Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Leyki already has a advanced review for this week's Buffy # 15.

https://leykimayri.wordpress.com/201...ed-conclusion/
comic fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Some Buffy # 15 reviews.I won't have my copy until the end of the week.

Review – Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #15 (Dark Horse) | BIG COMIC PAGE

Review – Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #15 (Dark Horse)

Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
Writer: Christos Gage
Artist: Rebekah Isaacs
Release Date: 20th May, 2015

With the conclusion of the “Relationship Status: Complicated” arc, writer Christos Gage throws pretty much everything but the kitchen sink at this issue. There’s flashbacks, bad guys throwing out tropes, like drunks at the end of the night (violently), amazing sound effects like “slikt”, a surprise finish, and an even more surprising cameo/cliffhanger (spoilers, read our interview with Gage to find out who!)

Once again, the style of the book is absolutely nailed. From the way characters are depicted and the way they “speak”, this is very much the Buffy I remember from back in the day. The way Gage manages to snap Spike out of being a puppet fell a bit flat for me though, as it seemed, if anything, too easy? That said, you have to realise how much Spike has been through over the years and in that respect, it makes sense that he wouldn’t want to be controlled by anyone else, let alone hurt someone he’s actually grown to care for in the way he does for Buffy. The backup cast are also well-utilised, and after they’ve been a part of the series for this long, its plain to see that every one of them is important in their own way without it coming across as cheap.

It’s been widely discussed, but Rebekah Isaacs has been slaying it on this book, from the way she makes characters “act”, to the motion shown on the page and the fact that everything looks so damn natural. Is it wrong that I think the style of the characters are amazing? I realise it’s probably not something I should notice, but they all look good.

Enough about fashion choices though. Gage and Isaacs have smashed it on this arc and the season is really hitting its stride now, leading towards a big crossover and – hopefully – intertwining arcs. This is shaping up to be one of the best seasons of Buffy yet.

P.S. Best use of the word “wanker” in a book this year so far.

Rating: 4/5.

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #15 | Geeked Out Nation

Comic Book Review: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #15

by Jideobi Odunze

With how the last issue of Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 ended, you had to be itching to see just what would happen with Spike going into this next issue. We’ve seen so much development and for the better when it comes to this cast of characters. So it’s easy to sit there in anticipation or fear for that one moment that could take any one of these characters a step back. Though that’s to say if this was handled by any other creative team. This team however goes into every issue with the intent of delivering on growth that makes us invest with those like Spike and Buffy. That was a very emotional look through Spike’s mind which could drive any with a sensitive heart to tears.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #15 is as fun as things can get when at the edge of your seat about the fate of Spike. Could he really bite Buffy? That is the big question and focus of this issue. Even though in your heart you knew how things would end, it does not stop this issue from challenging what you think could have happened. These aren’t the same demons that Buffy and the team have encountered before. They’ve stared down gods, though gods can be predictable. These new foes like Archaeus come with their own unique brand of evil that catches you off guard. You would have thought that this was another vampire trying to control Spike, yet Archaeus turned out to be a lot more than just about control. He is out to create chaos and wields the kind of power to take on the whole team at once.

What you can’t overlook is the conclusion to the relationship between Xander and Dawn. It was some of the lighter moments of season 10, though you could always feel that this could only go so far before one of the two addressed the reality of their situation. Another example of personal growth that separates this part of their lives from everything else that has come before.

Action, emotion, and some unique clothing styles, this issue sets out to stand out like most others have in season 10. From the very first page you see those distinguishing effects. The art team for this title do a solid job of making this series one that takes itself seriously, and yet still finds the room to lighten things up a bit. Not only this but being able to handle a lot going on at the same time keeps your eyes engaged with every flip of the page. That is something we needed to see when this was a big fight between the team and Archaeus. All of them at this stage able to handle their own and wielding a weapon they are most comfortable with at this point. With that said, the design of Archeaus is very appealing. Nothing you have seen before and much detail goes into making everything abnormal about him pop out.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #15 is a set up for something bigger that can only happen when Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel & Faith crossover yet again. There’s a lot to look forward to when both worlds have a lot to address before confronting Archaeus.

REVIEW Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 ♯15 | Multiverse

REVIEW Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 ♯15

Published May 17, 2015 | By Steve Hooker

Look how far Buffy has come since her TV days: Willow can fly and wield power bolts, Giles is a child and, oh, Spike is a bad guy again. Or rather, the lord of Hell, Archaeus, controls him. But may be, the $64,000 dollar question this time round is: Will love save him? Yet, more importantly, do we still care enough? And that seems like a very priceless question to ask here. Fans will like Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 No. 15, because it revolves around Buffy and little ole Giles. But compared to the earlier comic book entries, this series seems to be losing its way and this feels like a miss-step in the wrong direction. There’s nothing fresh here, we’ve seen it all before. The mini-Giles plotline comes across like a gimmick (unlike the earlier giant Dawn storyline which rose above it—pun intended—and had interest and, oh, bite). The script and art fall short of the heady days of Joss Whedon and Georges Jeanty, but at least Christos Gage continues the clever banter Buffy stories excel in. Xander says he’s not in a hurry to date because “they always turn out to be giant bugs or fish ladies of something.” And Spike’s first words to Angel are “Hello, wanker.” A word American society seems to be embracing more and then these days; who says there is no cultural exchange between our two great nations? The best you can say about Rebakah Isaacs art is that it’s serviceable, gets the reader from A to Z fair enough, but it’s also unattractive and fails to make a big enough impression; likewise Jackson’s coloring which looks blurry around the edges and rushed. For many readers the negatives will not matter. To them, it would seem, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is like pizza, even when it’s not great, half-baked, missing a topping or three, and nowhere near as warm as it could be, it’s still, in the bitter end, pizza.

Reviewer: Joe Lovece Reviews Editor: Steve Hooker
Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Addicted Fan

Comic Book Reviews for May 20, 2015 - IGN

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 #15

Written by Christos Gage | Drawn by Rebekah Isaacs

Buffy Season 10 has been doing a good job of recapturing some of the intimacy of the television show that was largely lost early on in the comic. “Unlimited budget” in the comic book format is one thing, but the Buffy series has always excelled most with its quieter moments. There are plenty of those in here that all pay off in satisfying ways. Christos Gage writes these character moments nimbly, fully embracing the soap opera that the series can be. But the biggest kudos goes to artist Rebekah Isaacs and colorist Dan Jackson. They’ve built upon the “recognizable but not distractingly photo realistic” approach Georges Jeanty originally took with the book years ago, and have taken things a step further. The characters are still recognizable, but the art team has made the cast their own in a bold way. The aforementioned “quiet moments” occasionally spill over into melodrama and the issue’s battle ends a bit abruptly, but the series is on another upswing with this arc. -Levi

Final Score:

Old 05-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Angel & Faith # 15.

Preview: Angel & Faith Season 10 #15 - Comic Book Resources

EXCL. PREVIEW: Get Lucky with Dark Horse Comics' "Angel & Faith Season 10" #15

Fred is back from the dead in this exclusive preview of Kel McDonald & Will Conrad's "Angel & Faith Season 10" #15 from Dark Horse!

Taking a break from the stress of reality in London, Angel and Fred hop on a ferry to Angel’s homeland! Though both were hoping for a leisurely holiday, something is rotten in the Emerald Isle. Angel can’t resist helping the helpless—but will that be the best thing for Fred . . . and Illyria?

• Guest writer Kel McDonald (Misfits of Avalon)!

• Fan-favorite character Fred Burkle is alive—and wreaking havoc in Angel & Faith!

Old 05-26-2015, 04:48 AM
Addicted Fan

Here are my few brief thoughts about Buffy #15,Part II of "Relationship Status:Complicated."

I actually got the issue on Friday but had limited computer time during the holiday weekend and so I had to wait until today to post a few thoughts.Overall thoughts are very mixed.I liked the Xander and Dawn stuff and think the Archaeus plot is interesting.But that's sort of it.Oh and I thought the little phone exchange between Spike and Angel was funny.But yeah that's really it for me.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 16.

Teaming Up With The Ex - Preview Buffy Season 10, #16 - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

Teaming Up With The Ex - Preview Buffy Season 10, #16

Posted May 27, 2015 by by Hannah Means Shannon

On June 17th, the new issue of Buffy Season 10 arrives with #16, and this time, whelp, the awkwardness is palpable with Buffy and Angel teaming up again. However, the threat is extreme enough to merit the failed hug/handshakes that will arise.

Written by Christos Gage, with art by Rebekah Isaacs, and cover art by Steve Morris, this issue is described thus:

After discovering that the powerful demon Archaeus has deep connections to both Spike and Angel, Buffy invites her former beau for a visit. Things are awkward, and everyone is behaving just a little juvenile-but in order to beat the threat Archaeus brings, the team is going to have to overcome the past.

And here’s our preview of Angel and Buffy having no idea how to act around each other:

Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for sharing.
Hope there will be great Buffy/Angel scenes.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Addicted Fan

I got Angel & Faith # 15 over the weekend.I liked the issue but do agree with others that it was basically filler and setup for the crossover.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:36 AM
Addicted Fan

Season 10 September 2015 solicitations.

New "Colder," "Mirror's Edge" Feature in Dark Horse Comics' September 2015 Solicitations - Comic Book Resources

Angel & Faith Season 10 #18

Victor Gischler (W), Cliff Richards (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Mike Norton and Mark Englert (Variant cover)

On sale Sept 2
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

Faith and Drusilla go head to head!
• An all-Faith, all-Fred vampire adventure!
"I fall in love with these characters every time a new issue comes out, and this issue had me gushing. Highest possible recommendation." —SciFiPulse

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #19

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Sept 23
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

With a little help from Willow, Giles is given a second chance at adulthood, and the demon scourge smells weakness. Meanwhile, Buffy and Dawn are reunited with their neglectful father, Hank Summers.

• The crossover event of the season: Big meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 Library Edition Volume 3 HC

Joss Whedon (W), Andrew Chambliss (W), Jane Espenson (W), Georges Jeanty (P), Karl Moline (P), Phil Noto (P), Andy Owens (I), Dexter Vines (I), Karl Story (I), Michelle Madsen (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Nov 11
FC, 304 pages
$29.99
HC, 8" x 12 3/16"

Buffy, Xander, and Willow confront new enemies—a superbeing bent on revenge, a Slayer gone rogue, and the ancient god who created vampires—in a battle that will change the shape of the world. Buffy, with a little help from her friends, rediscovers what it truly means to be a Slayer. Collects Buffy Season 9 Volumes 4 and 5.
• Expanded sketchbook and deluxe oversized format.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Angel & Faith # 16.

Preview: Angel & Faith Season 10 #16 - Comic Book Resources

EXCL. PREVIEW: Fred Helps with "Angel & Faith's" Teenaged Vampire Problem

Victor Gischler and Cliff Richards team Fred with Faith to tackle a problem with pubescent vampires.

While Angel is stateside, Faith is suddenly the go-to adviser for London’s Magic Town police detective. She enlists Fred to help scope out a situation, and the girls stumble onto some teenage vampires at Cuthbert Prep. Who better to delve further into the situation—from the inside—than a vampire slayer?

*An all-Faith, all-Fred vampire adventure!

ETA

First advanced review for Buffy # 16.

http://www.soundonsight.org/buffy-se...love-triangle/

'Buffy Season Ten’ #16 resurrects a famous love triangle

Posted on June 15, 2015By Logan Dalton

Buffy Season Ten #16
Written by Christos Gage
Art by Rebekah Isaacs
Colors by Dan Jackson
Published by Dark Horse Comics

One of the most important questions asked by anyone in the Buffyverse fandom is who you want Buffy to end up with: Angel or Spike? (Bangel or Spuffy if you’re truly a hardcore shipper.) Buffy’s relationship with both of these ensouled vampires was arguably one of the most important parts of the TV show as she had a close physical and emotional connection with both characters. Buffy Season Ten #16 comments on this relationship while also including a team up filled with slip ups and comic pratfalls between Buffy, Spike, and Angel against one of the demon goons of this season’s Big Bad, Archaeus. Archaeus is a demon lord, who has been seeding both Angel and Spike’s dreams with human killings that they may or may not have done. These shared dreams (and vampire bloodline) between Angel and Spike leads to this team up and the first chapter of the “Old Demons” crossover between Buffy and Angel.

Writer Christos Gage ensures that the Buffy/Angel crossover in Buffy Season Ten #16 fits in the plot while also exploring the emotional effect of Angel showing up in the early stages of Buffy and Spike’s fragile dating relationship. Artist Rebekah Isaacs balances making the characters look like the TV show (with a little extra age on them, except for Xander for some reason) with giving them detailed reaction shots that are mostly humorous. Gage channels the snark and awkwardly hilarious banter between Angel and Spike in Angel Season 5 while adding a darker tinge because of some of the events of the comics series, like Angel killing Giles in Buffy Season Eight.

Thankfully, Gage doesn’t linger on the melodrama and even uses Spike’s snark masterfully to defuse a long monologue about Xander’s anger issues and therapy visits. He utilizes the relationship between Buffy, Angel, and Spike in an extended action sequence between them and one of Archaeus’ minions, who was given a disgusting, neon green finish from colorist Dan Jackson. Their struggles with the demon shows how badly they need to sit down, talk, and get everything out in the open rather than teaming up against a powerful demon lord and his army.

Rebekah Isaacs uses characters’ positions in a panel to create interpersonal conflict. She shows Angel and Spike in a charging, action pose when Angel finds out Buffy and him are dating before pulling back to show Buffy try to play mediator. The silent (with a word or two of dialogue at the most) Angel reaction panels juxtaposed with a red background from Dan Jackson do a nice job by themselves to show Angel’s petulant, jealous behavior as he spent an entire season resurrecting Giles and atoning for his actions, but Buffy chose to be with Spike. This might sound soapy, but Gage and Isaacs continue to show Angel’s battle for redemption is ongoing and not particularly reward filled. The art isn’t perfect with Buffy’s hair occasionally changing colors and an early scene where it’s difficult to see if Buffy is eavesdropping on a private conversation. However, Isaacs and Jackson make sure that both the conversations and fighting against projectile hurling demons flow smoothly and have an equal share of tension.

Buffy Season Ten #16 is a successful start to what will probably be the climactic storyline of the Season Ten Buffyverse with its character driven storytelling in both art and writing with splashes of action. Gage uses the pre-existing emotional connections between important characters like Buffy, Angel, and Spike to correspond with the raised stakes in their fight against the Big Bad, Archaeus. Archaeus uses Angel and Spike’s pasts to tempt them to become soulless killers once again, and they must also confront their pasts with Buffy and each other in order to become effective allies to the Slayer and Scoobies. Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs effectively use both internal and external conflict along with one of the greatest fictional love triangles to kick off this mini-crossover in a way that will make fans smile and squee.

Last edited by comic fan; 06-15-2015 at 04:36 PM
Old 06-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Second Buffy # 16 review.

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #16 : Wicked Horror

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #16

June 16, 2015By Nat Brehmer

The wait is over. In Buffy the Vampire Slayer #16, Angel and Buffy have been reunited, seeing each other for the first time since the end of season eight, and things between them are expectedly awkward. The last time she saw him, he killed her mentor. He made all the moves to make up for that and brought Giles back to life, but that doesn’t undo what he did. And now there’s the fact that Buffy is in a relationship with Spike. Luckily, the entire issue isn’t spent dealing with the awkwardness between the three of them. In fact, instead of roundabout exposition, I was really impressed to see that most of the odd dynamic between Buffy, Angel and Spike was told through the action and not through words.

And this is definitely an action-heavy issue. Buffy and the gang find their apartment under siege from Archaeus’ forces before they can even go out looking for a fight. It’s some of the most impressive action of this season, if only because it really feels like the TV show. Even when the character moments feel like a natural extension of the show, the action really does. This feels like a change for the better in some ways. It might be because, given that the scene is set in an apartment building, it feels more constrained than the bigger action set pieces the comics have been going for lately. Which still have their place, to be sure.

The other characters get their time to shine as well, particularly Xander and Dawn, who are trying their best to be friends and shed all previous romantic connections. It’s a little awkward between them at the moment, but it does show promise for their relationship—however it is defined—moving forward.

Willow and Giles fall by the wayside slightly, but that’s mostly to do with them being at first too involved in the action sequence and then taken out of it when Willow gets poisoned. In general, though, I would like to see a bit more development with her character as we head toward the finale.

Still, the season is getting better and better. Everything is really coming together for these characters and the writing feels confident and natural at this point. The fact that most of them are somewhat happy is enough to make a reader nervous, though, because Joss Whedon is still at the helm of this whole thing. Who knows what could happen. I’d be shocked if Buffy’s relationship with Spike is on the same level at the end of the season as it is right now. But it would be nice for them to have their day in the sun as a happy couple. They’ve both earned it.

It’s nice to see Angel back with the Buffy crowd as well. People are uneasy around him, as they should be, and he definitely feels out of place. He’ll probably only be around for another issue or two, but I look forward to seeing his interactions with the rest of the gang in that time.

This was a very solid issue overall in a comic that is currently getting better and better.

7 Stars (7 / 10)
Old 06-17-2015, 01:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the news.

After 300 posts we can start a new thread
I can open it.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteRose (View Post)
Thanks for the news.

After 300 posts we can start a new thread
I can open it.
Cool.

I will just add this here for now until you do.

Jim Gibbons is the new Buffy editor replacing Sierra Hahn(who replaced Scott Allie).

https://twitter.com/EnemyOfPeanuts/s...62479783284736
Old 06-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Addicted Fan

Two reviews of Buffy # 16.

Buffy Season 10 Issue #16: Old Demons Part One Review

Buffy Season 10 Issue #16: Old Demons Part One Review

Posted by Kory Cerjak
June 17, 2015

Angel’s back and it’s almost like season two or three again.

Creative Staff:
Script: Christos Cage
Art: Rebekah Isaacs
Colors: Dan Jackson
Letters: Richard Starkings and Jimmy Betancourt

What They Say:
“Old Demons Part One”

Just as Buffy and the gang were wading through their individual breakups and hookups, a new Big Bad named Archaeus came to light, and he’s someone they can’t fight alone. So, however awkward it may be—now that Buffy and Spike are officially an item—Buffy’s ex, Angel, has been called in to help.

Content: (please note that content portions of a review may contain spoilers):
There’s an old kid in town and his name is Angel—née Angelus (sort of). Old flame and current flame finally meet face to face as they are, Buffy’s ex and Buffy’s boyfriend.

It didn’t turn out well—at least not at first. Spike’s afraid that Buffy’s going to go running back to Angel like she always does, but Buffy’s someone different now. She’s older and wiser now and she’s actively dating someone who’s been pining after her for five seasons. Former evil incarnate turned vampire with a soul—just like Angelus to Angel—and Buffy’s fallen for him.

And her line is very indicative of Buffy, how she’s always been. Spike’s own words echo, but it’s Buffy’s that resonate. Buffy is her own and she chooses who and what she wants to do. She always has, she always will.

It took fighting a Morituri Demon, a suicide mission demon that kills all it can before dying itself, to “shake off their rust.” Angel didn’t just come here to see Buffy again or even expecting what…usually happens…when the two meet back up. Angel has other stuff going on in Magic Town and Buffy has her hands full in San Francisco. Not to mention it wouldn’t really be good for either to start dating or having sex…

There are bigger and stronger things out there to deal with anyway. Archaeus exists and is threatening their existence and probably the humanity of too many people. Past differences and current loves aside, it’s time to get the Scooby Gang back together and fight together…or die together.

In Summary:
This issue was a lot of reinforcing what used to be. This is how Buffy was back in season three—rife with sexual tension, though now it’s of a different sort. And there’s a contrast here to what used to be. But things are different now. It’s been (presumably?) seven years since then and A LOT of things have changed since then—namely the restart of the universe and the rewriting of most of the rules of magic. The only important thing is that Archaeus gets defeated in the end, I guess…

Content Grade: B+

Comic Book Reviews for June 17, 2015 - IGN

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 #17

Written by Christos Gage | Drawn by Rebekah Isaacs

Buffy Season 10 has taken the opportunity to move the story and relationships along in good ways. Issue #16 specifically, though, just lives in the past. When the issue isn’t referencing one prior event, it’s referencing another. When it isn’t doing either of those things, it’s recreating past Buff/Spike/Angel triangle scenarios without having anything new to add. This story reads like the comic book version of a clip show, reminding of us where we are and where we have been for years, as the big showdown is approaching in future issues. Dialogue is clunky, with the same goal of referencing past issues and episodes. If you’re already caught up on Buffy, you can skip this issue entirely. -Levi

Final Score:

Old 06-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

New thread: http://www.fanforum.com/f11/buffy-co.../#post82051265
Reply   Post New Thread