Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Addicted Fan

Scott Allie tweeted another panel.for Buffy # 2

https://twitter.com/ScottAllie/statu...710592/photo/1

Scott Allie‏@ScottAllie ·
Love the coloring in this panel by Dan Jackson for @rebekahisaacs pic.twitter.com/tLIrWNTKap

comic fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Wonder Con variant covers for Buffy # 1 and Angel & Faith # 1.

Dark Horse Announces Exclusive Wondercon Variants! :: Blog :: Dark Horse Comics

Dark Horse Announces Exclusive Wondercon Variants!

04/10/2014

As the pop culture world gears up for this year’s WonderCon in Anaheim, CA, Dark Horse announces two special variant covers for this year’s show!

First up, Dark Horse brings an all-new variant cover for a critical hit and fan favorite, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with an exclusive Season Ten first-issue cover by Tomb Raider art director Brian Horton! Limited to 1,000 copies, these are sure to be scarce!

Second is a variant for Angel & Faith Season Ten #1, by Buffy cover artist Steve Morris! Again, with only 500 copies produced, these will go fast!

Old 04-11-2014, 03:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Wow, those covers are amazing!

Thanks for the updates
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Maybe I will read one someday.
Emily
Barstool Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I think I prefer just looking at the pictures
Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think I might be the same way
Emily
Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Addicted Fan

Wonder Con 2014 Panels.

Friday | Comic-Con International: San Diego

Firefly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Delving into the Whedonverse Series Artist Georges Jeanty

WonderCon Anaheim special guest Georges Jeanty takes you on intimate journeys through the lives of the crew of the Serenity as well as the Scoobys as they continued in the Dark Horse titles of these cult hit shows. Anyone interested in the Whedonverse, this panel is for you! Georges will be discussing his 20 years in the comic industry and talking about working with series creator Joss Whedon with stories and a Q&A about how seasons 8 and 9 came together...and maybe a little sing-along!

Friday April 18, 2014 4:30pm - 5:30pm
Room 203

Dark Horse: Whedonversity

Dark Horse's continuation of Joss Whedon's cult favorites ( Serenity, Buffy, Angel & Faith) remain some of the most talked-about comics in today's market. Dark Horse and WonderCon Anaheim are giving you an exclusive chance to hear all there is to tell about the upcoming arcs of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Serenity from the creative teams themselves! Join Dark Horse, along with Buffy Season 10 writer Christos Gage, Serenity writer Zack Whedon, artist Georges Jeanty, and maybe a few surprise guests for what is guaranteed to be one panel you don't wanna miss!

Sunday April 20, 2014 1:30pm - 2:30pm
Room 213
Old 04-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Addicted Fan

Dark Horse July 2014 Solicitations

"Aw Yeah Comics," "Groo Vs Conan" & More in Dark Horse's July 2014 Solicitations - Comic Book Resources

Angel & Faith Season 10 #4

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Chris Samnee and Jordie Bellaire (Variant cover)
On sale July 2
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing

Angel’s taking some beatings in Magic Town, while Faith is dishing them out, whether they’re deserved or not. The two remain a world apart, dealing with a demonic rock god and a city preyed on by the magical powers exploding inside it.

• Will Conrad (Serenity) returns to the Whedonverse!
• Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #5

Christos Gage (W), Nicholas Brendon (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)
On sale July 23
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing

When Buffy and crew try to wrest Xander from Dracula’s control, they begin a battle supreme with the terrifying demon that Dracula has become .
. .
• Nicholas Brendon joins the writing team!
• The team from Angel & Faith takes over Buffy!

“Another fantastic addition to the series.” —Newsarama

Old 04-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Addicted Fan

CBR has been recording today's Whedonversity Panel live at Wonder Con 2014.It's finished now and here's the whole report.

WC14: Inside Dark Horse's "Whedonversity" with "Buffy" and "Serenity" - Comic Book Resources

WC14: Inside Dark Horse's "Whedonversity" with "Buffy" and "Serenity"

"Buffy Season 10" writer Christos Gage and the "Serenity: Leaves on the Wind" team of Zack Whedon and Georges Jeanty talk the Whedonverse at WonderCon

Albert Ching, Senior Editor

It's Easter Sunday at WonderCon in Anaheim, California, and Dark Horse Comics wraps up their programming slate with a "Whedonversity" panel, focused on the latest in-canon continuations of Joss Whedon's beloved TV shows: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10," "Angel & Faith Season 10" and "Serenity: Leaves on the Wind."

Scheduled to be in attendance: "Buffy Season 10" writer Christos Gage, and the "Serenity: Leaves on the Wind" creative team of writer Zack Whedon and artist Georges Jeanty. The panel's scheduled to start around 1:30 p.m. Pacific time, and CBR will be reporting live -- so keep hitting refresh for the latest details, straight from the Anaheim Convention Center.

Panel moderator Brian Walton (editor of Nerdist) began the panel by asking the participants how big of "Buffy" fans they were when the show was on -- both Gage and Jeanty said they didn't watch it when it aired, and became fans upon being involved in the comics. "I was in an episode," Whedon added. "I played a bald, homeless teen in the season three premiere."

Answering how he approached season 10, Gage said, "Something new and interesting is happening to vampires," and that he didn't feel the need to depart too drastically from the previous volume. "Fans seemed to enjoy what was going on. It was more, 'What do we want to do that we think is going to be cool?'"

For "Serenity," Whedon said he had a conversation with his brother about directions to take the book, and that he's planting seeds for a follow-up after the "Leaves on the Wind" miniseries wraps. "I made a deliberate effort with the sixth issues to close things off, but to also tee a lot of things up so that another writer could take it and run with it. I don't know who that would be, but I hope somebody does it."

Speaking more on "Buffy Season 10," "The core Scoobys haven't really all been together for an extended season since season six of the show," Gage said, adding that it was "really exciting" to bring them back together. Gage said it was all Joss's idea to put Giles in the body of his 12-year-old self.

Gage said that Nicholas Brendon -- Xander himself, and a Season 10 contributor -- was at the Season 10 creative summit, and suggested, "We have to make sure that Giles has a real problem with raging boners all the time." Gage said that Season 10 will include a major set-piece devised by Brendon.

Jeanty discussed bringing authenticity to illustrating the Whedonverse. "When I was doing 'Buffy,' I was always referring to a particular episode, or making sure 'Buffy' was in my head."

Asked about the reaction the panel has received from the famously passionate Whedon fans, Jeanty joked, "I think the biggest disappointment is that Spike and Angel aren't gay lovers in reality. I remember a lot of fan fiction going in that direction." Gage said he didn't know what "shipping" was before he wrote "Angel & Faith" -- and that he explained it to Brendon, and informed him of Xander/Spike shippers.

"This is really my first opportunity to engage with the fans since the 'Serenity' comic came out, so I don't really know if people are pissed off or not," Whedon said.

First fan question asked what the panel thought of Dawn. Jeanty said he doesn't necessarily understand the negativity to the character. "I ended up really liking Dawn. Her maturity in Season 8 and 9, to me, has vindicated anything she was before." Gage said he likes Xander and Dawn as a couple, but clarified, "that dosn't mean I'm not going to do terrible things to them as couple."

"I always liked Dawn," Whedon said. "I thought that it was brilliant that the show came back, and suddenly there was a character there that everybody was acting like was there always. I hadn't seen that on television, and haven't seen that since."

An audience member asked if "Leaves on the Wind" will continue past issue #6, and Whedon, who has a full schedule writing for TV, again indicated that he'd like for another writer to continue where he leaves off -- suggesting it was unlikely there will be more "Serenity" written by him in the near future. Whedon also said that he made the conscious decision to not incorporate cursing in Chinese into the comic, since he felt it didn't work in a comic like it did in live action.

Whedon was asked to comment on his experience working on "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog." "The whole thing was a lot of fun," he said, adding that it was a bigger production than he originally anticipated. "It was a ton of fun to write. It was so goofy, and we got to be so ridiculous. Before then I had been working for David Milch on 'Deadwood' and 'John From Cincinnati,' and there's not a lot of goofiness there. To be able to be so absurd with the writing and the comedy was just so refreshing."

A fan asked if Dawn will continue Xander's unlucky streak, and be revealed as an evil demon. Gage said she's not a demon, but there will be complications in their relationship.

Will there be character-focused one-shots or miniseries as part of "Buffy" season 10? "As I understand it, there are no plans for ancillary miniseries this time around," Gage said. "Instead we are extending the seasons -- last time around they were 25 issues, now they're 30." Dark Horse publicist Aub Driver pointed out that Spike actor James Marsters is writing a "Spike" original graphic novel out in July.

Whedon on the differences between writing TV and comics: "In an issue of the comics, I'm trying to cram a lot of story into a much smaller space. We're covering a lot of ground really quickly, and that can be a challenge, but also a lot of fun." He also enjoys the lack of budget restraints. "If I can think of it, I can make it happen. It's liberating in that regard."

Gage added that one of the great things about writing for actors is when you can be a little subtler, and Jeanty and "Buffy" artist Rebekah Isaacs both have the ability to capture that element in a comic book.

Asked about dealing with fan reaction, Gage said he's usually so far ahead, that he doesn't really have the ability to adjust to account for fan reaction -- and being too concerned with how the story will be received would weaken the final product. Gage said for the most part, "even when [fans are] unhappy with something, they come at it from a respectful way."

For the final question of the panel, Gage was asked to describe "Buffy Season 10" in three words. He chose "Family" and "growing up," saying that by "family" he means "the people you choose to be your family." "We got them all back together, and this is not the time to do the alien invasion storyline" -- it's time to explore why they relate to each other, he said, and what makes it work.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for that.
Emily
Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Addicted Fan

First advanced and spoilerish review for Buffy # 2.

ADVANCED Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 - Comic Book Therapy

ADVANCED Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2

by Kevin Finnigan

While Dark Horse has been touting that Buffy is going “back to the basics,” Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 shows that embracing the basics and building upon them is better. And that’s a great thing for us readers.

Christos Gage uses the illusion of going back to basics throughout #2. The ol’ Scooby Gang is back together and looking to Giles for help on a new situation that they can’t seem to tackle. But that’s not the case anymore. Giles makes it abruptly clear that they need to figure things out for themselves now. This is something we saw in the latter seasons of the TV show, but Gage gives it a nice twist with Buffy jumping in without hesitation. I always appreciated Giles father figure like role on the show and understood why he left for England in the later seasons, but his sudden confession about not wanting to be in the role didn’t fit right with the scene. You want to be back, but don’t want to be useful? It just doesn’t work with what we know about the character, even with his new teenage body. If this streak continues, we’ll see him heading back to Angel in London where he won’t have anything to do either.

The rest of the issue was entertaining as hell. I liked that Gage sent Faith off on her own as her presence in this book was burden on Angel & Faith #1. Buffy’s never ending love problems were missed severely in Season 9. Her “breakup” with Dowling shows that we have a more mature Buffy on our hands, but having it occur so early in the season almost guarantees that something will be happening between these two before long. I’m glad that Xander and Dawn are finally doing something about their relationship. Xander was in borderline limbo last season, as the character didn’t really have much to do. Gage’s character work really brings him back to the character we knew from the TV show and season 8. The humor is back, but is mostly there when Xander is anxious or nervous about something. That character trait was one of the things that made Xander a constant favorite for me when watching the TV seasons. Gage fits a surprising amount into 24 pages, with every character getting enough time to shine. I’m not too surprised as Gage has always been a effective in spinning lots of plates at once.

What is there to say about Rebekah Isaacs artwork that I haven’t said a thousand times before in other reviews? She is a powerhouse on this title. Characters constantly capture the look of the actors while bring the characters to life in her own way. Buffy’s shock at Dowling agreeing with them not being an item was hysterical. Truly less is more in this case. Isaacs’ inks are stellar in this issue as she nails one of the hardest inking jobs in comics; inking Spike’s incredible cheek bones. James Marsters’ (Spike). They are a key feature but can make Spike’s face look skeletal if the inks are too heavy. But I compared the panels to Marsters in costume and it looked perfect.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 gets 4/5.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Addicted Fan

Second advanced review for Buffy # 2.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 Review | Unleash The Fanboy

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 Review

By John McCubbin on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014

Will Buffy and the gang manage to stop these super vamps? Read on to find out.

The official description from Dark Horse:

The Scoobies are back—including li’l Giles! Revelations about a new kind of vampire menace and the blank Vampyr book have only just begun. Everyone has a job to do, and for Buffy, it’s treading the road of past relationships! Lucky girl . . .

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 got off to a fantastic start with the introduction of super vamps and “New Rules” for the supernatural community shaking things up. The fight between Buffy’s gang and the super vamps continues straight from where #1 left off, though unfortunately it does end rather sudden and prematurely.

Christos Gage gives a fabulous continuation to the first issue as despite the sudden ending to the super vamp fight there’s not really much to dislike. The thing I loved most about the script had to be the way that each member of Buffy’s vast cast managed to get some time to shine as the issue never focused on one character in particular. The transition between these sequences was on the other hand not as smooth as I’d have hopped with it feeling a bit jumbled at times. Gage does however give great dialogue and character interaction with this more than making up for the awkward transitions.

Rebekah Isaacs produces yet more beautiful art with her fun style being truly astonishing. The sheer detail of her art along with the dynamic layouts really help cement the quality of her work with it giving a stunning look and feel to the series. She also produces intense action which is simply awe-inspiring, adding a lot of excitement to the opening of this issue. It is however the charm and overall emotion that she adds to the characters that I love the most with it giving a realistic feel to the story. To top things off we also get vibrant colours from Dan Jackson as well as a spectacular cover from Steve Morris.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 continues to be a fantastic continuation to the Buffyverse as although there’s still things to be worked on it’s proving to be a thoroughly enjoyable series. Highly recommended

OUR RATING
+ Christos Gage continues to give a magical Buffy tale.
+ Beautiful artwork from Rebekah Isaacs.
+ Every character has their moment to shine.
- Fight ends pretty suddenly

ETA

C2E2 2014 variant cover for Buffy # 2

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52325

Dark Horse Unveils C2E2-Exclusive "Buffy" and "Tomb Raider" Variant Covers

Dark Horse will offer convention-specific variant covers by Aly Fell and Andy Park this weekend in Chicago, and CBR has the exclusive first look.

Albert Ching, Senior Editor

Convention season continues this weekend with C2E2 in Chicago, and Dark Horse Comics will offer show-specific versions of "Tomb Raider" #1 and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #2 with new variant covers by Andy Park and Aly Fell, respectively -- and CBR has the exclusive first look at both.

Park, who as of late has worked extensively as a concept artist at Marvel Studios, has a history with "Tomb Raider," illustrating the 1999 adaptation for Top Cow Productions. Fell is a relative newcomer to comic books, and has a project at Dark Horse that will be announced at C2E2 -- keep reading CBR for on that front.

Last edited by comic fan; 04-22-2014 at 01:54 PM
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Wow, love that cover!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Addicted Fan

Leyki's review of Buffy # 2.

Review, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #02 (New Rules, Part 2) | Light_Watcher
Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Addicted Fan

The One Reference That Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 Is Not Making

The One Reference That Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 Is Not Making - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

ETA

I have my copy of Buffy # 2,"New Rules Part II."

I'm going to keep this short but another very strong issue from Gage and Isaacs.They are really firing on all cylinders.

I loved all the Giles moments in the issue and his interaction with everyone both new characters from season 9 and the Scoobies.

The mystery of the new rules with the Vampyr book and the new vampires is intriguing

Really happy with the way buffy and Faith parted in this issue and hope we'll some more crossover later in the season.

I do wonder if we'll be seeing the new season 9 characters again given this issue almost felt like a curtain call for them.Koh does seem to indicate Illyria is not gone though.

On the Xander/Dawn front .Yes much awkwardness.I do wonder if Xander is making things worse just by his worry.A reunion with Dracula probably isn't going to help.Remember how Drac treated Renée in season 8?

I'm still not sure how I feel on the Anya plot.This issue gives more weight to the idea Anya somehow is haunting Xander and it's not just in his mind.Again,more dead characters returning I'm not thrilled about about but we'll see where this goes.

Another great issue.

Last edited by comic fan; 04-23-2014 at 10:47 AM
Reply   Post New Thread