Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Match over, Bradley had a WONDERFUL GAME and terrific goal. He's making it big, man, I can feel it. I honestly think he's making it bigger than any American to date, just watch. He has ALL the tools, he's young, he's going to make us proud.

MLS All Stars vs Chelsea now!

That view in PA looking up past the stadium is just gorgeous. That's PA for you. I have been all around PA and it's one of the most diverse, gorgeous states in the US. In my mind it just might be the most beautiful if you scour it from start to finish. It doesn't get any better than western PA and those rolling hills and mountains. It's breathtaking. OT but that view reminded me of what PA has to offer so I went for it.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

U.S. Women’s Soccer Team Beats France

credit NYT

Quote:
GLASGOW — Four years ago in Beijing, Carli Lloyd provided the climax to the women’s soccer tournament at the Olympics with a wicked shot that was, for the United States at least, a truly golden goal. On Wednesday, Lloyd produced another dazzling finish that the Americans can only hope will send them along a similar path.

An enterprising YouTube savant might find the shots suitable for a mash-up, as they were virtually mirror images. In China, Lloyd’s strike came off her left foot from outside the left edge of the penalty arc in the final against Brazil; here it was her right foot, from the right side, in the first match of the London Games, a wondrous dart that pushed the Americans ahead in a 4-2 comeback victory over France.

Although the Beijing blast surely came under more meaningful circumstances, Lloyd’s latest might have been more impressive to witness. After dribbling a few steps to her right, Lloyd — who was left out of the starting lineup and only came on as a first-half substitute — unleashed a rising shot that zoomed past goalkeeper Sarah Bouhaddi and broke a 2-2 tie in the 56th minute.

Lloyd immediately turned and sprinted toward the United States bench, sliding on her knees near the touchline before being tackled by a mob of teammates. Lloyd said afterward that she took an extra measure of satisfaction in the goal because she began the game on the bench, an assignment she is still getting used to.

In 2011, Lloyd started all 19 games in which she played; this year, she had started 13 of 16. Still, she said she was “at peace” with Coach Pia Sundhage’s decision and was determined to make an impact if she got a chance to play.

That opportunity came when the veteran midfielder Shannon Boxx injured her right quadriceps and was replaced in the 17th minute. Lloyd quickly fell into her familiar routine with teammates but said she was not expecting to hit such a pure shot from distance because she and other players had struggled to get comfortable with the Adidas balls being used in the Olympics.

The balls are a little bit harder, Lloyd said, so “it’s not very often you hit in the sweet spot.” She added, “Fortunately on that one, I did.”

Lloyd’s magic was the final salve on a brutal beginning for the United States, which looked ragged at the start and trailed, 2-0, after 14 minutes. The French attacker Gaëtane Thiney provided the opening score, dribbling forward essentially uncontested in the 12th minute and ripping a long-range shot that Hope Solo dived for but could only graze.

Two minutes later, a scramble in front of the American goal was defended equally poorly, and after five United States players had chances to clear but failed, Marie-Laure Delie hammered a shot in from 6 yards to stun the American fans in the small crowd at Hampden Park.

When Boxx went off moments later, it seemed as if there might be reason for the United States to worry. France lost to the United States in the World Cup semifinals last summer but had won its 17 matches since, and the French players appeared in control, showcasing a smooth, silky style of passing.

But the Americans were unmoved. “We were ice-cold — we weren’t even fazed going down two goals,” Solo said. “We knew France was good, but we knew we were better.”

While France tried to push its advantage, the United States quickly rebounded. Alex Morgan said she and Abby Wambach told each other, “All right, a goal each” and they delivered, with Wambach heading in a goal from a Megan Rapinoe corner kick and Morgan running onto a long punt from Solo before burying a short-range shot to tie the score at 2-2 just after the half-hour mark.

“We’re going to need her,” Sundhage said of Morgan, who also scored the final goal in the 66th minute in her Olympic debut.

“Every single game going forward, we’re going to need her,” Sundhage added.

Sundhage attributed her team’s sluggish start to a bit of nerves; after the second French goal, she said she immediately thought back to Beijing. In China, the United States also fell behind early, conceding two goals to Norway in the first five minutes of the opening match.

On that day, the Americans did not rally (they lost, 2-0), but Sundhage said she was heartened by the overall resolve her players showed, bouncing back from that defeat to go on to win the gold medal.

This time, the comeback was quicker, and Lloyd’s shot allowed the United States to revel in a way they could not at this stage in Beijing. In contrast to four years ago, the United States is now on course to win its group — it has matches left against weaker teams, Colombia and North Korea — which would put it in a strong position going into the knockout round.

Most American athletes look forward to the opening ceremony in London on Friday night, but the women’s soccer team will remain here, where it faces Colombia on Saturday. There are plans for the team to dress in the Team USA-issued opening ceremony outfits and watch on television together, but disappointment over missing the event did not appear to run deep.

“There’s nothing that’s going to stop us,” Wambach said. “Two goals, people getting injured — there’s one thing that we have on our mind, and it’s gold.”
Pia's words prove why she took Morgan out. SHE'S NEEDED.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

WOW MLS 1 Chelsea 0 !
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Master Fan

Congrats for your women soccer team! I wish you a lot more wins to watch this Olympic games!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
Congrats for your women soccer team! I wish you a lot more wins to watch this Olympic games!
Thanks!

I'm super intense over this team. LOL You might see my insanity off and on throughout the games when it concerns this team. I really love this team, I fell in love with these women last World Cup.

I will not be this annoyingly intense in other events (well, minus basketball a little lol) nearly as much as women's soccer so that's the good news.

What events are you looking forward to?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Master Fan

It's understanding. It's your team and your sport!

I will be that 'annoying' ( ) for men's volleyball (though our team doesn't have big chances), rhythmic gymnastics (if you remember I showed you some time ago performances of our group team, they qualified for the Olympics, so I will watch them). We also have attendance in athletics and artistic gymnastics.

I will follow close also men's football/soccer. Again I'm for Spain .
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koni
It's understanding. It's your team and your sport!

I will be that 'annoying' ( ) for men's volleyball (though our team doesn't have big chances), rhythmic gymnastics (if you remember I showed you some time ago performances of our group team, they qualified for the Olympics, so I will watch them). We also have attendance in athletics and artistic gymnastics.

Awesome, so we can both be annoying together!

Our men's team didn't qualify so I'll root for the Spaniards too.

Do you get into the opening ceremonies and all of that?

I cannot believe MLS All Stars beat Chelsea tonight, 3-2!

This was an amazing day of soccer/football...

1. US Women beat France in match one of the Olympics.
2. Roma beat Liverpool with Michael Bradley scoring a great goal.
3. MLS All Stars beat Chelsea.

A perfect 3-3.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Match over, Bradley had a WONDERFUL GAME and terrific goal. He's making it big, man, I can feel it. I honestly think he's making it bigger than any American to date, just watch. He has ALL the tools, he's young, he's going to make us proud.
:
Totally agree. He played so well tonight. I couldn't be happier for him!

Quote:
Pia's words prove why she took Morgan out. SHE'S NEEDED.
Yes, that's the reason she took Alex out. I believe it was a good decision.

Quote:
This was an amazing day of soccer/football...

1. US Women beat France in match one of the Olympics.
2. Roma beat Liverpool with Michael Bradley scoring a great goal.
3. MLS All Stars beat Chelsea.

A perfect 3-3.
I couldn't have said it better, Michelle!

Quote:

I'm going to join you and Michelle in the "annoying" department!! Koni, I am going to root for all Bulgarian teams....unless they're playing the US...of course.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Totally agree. He played so well tonight. I couldn't be happier for him!
Jersey boy.

He also recently got married I think. Can't you just feel the momentum for him? It's very interesting. He was down and out if you think about it:

1. Villa was lame and never gave him a chance.
2. Tension with the German team once he came back from Villa.
3. He was moved to one club in Italy.
4. Dad gets fired as national coach.
5. JK even made him work super hard and doubt he even had a starting spot or significant playing time with the national team.

It's like he took everything, bundled it up, used it as positive energy since:

1. He is playing amazingly for our national team and is arguably our MVP.
2. Gets moved to a prestigious club in Italy where he's doing exceptionally so far.

Outstanding turn around!

Quote:
Yes, that's the reason she took Alex out. I believe it was a good decision.
I think so, too. Wait until you see how beat up she got during those two moments along with the goals and everything else. A great match to watch from start to finish. I cannot wait for Saturday's match!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Jersey boy.

He also recently got married I think. Can't you just feel the momentum for him? It's very interesting. He was down and out if you think about it:

Quote:
Amanda Barletta is the lucky lady – a former University of Rhode Island tennis player and New Jersey native. Nice catch MB. The couple is registered at Williams-Sonoma, of course, classy

Yes, the Jersey boy married the Jersey girl July 2nd.

I agree that he had to claw his way up to the top....not an easy task. Villa were absolute fools. It's their loss.

Quote:
I think so, too. Wait until you see how beat up she got during those two moments along with the goals and everything else.
I saw. Horrible.

And you're right. Carly Lloyd's goal was spectacular!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty

Yes, the Jersey boy married the Jersey girl July 2nd.
So cute, they must have been together a while?

Quote:
I agree that he had to claw his way up to the top....not an easy task. Villa were absolute fools. It's their loss.
Yes, they were. Their loss was Roma's gain and by extension, our national teams gain because I really think he get super motivated after that.

Quote:
I saw. Horrible.

And you're right. Carly Lloyd's goal was spectacular!
Yes! It was such a bullet. It shows our depth whenever she comes off the bench due to injury and does that.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Highlights:

Highlights: U.S. Women Defeat France 4-2 - Soccer Video | NBC Olympics
Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Olympics Men's Soccer

Watching Mexico and South Korea, just started!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Master Fan

Betty thanks for rooting for my teams when they are not playing against yours . I will also root for your teams when they are not playing against mines .

Michelle I might check the opening. There is a Mexican singer that will sing there. I used her songs to study Spanish (she was part of group first and now it's solo singer, but I listened about 70 songs of the group and another 10 that are solely hers). So I would want to see her singing there.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Koni, we posted at the same time, see soccer post above. lol

What is the name of the Mexican singer?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread