Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amethyst* (View Post)
Good points, but I don't have issues with Willow and Kennedy.
Whether or not any of us have issues with the ship wasn't the point of that paragraph. It was to explain why it was poor writing on the part of the writers of the show, as they were trying to fit way too many things into the season as a whole. There was nothing wrong with Willow moving on with her life, but it was like many other things in the season; rushed in order to fit it in before the finale.
It's taken me all this time to find out what I need
Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Elite Fan

^ Very good points. I liked the BW scenes we got early in s7 but they were few and far between. I think s7 had too much going on and didn't make room for the important relationships that had been in place since the beginning. The Potentials were a good idea but also took too much time. I would've loved to see s7 focus more on the core scoobie group than anything else being the last season and all.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I agree with your issues with s7, & I don't think I'll ever forgive the writers for that.....I think all the actors contracts end after 7 seasons, so Joss should have known it was a possibility that some of the cast would want out & he might be forced to end it - I'd like to think that SMG gave him a head's up though

Either way, the priorities in s7 were completed skewed. It was the last season & there was nothing I want more than the see the show go back to the scoobies, they were the heart of the show & always had been
Old 04-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ Completely agree with you, and I'm with you for not forgiving the many poor mistakes of season 7. It was painful watching that live.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

It was & it was such a shame that it had to be the last season too

welcome to the hellmouth

Just your usual girl talk
Old 04-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Elite Fan

Oh Willow
Old 04-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Slayer Angel (View Post)
(This is gonna be long, so head's up. Wrote you guys a damn book)

Everything I've ever seen has pointed to Season 7 being a damn mess on every front. And for good reasoning. SMG didn't announce she was leaving to really anyone until the announcement came out in a magazine article she did (Alyson mentioned that was how she found out a few years ago I believe), so that leads me to believe that Joss probably had plans for a Season 8 and maybe even a Season 9 at the time, and SMG's announcement forced him to try and condense them. This would explain why there seems to be so much stuff going on in S7 compared to other seasons. I'm not sure why Joss and the writers chose to devote so much time to the Potentials, given that none of us really wanted to see so much time devoted to them when it could have been devoted to the Core Four, which is what should have been done. If it was the last season, then Buffy/Willow/Xander/Giles should have received the majority of the attention within the season.
The decision to end the series was actually Joss' as well as Sarah's. Alyson's comment about finding out through the magazine interview was very odd. You'd think Joss and the writers would have let her (and the rest of the cast) know that. The fact that they didn't was definitely a huge mess-up on their part. Aly and other cast members who didn't know could have turned down roles thinking they had another season of BtVS ahead of them. But Joss and the writers did know that S7 was going to be the final one. SMG was the one to announce it, but the decision had been made by JW as well as her.

Quote:
Although I have issues with Willow/Kennedy, I can understand why they wanted to show Willow moving on with her life, even despite the tragedy that had set off her time as Dark!Willow in the final three episodes of Season 6. However, the way they do it comes across as merely the writers getting the subject out of the way. Besides the mention of the First trying to use Tara to get Willow to kill herself in "Conversations With Dead People", there's no mention of Tara ever again in the show. Instead, the time is devoted to more time with Buffy and Spike fixing their relationship, along with the Potentials beginning to come into their own.
Tara was mentioned heavily in "The Killer in Me". A lot of that episode was about Willow putting her grief for Tara behind her. Whether or not the writers did that well is definitely up to question, but Tara was mentioned.

The rest of your points are very good and you pretty much summed up what went wrong with S7.

One of the things I always loved about BtVS was how well-planned it was. The series was really great with foreshadowing and planning things ahead. But S7 was just so sloppily-done. There were so many plot holes, and it really felt like the writers were just tired. It's a shame BtVS had to go out with a whimper instead of the bang it deserved.

"Strong is fighting. It's hard, and it's painful. And it's every day. It's what we have to do."
Old 04-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Elite Fan

Ah, thanks for the corrections. I was going off my memory, since I didn't remember where I'd read those interviews before

I thought I'd included "Killer In Me" within those episodes mentioning Tara, but maybe I was just thinking we all knew what the episode was about, hence why I didn't mention it
Old 04-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Slayer Angel (View Post)
Ah, thanks for the corrections. I was going off my memory, since I didn't remember where I'd read those interviews before
Yeah, I think the article that SMG did when she announced the show ending was called "Buffy Quits", too. That, combined with Aly revealing she had no idea the show was ending, may have been the factor in the common misconception that SMG had decided to end the show right then and there, when really she was just announcing it.

I thought I'd included "Killer In Me" within those episodes mentioning Tara, but maybe I was just thinking we all knew what the episode was about, hence why I didn't mention it [/QUOTE]

I recall Anya also mentioning her in "Showtime", naming her, Tara, Willow and Xander as the ones who brought Buffy back during that sloppy "Buffy's resurrection is the reason The First manifested" explanation. But I don't blame you for forgetting "Killer in Me". It such a lame episode, I wish I could forget it myself.

Nicholas Brendon recently said in an interview that even he thought S7 spent too much time with the Potential Slayers, so it's comforting to know that even someone who was on the show weren't fully satisfied with the season.

"Strong is fighting. It's hard, and it's painful. And it's every day. It's what we have to do."
Old 04-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Elite Fan

"Killer In Me", as a Willow/Tara fan, is just way too painful for me I don't think I could watch that episode again

I don't think one notices it the first time they watch the show, but when you look back on it in hindsight, it really becomes noticeable
Old 04-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I think that Joss took a step back from the show in s6 & they had new writers so that he could work on the Angel series too, I'm not sure when Firefly started, but I wonder if he was involved in s7 as he wanted to be....I'm pretty sure that he was, but I just can't quite get my head around how he could get the final season so wrong
Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Elite Fan

That's a possibility Maybe he was so concerned over the other shows that he kinda let stuff slide in Season 7
Old 04-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I definitely saw it happen on other shows that I watched where the creator pretty much left, but got involved in decisions every now & again. I don't know how involved he was in s7 compared to the previous seasons, but I think that one of the criticisms people have of him now is that he kinda has a short attention span & his projects suffer because he has too many of them....

Anyway

dont blame the movies
Old 04-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Elite Fan

^ Aww, cute gif-set!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 PM
Passionate Fan

Hi, can I be added please?