Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Addicted Fan

I'm hoping to get to the comic shop by Friday and have my copy then.

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #17 - Geeked Out Nation

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #17

by Jideobi Odunze

It’s felt like quite some time between the last issue of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, though nonetheless always an exciting week when an issue hits the shelves. Angel has been thrown back into the mix for this crossover and really shakes things up at such a sensitive time when Archaeus is waiting for his next attack. All for the best of course when we get another issue full of heart, laughs, action and twists. That much this creative team never fails to deliver.

What’s great about Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #17 is how Angel goes through as much growth as the others. Even more in such a short time. Meeting up with the others again was the best way to give him some sort of closure that was better for his character development than what he was doing in Magic Town in his own series. That’s not to ignore anything he has done in his own series, though this was an inevitability that Angel would have to confront to better him after what he had done in the past. The big thing of course was coming to terms with his relationship with Buffy now that she and Spike seemed to be the better fit together. There are many ways that confrontation could have went that would make things feel like more of the same, though it was good to once again see how far they have all come to handle things a bit more maturely. Not 100%, but close enough which is progress necessary to display.

That’s not to say that Angel is the only one to do some personal exploration as confronting the others meant them owning up to what they come to acknowledge about where they all went wrong individually. It’s really engaging when they can all have someone to lean on because personal experiences have given them a perspective worth sharing with someone else who’s in a pinch. Now with that said it was smart that there was a balance between this and the mission at hand which was taking down Archaeus. He’s still the big threat and the only fear you could have is when he’s not. Luckily the character moments didn’t distract from this as there was plenty of action, especially near the end.

Definitely one of the more favorable issues of Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 so far because this is the main cast in their element. Suited up, armed with their weapon of choice, and doing what they do best. For example, it wasn’t too shocking though equally as exciting when seeing what Andrew brings to the table with his tech. With as many characters that are involved in this story, it as always is impressive when there is a solid use of space to make sure everyone looks relevant. To see that is just as important as their conversations with one another and the art team nailed it to the very end. Beyond this you have to like the way Archaeus is captured as the villain because it’s what he tends to have up his sleeve that is most dangerous compared to taking on the heroes upfront.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Addicted Fan

I got my copy of Buffy # 17 ,"Old Demons" Part II of III today.I enjoyed the issue overall.My favorite parts were really Angel's interactions with Xander and Dawn.I actually really wish Xander could head to Angel & Faith for a arc.

Archaeus isn't doing much for me at this point.

Don't really have much else to say even though I did enjoy the issue.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 18.

Preview: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #18 - Comic Book Resources

EXCL. PREVIEW: Angel & Spike Fight Tooth and Nail in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" #18

A powerful demon forces Angel & Spike to turn on one another in Gage & Isaacs' "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #18 from Dark Horse Comics

Angel & Buffy crossover event!

The Slayer’s advantage against a powerful demon—having super-awesome friends—may be her undoing as Archaeus pits Spike and Angel against one another.

ETA

Christos Gage previews the next to last arc of Season 10.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/29...eason-10-comic

Writer Christos Gage previews new arc of Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 10

by Andrea Towers •

Posted July 29 2015

Although Buffy the Vampire Slayer formally went off the air in 2003 after seven seasons, the supernatural series focusing on the slayer and her Scoobie gang have continued their adventures in comic form, thanks to Dark Horse Comics. Throughout the past two seasons, Buffy and her friends have encountered various demons, new magic such as daylight vampires and relationship struggles. In season 10, however, they’re facing their biggest challenges yet — growing up.

With the second-to-last arc of season 10 approaching, Buffy and Spike must up to battle in a “contest of champions” organized by demon Harmony Kendall. In addition to an exclusive reveal of the cover and variant for issue 21 (out this fall), EW spoke to writer Christos Gage about the stories he has planned for our favorite Scoobie gang.

EW: Can you talk about this new arc (the second-to-last one, to be specific) and where we find our heroes?
CHRISTOS GAGE: This is the one where the threat level really ramps up. Without spoiling some things that happen in issues that haven’t come out yet, the danger in our semi-final arc spreads out to affect the whole world. Our heroes are going to have to up their game to match it. In some cases that means working harder; in other cases it means allying themselves with people – or things that aren’t people – they normally wouldn’t want anything to do with. Whether it’s on TV or in comics, Buffy has always worked best when it reflects life stages most of us go through, but with a supernatural twist: high school, first love, first heartbreak, college, death of a loved one, etc.

For Season 10, it’s really about that point where you go out into the world as an adult, even though you may not feel like one. You have to make decisions that you’d rather avoid, often with no obvious “good” or “bad” choice, and live with the consequences … often with huge ramifications for your life and the people you care about. There’s no one holding your hand and telling you what to do, and those who are usually have their own agendas you have to be wary of. In the midst of all this, you’re supposed to be launching a career, figuring out how to get past whatever neuroses, flaws and bad habits you spent your existence up to now acting on, and determining what kind of person – if anyone – you want to spend the rest of your life with. If that sounds like a lot of pressure, it is. For the Scoobies, it also happens to involve vampires, Krakens and mushroom people.

How have you felt the characters of Buffy and Spike specifically evolve throughout your journey with this comic?
That’s the whole reason we thought it would be interesting to have Buffy and Spike pursue a relationship. They’re very different people than they were during Season 6. Of course, in a lot of ways, that just presents a new set of challenges. And that’s what I really love about the Whedonverse comics. You can actually have the characters grow and change. It’s not like you have to return the toys exactly as you found them. Look at how Willow changed from season 1 to season 7. The fact that Joss encourages character growth is, to me, what makes this exciting!

I love the art that Megan Levans is doing in the recent issues. Has it been fun to write these monsters or demons and have her bring them to life in her art?
Megan has been wonderful — as has our regular artist, Rebekah Isaacs, and of course colorist Dan Jackson and letterer Jimmy Betancourt. They’re a murderer’s row of talent! For the arc we’re discussing, I gave Megan a whole bunch of monsters to design — new members of the Magic Council, among others — and she just aced it. Both Megan and Rebekah have an amazing facility for creating monsters that are weird and unearthly, but you can also see emotion in them, even if it’s just sheer evil or alien weirdness. That’s a rare skill, and a crucial one for this book. Hopefully the confidence I have in them comes across in the scripts. I know both Megan and Rebekah sometimes drop me a note to say they enjoyed a specific script, or bit, or character, and while I too rarely do the same for them, sometimes I’m so blown away by a page or a scene or a little detail (like the boots Andrew wears in the sewers) that even I remember to let them know. We’re having fun, and I hope it shows.

One thing that I always loved about Buffy was that above all, it focused on family and friendship. I feel like we’ve gotten to see so much of that in the comic, which is part of why I really enjoy reading it. How much fun has it been to find new stories to tell?
Thank you! It’s the characters that bring us all back, isn’t it? We’re all very conscious of the fact that this is the first time since the TV show ended that the Scoobies are all together, so it seemed like a natural point of emphasis. Of course, the life stage we’re exploring — becoming an adult, forging a life for oneself and figuring out what it’s going to be — is an interesting one. That’s when many of us find ourselves drifting apart from at least some of our old high school and college friends, as we make different choices about what’s important to us going forward. That couldn’t ever happen to the Scoobies, though, could it? Is it possible the Big Bad of Season 10 is…adulthood?

Can you give me at least one thing to tease in issue 21?
How about a name? Satsu. And the return of Vicki the Vampire, Harmony and Clem.

Last edited by comic fan; 07-29-2015 at 02:32 PM
Old 08-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Addicted Fan

I got my copy of Angel & Faith # 17,Part II of"Those Who Can't Teach,Teach Gym" yesterday.

I thought the issue was fun.I'm really liking the dynamic between Faith and Fred.And it's nice to get this spotlight with Angel away over at Buffy.The Buffy tie-in was nice too.

The Drusilla reveal wasn't a surprise since it was already spoiled in solcicitations for upcoming isuses but it's nice to see her back.

This has been a fun arc so far.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Addicted Fan

Cover and solicitation for Angel & Faith # 20.

EXCLUSIVE: Angel Goes Knives Out In Scott Fischer's "Angel & Faith" #20 Cover - Comic Book Resources

EXCLUSIVE: Angel Goes Knives Out In Scott Fischer's "Angel & Faith" #20 Cover

The November installment of the Buffyverse serial sees Angel take the fight back to Drusilla and company.

Kiel Phegley, Staff Writer

A break in their partnership and a crossover with "Buffy" aren't the only things that the stars of Dark Horse's "Angel & Faith" have to fight thought as "Season 10" continues. The publisher exclusively shared with CBR a first look at the cover and solicitations for November's "Angel & Faith Season 10" #20, and as artist Scott Fischer's work shows, Angel is ready to cut his way through Drusilla and company's conspiracy to take down the magic of London.

Angel & Faith Season 10 #20

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Mike Norton (Variant cover)

On sale Nov 4

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Ongoing

Angel, Faith, and Fred have only just begun to delve into the plans that Drusilla and the Big Bad Archaeus have made for London’s Magic Town. With Nadira in danger and so many unknowns—including how to fight against this demon that is literally a part of Angel, Drusilla, and Spike—the team has to quickly gain distance on a long road . . .

CBR added the second cover.

Last edited by comic fan; 08-10-2015 at 04:38 PM
Old 08-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Addicted Fan

November 2015 Season 10 Solliciations.The Angel & Faith # 20 info came out the other day.The Buffy # 21 covers came out a week ago.

"Call of Duty" Debuts, "Usagi Yojimbo" Hits #150 in Dark Horse's November 2015 Solicitations - Comic Book Resources

Angel & Faith Season 10 #20

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Mike Norton (Variant cover)

On sale Nov 4
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

Angel, Faith, and Fred have only just begun to delve into the plans that Drusilla and the Big Bad Archaeus have made for London’s Magic Town. With Nadira in danger and so many unknowns—including how to fight against this demon that is literally a part of Angel, Drusilla, and Spike—the team has to quickly gain distance on a long road . . .

"Victor Gischler, Will Conrad and Michelle Madsen are the right team to handle Angel & Faith."—All-Comic

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #21

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Nov 18
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

Demon invasions are becoming a worldwide threat, and Buffy is tasked with convincing the vampire community that they should help fight the invasions. But to win them over, Buffy and Spike have to triumph in one-on-one battles with the finest vampires around—and Harmony is organizing the event!

Angel & Faith Season 9 Library Edition Volume 3 HC

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Jan 13
FC, 288 pages
$29.99
HC, 8" x 12 3/16"

When a demon from Giles’s past reemerges in London, it gives Angel the opportunity he’s been waiting for: capturing the final piece of the late Watcher’s soul. Faith’s Slayer comrades discover her long-standing relationship with public enemy number one, Angel. And if that wasn’t enough, Slayers start turning into zombies! Collects Angel & Faith Volumes 4 and 5.

• Expanded sketchbook and deluxe oversized format.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Addicted Fan

Okay,I managed to get Buffy # 18,the conclusion of "Old Demons' on actual new comic day.

I have to admit that I was really nervouse about this arc going in as a Buffy/Angel shipper but I really liked this issue and arc as a whole.

First of all IMO,I don't think this closed the door on B/A happening again one day.If anything this arc may of given it a stronger foundation down the line.That may be shipper blinders on but that's how I feel after this arc.

All I wanted was for Buffy and Angel to part on good terms and I got that so I'm totally satisfied.

I really loved the interaction between Angel and all the scoobies in this arc and this issue.

This arc has really made me wish Xander to head to Angel & Faith for a arc but I doubr it will happen with Angel & Faith ending at issue 25.

Also loved how Angel & Spike parted too as well as how Spike helped Angel overcome Archaeus.

As for the end and Angel's comments on Buffy/Spike's future.Putting my shipper prefrences aside,I don't think Gage is necessarly telegraphing how spuffy will end.I think that could go either way.

The one thing that did not work for me is Archaeus.The character is just too abstract for me so I'm not excited about the idea of Archaeus.continuing in Angel & Faith.I guess we'll see.

It was good to see D;hoffryn and the book of magic factor in again.Also thought Angel's reaction to him was funny.

So to finish,I was overall very happy with this issue and arc as a whole.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Addicted Fan

Comic Book Reviews for August 19, 2015 - IGN

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 #18

Written by Christos Gage | Drawn by Rebekah Isaacs

The Angel guest arc of Buffy is finally over and, luckily, it ends much better than it began. Angel and Spike are forced to work together in a more clever way here than in previous issues, and there’s a speech from Angel at the issue’s close that pays off some of the earlier rough spots in a big way. Rebekah Isaacs' character work is as expressive and dynamic as ever, but her monster designs leave something to be desired. Archaeus simply doesn’t have an interesting enough design, or pack enough menace to make him feel like a real threat. It will be a shame if the Big Bad doesn’t evolve in some way before this season is over. -Levi

Final Score:

ETA

The Full Christos Gage Slayalvie Q/A for Buffy # 18 is up

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...y-Season-10-18

Last edited by comic fan; 08-20-2015 at 11:46 AM
Old 08-22-2015, 04:45 AM
Addicted Fan

Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #18 - Comic Book Resources

[I]Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #18

by Greg McElhatton, Reviewer

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #18 wraps up "Old Demons," the three-part Buffy/Angel team-up that finds them trying to stop the demon Archaeus. While the renewed conflict between Angel and Spike is the high point of the comic, the actual end of the fight against Archaeus leaves a little something to be desired.

Don't get me wrong, having a strong character interaction isn't a bad thing; if anything, it's handled with a lot of grace and thoughtfulness. Christos Gage understands the eternal conflict between Angel and Spike and, if anything, that adds an extra level of maturity to it. The moment that will almost certainly grab readers' attention is that final page, as Angel gives Willow his long-term prediction for the Buffy and Spike relationship. It's harsh and it's depressing, even as Angel explains it in a way that builds on every single thing we've learned to date about immortals in the Buffy universe. True or not, Gage has given us a haunting warning that will hover over the cast of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" for some time.

On the other hand, the actual fight against Archaeus -- with the exception of the Angel/Spike moment there -- is really forgettable. There's nothing that stands out in terms of the fighting and, if anything, the wrap-up is almost immediately undone. Essentially, both the villain and his weapon have just been passed down the line for future battles and/or usages. There's no real conclusion here, just a stop-gap measure. At the end of a three-issue fight, it ultimately neuters the character a bit and makes him less interesting; Buffy and company didn't necessarily have to destroy him for this to stand out, but this feels like it was fairly pointless in terms of that portion of the story.

Rebekah Isaacs and Dan Jackson happily do a nice job on the art. Her likenesses are good here, especially on Buffy and Willow, although even less prominent characters like Dawn come across well. While the fight itself feels a bit pointless, the choreography as they duke it out is certainly fast-moving on the page. The squad trying to destroy the box looks perpetually overwhelmed as Isaacs draws them, and Jackson's coloring makes the mystical energies stand out in deliberately crowded panels.

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #18 is the sort of comic that promises A but delivers B instead. While B (in this case a mini-treatise on immortals in the Buffy universe) is good and feeds in well to the overall character development of the cast, it's still a little frustrating to not get anything in A (the fight against Archaeus) to sink one's teeth into. Still, considering how consistent the book has been overall under Gage and Isaacs, a slide into just-alright territory is by no means the end of the world. I'm still sticking around to see how this plays out. Not a bad issue, but not the strongest in the series either.
/i]
Old 08-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Addicted Fan

Full Rebekah Isaacs Slayalive Q/A for Buffy # 18.

Spoilers *COMPLETE* Q&A with Rebekah Isaacs for Buffy Season 10 #18
Old 08-31-2015, 01:41 PM
Addicted Fan

The issue is out this week but finally the preview pages are out.

Preview :: Dark Horse Comics

Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Addicted Fan

Bleeding Cool speculates about a Buffy Season 11.

Buffy - Will There Be A Season Eleven - In 2017? - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

Buffy – Will There Be A Season Eleven – In 2017?

Posted September 3, 2015 by by Rich Johnston

We asked the question about Season Ten three years ago. And there was.

The end of Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Ten is less than a year away. Issue #30 for the Buffy series, issue #25 for Angel & Faith, stretching to August next year.

It will mark the second “season” since the end of the TV Buffy The Vampire Slayer and the decision to continue the TV show in continuity as a series of comic books.

The first may have been dazzled by the infinite-FX budget of comic books, but may have lost the insular nature of the TV show, defined rather than restrained by its restrictions.

That’s something Season Ten has embraced more, bringing it back to the “Scooby Gang” time after time, even as they underwent many a change. Especially Giles.

The comic book is popular enough for Dark Horse and the license costs aren’t likely to be high right now, so long after the TV show ended.

So the odds are good. However, to justify a new season, it is likely that the comic will have to take a big plot lurch.

Could the comic continue, say, without Buffy? What would happen if the slayer was… turned? Mindless speculation of course. But that’s probably the way I’d go…
Old 09-05-2015, 04:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Review: Angel & Faith: Season 10 #18 - Comic Book Resources

Angel & Faith: Season 10 #18

by Greg McElhatton, Reviewer

"Angel & Faith: Season 10" has been in a difficult position. After Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs' previous series ended up being a success (and critically eclipsing its parent title), the creative team moved over to tackle Buffy, leaving poor "Angel & Faith" behind under new hands. Victor Gischler and Cliff Richards' "Angel & Faith Season 10" #18 has taken the step of firmly tying this series to what's happening in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10," and it's a smart move on all counts.

By having the same major villain behind the events of both titles, not only does "Angel & Faith Season 10" feel a little more "critical" in terms of reading, but it also gives Archaeus a bit more of a strong presence in each title. Gischler's script wisely places Archaeus in the role of manipulator, showing that it was his hand that moved Drusilla into St. Cuthbert's to prey on the students. It helps keep Drusilla at a place where she can still be a little crazy but also have an actual plan, which is a nice balance.

The plotting is a little deus ex machine (although at least this time it's not a literal god coming to save the day, which is a relief) but, at the same time, I do appreciate that Faith and Fred are smart enough to know when they need to call in some backup. With the book building up a larger supporting cast in recent issues, this move both makes sense and also reinforces the presence of these other characters. The fight itself (Faith and Fred versus the vampires) is perfectly fine, and I also appreciate that there's a reason why poor Mary was being stalked (even if we're not entirely sure what the item on that last page does).

I've always found Richards to be a variable artist, so I'll cut right to the chase: I think this is one of his best contributions to the Buffyverse. Drusilla's saunter while talking to Mary looks pretty perfect in terms of portraying Juliet Landau, and Fred in particular looks on model without feeling stiff or posed. The action sequences work well, and I like the moment where Faith is fighting towards Drusilla while all of the other vampires continue to swarm her in an attempt to hold her back. While some of the close-ups on Faith's face seem a little droopy, it's a minor nitpick in a comic that otherwise really works well. Richards and colorist Michelle Madsen have created a handsome looking comic and it's a pleasure to have the visuals coming together.

"Angel & Faith: Season 10" #18 is definitely one of the better issues in the series, and I feel like the book is now on track to barrel towards its (eventual) conclusion. The villain is well established, the cast is works well together and the utter absence of Angel this month is barely even felt. All in all, a thumbs up.

I should have my copy later today.

ETA

Got my copy of Angel & Faith # 18,Part III of "Those Who Can't Teach,Teach Gym."

Not a bad issue.Most of us were already spoiled about Dru and Archaeus and I'm still not sold on Archaeus based off how he was used over in buffy but we'll see here.

I really liked the Faith/Fred temaup element of this arc.It was a nice change of pace.

Also was nice to see Koh back.

As I've seen mentioned by others,I agree that this is the first time in a while that vampires felt more threatening.That I think happens just by the long run of the product.

The Walking Dead tv show has suffered a little from that too although the new spin-off Fear The Walking Dead is bringing that threat back due to it's timeline and setting.

Overall I thought this was fun little arc.

Last edited by comic fan; 09-05-2015 at 10:50 AM
Old 09-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 19.

Preview: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #19 - Comic Book Resources

EXCL. PREVIEW: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" #19 Gives Giles a Second Chance

Willow's magic helps Giles give adulthood a second try in Dark Horse Comics' "Buffy: Season 10" #19 by Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs.

With a little help from Willow, Giles is given a second chance at adulthood, and the demon scourge smells weakness. Meanwhile, Buffy and Dawn are reunited with their neglectful father, Hank Summers.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:36 AM
Addicted Fan

Covers and Sollicictation for Season 10 December 2015 comics.

EXCLUSIVE: Buffy The Vampire Slayer #22 And Angel & Faith #21 Covers | Comicbook.com

Dark Horse Comics has provided ComicBook.com with an exclusive first look at the covers for Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #22 and Angel & Faith Season 10 #21.

The issues follow the recent crossover that had Angel teaming up with Buffy and Spike against the demon Archaeus, progenitor of Spike and Angel’s vampiric bloodline. In Angel & Faith #21, the problem follows Angel home, and he and Faith have to defend London’s magic town against both Archaeus and Drusilla’s legion of vampires.

Meanwhile, Buffy’s closest relationships are beginning to fray as Willow and Spike both take action behind her back. Will things fall apart, or can relationships mend over ice cream, as seen in series artist Rebekah Isaac’s variant cover?

Check out the official solicitation text and all four covers below. Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #22 and Angel & Faith Season 10 #21 go on sale in December.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #22

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Dec 23
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Onging

Willow’s loyalties to Buffy are questioned when she makes a decision behind the Slayer’s back . . . Are the besties growing apart? Also unknown to Buffy, Spike has a conversation with an old friend that leads him to question the patterns of his relationship with Buffy.

Angel & Faith Season 10 #21

On sale Dec 2
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

Attacks in London’s Magic Town by Archaeus and Drusilla’s vampires reach a fever pitch, putting Angel and Faith back on their heels. In an attempt to turn the tables on the Big Bads, Faith seeks their new hideout and Angel walks into a trap—on purpose!

Closed Thread   Post New Thread