Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Master Fan

Hey guys, just watched Wednesdays eppie last night (ducking large objects being thrown at my head )...but I thought it was fantastic. I have to admit I was fooled up until Angel went to the werewolf girl (sorry can't recall her name right now) and I actually felt sorry for Illyria getting her *ss kicked.

One thing I wanted to say about this show in general. I realized while watching this episode that I'm going to miss this show somethin' fierce. This show really deserved one more year to give it a proper send off...alas....it's not going to happen so no need for me to start crying over it now. (I'll do that next week while I'm watching the series finale)

I also realized how much I missed the female balance this year when Angel explained what he had been doing by getting into the black thorn circle...a delicious and wonderful it was to see all that manliness standing around brooding...I missed the female influence of Cordy and Fred....well that's all I got....see ya next week.
Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs. Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes. Being vexed, a sea nourished with lovers' tears. What is it else? A madness most discreet, a choking gall and a preserving sweet. - William Shakespeare...
Darbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Website Manager

Spike: "Anyhow, I thought Wesley was giving you a primer on all things human."
Illyria: "He and I are no longer have intercourse."
Spike: "Yeah, Ah, You're what, what.
Illyria: "He has ceased communication with me."
Spike: "Oh, Oh, communi..."

I rewatched this part of the episode to get this quote as close as I could. Just thought I'd bring this over to this thread.
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

I didn't mind the whole Angel/Nina thing. Yeah, I know I am a minority here.

I just thought it was time that Angel had some kind of actual relationship on this show. Plus, I like Nina.

I think that when a somewhat skeptical Angel told Nina, he would come back to her, it was more about him possibly not surviving the battle. When he later told the others of their likely deaths, it just reinforces the reason for his previous skepticism towards coming back for Nina.

However, I don't think he loves her. I think he is still interested in continuing the relationship and cares about her, but is not in love with her yet.

www.savingangel.org
dayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Addicted Fan

if Wes won't have intercourse with her, I'll do it then! if ya know what i mean.
JediBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

So, Drogan is dead? He said he had eternal youth, but that doesn't stop him from dying?

I thought this ep was AMAZING especially the acting and the writing. It made me feel that at times that angel perhaps was really going evil, even though I knew that was impossible.
Poor Illyria. I felt so bad for her.

But the part with her and Drogan playing Crash Bandicoot, man that was hilarious!

Well, I know I don't know you and you're probably not what you seem
Aw, but I'd sure like to find out
So why don't you climb down off that movie screen?

Dan Fan No. 95
Spike's Kitten No. 95
L u x i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by AlexEvans .

It was fantastic to see Nina again. Guess she won't be around for the next ep tho. I think Angel was lying that he'd come for her. He doesn't care for her enough, not like he loved Buffy. Too much of their relationship was based on the shared supernatural elements of their lives. But hopefully they'll stay friends. Nina shouldn't have any trouble finding someone else to be romantic with.
I do think Angel was lying about going to find Nina afterwards but it had nothing to do with Buffy. It had to do with the fact that he knew his plan.. he knew that probably none of them would survive, and that he would probably never see her again. I think he cares for Nina.. he cared enough to tell her about Buffy, cared enough about her to protect her family even at a time when he was supposed to be acting corrupted, and he did make love to her. If we would have had a season 6 I think we would have seen the relationship develope and actually I would have liked that because I think its time for Angel to move on and enjoy his time now. And I actually saw the chemistry this time.

Power Play was one of the best episodes this season.

The Illyria/Spike scenes: Were very funny. The funny mix up about intercourse and then of course "Crash Bandicoot?". And the wonderful Spangel canon: "Angel and I were never intimate.. well expect that one time." I also loved that they showed Spike understanding Illyria's plight and having him reach out to her in a way. And him getting why Wes doesn't look or speak to Illyria.

DB was amazing in this episode... he sold me on corrupted Angel and sold me even more with his speech at the end about taking a last shining stand.

Great episode!
Dazzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dazzling
I do think Angel was lying about going to find Nina afterwards but it had nothing to do with Buffy. It had to do with the fact that he knew his plan.. he knew that probably none of them would survive, and that he would probably never see her again. I think he cares for Nina.. he cared enough to tell her about Buffy, cared enough about her to protect her family even at a time when he was supposed to be acting corrupted, and he did make love to her. If we would have had a season 6 I think we would have seen the relationship develope and actually I would have liked that because I think its time for Angel to move on and enjoy his time now. And I actually saw the chemistry this time.

Power Play was one of the best episodes this season.

The Illyria/Spike scenes: Were very funny. The funny mix up about intercourse and then of course "Crash Bandicoot?". And the wonderful Spangel canon: "Angel and I were never intimate.. well expect that one time." I also loved that they showed Spike understanding Illyria's plight and having him reach out to her in a way. And him getting why Wes doesn't look or speak to Illyria.

DB was amazing in this episode... he sold me on corrupted Angel and sold me even more with his speech at the end about taking a last shining stand.

Great episode!
I agree on all points. Thank God we got our show back in time for the end, after that abortion they aired the previous week. The humor in this ep is what I expect from this show, not the Three Stooges crap we saw in that other thing.

I don't get why so many people have a problem with Angel/Nina. I certainly don't. The opening scene was very effective, they seemed very comfortable together. Buffy didn't sit around for the last 4 years of BtVS with "Property of Angel" branded on her butt, so I don't see why people think it's so wrong for Angel to have a new girlfriend.

The final scene sets up the finale brilliantly. When Angel revealed that he'd gotten the vision from Cordelia, I shouted "Yes!" - great, great touch.

Drogyn and Illyria playing Spike's videogame - classic. And Illyria and Spike patrolling - how great was that?

I do wish they'd done something more substantial with Lindsey this season. I was so excited when he came back, yet they've done so very little with him.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

Insulted

I just realized that Charmed has a two hour season finale tonight, yet ANGEL doesn't get any more than its usual hour for the series finale on Wednesday. Just pour salt into my wounds, why don't they? Damn you, WB!
Shasta Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

POWER PLAY
The Good;
Drogan and Illyria play Crash Bandicoot. Angel reveals his devious side and Illyria starts to embrace her humanity.
The Bad;
When Angel arrives at WR&H's offices it's night but when he walks into his office it's day. Angel threatens Lorne with a neck hold but we know Lorne can be decapitated and survive? But maybe that's the point?
Best line;
Lindsey; "They're a secret socitey"
Gunn; "Never heard of them"
Lindsey; "That's because they're SECRET!"
Jeez, how did they get away with that?
Drogan tortured and killed is horrible. Also nasty to see Marcus pounding Illyria.
Apocalypses: 5
Angel Cliches
Subverting the Hollywood cliche; Angel kills Drogan!
In disguise; 8
DB/JM get's his shirt off; 20
Cheap Angel; 8
Fang Gang in bondage:
Cordy: 5
Angel: 15
Wes: 8
Gunn; 8
Lorne; 6
Fred; 5
Spike; 6

Fang gang knocked out:
Cordy: 15
Angel: 20
Wes: 10
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 4
Lorne; 8
Groo; 1
Connor; 1
Faith; 1
Fred; 7
Spike; 5
Kills; Illyria kills the demon, Angel kills Drogan
Cordy: 5 vamps, 3½ demons
Angel; 48 vamps, 72 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 13 humans, one werewolf and one cyborg
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 16 demons+5 vamps, 5 zombies, 4 humans, 2 cyborgs
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 11 vamps+ 15 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.
Groo; 1 demon
Fred; 3 vamps+ 14 demons, 5 zombies
Connor; 16 vamps, 5 zombies, 4 demons, Jasmine
Spike; 21 vamps, 12 demons+1 human+one parasite
Fang Gang go evil: we almost think Angel does
Cordy: 3
Angel: 3
Gunn; 1
Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang;
Cordy: 4
Angel: 12
Fred; 3
Wes; 1
Gunn; 2
Connor; 1
Lorne; 1

Characters killed: 4 civilians plus Drogan
Recurring characters killed; Drogan
Total number of Angel Investigations; 5, Illyria goes hunting with Spike, starting to become one of the gang
Angel, Gunn, Lorne, Wes, Spike

Angel Investigations shot:
Angel: 15
Wes; 2
Spike; 1
Packing heat; Wes confronts Angel with a shotgun but Angel takes it off him
Wes; 14
Doyle; 1
Angel; 5
Gunn; 3
Fred; 5
Notches on the Scooby bedpost; Angel beds Nina, possibly the healthiest relationship he ever actually has?
Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly the Beast
Angel: 7; Buffy, Darla, The Transcending Furies, Eve, Nina
Wes; 3 definite; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 2 possible, Justine, Fred
Gunn; 2 Fred and Gwen.
Fred; 1 Gunn, 1 possible Wes
Groo; 1Cordy
Spike; 3-Buffy, Anya, Harmony

Kinky dinky:
Nina rumages in her bedside drawer for her stake. She finds something similar in shape and size but declares 'That's not a stake'? (does it take batteries, perhaps?). She refers to Angel's Rome friend and worries he was thinking of her (another petite blonde with supernatural abilities). Angel has obviously rocked her world to judge by her remarks, she agrees with the Furies. Oddly she suggests that Angel makes love on the beach 'by himself'? Illyria states that she and Wes are no longer having intercourse which Spike misunderstands.
Captain Subtext;
Spike empathises with Illyria and they develop quite a nice relationship so late in the day. Is the demonic female senator aiming to be president in 2008 a parody of Hilary Clinton? Angel refers to him and Spike being intimate once but he may be referring to the events of 'Just Rewards'. Spike refers to frat boys paddling each other's behinds to prove their manhood.
Know the face, different character; 7
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Drogan tortures the demon assassin whilst Angel sacrifices him for the greater good. Angel says that Lorne was amoral in his running of Caritas, he has a point. The gang want to torture Lindsey again but don't have to.
Buffy characters on Angel; 17
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony. POSSIBLY The First Evil, Andrew.
What the fanficcers thought; .

Missing scenes;

Questions and observations;
Stacey Travis who plays the Senator was in a great old low budget Brit sci-fi movie called Hardware along with a pre-Hamburger Hill/The Practice Dylan McDermmott. Did Marcus Hainsley install her in that body? Drogan is apparently over 1000 years old and linked to the Watcher's Council. According to the comics Nina does stay in LA for the apocalypse. Nina says that Angel is a bad liar but as events prove he's actually brilliant. Illyria wishes she was still in the Deeper Well. Marcus and Drogan are old acquaintances. Flashback to CC the last we'll see of her. Did you notice the Senator's election rival is Joss Whedon?
The Circle of the Black Thorn very Halloween 6. They're an obvious convenient story twist to give the series some closure in just a few eps but it's a fascinating invention. Do they represent the executive board of the WB? Does Marcus buy Angel's act or is he always suspicious?
Marks out of 10; 7/10

And so it ends, a series that started for me 17 years ago when I went to see the original Buffy movie in the cinema ends tonight with the final ep of Angel."If we should meet again we shall drink deep and laugh long err this rememberance. And if we should not, then this is a parting well made"
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread