Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 02:35 PM
buffyannAlex

Thanks for the article macci

I love that everyone knows how big of a mistake cancelling Everwood was I hope Tom got the thankful book we sent him and knows how much we regret it's over
I really hope to see him again on TV. I'm sure he rock in Theater but I can't fly to the US to see him

Old 04-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Dean asked what happened to Everwood. He called it a CW show and Tom corrected him that it was a WB show that the CW didn't want. Dean said he didn't understand that as he thought EW was doing well and would continue to do so for the CW. Tom pointed out that it was Dawn Ostroff's decision. (Yes, he actually mentioned the horrible woman.) He said she felt that EW "wasn't skewing young enough." The problem was that it had a multi-generational cast, which Tom thought was its strong suit and Dean agreed. But this "was seen as a negative."
Love this bit and Tom's reasoning is all too true.

Thing is, the CW is paying the price for their stupidity now. Look at what's happening to the so called "better" shows they took in front of our Everwood? Most are tanking and they have to know what a huge mistake they made at this point. It's so damn obvious to everyone involved. So I guess it's about sweet revenge but still... at the time it was so very frustrating.

Anyway, thanks macci for the article

One more thing, I've been to the city where Tom grew up and it's so very true how it's vastly different from the big city
Old 04-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Dedicated Fan

Here's the only review I've seen so far of Tom's play in Chicago, Cynical Weathers.

Politics rears 'Cynical' head in dramedy :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Hedy Weiss

It's generally positive. The only mention of Tom is that the Republican senator is
Quote:
... played by Tom Amandes, Dr. Harold Abbott in TV's "Everwood," who here brings just the right suggestion of "no THERE there".
Not much, but it is positive.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:50 PM
buffyannAlex

Thanks macci

Always good to have Tom mentionned

Old 04-24-2007, 05:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

macci, thanks for that. So much talent, hopefully he gets back on the small screen in a good role very soon. He deserves it, his fans deserve it.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:18 AM
buffyannAlex

Totally. But being in a play is still a good recognition. I just hope for him to get a lead sometime, like Treat got in "Heartland". He would deserve that, whether it's a movie or a show. Tom, we love you

Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Definitely. Oh yeah a play's good recognition for sure. I feel like though when he's not on the screen, a larger audience is so missing out, you know? Think about how many people probably passed over even the brilliance that was Everwood because the assumption is the WB = a teen soap network and as a result so many didn't tune in and missed out on so much. People deserve to watch this guy in action, as many people as possible so with that being said, please, Berlanti, someone, get him back on the screen so a larger audience can watch him in action and appreciate what this guy has to offer
Old 04-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for that, macci . And oh do I miss him on television. He really does deserve to be a lead and he's proven he can do it and he deserves it with Everwood, so I don't know why he's still being overlooked!

Here's an article with lots of quote on Tom and his play, and does kind of go into him not being on television, so here goes:

Quote:
Long before he played Dr. Harold Abbott on TV's "Everwood" or Eliott Ness on "The Untouchables," Tom Amandes was a hard-working Chicago actor.

He made his stage debut in our city in 1982, and during the 1980s was featured in productions in theaters that included the Court Theatre, Northlight Theatre and Victory Gardens Theater, and the defunct Body Politic.

When Amandes visited Chicago last year, he stopped by to see Dennis Zacek, the artistic director of Victory Gardens with whom he worked 18 years ago. It turned out Zacek was planning to mount a new play, "Cynical Weathers," in which he believed the starring role was tailor-made for Amandes.

"I thought it was perfect for me, too, and accepted the role immediately. Now, I'm playing a Texas politician. The Texas twang didn't come naturally to me, but I took speech lessons that helped me with the drawl and a higher-pitch way of talking," Amandes said in the lobby of the Victory Gardens Theater, where he stars in the world premiere of "Cynical Weathers."

In the drama, written by Douglas Post and directed by Zacek, Amandes originates the role of Dixon McDaniels, a politician who is torn by the two women in his life at the same time he is confronted by a hurricane of biblical proportion.

On the one hand, he has to deal with his atheistic wife, who is pushing her husband to enact tougher environmental legislation. On the other hand, he is being pulled by his chief of staff, a woman with very strong religious beliefs, who wants to bring her boss closer to God.

"When I read the script, I understood the character of McDaniels very well because I've been torn by some of the same forces and problems he has to confront," Amandes said.

The sixth of 11 children, Amandes grew up in the small town of Richmond, Ill. As a child, he and his brothers and sisters always were putting on shows at home. In high school, Amandes continued performing in dozens of high school theatrical productions.

"I was brought up with strong religious convictions," he said. "For a time, I was so religious that I formed a theater group, Call to Action, which presented plays on all kinds of religious moral issues.

"I struggled like the character I play in 'Cynical Weathers.' I'm trying to do justice to his dilemma. I realize that there's something very powerful about religion and spirituality, and can understand the situation he is in.

"I was raised Catholic, and in my 20s and 30s tried to hang on to religion for my parents' sake. But like the politician I'm playing, I, too, was plagued by doubts."

Amandes said it wasn't easy for him to turn away from his faith.

"But as the church became more conservative and more exclusive, I couldn't stay religious. I think a lot of people pay lip service to religion, and I didn't want to be one of them," he said.

The actor lives in Park City, Utah, where "Everwood" was filmed, with his wife, actress Nancy Everhard -- whom he met when she played his wife, Katherine Ness, on "The Untouchables" -- and their three children.

"We're raising our children to be good people, but we're not bringing them up in a religious home. I know that is going against the grain of what most people believe, but we're letting our children choose their own way," Amandes said.

Although he is best known for his television portrayals, Amandes said he misses working in theater.

"That's why when Dennis (Zacek) offered me this part, I went for it right away. TV is on a very fast-paced schedule, and you're not in touch with your audience. Having a connection to a live audience in theater is so rewarding," he said.

Does this mean that he'll be doing more theater?

"I hope so," Amandes said. "I'd love to do a Tom Stoppard play or some Shakespeare -- especially if it's in Chicago. This is the city that gave me my start, for which I'll always be grateful."
If you go ...

What: "Cynical Weathers"

When: Through May 13

Where: Victory Gardens Theater at the Biograph, 2433 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago

Tickets: $20 to $45

Information: Call (773) 871-3000 or visit Victory Gardens Theater - Home
DAILY SOUTHTOWN :: Entertainment :: Religious experience

Although I have to say, and I'm very sure he knows this, that with Everwood he did create a connection with the audience with the kind of show it was. Although probably not the same thing as theater anyway.

Man, I missed Tom Amandes interviews, he's so honest and well-spoken. I loved his discussion about religion. Very interesting!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 04-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Wow thanks for bringing that over Tos

Outstanding read. I thoroughly enjoyed his relgious thoughts as well and I can relate big time even. Growing up Catholic and I still am Catholic but I relate to his questioning for sure.

One thing that strikes me is that he LOVES theater! Maybe this is honestly what he really wants to do right now? Sure we all want him on the small screen again and maybe he wants to get back to that but one thing is for sure, theater isn't just a "side job" for him, he loves it and with that being said it's cool he's doing something he loves doing. Awesome.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
One thing that strikes me is that he LOVES theater! Maybe this is honestly what he really wants to do right now? Sure we all want him on the small screen again and maybe he wants to get back to that but one thing is for sure, theater isn't just a "side job" for him, he loves it and with that being said it's cool he's doing something he loves doing. Awesome.
Yeah, that's very true. And he can still do side roles or even bigger roles when he feels like it on television or movies or whatever. This gives him more freedom rather than looking for work all the time. It's less pressure. Plus, as you said, it's something he really seems to love. He just needs to put the plays on television so we can all watch him.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Yeah, that's very true. And he can still do side roles or even bigger roles when he feels like it on television or movies or whatever. This gives him more freedom rather than looking for work all the time. It's less pressure. Plus, as you said, it's something he really seems to love. He just needs to put the plays on television so we can all watch him.
Exactly true. That's the only thing about Tom's love for theater, his adoring fans, most of them, aren't able to see this brilliant man in action if he's not on either the small or large screen. Maybe he's waiting for the right role to come along and until then, plays are his calling and he enjoys that as well so it's a win/win situation for him. Doing something he loves and being selective about what his next role might be on the screen. We'll see. Maybe Berlanti will have something juicy for him that he simply can't pass up in the near future? That would be outstanding.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Elite Fan

Brining this thread back from extinction.

I'm sitting here flipping through my TiVo. Decide to watch last week's Curb Your Enthusiasm and guess who happens to be guest starring...Tom Amandes. And it was a dinner scene...with no signature Abbot napkin.

kenny | credit
Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Loyal Fan

I was just thinking about how so many ****e actors have made loads of movies and made busloads of money. Then it hit me. Tom Amandes would have been brilliant in a parody of an action classic. These movies are usually bad, but Mr. Amandes has the talent to turn one of these movies into a great laugh.

"Die Hard or Die Laughing" for Tom Amandes.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Yeah Tom could pull it off, I'm convinced Tom could pull anything off. I want him consistently back on the screen again. He's such a talent.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 AM
buffyannAlex

So what do you think of Tom Amandes on Eli Stone ?

I was so pleasantly surprised by his appearance in the show. At first, I thought it was just a guest appearance but, no, he has a real role
I'm so glad to see Berlanti and his cast and crew are still close

About the role itself, I guess it's a wait and see. I feel like Tom doesn't fit in this role but I guess it's because I'm so used to Doctor Abbott that it feels wrong somehow. But I'm just glad to be able to see him on screen every week

Closed Thread   Post New Thread