Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2015, 04:28 AM
Addicted Fan

The Buffy Season 10 Vol 4 TPB also is sollicitated in December.

"Mystery Girl" #1, Rucka Writes "Dragon Age," & More in Dark Horse's December 2015 Solicitations - Comic Book Resources

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 Volume 4: Old Demons TP

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Feb 10
FC, 136 pages
$18.99
TP, 7" x 10"

Buffy needs serious backup. With an ultimate Big Bad, Archaeus, connected to so many from the Slayer's past, she's calling in reinforcements—and saying to hell with the awkward consequences. As the gang get closer to Archaeus, the extent of his plans and their connection to the new rules of magic are revealed. Collects Buffy Season 10 #16–#20.

"The most consistently good of the post-series Buffy comics to date."—Comic Book Resources
"Perfect reading in every way."—SciFiPulse

Old 09-16-2015, 05:03 AM
Addicted Fan

First advanced review for Buffy # 19

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #19 - Wicked Horror : Wicked Horror

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #19

September 15, 2015By Nat Brehmer

Fans and readers have been looking forward to this issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a while now, eager to see what happens when Giles—who returned from death in the form of a child and was stuck that way—is restored to his older body for a single day. It’s an interesting variation on the typical wish-driven “If you only had one day” trope, because all Giles finds is that he doesn’t really have anything to do. The gang are all adults now. They don’t need another adult now, at least not one to instruct them and give them guidance. They’re all capable of doing that for each other now.

This is juxtaposed really well with the return of Hank Summers. I was nervous going into this as to how Hank would be treated and, naturally, how he would treat Buffy and Dawn. Mostly, I was worried that he would be forgiven of his past transgressions and that Buffy and Dawn would welcome him back into their life. Luckily, that’s not the case. When Hank shows up and talks to them, he’s just as bad as he’s ever been, maybe even worse. He oozes sincerity. Christos Gage clearly took a good look at the few episodes in which Hank appeared in and emulated the personality he displayed very well.

This is the first time that the siblings have seen their father since before Joyce’s death. He didn’t come back for the funeral, or even when she was sick, not even just to see the kids. Technically, this is Dawn’s first scene with Hank ever. It’s interesting, in that context, that he caters to Dawn and is much more focused on her, almost as if he sees Buffy as a lost cause. Which is probably true. Hank’s appearance in “Nightmares” in the first season is something fans are still talking about, because in Buffy’s nightmare he tells her that he left because of her. Obviously, much of that is Buffy’s projection, but it does lead into my next point.

Mainly, I think Buffy’s going to get a lot of undeserved flack in this issue. She’s quick to almost side with her father and almost immediately starts suggesting she does much more harm than good and even says Hank is more of Dawn’s family than she is. It’s extreme. But it’s clearly in there and I used “Nightmares” to point out that it’s not something new and it’s understandable that she would go to that place. When you’re around someone like that, someone who was supposed to be a role model and a positive, guiding influence on your life and turned out to be anything but, it can absolutely do things to your self-perception and especially your self-worth.

It drives the issue to a point that’s sweet, but nothing we haven’t known for years, and that’s the fact that Giles is Buffy’s real father. Gage treats this as though it’s not common sense at this point, which is a little weird, but I think the larger point is that she gets to have that moment of fatherhood with Giles before he reverts back to child form. The overall point there seems to be that Giles was her father, but circumstances are different now. And they’re both crying when they share their average paternal hug because he’s not going to be an adult again for a long time. This is the last time they’ll ever have that moment.

Naturally, that ends the issue on a bittersweet note. There are some fun moments in the issue, to be sure, especially Giles’ reunion with Olivia. Now that he’s an adult and their relationship was (from what we’ve seen) mostly sex-based, it goes a lot better this time. It’s also interesting that Spike appears nowhere in the issue, and I’m really looking forward to finding out what he was doing during this time.

WICKED RATING: 7 Stars (7 / 10)

ETA

Megan Levens video interview from LBCC 2015.Some Buffy stuff.

http://fanboycomics.net/index.php/in...mics/item/5587

Some bulletpoints

1)Upcoming in season 10.Tension between the scoobles.

2)Some things readers have had issues with come to light and will be addressed and she hopes no one hates her.

3)A little more spuffy time.

4)Address more Willow.

5)She gets to draw lots of tentacles.

4)She would love to do Angel & Faith or Angel in Buffy.She loves Angel and would jump to work with the character.

5)She wish she could drwar more Willow.

6)Kid Giles is fun to draw.She just inked a page with him and a new character.

ETA 2

Recent new Buffy editor Jim Gibbons is leaving Dark Horse.

https://twitter.com/enemyofpeanuts/s...35942424702976

Jim Gibbons‏@enemyofpeanuts
And that's it... my final day at @DarkHorseComics complete! Updates on the exciting new gig soon...

And here

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/...at-dark-horse/

I assume Buffy will have a new editor.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Scott Allie stepping down as EIC this past week.He is now Senior Executive Editor .

Bleeding Cool did a big interview with him this week.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/...at-dark-horse/

He admits he did not enjoy being Editor In Chief and wasn't very good at it either.It also sounds like he is going back to editing books again.Wonder if he could be returning as editor of the Buffyverse?

Last edited by comic fan; 09-16-2015 at 03:09 PM
Old 09-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Addicted Fan

I have my copy of Buffy # 19,"Freaky Giles Day."

I had to get to my comic shop today by hook or crook since it will be closed the rest of the week until Monday due to Baltimore Comic Con.The owner of my comic shop created and runs the convention so if I didn't get there today,I would have to wait until next week.

I really loved this issue.Yes,it can be considered filler before and after the next big arcs but it had a lot of character stuff I think.Plus I loved seeing grown Giles again for just a day.This issue really worked as a nice bookend to the idea that Buffy no longer needs a mentor to teach her.But I think this issue also shows that while show no longer needs a a parent,she'll always loves Giles.

The sequence on the roof was so perfect and really to me represents the metaphor of a child no longer needing a parent in the same way once they've grown up and become a adult but still needing them in their life,their love.Buffy may no longer need Giles as a father,and he really was her father(this was the whole point of bringing Hank back) but still needing him in her life anyway even if it's in a different way.Which it will be with giles returning to being a child.

Much as parents get to live their own lives once their children grown up and move on out into the world.Giles gets the same but in a much bigger,scarier and Buffyverse way by getting to grow up again.And the second time is going to be just as scary,more even since Giles is carrying his life experiances fro mthe first time around in his young body.

I probably could go on longer but I really loved this issue and bringing Hank back now and in this way really worked to show just how bad a father he was vs. Giles.

A review of Buffy # 19

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #19 - Geeked Out Nation

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #19

by Jideobi Odunze

It’s the start of a new story arc now that Buffy and the gang have had their introduction to Archaeus. When picking up Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #19 it would be assumed that this issue was filler just from the description of the story. Goes without saying that when it comes to Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 everything matters. We get the supernatural elements of this series, but the personal half is just as important if not more. They are at their core trying to find that balance between fighting off the forces of evil while trying to live normal lives. As normal as things can get.

It has been some time since Gile’s issue with his age has been the center of attention. Now is better than never that we get back to this as others have come further along dealing with their personal problems. Some could probably think this is a weird time to focus on giving Giles this second chance at adulthood, but finding the time to focus on him is a bit tricky. This was that best time where there is a pause enough in the main storyline where it doesn’t come off as a distraction. In fact how this all played out to dealing with Archaeus was just as smart in execution. Though getting back to Giles as an adult, the approach you admire because it explores the challenges of what being an adult means to Giles. Christos Gage dissected what it means to be a father figure vs. being a Watcher. Both of which is a struggle for Giles now that he is now neither those people.

This here was coming to terms with the fact that Giles needs to focus on the second life he has now, and not the one he had before. Plenty of us have always wondered what it would be like to go back and not make those same mistakes we regret. To do things differently for a better outcome. All this was seen through Giles and you sympathize with him. Especially when Buffy decided to be blunt with Giles about his importance to her at this stage in her life.

Buffy and Dawn’s half of the story as well hit home when the weight of everything these two have been through falls in their lap as they reunited with their neglectful father, Hank Summers. We’ve come a long way with Buffy as she has matured throughout her adventures, and it was hard to see her life from the perspective of someone who doesn’t really know her as he should. The truth he spoke could not be argued, yet not what you expect from a father. Plenty of times we have heard what’s wrong about this guy, and barely saw much of him in the show, so this experience with Hank was a reality check. A reaffirmation of what family is to Buffy and Dawn which is a powerful message at the end of the day.

It feels like forever since we’ve seen Giles at an older age. As close to it as Willow could get. A feeling of nostalgia almost sank in because if not for Buffy and Dawn’s own problem this would have felt very close to the first season. What sold the emotion in this issue of Buffy is Rebekah Isaacs’s own expressive style that keeps this story grounded in a supernatural world. You could feel the anger Buffy felt when her dad makes another attempt to be a part of their lives, to the feeling of being broken as he indirectly throws her failures in her face, to the disappointment Giles accepts as he finds out the hard way that being his old age again wouldn’t be everything he dreamed. The focus here was on their personal lives and she captures that with how they go about handling everyday things down to their consistently unique clothing choices. It’s all natural expression to these characters and that makes them both real and relatable.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #19 is an emotional rollercoaster. Yet again another example of how this creative team have knocked it out of the park with this season 10. It’s not just about fighting evil anymore, it’s about living their lives the best they can as well.

Preview pages for Angel & Faith # 19.The new arc is titled,"A Little More Than Kin."

Preview :: Dark Horse Comics

Old 09-24-2015, 06:20 AM
Addicted Fan

Comic Book Reviews for September 23, 2015 - IGN - Page 3

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #19

Written by Christos Gage and Nicholas Brendon | Drawn by Rebekah Isaacs

This issue of Buffy may be familiar to Fantastic Four fans as Giles is given one day to return to having an adult body, in a story that echoes many of the FF issues that have similarly seen The Thing return to being Ben Grimm. Even though the basic story is familiar, including similar lessons learned, Christos Gage is able to use this one-off issue as a reprieve from the recent big storylines. It’s a welcome, back to basics kind of issue that benefits from the surprising appearance of Buffy’s rarely-mentioned father. The dichotomy between Buffy’s biological father and Giles (her father-figure) is obvious, but still emotionally satisfying and is a perfect chance to remind us of how much we love these characters. -Levi

Final Score:

Old 09-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Addicted Fan

Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #19 - Comic Book Resources

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #19

by Greg McElhatton, Reviewer

I'll just come right out and say it: I'd hold "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #19 up there alongside some of the television show's high points. Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs start with what seems like a one-off gimmick -- allowing Giles 48 hours to temporarily become an adult again -- but quickly bring us down an emotional rollercoaster that touches on several of characters.

The regressed-to-a-preteen version of Giles has always seemed like a slightly strange choice for the series, but one that's worked out well enough. In the case of "Freaky Giles Day," though, we're getting the full impact of how this kind of setup can work, as the issue gives us some strong, engrossing storytelling. At first, Gage builds up the comic in ways where we know what's going to happen: Giles' reunion with Olivia for an evening of passion, test-driving cars, legally drinking. Similarly, Buffy and Dawn's lunch with their wayward father heads down the same sort of predictable path, with a reminder of his irresponsible and never-there nature.

Then, of course, Gage flips everything on its side. Giles realizing the downside of his proper age is to be somewhat expected, but what took me truly aback was the emotionally crushing conclusion of the comic. The one-two punch of Buffy being asked to stay away from part of her own family and Buffy and Giles's reconnection with his role as a father figure are palpably strong here. Gage carefully unspools those emotions in a perfect manner, with the revelation timed in such a way so both characters arrive at their peak at just the right moment.

All the while, though, Gage adds more than just emotional catharsis. There's some humor (primarily but not exclusively from Xander), some action sequences, a reminder of the good parts of being younger and even a nod to how Dawn and Willow have both managed to create real-world pathways for themselves, too. It's a well-rounded script that gives a little something in each category and does so excellently.

Isaacs has proven her skill time and time again (both here and on "Angel & Faith"), drawing likenesses as part of her strong, energetic style. Here is where we get to see her add Anthony Stewart Head to her repertoire, and he looks perfectly on-model while never seeming posed or fake. That said, as good as that is, it's the scene with Buffy, Dawn and Hank Summers that completely slew me. I love the moment where Dawn looks ready to spit-take while Buffy is not only blasé but looking to be just on the edge of actively pissed-off. Both of them are drawn so perfectly, without being exaggerated, that it sets up the end of the next page where Hank drops the real bombshell on the sisters and we learn even Buffy can still be emotionally dropkicked by her father. The stunned, empty look on her face when that rolls around is pretty near-perfect.

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #19 is a high point for "Buffy" as a whole, comics or otherwise. The art is great, the script is great and there's even a pair of snazzy covers from Steve Morris, Isaacs and colorist Dan Jackson. If you've written off the "Buffy" tie-in comics, think again. This comic reminds us that a media tie-in comic can not only be good, it can be fantastic. Highly recommended.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Addicted Fan

Covers and Sollictation for Angel & Faith # 22.

EXCLUSIVE First Look: Covers for ANGEL & FAITH SEASON 10 #22 | 13th Dimension, Comics, Creators, Culture

Get your FIRST LOOK at Scott Fischer’s cover and Mike Norton’s variant. Issue #22 is due in January.

Here’s the official solicitation info:

Angel & Faith #22

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A)

Michelle Madsen (C)

Scott Fischer (Cover)

Mike Norton (Variant)

On sale January 6

Faith faces off against Drusilla in a grudge match that could level Magic Town as Angel attempts to withstand Archaeus’s power over him. Meanwhile, a mysterious statue—a magical relic of great power—has been obtained by the Big Bad. What does Archaeus have planned for his new toy?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Elite Fan

Just picked up the latest issue, and I have to say, I'm hating Buffy's dad more than ever now.
It's taken me all this time to find out what I need
Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 20.

Preview: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #20 - Comic Book Resources

EXCL PREVIEW: What Is Anya's Secret in "Buffy: Season 10" #20?

Christos Gage and Megan Levens put the Scooby Gang through the supernatural wringer in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #20.

Called in for a supernatural-crimes case, Buffy and Spike discover an incubus demon is targeting women in San Francisco. Meanwhile, Xander and Giles work on an exorcism that stirs up some questions about Ghost Anya.

* Guest artist Megan Levens (Madame Frankenstein)!

Old 10-09-2015, 04:02 AM
Addicted Fan

I have Angel & Faith # 19,Part I of, "A Little More Than Kin."

I got the issue yesterday.Don't have much to say.I liked the issue.It fel like a transitional issue to me as we head into the finale of season 10 for this book.I liked the character interaction and stuff.But this issue felt like setup to me which is fine.Again,I liked it but not nothing really stood out.

ETA

The Dark Horse panel is this morning.It's still ongoing as I write this but some Whedonverse news did hit.

A new Buffy series was announced.To launch in June 2016.

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2015/1...28Buffyfest%29

11:35 Here we go!! New Buffy Series announced!!

11:37 The book will be set in Season 1 called "Buffy: The High School Years". To be written by Faith Erin Hicks, drawn by manga artist Yishan Li. Whew! So glad that's out in the open now...

We'll have an updated high-res of this cover later today.

https://twitter.com/buffyfest?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

buffyfest ‏@buffyfest · 21m21 minutes ago
BREAKING NEWS FROM #NYCC 2015 NEW BUFFY COMIC SERIES SET IN SEASON 1 - Buffy: The High School Years. Comes out June 2016! @DarkHorseComics

buffyfest ‏@buffyfest · 14m14 minutes ago
We'll have more deets about "Buffy: The High School Years" coming up later today!

ooh sorry, @lisatwingomez The new Buffy is written by Faith Erin Hicks @FaithErinHicks drawn by manga artist Yishan Li. @superliyishan #NYCC

Hmm,I noticed that the image does say Joss is executive producer like on the seasons 8-10 books.You can make part of it out under the DH Classified emblem.

Buffyfest will have more details on this new book later today.

ETA 2

An interview up already with the writer.Also artwork as well.Sounds like this is not a monthly but a one-shot story.

http://www.themarysue.com/tms-exclus...e-faith-hicks/

Exclusive: Dark Horse Announces New Buffy Graphic Novel at NYCC; We Interview Writer Faith Erin Hicks

by Teresa Jusino Friday, October 9th 2015

If you’re at New York Comic Con today, you may have already heard the news, but for those who missed it, Dark Horse Comics will be taking us back to Buffy’s high school years in a new, original graphic novel called Buffy: The High School Years – Freaks and Geeks, written by Faith Erin Hicks with art by Yishan Li (and cover art by Scott Fischer). Dark Horse has given us an exclusive first look at some of the artwork from the new book, as well as an exclusive interview with Hicks!

Teresa Jusino (TMS): Why should we revisit Buffy’s high school years? Haven’t we been there, done that? What is it about that period in Buffy’s life that warrants a re-visit? Is this about new readers, or do you think that long-standing Buffy fans have something to gain by going back to school with Buffy and the Scooby Gang?

Faith Erin Hicks: I’ve been thinking of this comic as as a lost episode of the TV show from early in season 1. It’s a fun story from early in Buffy’s Slayer life, when things were a little less complicated. Buffy’s in high school, recently moved to Sunnydale, she’d adjusting to her new life as the Slayer. She’s met Angel, but hasn’t yet dealt with all that drama. Buffy’s still tough and badass, but less experienced, and she makes mistakes because of that inexperience. I hope the comic will be for both new and old fans of Buffy. More seasoned fans will hopefully get a kick out of a brand new story from Buffy’s high school years, and because it’s not continuity heavy, a new fan with only a passing knowledge of the show could pick it up and enjoy a stand alone Slayer adventure. For me it’s a chance to get back to the core of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the excitement of seeing a superpowered teenage girl kicking all kinds of supernatural ass.

TMS: What drew you to writing this project? How did you get involved?

Hicks: What drew me to the project was the chance to work on a series that was formative for me. I started making comics because of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Seriously, I did! My very first comic, made while I was in college, was a rip-off (er, homage) to Buffy. It was about a superpowered teenager, her two friends, and the various supernatural goings-on she had to deal with while in high school. It was called Demonology 101, and I wrote and draw it as a webcomic from 1999-2004, back in the dark ages of the internet. Drawing that Buffy rip-off comic (er, homage) was how I fell in love with making comics, and why I now have this awesome career as a cartoonist. Seriously, 14 year old Faith is over the moon that an older version of her got to write a Buffy comic and Joss Whedon is vaguely aware that she exists.

TMS: Yishan Li’s art looks very inspired by manga and anime. It’s gorgeous! Was it a conscious choice to have an art style that’s kind of the ultimate “teenage girl” style?

Hicks: I love Yishan’s art, and I’m so thrilled to be working with her! I really wanted an artist that had a bit of the manga influence (I love manga), and drew in a clean, appealing style, to give the book a Young Adult feel. Buffy is younger in this story, she’s sixteen, still dealing with adolescence and homework and crushes, and I wanted an artist who could reflect that time in her life. I think Yishan is doing a fantastic job. I hope we get to work together again!

TMS: What can you tell us about what Buffy will go through in this story? Where are we in her Slayer-ness? How will she be tested?

Hicks: Buffy isn’t the tried and tested slayer of the later seasons of the show, or the in-continuity Dark Horse comics. It’s earlier in her relationship with the Scooby Gang, so her friendships with them are a little more tenuous. We’ll see Buffy’s relationships tested a bit, as well as her perception of herself as a good person. Buffy will have to deal with a villain who preys on her insecurities, who finds chinks in her Slayer armor. I don’t want to say more than that, spoilers!

TMS: We noticed in the Official Synopsis that we might only be getting to know Giles, Willow and Xander. So, will there be no Cordelia mean-girl antics? Will any of the other Scoobs be introduced?

Hicks: Willow, Xander and Giles are all part of this story, and Cordelia makes a cameo. If the book is successful, Dark Horse might have me back to write more, which would be awesome. I’d love to dive into more Scooby Gang stories, and hopefully include Cordelia more prominently.

TMS: Is this an alternate history, or a retelling? Really, I just wanna know if she’s gonna meet whiny, broody Angel. (#TeamSpike)

Hicks: I’d like to think of this story as something to enrich Buffy’s history, a little something extra from her past. So neither alternate history or a retelling. It’s a fight she went through earlier in her career. A fight which might include Angel, we don’t know yet. If I get the chance to write more of these stories Angel might show up, or he might just hang out in a cemetery, brooding in the rain or whatever he does for fun on Saturday nights.

Stay tuned for more news on the latest Buffy escapades from Dark Horse! Meanwhile, are you excited to return to Buffy’s formative Slayer years? Do you want to return to Sunnydale?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ool-in-new-ogn

NYCC: Hicks & Li Send "Buffy" Back to High School in New OGN

Joss Whedon's most enduring creation heads back to Sunnydale High in a new "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" story by Faith Erin Hicks and Yishan Li.

Stephen Gerding, Senior Editor

Cover art by Scott Fischer

2016, Buffy is headed back to Sunnydale High.

Announced at Dark Horse Comics' New York Comic Con panel, Faith Erin Hicks will script an all-new adventure of the teenaged vampire slayer, with art by Yishan Li. "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon will serve as executive producer on the graphic novel, titled "Buffy: The High School Years – Freaks and Geeks."

"I've been offered a few licensed comics over the last year & I always think 'what do I have to say about this character?' Hicks mused on Twitter following the announcement. "Sometimes I don't really have anything to say about a character or property. But I have lots to say about Buffy. "

"I’ve been thinking of this comic as as a lost episode of the TV show from early in season 1," Hicks told The Mary Sue. "It’s a fun story from early in Buffy’s Slayer life, when things were a little less complicated. Buffy’s in high school, recently moved to Sunnydale, she’d adjusting to her new life as the Slayer. She’s met Angel, but hasn’t yet dealt with all that drama. Buffy’s still tough and badass, but less experienced, and she makes mistakes because of that inexperience. I hope the comic will be for both new and old fans of Buffy. More seasoned fans will hopefully get a kick out of a brand new story from Buffy’s high school years, and because it’s not continuity heavy, a new fan with only a passing knowledge of the show could pick it up and enjoy a stand alone Slayer adventure.

"For me it’s a chance to get back to the core of Buffy the Vampire Slayer," Hicks continued. " The excitement of seeing a superpowered teenage girl kicking all kinds of supernatural ass."

"Buffy: The High School Years – Freaks and Geeks" arrives in 2016.

Art by Yishan Li

Last edited by comic fan; 10-09-2015 at 09:42 AM
Old 10-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Back To School In BUFFY: THE HIGH SCHOOL YEARS | Newsarama.com

Back To School In BUFFY: THE HIGH SCHOOL YEARS

by Lan Pitts, Newsarama Contributor
Date: 10 October 2015

Buffy Summers is heading back to school!

Dark Horse has announced the release of Buffy the High School Years, which takes her and the soon-to-be dubbed Scooby Gang back to the first season where it all began. Written by award-winning author Faith Erin Hicks and illustrated by Yishan Li, the new series has small band of vampires who don’t exactly run with the cool crowd and are looking to make an impression--by taking out the fresh Slayer.

Still new the job, Buffy will do her best to fend off these fanged geeks, all the while balance her social life and still trying to make new friends in Sunnydale. Newsarama had the chance to talk to Hicks about the series and how the horrors of high school made it in to the story, as well as exploring Buffy’s relationships at this point with her friends.

Newsarama: Instead of going forward in another season, we're actually going back to the high school years. Do you prefer Buffy stories in high school or later down the line in college and afterwards?

Faith Erin Hicks: Every period of Buffy the Vampire Slayer has something to recommend it. I think there's great stuff throughout every season. I have a lot of nostalgia and fondness for the early high school years. I was a teenager when Buffy first started airing on TV, and I loved the show so much that the very first comic I ever did was really, really similar to it.

Call it a homage (or rip off). Buffy was the first TV show to really get the whole horror plus comedy plus teenage angst thing, and I loved it from day one. I like the early seasons a lot because they're the closest to the show's original concept, one girl against all the evil in the world.

Nrama: Can you tell us a little bit about this new threat for this? Nerdy vampires? Is that even a thing?

Hicks: Sure, why not? I think it's hilarious. Haven't you noticed how whenever someone turns into a monster, like Xander's friend Jesse in the pilot episode, they get transformed into a seemingly more desirable (albeit evil) version of themselves? Jesse turns into a vampire, and suddenly he's completely self-assured, demanding Cordelia dance with him at the Bronze. Or like vampire Willow from the episode “The Wish." She's transformed from nerdy Willow into this much sexier Willow, who wears tight clothes, and is “kinda gay.”

But what if you were a geeky loser, you got turned into a vampire, and you didn't get transformed into a cool, sexy monster? What if you just stayed the same, and got picked on by the other vampires, because you were still a boring loser? As someone who was awkward and super nerdy and had no friends in high school , I thought the idea was really funny, so decided to run with it. And Yishan did such a good job drawing the nerdy vampire kids! I love our loser monster babies, they're trying so hard to do evil and they're so bad at it.

Nrama: So where exactly in the Buffy timeline does this series take place?

Hicks: It's season one, before the “Angel” episode.

Nrama: Oh, okay, so very early on. You know, high school seems like a lifetime ago, but are you putting any of your personal experiences in this arc, or at least some sort of sensibilities?

Hicks: Oh yeah, absolutely. I will always mine my awful high school experiences for comics! Not that I was an evil kid, but I love putting all the frustration I felt as a teenager into villain characters. The nerdy vampire kids are very close to my heart.

Nrama: Is this story at it’s heart a Buffy story, or is the Scooby Gang involved as well?

Hicks: The story is set very early in the Buffy timeline, so Buffy's relationship with the other Scoobys isn't as deep. Willow and Xander are her friends, and she has the mentor relationship with Giles, but it's not as strong as it is in later seasons. The gang is still getting to know each other, and learning how to fight together. Cordelia makes a cameo, but she's not a part of the group yet.

Nrama: One of the cornerstones of this Buffy era was her relationship with Giles. What does that relationship mean to you and how are you exploring it here?

Hicks: I've always considered Giles is super important to Buffy, so much so that the show just doesn't feel right without him. He's more than her Watcher, he's the person who helps ground her.

At the point of this story, though, their relationship is less deep. Buffy has just moved to Sunnydale, and is adjusting to her life as the Slayer there. Giles is an important part of that, but he and Buffy haven't yet defeated the Master or dealt with Angel, so their relationship is a little more basic at this time. They're strictly Watcher and Slayer. Maybe if I get to write more of these books, I'll do more with their relationship.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Dark Horse January 2016 Solicitations.The Angel & Faith # 22 one was released a few weeks ago.

"Hellboy Winter Special" & More in Dark Horse Comics' January 2016 Solicitations - Comic Book Resources

Angel & Faith Season 10 #22

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Mike Norton (Variant Cover)

On sale Jan 6
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

Faith faces off against Drusilla in a grudge match that could level Magic Town as Angel attempts to withstand Archaeus’s power over him. Meanwhile, a mysterious statue—a magical relic of great power—has been obtained by the Big Bad. What does Archaeus have planned for his new toy?
• The final arc of Angel & Faith Season 10.

“I fall in love with these characters every time a new issue comes out.”—SciFiPulse

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #23

Christos Gage (W), Megan Levens (A), Dan Jackson (C), Steve Morris (Cover), and Rebekah Isaacs (Variant Cover)

On sale Jan 20
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

The Sculptor makes a tempting offer to Andrew that requires a smidgen of Buffy betrayal. But the potential gains seem too good to pass up. Will Andrew go evil, or will Buffy need to keep the former ne’er-do-well in check to ease the tension among the Scoobies?

• Issue #23 variant cover connets with issue #24 variant cover!

Angel & Faith Season 10 Volume 4: A Little More Than Kin TP

Victor Gischler (W), Cliff Richards (A), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), and Scott Fischer (Cover)

On sale Mar 9
FC, 136 pages
$18.99
TP, 7" x 10"

While Angel is stateside, Faith and Fred are tasked with investigating missing students from a local prep school. Attaining gainful employment at St. Cuthbert’s Preparatory School, the girls discover a growing teenage-vampire population. Angel returns to London in the midst of the vampire threat—but he hasn’t returned alone, and he, Faith, and Fred suddenly have double the trouble! Collects Angel & Faith Season 10 #16–#20.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:18 AM
Addicted Fan

First review for next week's Buffy # 20.Very spoilery

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #20 - Wicked Horror : Wicked Horror

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #20

October 15, 2015By Nat Brehmer

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 #20 is by and large devoted to Buffy and Spike getting over a very large element of their shared past that has affected and even hindered aspects of their current romantic relationship. The incident, of course, is Spike’s attempted rape of Buffy near the end of the show’s sixth season. Now, this has been addressed previously in season ten when the gang returned to Sunnydale, which brought back old memories for everyone. Spike gave a very heartfelt apology for his pre-soul behavior and that event in particular. Since then, it’s come up a couple more times and he’s kept apologizing.

This issue is almost devoted to it, which had me rolling my eyes, not because it’s not an important topic but because it’s something that has come up so often already. Once the issue got rolling, however, I immediately locked into what they were trying to do with it. I got why it was coming up again and why it was coming up now. Issue #20 is not so much about what happened as it is about how Buffy and Spike have respectively chosen to deal with it. Everything is examined, all the cards have been left on the table.

There is of course a main storyline as well, but like the best classic Buffy stories it taps into the overall theme of the story in a not so subtle way. More than many of the comics in the past, I find myself actually needing to call this one an episode. Of the season 10 standalone issues that have been devoted primarily to the Buffy/Spike relationship—and there have been more than a few—this is the best.

Hopefully, this will remind everyone of why they love Buffy as a character in the first place. It certainly reminded me. She spends the bulk of the issue dealing with a survivor and respecting everything that woman has gone through, thinking about her own experiences and how to put the past behind her at the same time. The potential for Buffy and Spike’s relationship beyond their shared past lies in communication, as Buffy demonstrates here.

He’s been doing nothing but apologizing for it, which at a certain point is not what she needs. So she tells him exactly what she needs from him, exactly how she feels about things and what they need to do in order to move on. And Spike hears every word of it, always being the one to accommodate whatever needs she has. The moment between them at the end is maybe the warmest and most genuine between the two of them out of this entire season.

They aren’t the only characters in the issue, of course. Xander, Giles and Dowling take care of an exorcism while Dowling’s usual consultant—Spike—is busy. The reveal at the beginning that Anya’s ghost is an actual manifestation and not simply a figment of Xander’s imagination only leads to a huge bomb drop that will make things much more problematic for Xander—and probably everyone else, too—moving forward.

All in all, Buffy the Vampire Slayer #20 is definitely worth checking out. It’s one of the best issues of the entire season and certainly makes me excited at the prospect of what’s still to come.

WICKED RATING: 8 Stars (8 / 10)
Old 10-21-2015, 09:46 AM
Addicted Fan

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #20 | Geeked Out Nation

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #20

by Jideobi Odunze

Back to work for Buffy and the gang in this new story arc. They dealt with Archaeus, Buffy and Dawn dealt with personal issues that needed to be addressed one last time, and Giles as well considering being a child again is no easy task despite the second chance at life.

Now this issue does come as a surprise when it is almost forgotten that Anya’s is still tied to Xander. Pretty much the only loose threat that had been on and off approached throughout season 10. Better now than never to address the problem that is her current situation as it would have been a bit more awkward later on realizing that this was a thing that continued to go unnoticed. In Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #20, Xander and Giles work on an exorcism that stirs up some questions about Ghost Anya.

Not to say that this brought a conclusion to that, but just the fact that Anya’s presence is still a thing means that there will be more to look forward to as this mystery progresses. It’s the focus that Xander needs without the pity party he throws himself over losing Dawn.

Buffy and Spike’s case is a memorable story that makes this issue a must read for season 10. Gage and Levens do an excellent job capturing this sensitive topic which is of course made unique to what Buffy and Spike are used to handling. There are many ways in which Buffy season 10 is respectable for the lessons they teach about things we relate to, though this right here stands above all of that. Especially when it comes to a woman being compelled into something sensual which she did not willingly consent to. When this topic has made so many butt heads over the rights and wrongs of approaching this, Gage does so with a breath of fresh air. A case Buffy needs to tackle because she still has to deal with those feelings she can share from back when Spike was evil. Another hurdle as well for their relationship with Buffy conflicted over those feelings.

This incubus demon is a great villain not for his threat, but for what he represents. What he stands for that needed to be addressed and broken down. The things Jean says about guys like the incubus and what true strength means in the face of them is empowering. These are the things any person needs to hear when they are a victim, and need to be reminded that they can pick themselves up.

This issue of Buffy brings us back to Megan Levens on art. Her art style worked perfectly for this issue because she is very good at bringing forth those emotions that match the tone of the story. To see those moments of vulnerability surface for Buffy when having to confront memories of Spike trying to force himself on her. The pain of Jean as she went through feeling like the victim and somehow still comes off a the strongest character. Xander as well put into the same situation where he doesn’t know how to deal with those things in his life he can’t fix between his relationship with Dawn and helping Anya’s ghost move on. That aside it was nice to see Anya again. A little weird to see her as perky as she was about fighting supernatural forces considering the current circumstances, though something you overlook if not only because the twist to her apparent presence.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #20 aside from that one question about Anya is perfect for everything else. The twist about Anya’s ghost, the subject of rape, and the emotional weight of it all which makes season 10 so beautifully written.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:49 AM
Addicted Fan

Comic Book Reviews for October 21, 2015 - IGN - Page 3

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #20

Written by Christos Gage | Drawn by Megan Levens

This issue of Buffy is the perfect example of what the TV show used to do so well – it tells a story about life in general then makes a monster metaphor for those problems. This installment concerns issues of victimhood and consent. The story is well told and never too on the nose. It even uses the foundation to bring up a story from the Buffy TV show that hasn’t been addressed in a long time, and addresses it in a nuanced way. The guest artist is Megan Levens, and she’s a perfect fit for the book. She’s slightly more cartoony than previous artists, but that’s not a bad thing and she gets down the look for all the core characters. This season is having lots of success with one-off stories. –Levi

Final Score

Old 10-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview Pages for Angel & Faith # 20.

EXCLUSIVE Preview: ANGEL & FAITH SEASON 10 #20 | 13th Dimension, Comics, Creators, Culture

Posted By Dan Greenfield on Oct 23, 2015 | 0 comments

The next Buffyverse entry comes to you 11/4 from writer Victor Gischler, artist Will Conrad, colorist Michelle Madsen — and Dark Horse.

PLUS: A Scott Fischer cover and a Mike Norton variant

Official blurb time: Angel, Faith and Fred have only just begun to delve into the plans that Drusilla and the Big Bad Archaeus have made for London’s Magic Town. With Nadira in danger and so many unknowns—including how to fight against this demon that is literally a part of Angel, Drusilla, and Spike—the team has to quickly gain distance on a long road . . .

Closed Thread   Post New Thread