Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Buffy Season Eight Discussion Thread #9

New thread
Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

From the last thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comic fan (View Post)
Angel:Barbary Coast #2 preview pages.It's out tomorrow.

Comics Continuum: IDW Publishing First Looks

FIRST LOOK: ANGEL: BARBARY COAST #2

Angel: Barbary Coast #2 will arrive in stores on May 5 from IDW Publishing. The issue is written by David Tischman, with art by Franco Urru and covers by Urru and Dan Panosian.

Here's how IDW describes the issue:

"The New World is turning out to be more than Angel bargained for as he's confronted with a monstrous, mythical beast, and continues to try and find a 'cure' for his painful new soul. But when the earth begins to shake, Angel finds himself facing the cause of one histories great 'natural' disasters."

Angel: Barbary Coast #2 will be 32 pages and will cost $3.99.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Part 1 of a 2 part Buffyfest interview with Brad Meltzer.

Buffyfest: Our Exclusive Interview with 'Buffy S.8' Writer Brad Meltzer Himself - part 1 of 2 (Spoilers)

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Our Exclusive Interview with 'Buffy S.8' Writer Brad Meltzer Himself - part 1 of 2 (Spoilers)

To say the events that have spanned Brad Meltzer's 4-issue "Twilight" arc were cataclysmic for both the story and the fans would be an understatement and the story's not over yet, folks. We still have 5 issues of a Joss penned arc to go! As Twilight comes to a close, we had the honor to talk with Mr. Meltzer who was nice enough to answer some questions for us in a two part interview that starts today. In part one, check out his take on the characters and the events thus far. Tomorrow we tackle Issue #35, which, needless to say, is another banger! Stay tuned.

Buffyfest: What makes writing for Buffy different from other projects you've written?

Brad Meltzer: It'd be easy to say the sense of humor. But that's just not true. It's really the sense of "self." These characters know who they are and where they are and what they do. And we as readers/viewers do too.

Buffyfest: Can you talk about any of the ideas you had for your arc that didn't make it to the page?

Brad Meltzer: Nope. What if it's still coming?

Buffyfest: True. Your arc of Buffy Season 8 deals very heavily with the idea of power and how it corrupts. Was that something you'd set out to do thematically with this story? Did you draw from any real world scenarios, politically or socially when you wrote these issues?

Brad Meltzer: Every single one of my novels somehow gets around to this issue, so I can't say I'm fully surprised. It's just how I view the real world. George Washington said, "Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder." Guy knew what he was talking about.

Buffyfest: How do you feel about the choices Buffy and Angel are making and what do you think has informed those choices, not just in the last few issues, but with this season as a whole? What would you say Buffy was thinking at the end of issue #33 when Angel asks her if she wants to be happy?

Brad Meltzer: I think the final choices are as true to the characters as can be. What came before that final choice is of course the subject of debate, but I do think these characters know EXACTLY what each other wants. And what they want themselves.

Again, this is just a small teaser so look out for Part Two of our interview tomorrow, where we really get in the thick of issue #35 and the conclusion of Meltzer's now legendary arc in Buffy Season 8.

And don't forget to follow Mr. Meltzer on Twitter. He'll be doing a Buffy Twitterthon, taking fan questions for a whole 24 hours starting on Wednesday at noon.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Addicted Fan

Cutting it close but here are the preview pages for tomorrow's Buffy Season 8 #35."Twilight Part IV of IV.

Preview :: Dark Horse Comics

Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks comic fan. I can't wait to pick up my copy tomorrow
Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Addicted Fan

The second part of Brad Meltzer's interview with Buffyfest.Heavy spoilers for Buffy #35 and some new panels from the issue.

Buffyfest: Part Two of Our Interview with Brad Meltzer: The Gang's All Here! (Spoilers)

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Part Two of Our Interview with Brad Meltzer: The Gang's All Here! (Spoilers)

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ISSUE 35 BELOW. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER "TWILIGHTGATE" ON OUR HANDS, PEOPLE.

With the final issue of the "Twilight" arc hitting a comic shop near you today, we conclude our interview with Brad Meltzer on all things Issue 35, general Buffy, and oh, some 80's fashion talk, too!

Buffyfest: What is your favorite TV season of Buffy and if you had to pick one moment from the show that defines Buffy as a character which would it be?

Brad Meltzer: I always felt there was gold in every season, but if I were looking for one moment for just Buffy, it probably would be one of the many moments of silence after she came back from the dead. Those moments were moments I always admired -- just the way she shouldered so much burden by herself. Those were the moments where I always knew, wow, as much as I want to "be" Buffy, Buffy isn't me. She's better than me. And I'm happy that we get to that thought in issue 35.

Buffyfest: What about Angel? Is there a moment in the TV show that you think defined him as a character?

Brad Meltzer: Early on. Perhaps in that first moment when he explains why they can't "do it." That trap was set so neatly. We knew exactly what his limits were -- and what his desires were -- and that, somehow, he'd/they find some way around it.

Buffyfest: Who do you find to be the most interesting character in the Buffyverse to write? Out of your entire Twilight Arc which scene did you find the most interesting?

Brad Meltzer: Buffy is certainly the most interesting and surprisingly complex to write. Xander came a bit easier than I expected. Willow's wonderful because she adds an edge that makes her sometimes more satisfying in a scene than Xander. But as for the "interesting" scene, I'd say it's a tie between issue 34 and 35. Those were my favorites. That moment of Buffy's decision in issue 35 is just who that character is to me.

Buffyfest: Angel always seems to be able to make an executive decision to change the world easier than Buffy, do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing?

Brad Meltzer: Depends which way he chooses.

Buffyfest: Does it make Angel more of a villain or a screw-up?

Brad Meltzer: Depends which way he chooses.

Buffyfest: Gotcha. On the other hand, Angel has always been willing to turn his back on Buffy for the greater good, but he now doing the polar opposite. Why is that?

Brad Meltzer: There's only one -- and I mean one -- reason these characters keep connecting on such a deep personal level: they love each other. Can they love others? Sure. But they also love each other.

Buffyfest: How deep under the control of Twilight is Angel and how long has this been going on? Is it so difficult for him to snap out of the thrall of Twilight because he's been under the influence much longer than Buffy or another reason?

Brad Meltzer: Fair question. We'll see.

Buffyfest: Are Buffy and Angel in the Bronze at one point during their discussion?

Brad Meltzer: Of course that's the Bronze!

Buffyfest: Was the plan always to bring Spike in at the end of this story arc?

Brad Meltzer: Yup.

Buffyfest: Is there a reason the demons single out "the mages" in the middle of the fight?

Brad Meltzer: Other than knowing mages are powerful and must be dealt with? Good question.

Buffyfest: What is up with the 80's Miami Vice-esque outfits that Buffy and Angel are wearing shortly before they leave Twilight?

Brad Meltzer: Ask Georges. Although I did wear a white **** (with shoulderpads) and a skinny purple tie to my junior prom. It was in Miami in 1985, cut me some slack.

Buffyfest: Warren seems very concerned about Andrew being hurt, is he having a change of heart?

Brad Meltzer: These characters were friends. It was important to me that we don't lose sight of that. Now let's see where it goes.

Buffyfest: Where did you get the idea for the tank that Spike arrives in? Why does it seem that Willow is very excited to see Spike and the tank?

Brad Meltzer: Georges and Joss were totally responsible for the tank. You'll see it play a nice upcoming role.

Buffyfest: Does anyone other than Angel even know that Spike is alive up until this point? Also, how long has it been since Angel and Spike have seen each other?

Brad Meltzer: Not my story to tell.

Buffyfest: Speaking of timelines, how long has it been since the events of Angel's Season 5 finale "Not Fade Away" and now? Has Buffy not had any contact with him since she last saw him in "Chosen"? How long has it been, exactly?

Brad Meltzer: Not my story to tell.

Buffyfest: Guess we'll find out! After all that's happened in the Twilight arc, do you think that Angel is redeemable?

Brad Meltzer: After issue 35, yes.

Buffyfest: On that note, is Angel still a cursed vampire

Brad Meltzer: What else could Angel be?

Buffyfest: Can you give us a hint at what's to come in Joss's arc? Maybe one word?

Brad Meltzer: Goodness.

Buffyfest: And finally, are there any upcoming projects that you'd like your fans to know about?

Brad Meltzer: Since the day my son was born eight years ago, I've been writing a book for him. It's a collection of heroes throughout history. Some are famous (Jim Henson, Rosa Parks, Mr. Rogers). Some are totally unknown. But the result is this book -- my first ever non-fiction one -- a gift to my son. It's called Heroes For My Son. Comes out next week (May 11). And I'm on book tour in NY, DC, VA, Miami, Boca Raton, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver and Michigan, so if you live there, please come say hi (and yes, of course, I'd be honored to sign whatever you like, especially Buffy 34). Full details are at Brad Meltzer - Brad Meltzer - Bestselling Thriller Writer, Mystery Writer, Suspense Legal Freemason Novels and Lots of Other Stuff.

If you want more information on Brad Meltzer's upcoming book, Heroes for My Son, go here.

Oh, and don't forget to ask Brad a question during his Buffy Twitterthon.

Brad Meltzer (bradmeltzer) on Twitter

Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds interesting
Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Addicted Fan

Reviews of the issue.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 #35 Review - Comic Vine

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 #35 Review

Added by G-Man on May 5, 2010

We're still recovering from the revelation of Twilight and seeing the after effects of Buffy and Angel's hook up. The rest of the world is being torn apart. Is this the end of everything? There have been some crazy things happening in the Buffy comic lately and if you've ever watched the show, you really should be checking the comic out.

The Good:

Brad Meltzer continues to capture the characters as if they jump out of the television and into the comic. For anyone that has enjoyed the Buffy series, pretty much all the characters you'd want to see are here.

Throughout the story we also get tiny nods or Easter Eggs as usual. You'll have a hard time choosing a cover. There's the always amazing artwork by Jo Chen as well as the variant by Georges Jenty which is a homage to Uncanny X-Men #138 (seen below):

The Bad:

While I do dig Georges Jenty's art, I have to admit there are some times where the characters lose their detail. I know that's part of the style but it sometimes just feels weird when a character's face can't be seen because they're standing in the background. Things get a little close to being too cheesy as Buffy and Angel look towards enlightenment. But the ending does make up for it.

The Verdict:

Even though this is billed as the "Final Chapter," that applies more towards the Twilight story. The overall story is still going. I enjoyed the comic but it started getting a little too sappy. I understand that there's a lot still between Buffy and Angel but there's also a lot of action involved in this story that we want to see. If you're a Buffy fan, you know how good this series is. If you're not completely familiar with the Buffyverse, this won't be the best starting point. Try backing up a few issues or pick up a trade.

Multiversity Comics: Advance Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #35

Advance Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #35 -

Posted by Gilbert Short
on Wednesday, May 05, 2010

In the final issue of Brad Meltzer’s Twilight arc we got a couple things going on. But unfortunately, not a lot of it makes sense. But by God does it look pretty. Georges Jeanty has been a welcome dose of stability in the title as it has some highs and lows in quality in the past 35 or so issues. I’m sorry to say, but Brad Meltzer, a very talented writer in his own right, never quite had the voices of the characters down. Couple that with a script that made little to no sense, especially in the final two issues. Angel waxes philosophic about how awesome this Twilight business is (which has a hilariously tragic sub-context, when you think about that OTHER vampire love story), but I find myself getting bored, not really caring about how the universe has been planning this for millions of years. There’s another word for it, apocalypse. Something you tried to stop on a daily basis when you were in Los Angeles. I’m really not sure what has gotten into his head, but it’s not the Angel I remember.

On the other hand, like I said earlier, thank GOD for Jeanty. His pencils have been the best thing about this book since its inception, and it continues to be the best thing the title has going for it. While he’s a tad on the cartoonish side, it really does strangely fit with the tone of the book. Whedon really went with his gut here, and it worked out big time. Even his covers are consistently the better of the two covers that come with the book. That’s not the say Jo Chen is terrible, but it’s a tad too realistic for my tastes.

Overall, this arc has been a bit of a letdown, from the reveal of who Twilight is to the reveal of WHAT Twilight is, all very convenient and all in all not at all that interesting. And I say this as the biggest Buffy fan I know. Thank God for a brilliant cliff-hanger (if not a little on the expected side) ending that kept me interested for the final act when Joss himself picks up the reins and closes season 8. Bring it on.

Final Verdict: 6.0 - Browse
Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Addicted Fan

Reviews of the issue.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 #35 Review - Comic Vine

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 #35 Review

Added by G-Man on May 5, 2010

We're still recovering from the revelation of Twilight and seeing the after effects of Buffy and Angel's hook up. The rest of the world is being torn apart. Is this the end of everything? There have been some crazy things happening in the Buffy comic lately and if you've ever watched the show, you really should be checking the comic out.

The Good:

Brad Meltzer continues to capture the characters as if they jump out of the television and into the comic. For anyone that has enjoyed the Buffy series, pretty much all the characters you'd want to see are here.

Throughout the story we also get tiny nods or Easter Eggs as usual. You'll have a hard time choosing a cover. There's the always amazing artwork by Jo Chen as well as the variant by Georges Jenty which is a homage to Uncanny X-Men #138 (seen below):

The Bad:

While I do dig Georges Jenty's art, I have to admit there are some times where the characters lose their detail. I know that's part of the style but it sometimes just feels weird when a character's face can't be seen because they're standing in the background. Things get a little close to being too cheesy as Buffy and Angel look towards enlightenment. But the ending does make up for it.

The Verdict:

Even though this is billed as the "Final Chapter," that applies more towards the Twilight story. The overall story is still going. I enjoyed the comic but it started getting a little too sappy. I understand that there's a lot still between Buffy and Angel but there's also a lot of action involved in this story that we want to see. If you're a Buffy fan, you know how good this series is. If you're not completely familiar with the Buffyverse, this won't be the best starting point. Try backing up a few issues or pick up a trade.

Multiversity Comics: Advance Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #35

Advance Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #35 -

Posted by Gilbert Short
on Wednesday, May 05, 2010

In the final issue of Brad Meltzer’s Twilight arc we got a couple things going on. But unfortunately, not a lot of it makes sense. But by God does it look pretty. Georges Jeanty has been a welcome dose of stability in the title as it has some highs and lows in quality in the past 35 or so issues. I’m sorry to say, but Brad Meltzer, a very talented writer in his own right, never quite had the voices of the characters down. Couple that with a script that made little to no sense, especially in the final two issues. Angel waxes philosophic about how awesome this Twilight business is (which has a hilariously tragic sub-context, when you think about that OTHER vampire love story), but I find myself getting bored, not really caring about how the universe has been planning this for millions of years. There’s another word for it, apocalypse. Something you tried to stop on a daily basis when you were in Los Angeles. I’m really not sure what has gotten into his head, but it’s not the Angel I remember.

On the other hand, like I said earlier, thank GOD for Jeanty. His pencils have been the best thing about this book since its inception, and it continues to be the best thing the title has going for it. While he’s a tad on the cartoonish side, it really does strangely fit with the tone of the book. Whedon really went with his gut here, and it worked out big time. Even his covers are consistently the better of the two covers that come with the book. That’s not the say Jo Chen is terrible, but it’s a tad too realistic for my tastes.

Overall, this arc has been a bit of a letdown, from the reveal of who Twilight is to the reveal of WHAT Twilight is, all very convenient and all in all not at all that interesting. And I say this as the biggest Buffy fan I know. Thank God for a brilliant cliff-hanger (if not a little on the expected side) ending that kept me interested for the final act when Joss himself picks up the reins and closes season 8. Bring it on.

Final Verdict: 6.0 - Browse
Old 05-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Addicted Fan

I have my copy of Buffy Season 8 #35.Twilight Part IV of IV.

First of all,I really loved this issue.I mean really. Now there are still questions that haven't been answered yet.Specifically about Angel and how he ended up the way he did as Twilight.That's not really answered in this issue and I am suspecting that Joss will probably tackle this more fully himself.But Angel is on the road to redeeming himself and I love how it's Buffy who lays it on the line with him and Angel following her back to help her stop what they've caused.I do think more info is coming though

Here's a transcript of the B/A talk following the five page preview.It's intermingled with the gang dealing with the invading demons.

Andrew gets hurt protecting Warren as already been shown and Warren actually shows worry for Andrew.

Warren in a panic kneeling over the injured Andrew:XANDER!WILLOW!ANDREW'S BLEEDING BAD!

Amy and the General reveal that they are planning to double cross the gang.

Amy:Warren does know we're going to kill them after all this,doesn't he?

The General:Relax Amy.Current problem first.Our erstwhile leader and his COOZE are AWOL,and if I were guessing,I'd bet that boy has no idea what he just ripped open.

Then we cut to Buffy and Angel in Twilight.Their clothes constantly change as their environment does.This is explained in the issue.

Buffy:But we did have the sex part,right?

Angel:Yes,we had the sex part.Mother of mercy,we had the sex part.So much doubt always.It IS your mind,Buffy---it's both of ours----but we're not trapped in it.I think we're finally free.

Buffy annoyed:You don't even know,do you?You're guessing as much as I am,TWILIGHT.

Angel:You know that's not what I am.Think of how we got here.This place----it's a place of pleasure---a place you've never been---and the only way we get here is with each other.

Buffy considers this with a wide eyed look and than points a finger with a raised eyebrow:One,that is the single velveeta cheesiest come-on line,I've ever heard.Two,if you say this is HEAVEN or something stupid like that ,I will SOCK you.

Angel:I know why you use the jokes,Buffy.It's the same reason Xander does.

Buffy:That's not true.Xander enjoys his jokes.

Angel:And you can make as many as you want.But it doesn't change where we are.Look around...you see it don't you?

Their clothes and environment change.They're now in the Bronze.

Angel:This place---it reacts to US.

Buffy looking at her clothes:Then why's it keep putting me in graduation gowns?No one looks good in graduations gowns.

Angel:That's not a graduation gown.It's a spanish mourning robe from the sixteenth century--(flashback to a vampire Vs. a slayer in the sixteenth century wearing the same clothes)--- worn by a slayer from the late 1590's.Your outfit before that--the Indian sari---was from a slayer in the seventeenth century.I know you feel it Buffy.This place---think of it as a higher plane.

Buffy stomping off:It's NOT a higher plane.It's like I said.IT'S A TRAP.

Angel:Both of those statements can be true.

Buffy annoyed:Will you stop talking like Giles?Buffy walks through a door into a white void.See?It's not a higher plane?It's a daffy duck cartoon!

Their clothes have changed again.

Angel following Buffy into the white void:That's the beauty of it.It looks that way because you made it that way.Just like we---Oh.I get it.That's why it first looked like Eden.That's the one thing the best philosophers had right.We build it ourselves Buffy.Paradise is ours to write.

Buffy angry:That's fine.Great speech.But all I wanna write is the part where I see my friends.

Angel:You know where they are.They're wherever you want them to be.

Buffy:Well then I want them to be right----

a rip opens showing them what's going on in our world with the demon invasion.

Buffy shocked with her hands to her mouth:OOOH.That was actually easier than I thought.

Buffy and Angel watching the chaos with Faith fighting a large demon(Faith has her slayer powers back)

Buffy:Well that's certainly the SUCK part of Eden.Did we cause that?

Angel in shock:I-I didn't think it would be----We can help them.We can fix it.We can fix EVERYTHING Buffy.

Angel taking Buffy's hand:After all these centuries---No more fighting---no more failing---No more dying.

Angel clasping Buffy's hand:The universe we're going to make.It's not just that we get to be TOGETHER,Buffy

Buffy looking into Angel's face teary eyed.

Angel:---We finally get to be happy.

More of the gang fighting the demons.Buffy and Angel watch.

Angel quickly clothes the rip so they don't have to watch anymore.

Angel:They can handle this,Buffy.

Buffy:You don't know that.

Angel:It's no different than when you died.They'll survive.They always do.

Buffy:You're just saying that because you can live without knowing the outcome.I can't.

Angel:The outcome is beyond us.The only absolute in the earth is that it will end.

Buffy:But TODAY is different than LATER.My friends are different than---Are you really not GETTING this?

There clothes change again.

Buffy re-opens the rip in the void back to the world.

Buffy:THAT"S what I need to fight for.Not happiness.Not humanity.THEM.Those people.

Angel:You are fighting for them.That's why you were sent here!This is the end.

cut to the gang fighting while Angel voices-overs.:The end of what's down there---and the beginning of a new era.

Angel clasping Buffy's hands:The beginning of us.You don't have to choose.The universe already chose us!All we have to do is leave behind the lower plane.

Buffy pushing Angel back:Leave behind?My family is on that lower plane.My family.

shot of Xander holding the bleeding Andrew:BUFFY!!!

Warren:She can't hear you.

Xander:She can.She always can.

Back in the Twilight void

Angel:You do under stand that being here is what you're meant for?

Buffy smileson't you know me by now,Angel?

Buffy with a determined look:I NEVER do what I'm meant for.

Now comes one of my favorite moments.

Buffy re-rips open the void back to earth while given Angel a resolved look

Angel:If you stay here,we can evolve.

Buffy:F%%% Evolution

Buffy starting to step through the rip.

Angel:So you'll just walk away and ignore what the universe has spent millions of years setting in motion?

Buffy smiles at Angel:Yup

Angel looks shocked.Buffy looks back at Angel sadly.Angel looks down ashamed at himself.

Angel looks back up with a small smile and a determined look on his face:Okay.Lets Go.

Buffy looks up at Angel with a teary eyed smile on her face.

They're clothes have gone back to normal:

Buffy tying her hair into a pony tail:I did miss you.

Angel:I missed you too.

Than we come to this panel.

as they dive through the rip together hand in hand..The rip seals itself up.

Buffy and Angel arrive together back on earth in a two page splash page with Angel kicking the ass of the demons on one side and Buffy kicking the ass of the demons on the other side.

Xander looking up:BUFFY! as a dead demon falls

Giles looking up:BUFFY! as another dead demon falls.

Dawn looking up:BUFFY! as a third dead demon falls.

Willow looking at Angel pissed off:And TWILIGHT.Can I just mention that I preferred Angelus?

Angel as he super speeds to her rescue:Had THAT coming...

Willow angry:What you got coming you better hope never comes.GO SLAY.

Buffy while fighting off a herd of the demons:How many of these things are there?

Willow using magic to fight off more demons:Uh,infinity-ish?

Buffy while fighting:Willow,I'm sorry.

Willow while fighting:I know,I know----you don't know what came over your.

Dawn:We've got another attack coming!They've got a weapon on this one!

Willow:I see it!.That's not a weapon!That's---(gets excited)Oh,this is gonna be good.

Then we get this panel.

The thing crashes.

Willow,Giles and Faith stare at it.

Dawn,Warren and Xander stare at it.

Dawn:Is that--?

Buffy,Angel and Satsu stare at it.

Buffy with her mouth hung open:Oh,this is gonna be bad.

The hatch opens and a voice comes out:ENOUGH of this.

We see two booted feet as the gang stares.

The voice:You wanna put these demons down and end this "TWILIGHT" crap once and for all?

reveals Spike sporting rings and black nail polish:You talk to ME.

The END(of the beginning)(of the end)

I think the final arc by Joss will be Buffy,Angel,Spike and the rest of the gang all working together trying to undo the Twilight mess.

I'm also wondering if Spike brought some backup on the vehicle.Maybe some members of Angel Investigations?I know Angel created characters are supposed to be off limits but at this point I wouldn't rule anything out.

I have my copy of Angel:Barbary Coast #2 as well but haven't gotten to it yet

Last edited by comic fan; 05-05-2010 at 02:50 PM
Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for that, sounds good. sorta disappointing
Icon: ?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Addicted Fan

As I mentioned in my Buffy #35 comments,I also got my copy of Angel:Barbary Coast #2 today.It was a great read.

Angel,and he is refered to as Angel in the issue, brings the girl Ling back to Xin as part of their deal for Xin's help in calming Angel's guilt.

Things don't go as planned.It seems Ling is cursed with the dragon that is tattooed on her.She becomes a giant fire breating dragon and escapes into San Francisco.

Xin won't complete the deal until Angel stops the dragon who will destory the city.Angel doesn't really care.He's only worried about his soul and only cares about himself.

Xin points out that by helping save the city he'll also be helping save himself.Any ease of pain Xin gives Angel will only be short term if Angel's not ready to change.

Angel breaks it down clearly.

Angel:So you're saying I have to want to be good before I can be good?

In order for Angel to slay the dragon,he must stab it in the back door of its heart.Whatever that means since even Xin dosen't know.

So Angel goes to track down and battle the dragon with some hic cups along the way.The biggest being at the end of the issue.The 1906 San Francisco earthquake hits while Angel is fighting the dragon and right before sunrise.

Another strong issue in this miniseries.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Addicted Fan

Here's another review of Buffy #35.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #35 Review - Comics Review at IGN

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #35 Review

Brad Meltzer sets the stage for Joss Whedon's end game.

by Andy Bentley

May 5, 2010 - Buffy #35 brings about the conclusion of Brad Meltzer's Twilight arc, but there are still many questions left to be answered heading into Season 8's final months. Meltzer handled Joss Whedon's characters well, particularly the Buffy/Angel dynamic. But the Twilight concept still remains a bit obtuse and I can't help wondering why Whedon himself didn't tackle this important turn in the Buffy comic.

The main dilemma of the issue is Buffy's choice to stay with Angel in Twilight, a higher plane of existence, or return to save her friends from immediate danger. Buffy's choice should be obvious to most, but the real question is what Angel might do. (Again, though, this is probably a no brainer given how much time has been spent building to this point.) Yet there are still several lingering questions about the Twilight concept and how it ultimately fits into this eighth season. Angel's evil facade of the villain (also named Twilight) is chalked up to the pull of the Twilight universe but no further explanation is given. There are more efficient ways of getting him and Buffy to meet. It's also unclear whether his manifesto of eliminating all magic is still being carried out by other forces. The reveal of Twilight as Angel was certainly shocking, but the explanation afterwards was a lot of innuendo and suggestion.

If you picked up the Georges Jeanty variant cover, you're no doubt aware it's a spot-on homage to Uncanny X-Men #138 right down to the Toys 'R' Us font used for Whedon's credits. Both feature a dejected team leader named Summers walking away from their crew, yet this doesn't really jive with the story. This has been a flaw throughout Meltzer's arc: overindulging in comic book homages that don't add up to much. Meltzer used many homages in his Green Arrow run, but this worked given the strong bond between Ollie and his family. Twilight recreates the Buffy/Angel dynamic but it feels like nothing new has been added. Whedon's tone is a very difficult one to recreate and, to his credit, Meltzer maintains the characters' voices. But maybe leave out the torture device from the X-Men/Teen Titans crossover.

Georges Jeanty continues to tell the further adventures of Buffy well and avoids the trappings found in live action comic book adaptations. He's able to find the essence of the character rather than a caricature of the actor who played them. He has a tendency towards larger heads and eyes on some of his female characters, but wisely avoids the muscled comic book proportions found in super hero titles. The artistic highlight of this issue has to be the final splash page which reveals an old but familiar character.

Obviously this series has a lot of back story, but the story arcs are relatively easy enough to jump into. Twilight is probably the first arc of the series I was a bit underwhelmed by, but with Whedon's final act rapidly approaching, I'm on board for the rest of the "season."

7.2 OVERALL
(out of 10)
Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Addicted Fan

Jo Chen Cover and Solicitation for Buffy Season 8 #36.

FIRST LOOK: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" #36 - Comic Book Resources

FIRST LOOK: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" #36

Courtesy of Dark Horse, CBR presents Jo Chen's cover for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight" #36 featuring the return of both creator Joss Whedon and Spike.

by CBR News Team, Editor

Courtesy of Dark Horse, CBR presents Jo Chen's cover for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight" #36 featuring the return of both creator Joss Whedon and Spike.

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight" #36

Season Finale part 1 of 5
Writer: Joss Whedon
Penciller: Georges Jeanty
Inker: Andy Owens
Colorist: Michelle Madsen
Cover: Jo Chen
On sale: September 1, 2010
Price: $2.99

The Big Bad finally stands revealed—Angel is Twilight, and it's tearing the Scoobies apart, testing the limits of their friendship.

Seems like a perfect time for Spike to come back.

Joss Whedon writes the final five issues of Buffy Season 8, taking his greatest characters to places only he can take them! Teamed with series artist Georges Jeanty, Joss counts down to the biggest Buffy final ever—and it starts right here!

Well,we knew why they waited until after #35 came out to release this.Is,"Season Finale" the actual title of the arc?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Addicted Fan

The Georges Jeanty cover For Buffy #36 is also out.

EXCLUSIVE: ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’ Comic Parodies ‘Twilight: New Moon’ Image

[quote]EXCLUSIVE: 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Comic Parodies 'Twilight: New Moon' Image

by Rick Marshall

Things have been heating up lately in the Buffy-verse thanks to recent events in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight," but it's good to know the creative team responsible for the hit series is still having fun with Buffy, Angel, Spike and the rest of the gang.

Take, for example, the upcoming cover by "Buffy" artist Georges Jeanty for issue #36 of the series, revealed exclusively to Spash Page by Dark Horse Comics:

Look familiar?

Just in case it's not ringing any bells, here's one of the first posters for "Twilight: New Moon," featuring an entirely different breed of vampire than Angel or Spike.

Brilliant, eh?

Here's all the official info for the issue, which hits shelves September 1:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight #36
Season Finale part 1 of 5

Writer: Joss Whedon
Penciller: Georges Jeanty
Inker: Andy Owens
Colorist: Michelle Madsen

The Big Bad finally stands revealed—Angel is Twilight, and it's tearing the Scoobies apart, testing the limits of their friendship.

Seems like a perfect time for Spike to come back.

Joss Whedon writes the final five issues of Buffy Season 8, taking his greatest characters to places only he can take them! Teamed with series artist Georges Jeanty, Joss counts down to the biggest Buffy final ever—and it starts right here!

On sale: September 1, 2010
Price: $2.99

Let us know what you think of the cover in the comment section or on Twitter!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread