Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Addicted Fan

I have Buffy # 22.Part II of," In Pieces On The Ground."

I'll keep this short since I very busy with the holiday right this second.I was lucky to get to the comic shop today but I really wanted to get my comics before the Christmas holiday.

The Willow/Buffy conflict I actually really enjoyed and like others,I don't think this is the end of it.

Dylan ended up being much adoe about nothing which I guess was playing with our expectations.What the character represents is nice but there wasn't really much to the character.

Overall a decent but not remarkable issue IMO.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Angel & Faith # 22.

Preview :: Dark Horse Comics

Old 12-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 23.

Preview: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #23 - Comic Book Resources

EXCL. PREVIEW: Betrayal Looms in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" #23

The Sculptor makes a tempting offer to Andrew in Christos Gage & Megan Levens' "Buffy: Season 10" #23 from Dark Horse Comics.

The Sculptor makes a tempting offer to Andrew that requires a smidgen of Buffy betrayal. But the potential gains seem too good to pass up. Will Andrew go evil, or will Buffy need to keep the former ne’er-do-well in check to ease the tension among the Scoobies?

Old 01-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Addicted Fan

I got Angel & Faith # 22,Part II of <"A Tale Of Two Familes."

I don't really have much to say about this issue.It was decent but Angel faking it was very telegraphed.Also it is hard getting Angelus's voice right in the comics.

Still don't think Archaeus is great big bad.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 AM
Addicted Fan

The covers for Angel & Faith # 25.

SPOILER! Covers for Angel & Faith S10 Issue #25 | Buffy-Boards

Reminder,this is the last issue of Angel & Faith for season 10.

The covers for Buffy # 26.

Preview pages for Angel & Faith # 23

SPOILER! Preview for Angel & Faith S10 Issue #23 | Buffy-Boards

Old 01-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for sharing. Looks good.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 01-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Addicted Fan

Here's the solicitations to go with the April 2016 covers.Also Buffy The High School Years Comic is solicitated.

Dark Horse April 2016 Solicitations Include "Aliens: Defiance," "House of Penance" & More! | Comic Book Resources

Angel & Faith Season 10 #25

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Mike Norton (Variant cover)

On sale April 6
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

Angel, Faith, and the whole of Magic Town will be needed in this final face-off with Big Bad Archaeus and Drusilla. Its vampires versus . . . well, everyone!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #26

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale April 20
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

The Scoobies are falling apart—and so is the world they are trying to save. While demon lords are still on the loose, Buffy has become distracted, and a bit enraged, by another crisis that is affecting those closest to her . . .

Buffy: The High School Years—Freaks & Geeks TP

Faith Erin Hicks (W), Yishan Li (A), Rod Espinosa (C), and Scott Fischer (Cover)

On sale June 1
FC, 80 pages
$10.99
TP, 6” x 9”

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is back in classic action in a tale set during her first year at Sunnydale High School! Burdened with the stress of a new school, making new friends, and sleepless nights spent slaying the undead, Buffy becomes the target of a group of nerdy vampires hoping to climb the vampire social ladder.
• Eisner Award–winning author Faith Erin Hicks (The Adventures of Superhero Girl)!

• Set during Season 1 of the television series.
“They’re bringing the angst, the action, and the cool to Buffy the Vampire Slayer!”—Bleeding Cool

Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 AM
Addicted Fan

1rst advanced review for tomorrow's Buffy # 23.

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #23 - Wicked Horror : Wicked Horror

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #23 –

January 19, 2016By Nat Brehmer

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #23 feels like the true first step on the path to the season 10 finale, in the best way possible. While headroom isn’t necessarily made with each character and their fear of separating from the overall group, each of those distances is at least addressed and brought back to the forefront. In particular, the issue focuses most heavily on Andrew and his penchant for always stabbing his friends in the back—sometimes literally.

Other than finally coming out and having that arc wisely mixed with his overall need to discover himself and his place in the world, Andrew hasn’t gotten much play this season. He’s been used sparingly, but it’s worked. Many of those sparse moments have been character defining and this issue is certainly no different. At the beginning,

Andrew is approached by a villain introduced earlier in the season called the Sculptor. The demon offers to make a new body for Jonathan, Andrew’s best friend, who he killed in cold blood back in season seven. While Andrew’s redemption arc has been a source of comic relief since the last TV season, it’s become a pretty serious thing. He’s had major missteps as recent as season nine and while he often gives us some reasons to root for him, he’s rarely if ever given us a reason to trust him. This issue is all about that.

Of course, there are other characters who get their time in the spotlight as well. While Buffy and Willow may have stopped outright fighting over Willow’s decision to work with the military, they’ve found that actually working together under those conditions is much easier said than done. We also get to see Dawn’s study group, which is nice because it’s just about the first time we’ve seen her in the academic setting—even though she’s been going to college since before the comics began with season eight—and because it’s the first time we’re introduced to any of Dawn’s actual circle of friends.

I really hope to see more of them, too. I know there’s only room for so many characters, but it would be an easy way to see what’s going on with Dawn and how she’s dealing with everything, to just see her interact with her friends away from all the official Scooby business.

Last, but not least, we have Buffy and Spike. Their relationship has been called into question a lot lately, but issue #23 does a very appreciated thing by not talking about the same old points over and over again. Instead, the doubts and possible distance of their relationship at this point are expressed only through the artwork. We’ll see a brief, unreciprocated look, or maybe just a twinge of doubt in the face. Little things like this, I think, more effectively set us up for the fall and will make it more believable when it inevitably comes. Of course, there’s every possibility that Buffy and Spike could work through their differences and be a stronger couple for it, but from the stuff we’ve seen so far, especially over the last couple of issues, I don’t think that’s the route that Christos Gage and company are going to take.

As it has always been, Buffy is best when it is firmly focused on the character relationships. This issue is no different, but it’s also an important one because it plays with our expectations for those characters as well.

WICKED RATING: 8 Stars (8 / 10)
Old 01-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Addicted Fan

Two Buffy # 23 reviews.I should have my copy tomorrow.Can't wait for the weekend since Maryland(where I am) is going to be hit by that big snow storm.

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #23 | Geeked Out Nation

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #23

by Jideobi Odunze

It has been an intriguing conflict with the Mistress, Sculptor, and Soul Glutton. Indirect assaults, and a lot of it forcing the gang to confront what they bring to the table in order to combat against them. The previous issue of Buffy dove into Willow’s place amongst all this chaos which meant striking a balance between magic and science. This issue seems to take a different direction as finding ones place might also come with falling back to old unfavorable habits.

That person who this issue focuses on is Andrew. Like Willow, he has a lot to offer though hasn’t been fully utilized in some time. Him more than anyone else as someone who usually drifts to the background considering he doesn’t live with the other Scoobies either. The Sculptor makes a tempting offer to Andrew that requires a smidgen of Buffy betrayal. Now some may look at this as nothing new for Andrew, though with everything we have been through so far, it feels fitting to still have a character who you would consider a wildcard. Could it be someone else? Sure. Though this is Andrew’s bread and butter, especially with the proper motivation. He is someone who always has the best of intentions even if how he goes about them are wrong. So we follow him to see just how wrong things can go for either him or Buffy, or if he might just change his ways. What actually happens was truly a shocker.

The big thing about this story arc is that the Scoobies are either growing up or they are growing apart. Everyone has a solution to the problem, and this is not the same group who will just simply follow one leader. We see a lot more of that in this issue as the constant invasions have begun to put everyone on edge. It is only unfortunate that it is Buffy who seems to struggle most with change in the face of this danger. Having said this, it shows how far all of the Scoobies have come that they can sit down and make those big decisions they wouldn’t have dreamed of before. One character makes one which no one saw coming, and it will be interesting to see what kind of development will come out of it.

As well as personal development goes, it was good to see the importance of the Book of Vampyr come back into play. This is something which has been a huge anchor for change with season 10 and what could make or break the good the Scoobies have done over the years.

This was one of those more heavily character focused issues where it was important to show what these characters are going through. As stated before, Megan Levens excels at bringing out those character emotions and expressions which are necessary for a series like this. Especially at such a sensitive point in time for everyone. They’re frustrated with how little of an impact they were making to stop all these invasions. They’re frustrated with each other because they all have their way about dealing with the problem. Then they all have their own personal issues to work out in-between all of that. So you can see where there is so much room to visually capture these big moments, and that is priority when we as readers need to believe what is happening. There are books out there a reader can relate to, though Buffy The Vampire Slayer is as genuine as it gets with normal people fitting into a supernatural world. The colors were on point as well because there were so many different races present just from the council and it is always the colors which will bring out those fantasy elements needed to breathe life into them. Particularly as far as magic is concerned. And you definitely want to see what Dan Jackson can do with what the council will soon be capable of.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #23 was big for Andrew, though also for many others as well. As focused as things seemed they would be towards Andrew, it was the smart decision to make sure there was a balance in everyone else’s story that is connected to the choices he makes.

Buffy Season 10 Issue #23: In Pieces on the Ground Part Three Review

Posted by Kory Cerjak
January 20, 2016

This issue title is foreboding…

Creative Staff:
Script: Christos Cage
Art: Megan Levens
Colors: Dan Jackson
Letters: Richard Starkings and Jimmy Betancourt

What They Say:
“In Pieces on the Ground Part Three”

The Restless Door, a powerful artifact with the ability to create portals to any dimension, has fallen into the hands of the Mistress, the Sculptor, and the Soul Glutton. While the trio of Big Bads is opening portals around the globe, bringing dangerous demons to earth, Buffy and the Scoobies are struggling to fight this demon world war. They are also struggling to get along, disagreeing about how to solve the problem…They might just be growing up…or apart.

Content: (please note that content portions of a review may contain spoilers):
There’s nothing REALLY good going on in Buffy-land. I mean, not that there every really is to a certain extent, but any good is outweighed by bad by a large margin. They gave the Magic Council special powers that apply to the individual members who hold seat on the council, Buffy and Willow are still bickering, and Andrew is back with a guilty conscious over Jonathan (I suppose because the former killed the latter).

Nothing is great, but nothing is really bad either. Buffy is dealing with more internal strife and the constant fear of attack from an outside force. It’s like the United States, but things actually do attack on a regular basis. And they’re taking up a bunch of resources to fight off and it’s tiring everyone out. They’re now allocating resources in a logical manner and using the resources they have to the best of their ability instead of crippling themselves by some sort of moral stance they feel they must take. Whoa, the parallels.

In all seriousness, the core in this issue—and in this series of stories—has been the characters, this time Andrew. For years he’s been trying to make up for the stupid mistakes he makes. He tried to bring Jonathan back and beefed himself up and did a slew of other things that I can barely even remember they’re so plentiful. And he’s finally realized that the old adage “two wrongs don’t make a right” rings truer than ever in real life than it does in any fiction.

In Summary:
These characters are learning more than they ever had fighting monsters, and they’re fighting monsters doing it. The issue paralleled itself with Buff and Willow bickering at the beginning and working together like always at the end. Because these bonds can be bent as far back as a limbo champion, but they will never break. They’ve lived together through, for some of them, literally two lives. They’ll die together when the time comes.

Content Grade: A
Art Grade: A-

Released By: Dark Horse
Release Date: January 20th, 2015
MSRP: $3.50

Some tweets from Christos Gage indicates the plan is to do a Buffy Season 11.

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/with_replies?lang=en

Christos Gage ‏@Christosgage · 8h8 hours ago
TODAY! Buffy #23! We are headed down the road to the grand finale, people!

Jessica ‏@jessicatNY · 8h8 hours ago  New York, USA
@Christosgage Finale?

@jessicatNY Season finale. Not series.

Black Widower ‏@William_Spike · 7h7 hours ago
@Christosgage @jessicatNY so Season 11 is definitely happening??

Christos Gage ‏@Christosgage · 7h7 hours ago
@William_Spike @jessicatNY As of right now, yes.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Addicted Fan

Two Buffy # 23 reviews.I should have my copy tomorrow.Can't wait for the weekend since Maryland(where I am) is going to be hit by that big snow storm.

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #23 | Geeked Out Nation

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #23

by Jideobi Odunze

It has been an intriguing conflict with the Mistress, Sculptor, and Soul Glutton. Indirect assaults, and a lot of it forcing the gang to confront what they bring to the table in order to combat against them. The previous issue of Buffy dove into Willow’s place amongst all this chaos which meant striking a balance between magic and science. This issue seems to take a different direction as finding ones place might also come with falling back to old unfavorable habits.

That person who this issue focuses on is Andrew. Like Willow, he has a lot to offer though hasn’t been fully utilized in some time. Him more than anyone else as someone who usually drifts to the background considering he doesn’t live with the other Scoobies either. The Sculptor makes a tempting offer to Andrew that requires a smidgen of Buffy betrayal. Now some may look at this as nothing new for Andrew, though with everything we have been through so far, it feels fitting to still have a character who you would consider a wildcard. Could it be someone else? Sure. Though this is Andrew’s bread and butter, especially with the proper motivation. He is someone who always has the best of intentions even if how he goes about them are wrong. So we follow him to see just how wrong things can go for either him or Buffy, or if he might just change his ways. What actually happens was truly a shocker.

The big thing about this story arc is that the Scoobies are either growing up or they are growing apart. Everyone has a solution to the problem, and this is not the same group who will just simply follow one leader. We see a lot more of that in this issue as the constant invasions have begun to put everyone on edge. It is only unfortunate that it is Buffy who seems to struggle most with change in the face of this danger. Having said this, it shows how far all of the Scoobies have come that they can sit down and make those big decisions they wouldn’t have dreamed of before. One character makes one which no one saw coming, and it will be interesting to see what kind of development will come out of it.

As well as personal development goes, it was good to see the importance of the Book of Vampyr come back into play. This is something which has been a huge anchor for change with season 10 and what could make or break the good the Scoobies have done over the years.

This was one of those more heavily character focused issues where it was important to show what these characters are going through. As stated before, Megan Levens excels at bringing out those character emotions and expressions which are necessary for a series like this. Especially at such a sensitive point in time for everyone. They’re frustrated with how little of an impact they were making to stop all these invasions. They’re frustrated with each other because they all have their way about dealing with the problem. Then they all have their own personal issues to work out in-between all of that. So you can see where there is so much room to visually capture these big moments, and that is priority when we as readers need to believe what is happening. There are books out there a reader can relate to, though Buffy The Vampire Slayer is as genuine as it gets with normal people fitting into a supernatural world. The colors were on point as well because there were so many different races present just from the council and it is always the colors which will bring out those fantasy elements needed to breathe life into them. Particularly as far as magic is concerned. And you definitely want to see what Dan Jackson can do with what the council will soon be capable of.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #23 was big for Andrew, though also for many others as well. As focused as things seemed they would be towards Andrew, it was the smart decision to make sure there was a balance in everyone else’s story that is connected to the choices he makes.

Posted by Kory Cerjak
January 20, 2016

This issue title is foreboding…

Creative Staff:
Script: Christos Cage
Art: Megan Levens
Colors: Dan Jackson
Letters: Richard Starkings and Jimmy Betancourt

What They Say:
“In Pieces on the Ground Part Three”

The Restless Door, a powerful artifact with the ability to create portals to any dimension, has fallen into the hands of the Mistress, the Sculptor, and the Soul Glutton. While the trio of Big Bads is opening portals around the globe, bringing dangerous demons to earth, Buffy and the Scoobies are struggling to fight this demon world war. They are also struggling to get along, disagreeing about how to solve the problem…They might just be growing up…or apart.

Content: (please note that content portions of a review may contain spoilers):
There’s nothing REALLY good going on in Buffy-land. I mean, not that there every really is to a certain extent, but any good is outweighed by bad by a large margin. They gave the Magic Council special powers that apply to the individual members who hold seat on the council, Buffy and Willow are still bickering, and Andrew is back with a guilty conscious over Jonathan (I suppose because the former killed the latter).

Nothing is great, but nothing is really bad either. Buffy is dealing with more internal strife and the constant fear of attack from an outside force. It’s like the United States, but things actually do attack on a regular basis. And they’re taking up a bunch of resources to fight off and it’s tiring everyone out. They’re now allocating resources in a logical manner and using the resources they have to the best of their ability instead of crippling themselves by some sort of moral stance they feel they must take. Whoa, the parallels.

In all seriousness, the core in this issue—and in this series of stories—has been the characters, this time Andrew. For years he’s been trying to make up for the stupid mistakes he makes. He tried to bring Jonathan back and beefed himself up and did a slew of other things that I can barely even remember they’re so plentiful. And he’s finally realized that the old adage “two wrongs don’t make a right” rings truer than ever in real life than it does in any fiction.

In Summary:
These characters are learning more than they ever had fighting monsters, and they’re fighting monsters doing it. The issue paralleled itself with Buff and Willow bickering at the beginning and working together like always at the end. Because these bonds can be bent as far back as a limbo champion, but they will never break. They’ve lived together through, for some of them, literally two lives. They’ll die together when the time comes.

Content Grade: A
Art Grade: A-

Released By: Dark Horse
Release Date: January 20th, 2015
MSRP: $3.50

Some tweets from Christos Gage indicates the plan is to do a Buffy Season 11.

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/with_replies?lang=en

TODAY! Buffy #23! We are headed down the road to the grand finale, people!

Jessica ‏@jessicatNY · 8h8 hours ago  New York, USA
@Christosgage Finale?

@jessicatNY Season finale. Not series.

Black Widower ‏@William_Spike · 7h7 hours ago
@Christosgage @jessicatNY so Season 11 is definitely happening??

Christos Gage ‏@Christosgage · 7h7 hours ago
@William_Spike @jessicatNY As of right now, yes.

ETA

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/...ntent=1&page=3

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 #23

Written by Christos Gage | Drawn by Megan Levens

It seems like Buffy writers always have an innate ability of when it’s time to take a step back from the main cast of the series, and give the spotlight to a side character. The issue isn’t entirely devoted to Andrew, but it’s his guilt over the death of his best friend that propels the majority of this issue’s main conflict. The inner struggle between making up for the sins of his past, and committing future sins weighs heavily on Andrew’s mind and the book’s narrative. The side plot of this issue deals with Buffy and the gang writing some new magic laws, there isn’t much that comes from it in this issue, but the debate and future implications add some gravity to this issue. Megan Levens fills in on art, and while she’s not quite as unique a talent as Rebekah Isaacs, she’s fits perfectly in the style. Buffy is finally ramping up again as the season continues to move toward a conclusion. –Levi

Final Score:

Last edited by comic fan; 01-21-2016 at 01:19 PM
Old 01-21-2016, 07:58 PM
Addicted Fan

I have Buffy # 23,Part III of"In Pieces On The Ground."I was lucky to get my copy today.I can't wait until the weekend since I'm about to have 18 to 24 inches of snow dropped on my area starting tomorrow night.So I really wanted to get my comics today and did.

I thought this was a very strong issue.I actually like how Andrew was handled in this issue and that in the end he did the right thing.

As for Jonathan,he didn't feel like Jonathan but then again,he is a A.I. program so there is that fact.

Hate seeing the rift between Buffy and Willow but I am interested in where this goes.

As other haves said,I don't trust . D'Hoffryn and think he's going to become a big threat by the end of the season.

Said to see Giles decide to leave to go to that other domain but it's understandable.I'm sure he'll be ack in the final season arc.

On the Buffy/Spike front.Putting my preferences aside,I think this could go either way at this point.

Liked seeing Dawn with her study group and their reaction to Buffy and her group poofing in.

So I really like the issue..
Old 01-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the latest news on the comic books.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 01-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 24.

Spoiler! - Preview for BTVS S10 Issue #24 | Buffy-Boards

Old 01-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview Pages for Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks

https://bnccatalist.ca/ViewTitle.aspx?id=3777323

Buffy: The High School Years--Freaks & Geeks

By (author): Joss Whedon
By (author): Faith Erin Hicks
Illustrated by: Yishan Li

Jun 28, 2016

Forthcoming

$13.99 CAD

Moving to a new school and making new friends will create enough anxiety for any teenage girl. But when you’re Buffy Summers, a vampire slayer—the Chosen One (with all that entails)—building a new life can be overwhelming. A group of nerdy vampires, shunned by their cooler brethren, decide to climb the vampire social ladder by taking out the Slayer. They play on Buffy’s insecurities, wearing her down until she is full-on distracted by the mental warfare. But in addition to her Watcher, Giles, this Slayer has a couple of new friends, Willow and Xander, to cheer her on…except, of course, when they’re not getting along.

Award-winning author Faith Erin Hicks (The Adventures of Superhero Girl) brings the angst, the action, and the cool to Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

Series Overview: This is an original graphic novel. Currently two stand alone volumes are planned.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Addicted Fan

Steve Morris talks about his cover for Buffy # 24

Buffy the Vampire Slayer-comic cover s10 issue 24 by StevenJamesMorris on DeviantArt

RedSatinDoll5390 Dec 9, 2015
Gorgeous cover art! I'm curious as to what the "concept" was - I assume that you're given a concept that you have to interpret visually, or how does the assignment work?

StevenJamesMorris Dec 10, 2015
Thanks! I think they told me to show discord between Buffy and Spike and have The Mistress in the picture. So with that basic set-up I decided on the metaphor of being at sea and struggling over a life preserver while This Mistress sings. Since I had already done a Buffy/Spike discord cover on #12 that was more direct, I felt I needed to rely more on metaphoric imagery, so the covers don't get repetitious.

RedSatinDoll5390 Dec 21, 2015
That's meant to be discord? I read it more as Buffy (the Hero) coming to save the day, determined to get Spike away from the Mistress and Spike trusting her to do just that even when his will is being weakened by the Mistress. (they've sort of been in this place before - Buffy saving Spike from the First, etc.)

Or maybe I'm an eternal optimist/ Buffy fan, I believe that she will always come through in the end. (And I'm a sucker for Buffy being the Hero and taking the lead while others follow or trust in her. Heck, that's what keeps me coming back to the Buffyverse.)

But that's the neat thing about art like this, it's open to interpretation. At least, I hope different interpretations are ok! It's interesting how little information you're given, and how you have to make something of very little - and then seeing how much fans read meaning into the covers and try to determine the storyline from that. i think we need to remember that the covers may have little or nothing to do with what's inside.

Thank you so much for doing such splendid work this season!

StevenJamesMorris Dec 22, 2015
Ha, yeah they were supposed to be vying for the life preserver like a tug-of-war and grimacing at one another. But in my effort to use metaphor and building a scene around it, I can see that the reading of it can get muddled…but like you said, many of the covers can be interpreted freely and the multiple readings of the image probably exist within the content of the story itself.

It can definitely be dangerous reading storyline into my covers, partly bc I'm not always showing literal events, but rather encapsulating feelings (like this cover for 24)…and then there's moments where I think the story changes some, and my cover becomes less relevant, it's one of the dangers of working so far ahead of the final story.

RedSatinDoll5390 Dec 23, 2015
From what I recall as a kid with my brother's comics in the 1970's and '80's, covers usually had little or nothing to do with the events on the pages, they were simply a way to draw people to the comic, like movie posters.

I'm not sure when folks started using the covers as a method of "divination", like reading tea leaves, to try to suss out where the story might be headed. Maybe that started with the internet, and people being able to see previews? In any case I've seen some fairly detailed analysis of cover art and trying to determine story direction based on those images.

And a certain amount of flexibility in interpretation is not a bad thing. (Buffy and Spike in particular are such complicated characters to begin with.)

StevenJamesMorris Jan 9, 2016
I think 70s and 80s covers sometimes exaggerated the peril that the characters were in, some were specific to story lines and some were just meant to look good and to be later used by the publisher as posters and merchandise…the more generic the cover is, the more widely it can used for other purposes…like Spiderman or Storm in a cool pose.

I wonder if people speculate specifically bc this comic was originally a tv show and they were used to speculating on previews of episodes…although the most shows at some point started giving false impressions in previews, by cleverly editing them to make you think certain things were happening that weren't. I don't notice the level of speculation with other comics, but I may be missing it. I think you're right that the internet also creates environment for speculation.

For myself, I'll totally tell white lies on covers if I think it will make a more interesting image.

RedSatinDoll5390 Jan 21, 2016
*lol* It's amusing to see folks on fan forums try to predict the trajectory of the comics based on the covers.

You're probably right that people are used to speculating - Buffy has a rich history and fans are still discussing every imaginable nuance.

Will you be doing covers for season 11, do you suppose?

StevenJamesMorris 6 days ago
I don't know about season 11, I haven't heard anything yet…curious myself
Closed Thread   Post New Thread