead character will be named after SMG's character.

And.....

From now on I am biting my nails about whether we will see any guest stars from the original series.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Master Fan

Dp
Old 07-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lethe's Bramble* (View Post)
I disagree. Monica grew up with Buffy herself. She is a fan, like us. She will treat the show with the respect it deserves.

Sad to see so many negative comments from so called fans. Wait for the results before dissing it.
They still just dropped it with as vague as info poss. to get reactions.

They knew they would get more reaction by saying it was gonna be called Buffy & she was gonna be African American.

They wanted people talking about the project but now are swooping in saying it's not a reboot of the franchise.

I don't care if they were a fan at first this is what they let happen for reactions.

This person still let the backlash happen for days before saying anything to the point that Buffy trended on Twitter.

Why wait to tell us?

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Last edited by Jaime Bee; 07-28-2018 at 12:06 PM
Old 07-28-2018, 03:05 PM
Master Fan

Tbh, I think that's how marketing works.

At least they think so.....and now we're talking about it. So, mission accomlished.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Stewie (View Post)
Tbh, I think that's how marketing works.

At least they think so.....and now we're talking about it. So, mission accomlished.
It was a mean way to do it to fans honestly though.

If they really cared they wouldn't have waited to swoop in for days.

I get what they were doing now.

I just don't get how others don't.

They wanted fans reactions & they got it for sure!

They didn't have to wait days like that.

It just shows getting reactions was most important to them about the project that was happening.

They got everybody upset & waited days to clear it up.

It's not like starting out saying this is gonna be a continuation of the Buffyverse wouldn't have gotten attention without getting fans really upset.

I honestly don't even want Buffy touched at all after all this time.

Next Generation thing could have worked from the start without this confusion they caused on purpose since majority are open it though.

Last edited by Jaime Bee; 07-28-2018 at 04:25 PM
Old 07-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Master Fan

To be honest, I don't think their campaign was aimed at *us*, i.e. the fans.... They knew we'd pay close attention, even if they come clean. Their actions, that you (and many other fans, no doubt) so rightfully don't like was most likely aimed at the 'normal', easily distracted TV community that has a frustratingly short attention span. What easier way to get them to pay attention than saying: "Listen, people....this is a 'Buffy' reboot!!!".

I remain optimistic for now. I miss the Buffyverse, and can't wait to get more of it.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think their campaign was aimed at *us*, i.e. the fans.... They knew we'd pay close attention, even if they come clean. Their actions, that you (and many other fans, no doubt) so rightfully don't like was most likely aimed at the 'normal', easily distracted TV community that has a frustratingly short attention span. What easier way to get them to pay attention than saying: "Listen, people....this is a 'Buffy' reboot!!!".

I remain optimistic for now. I miss the Buffyverse, and can't wait to get more of it.
I think it was aimed at anyone who would listen honestly.

I hate the comics now!

I'm pretty sure if this is after both shows this will mean the Comics aren't paid attention to anymore.

Canon most likely will end with Angel the Series b/c it was on screen last part of the Buffyverse we ever had.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:38 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:

Entirely 100% good news, imo. Just like I predicted.

My guess remains that the lead character will be named after SMG's character.

And.....

From now on I am biting my nails about whether we will see any guest stars from the original series.

Since Joss is involved, I know Alyson and Amber both said they would be ok with returning for anything if he was involved.

Give me some ghost Tara or some stuff please
It's taken me all this time to find out what I need
Charmed Slayer Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread