Old 05-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new info.
Emily
Barstool Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Addicted Fan

Info and Cover on Buffy # 8.

Buffy Will Be The Next 'Starting Point' For Dark Horse Following Abe Sapien And Captain Midnight - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

Buffy Will Be The Next ‘Starting Point’ For Dark Horse Following Abe Sapien And Captain Midnight

Posted on May 19, 2014

Dark Horse announced their ‘Starting Points‘ Program last March and revealed that the first two titles to be part of this incentive would be Abe Sapien and Captain Midnight. Why these titles, particularly? Because although Dark Horse has long been known as a company that produces a mad variety of miniseries for its favorite titles, Hellboy included, several of their comics lines are deeply embedded in long-form storytelling. Among those long-form titles, which have a structural unity based on maintaining continuity, are Abe Sapien, which will run for a total of 50 issues (and is currently at #13, so there’s plenty more Abe to come), and Captain Midnight, which has already been collected in its first trade and charges onwards, particularly with the accompanying Project Black Sky webseries tying into this flagship title.

There are many more ‘Starting Points’ comics to come, specific issues which Dark Horse are highlighting for readers as the perfect place to jump on to these continuity arcs if you’re new to a series. It’s a way of making sure that Dark Horse titles are all-inclusive, and they are developing that concern to the point that stories are being designed ahead as a way to provide entry points to their longer running series. But, of course, this is also good news for retailers since engaging new readers on long-running series will mean a bigger and more consistent fanbase coming into shops for these titles.

Abe Sapien #13 is arriving on June 11th, with a FOC today, with the following cover by Sebastian Fiumara, and you can see our early preview of the issue at Bleeding Cool here:

Captain Midnight #12 is arriving on June 25th, with a cover by Freddie Williams II and Jeremy Roberts as a second ‘Starting Point’:

And now Dark Horse have announced that the third ‘Starting Point’ issue and series will be Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10, #8. It makes perfect sense, of course, since Buffy is the definition of an invested long-form comic series for Dark Horse and part of their biggest fanbase. This is the the wraparound cover art for #8:

Now that is quite the Halloweeny cover with great poster-themed colors. It’s bound to catch the eye of new readers, especially with the seasonal appeal. And for those who already love Buffy? Well, they’d never miss out on this cover anyway.

Abe Sapien #13 is arriving June 11th from Dark Horse (APR140013), and Captain Midnight #12 on June 25th (APR140036).

ETA

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...lly-the-title/

The Whedon Threeway: A New Dark Horse #1 For $1 (Yes, That’s Really The Title)

Posted on May 19, 2014 by Hannah Means Shannon

Dark Horse’s “#1 for $1.00 Program” has been underway for some time and you might have seen some of those inexpensive first issues in your local shops. The idea behind the key first issues at a discount price is, of course, to give readers a chance to check out a new series and see if they’d like to continue with it, all in all giving more options for new reading for comics fans. But actually, there’s a rather intricate timing behind their releases which you might not have noticed. They’re being released at the same time as key trade editions specifically to clue readers in about a series before they make up their minds about whether to make that even bigger investment in a trade collection. Often that first issue is contained in the trade itself, so it’s a test-drive.

Clever retailers, picking up on this, invented a method of expanding on Dark Horse’s intentions in a way you have to give them credit for. Quite a few retailers began to add an extra incentive–they told customers that if they read the #1 for $1.00 and liked it, coming back for the trade, they could then get a $1.00 discount on the trade itself. Not a bad idea. So, for instance, this week, the #1 for $1.00 is Dragon Age, as pictured here:

And this #1 is being timed to the release of the Dragon Age Library Edition, Volume One, being released on June 4th. Previous #1 for $1.00 issues have included Itty Bitty Hellboy around the time of the hardback release of the collection, and B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth tied to the collection of the same title.

But things have gotten much bigger for the #1 for $1.00 program in a lateral move that there’s no way any fans were expecting. Dark Horse have announced that an upcoming #1 for $1.00 will actually include three titles in a jumbo issue for the same price, and it’s going to be Whedon themed, including the first issue of Buffy: Season 10, Angel & Faith, and Serenity: Leaves on the Wind. The title of this jumbo issue really is The Whedon Threeway. The art just came in for the cover of this book, by Georges Jeanty, designed and colored by Dave Nestelle, and we have it here:

There’s no easy way to explain the title except to tell a story that Dark Horse Editor-in-Chief Scott Allie has allowed out of the bag. Allie says the conversation with Joss Whedon that resulted in the title went like this:

We wanted a title that covered all of it, and so I went to Joss. He’s of course pretty busy right now, so we didn’t get to talk, but he did give me a great name. Today I sent him the cover with the title on it, and he replied:

Good god, you actually called it that.

Cool.

It is cool, isn’t it?

In fact, Whedon claimed he’d been only “joking” when he suggested the title, but when Allie sent him the finished cover art, there was no stopping a title like that.

I’ve also gotten a peek at what #1 for $1.00 tie-ins are coming up at Dark Horse, not yet formally announced, and I’ll share a few with you here: The Strain, Ghost, Axe Cop, and Brain Boy, among others. Wonder what titles those are going to have? People are going to have to outdo Whedon somehow…

Last edited by comic fan; 05-19-2014 at 04:41 PM
comic fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Addicted Fan

First advanced Buffy # 3 review.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #3 Review | Unleash The Fanboy

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #3 Review

By John McCubbin on Tuesday, May 20th, 2014

Will Dracula be able to help fight off these new vampires or will he bring more trouble for Buffy? Read on to find out.

The official description from Dark Horse:

Actor Nicholas Brendon joins the creative team as his character Xander acquires help from his old friend—um, master—Dracula. The new vampires are still a mystery, and unquestionably similar to Drac . . . Meanwhile, Buffy and Willow track down one of those new vampires as a study specimen!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 has been very intriguing to say the least as though it’s still to ascend to the level of awesomeness that Buffy deserves it’s proving to be a solid series. This issue just enhances this solidity as though the key story itself is developing at a slow-ish pace, the entertaining events of the issue more than made up.

Christos Gage is joined by Xander actor Nicholas Brendon for this script with the duo giving us the kind of dynamic tone that Buffy needs with the utilisation of the core characters being astounding. It was however his utilization of Dracula that impressed me most with his self obsessive ego bringing diversity to the issue. The duo also did a superb job of keeping the issue at a smooth pace as despite all the crazy things that were going on it still managed to keep a dynamic flow. To cap things off he also gives great twists and shocking turns having me hooked for the next issue.

Rebekah Isaacs continues to astound me with her spectacular art with it grabbing my attention more and more with each passing issue. The way that she gives us a fun yet punchy vibe really impresses me as though the subject matter may be aimed at a teenage/adult audience it still manages give a lighthearted feel. Added to this she also gives great depth through characterisation with the overall body language of the gang adding a lot to the overall dynamic. Dan Jackson as usual delivers amazingly with his vibrant and vivid colours, which helps add more liveliness to the sequences.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #3 is easily the best issue of the series so far and though there’s still room for improvement it’s starting to show strong promise. Highly recommended.

+ Dynamic script from the wonderful Gage and Brendon.
+ Punchy artwork that sets the perfect tone.
+ Dracula as devious as ever!
- Story still developing at a slightly slow pace.

I won't be able to get my copy until Thursday unfortunately so I'll have to rely on reviews and comments until then.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the updates!
Emily
Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Addicted Fan

Leyki's review of Buffy # 3 is up.

Review, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #03 (New Rules, Part 3) | Light_Watcher

ETA

Another Buffy # 3 review.

http://haveageekasm.com/comic-books/...pzYR+(Geekasms

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 10 #3 Review

I continue my look at Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 by giving you an advanced look at issue #3. This issue is written by both regular writer Christos Gage, but also by Nicholas Brendon who played Xander on the series. It’s appropriate that Brendon is involved on the writing of this issue because it is loaded with Xander. It is also full of laughs, to the point of being too much, but that is just my opinion. I love a good chuckle and a smart wise crack, but I don’t really want Buffy the comedy series. However, as just one issue in a whole, I’ll give it a pass.

We start off where issue #2 ended, with Xander and Dawn at the home of the vampire of all vampires, Dracula. They are seeking his help with the vampires that have shown up back home that have the same shape shifting ability as the Prince of Darkness. There’s lots of jokes, delivered mostly by Dracula, about orgies, twins and manservants. Once they get back to San Francisco, Dracula gets all grand standy, brings more of the funny, then there’s some killing.

Now, yes, this issue is heavy on the comedy, but there are some major plot points dropped too. We get more information about the Vampyr book, Xander and Dawn come to a realization and Buffy and Willow have a moment.

Buffy fans will have nothing to really complain about here as it is a pretty solid issue.

Writer:Christos Gage, Nicholas Brendon

Artist:Rebekah Isaacs

Coloristan Jackson

Cover Artist:Steve Morris

Last edited by comic fan; 05-20-2014 at 09:56 PM
Old 05-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the news.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #3 (Comics Review) | Shadowhawk's Shade

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #3 (Comics Review)

May 21

Posted by Abhinav Jain

Dark Horse Comics, undoubtedly the king of tie-in comics, might have lost the license for all future Star Wars titles, but the publisher has not that be an obstacle this year, for it launched several new titles in the first quarter of the year and two of these titles are fan-favourites coming back for another run, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 and Angel & Faith Season 10. The first two issues of Buffy, under the pen and pencil of Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs have been quite fascinating issues that have rekindled my interest in the Buffyverse and the series has quickly become one of absolute must-have titles each month.

Released today, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #3 picks up from where we were at the end of issue #2 and is the tale of Xander and Dawn bringing Count Dracula back to the United States for his help in countering all the new (and powerful) vampires who seem to be everywhere these days. There is a hell of a lot of humour in the title this month, largely because of Xander and Dracula’s interaction, and I loved every moment of it. Nicholas Brendon, who played Xander on the show itself, joins Christos Gage on the writing this month while Rebekah and Dan are still on as artists, and all of them turn out another great issue.

Just as with the previous two issues, Steve Morris’ cover for #3 is absolutely stunning. Featuring Buffy and Count Dracula running out of a book (a plot device that becomes apparent later on in the issue), I’m in love with Steve Morris’ work yet again. I don’t know how he does it, turning out such good covers without fail, but he does it, and that’s what matters. At least, that is all that I care about really.

Issue #3, as I have said, has Dracula return with Xander and Dawn to investigate how all the new vampires popping up everywhere seem to be so powerful, and how they have abilities surpass those of even Dracula himself. Not a pretty picture, when you imagine an army of vampires running around, all of whom are more powerful than the greatest vampire who has ever lived. It creates some really tense moments in the issue, but it also lends itself to some really hilarious moments. I don’t remember the episode where Dracula mind-controlled Xander and everything, but that seems to be the crux of the relationship between these two and Dracula’s dismissive treatment of Xander is certainly very irritating.

And not only that, but it all spills over into the other characters as well since Dracula considers himself to be a high noble leaving among peasants and servants. His condescension for everyone around him is… refreshing in a way and I certainly had fun reading all of it.

But that’s not all that this issue is about because it also sheds some more light on the relationship between Xander and Dawn, as well as Buffy and Dowling. We get to see some really emotional moments between the four of them in their separate scenes as pairs, and I liked seeing that side of all of them. It makes them more… well-rounded, more relatable since we get to see some vulnerable sides to them as well as seeing them be all badass and all.

And speaking of badass, there are lots of great action scenes in this issue, paired with some really good, typically-Buffyverse dialogue. Nicholas Brendon and Christos Gage hit that sweet spot between the two once again, and from start to finish, this is one of the most entertaining issues I’ve read all month, and even all year. It is just that good, and I would really, really recommend that people jump on to this title.

Rebekah Isaacs and Dan Jackson are still on as artists, with Richard Starkings and Comicraft’s Jimmy Betancourt providing the letters. Buffy is a comic that I prize for its art and I wasn’t disappointed with this issue at all. Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles, Spike, they are all drawn amazingly well, and though there was somewhat of a misstep with expressions here and there, overall the art is really solid, and it is entirely consistent with the previous two issues. But, that’s what I expect from this creative team anyway, so not much of a surprise.

I really can’t say how much I loved this issue and how much I’m loving this series. You all really need to be reading this, especially if you are a Buffy fan.

Rating: 9.5/10
Old 05-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Addicted Fan

Finally have my copy of Buffy # 3,"New Rules Part III."

I keep this short.Greatyl enjoyed the issue.Loved the humor.I think Nick Brendon and Christos gage's writing was pretty seamless.There were a lot of moments I liked such as the buffy/Willow talk as well as Andrew wanting to be Dracula's manservant(and I'm not a fan of Andrew but did like that).Just like the last two issues,the wriing is still popping for me and RI is just as good.

All I'll say is on the Xander/Dawn front,poor Xander/

Not too thrilled with the idea of willing thigns into being the new rules of magic but we'll see where this goes.

Nice issue.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Angel & Faith # 3.

Preview: Angel & Faith Season 10 #3 - Comic Book Resources

Preview: Angel & Faith Season 10 #3

Angel has found everyone is going to the same person in London’s Magic Town for advice—and it’s decidedly not him. But she is someone Angel can take partial credit for . . . And the pixie menaces have stepped up their muscle with another lady from Angel’s past. Meanwhile, Faith is screwing up. Again.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new stuff.
Emily
Old 05-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Addicted Fan

Christos Gage tweets about two returning characters in season 10.

https://twitter.com/christosgage/sta...83176113303552

Christos Gage‏@Christosgage

Anybody want Harmony and Clem to show up in Buffy Season 10? Yeah, me too. I'll get right on that.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks!
Emily
Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Addicted Fan

BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 10: Gischler Splits Up "Angel & Faith" #2 - Comic Book Resources

BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 10: Gischler Splits Up "Angel & Faith" #2

Victor Gischler sinks his teeth into the demon-hunting solo missions of "Angel & Faith" #2 ahead of this week's new issue from Joss Whedon's Buffyverse

Kiel Phegley, Staff Writer

Despite the title of their monthly Dark Horse comic, Angel and Faith have started their year by going solo.

In its opening issues, "Angel & Faith Season 10" -- half of the canonical continuation of Joss Whedon's legendary Buffyverse -- has split its pair up to chase different wrinkles caused by the return of magic. So while the story of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" remains a happy homecoming for the Scooby gang, "Angel & Faith" is a more down and dirty look at the new rules of the universe in the hands of writer Victor Gischler and artist Will Conrad.

In our latest installment of BEHIND BUFFY SEASON 10 -- a monthly look at the stories of the Buffyverse -- Gischler joins to the fray to explain how he's taken on the task of writing a monthly series after his well received stint on Dark Horse's "Spike" mini, why Angel and Faith each have their own demons to struggle with as Season 10 begins, what hidden threats lie in a world of possessed rock stars and punk pixies and how the grand scheme of the season will develop over this first story arc, which continues this week in issue #3.

CBR News: Victor, writing "Angel & Faith" is not only a change for your role in the Buffyverse, it's also a change for the characters themselves, as our leads aren't starting this story as a team. In a broad sense, what was the attraction to putting both Angel and Faith on their own paths to start this season?

Victor Gischler: After leaving it the way we did at the close of Season Nine, it wouldn't have been right to just have Angel and Faith doing their thing, business as usual. Faith has come a long way and really grown as a character, and she's earned some time for herself as a character, time apart from Angel to do her own thing and think her own thoughts without the weight of being half a duo on her shoulders. And this Magic Town thing is brand new. Somebody needs to stick around and keep an eye on the place, and that's Angel. Chris [Gage] left me in good shape, with a bunch of fun rabbits to chase.

At this point, it seems like the theme of the first arc for both our leads is "adjusting to the new job." But we also know that first arcs on the Buffy comics are often about opening up the big pitch for the series more often than they are about settling in. How much can we trust either status quo in general at this point?

You're going to see some of both, but I think the most obvious stuff -- as you astutely noted -- is the settling in. We'll have plenty of time to crank it to eleven, but right now, these characters are coming down from big things last season. So yeah, adjusting, settling in -- good choice of words.

I think by now we know that both of our cool slayer ladies are tough, but I don't think they're tough in exactly the same way. Is Giles right? Well, answering that might be a spoiler but I think it's good enough to say that he could be right. It's something that's believable when you hear it. Does Faith have the ability to be a loner? To function as one? I don't think that question stretches the imagination very much. But does she want to be a loner? That's a little more interesting of a question. I think she needs some time to ask herself those sorts of questions.

On Angel's side of the coin, we've got a new role for Nadira, as Magic Town seems to have had a lot of unexpected, transformative impacts. But I think most readers are probably worried that her seeming embracing of Angel is more sinister than it appears at first blush. Last issue, we had a young boy warning that "she" was warning folks there to stay away from him? Are shades of Nadira's old grudge still alive?

I think we're seeing a new Nadira here. Not that old feelings just vanish, but this is a Nadira who sees the bigger picture. How Angel reacts to this new Nadira is more of an issue.

More importantly, Angel seems to see a bit of Drusilla in Nadira's new setup. Do you think his reading is right on here, or might there still be some benevolence in how she's set herself up?

It's a natural sort of suspicion. He's too smart not to at least consider the possibility. He's been through too much just to take things on face value.

Of course, the main action of the issue is focused on crooked pixie Corky Smallwood, who's responsible for one of the major action pieces of this issue, amongst other things. Looking at Will Conrad's art, I was struck at how adept he seems to be at capturing not just the likeness of the actors we know from the series, but also the demonisms of the magical creatures from Joss Whedon's shows. How does our "porky" bruiser reflect what you hope to do in terms of worldbuilding on that front as you and Will move forward?

There was a lot of talk about pixies and Minoboars (Boaritaurs?) and other denizens of Magic Town when we were gearing up for this first arc. [Editor] Scott Allie was immediately concerned by the word "pixie" since the word conjures up a cute image for some people. I assured him I wanted something gnarly and nasty. I think the "porky bruiser" was originally going to just be a plain old Minotaur, and Scott said we didn't have to settle for run of the mill monsters from the handbook. Scott Fischer jumped in to help with the designs and we did the Boar version of the Minotaur. So yeah, there's been plenty of monster talk. You'll see demons and vampires, of course, because it's a Buffyverse book, but we're trying to mix it up too.

That was a lot of warm up to say that -- yeah -- Will Conrad is nailing it. It's much easier to world build when you have a great artist like Will backing you up. (As well as Scott F. on covers.)

Let's talk about Inspector Brandt. As the new character in the book, he's the x-factor of the series so far. What does the latest human ready to get tied up in the craziness of the Buffyverse represent for you this season?

I think Brandt serves a couple of useful purposes. First, we need to remember that Magic Town -- with all of its demons and creatures -- is smack dab in the middle of London, with millions of humans living there. It would be odd not to see one once in a while. Although, yes, we have the wonderful aunts and some others. London can't just pretend Magic Town isn't there, so Brandt also acts as a law enforcement liaison with the "normal" world. That's how he's "useful," but I'm also looking forward to exploring who he is as a character. I mean, what kind of guy volunteers to be the copper who goes into Magic Town with the demons and vamps and a hundred other things that might rip the skin off your body and eat it?

Back on Faith's side of the book, her early interactions at Deepscan show that she might not entirely be a team player. Is that a strength for this job or just a sign that her playing bodyguard is not long for this world?

There are two questions here to think about. Can she function in such an environment? And does she want to? There's no automatic answer to either question, but I think the second is more interesting. But there is always the possibility a character can fall flat on her face.

I'm betting we'll get some more answers on that front next month thanks to this Billy Rage cliffhanger. I don't doubt that Faith has the ability to handle this guy in terms of the demon-punching requirements, but what does her position as a person being asked to defend this d-bag say about her story moving into issue #3 and beyond?

Exactly. One might have the ability to do a job -- but is it worth doing? It would be a much easier world to live in if there were black and white answers. It's those gray areas that get you.

"Angel & Faith Season 10" #3 is on sale June 4 from Dark Horse Comics.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Addicted Fan

First Advanced Review for Angel & Faith # 3.

Angel & Faith Season 10 #3 Review | Unleash The Fanboy

Angel & Faith Season 10 #3 Review

By John McCubbin on Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014

Is Faith in trouble for doing the right thing and is Angel any closer to solving his mystery? Read on to find out.

The official description from Dark Horse:

Angel has found everyone is going to the same person in London’s Magic Town for advice—and it’s decidedly not him. But she is someone Angel can take partial credit for . . . And the pixie menaces have stepped up their muscle with another lady from Angel’s past. Meanwhile, Faith is screwing up. Again.

Following the explosive climax to last issue Angel & Faith kicks off in a exciting way with Faith continuing her fight with the demon. But is she doing the right thing here? I’ll avoid going into too many details but basically Faith gets in a spot of trouble due to her actions. This twist brought a brilliant question of morals and intrigue to the future of her development. Angel’s quest on the other hand is continuing to lose my interest as despite having some good points as well as giving a gripping climax to the issue it seems a bit lacklustre.

Victor Gischler continues to tell a story of two halves with Faith continuing her work for Deepscan and Angel continuing to explore the mysteries of Magic Town. Though we aren’t far into this series I am already starting to see which of these is more intriguing and that has to be Faith’s developments. Gischler seems to put so much more energy into her sequences with the dialogue being much more intense. When it comes to Angel he seems to be playing a longer build-up game and though he gives suspense and intrigue during this the polarity in pace compared to Faith’s sequences does hurt the overall flow slightly.

Will Conrad continues to kill it with the art for this series with his realistic yet dynamic style being simply marvellous. His highly detailed pencils along with the energetic layouts give a smooth and explosive flow to the issue. These layouts also do a stellar job of enhancing emotion as well as highlight the more intense action. Add to this Conrad’s wonderful inks and Michelle Madsen vivid colours and what’s not to love about these superbly amazing visuals.

Angel & Faith Season 10 continues to twist a entertaining take but the difference between plot developments gives an unbalanced tone to the story. Nevertheless it continues to be very enjoyable so I highly recommend it.

OUR RATING
+ Victor Gischler writes a script full of interest and suspense.
+ As ever stunning and realist artwork from Will Conrad.
+ Moral questions from Faith’s employers.
- Angel’s development is starting to feel slightly lacklustre.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for all that .
Emily
Reply   Post New Thread