Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
How did I miss this?

You missed it because:

1. You ignore me! Lol

Quote:
Now you have no excuse, Michelle. You can't forget. It's here in black and white! (and tan!)

The first match is 2 days before the start of the Olympics. I guess it's an elimination match.
Elimination? If they lose they don't even enter the Olympics?
Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)

Elimination? If they lose they don't even enter the Olympics?
I don't know how it works. I just know that when I went to DVR to record the match on Wed....the description of the day's activities said Elimination round. Check it out, Michelle.

Perhaps it's like the World Cup...you play 3 matches and the top teams go on to the next round?
Old 07-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I don't know how it works. I just know that when I went to DVR to record the match on Wed....the description of the day's activities said Elimination round. Check it out, Michelle.

Perhaps it's like the World Cup...you play 3 matches and the top teams go on to the next round?
Yes, look:

Group Standings - U.S. Soccer

I think we're in a fairly good group considering but France is going to be a difficult match even if on paper we should win.

So yes, I guess we have to advance from the group to move on to the quarters.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
1. You ignore me! Lol

Never!!!!

Quote:
Yes, look:

Group Standings - U.S. Soccer

I think we're in a fairly good group considering but France is going to be a difficult match even if on paper we should win.

So yes, I guess we have to advance from the group to move on to the quarters.
I think that all the groups will be tough...only the top teams qualified for the Olympics. Hopefully, we'll be tougher!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 07-22-2012 at 06:37 PM
Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Never!!!!

Quote:
I think that all the groups will be tough...only the top teams qualified for the Olympics. Hopefully, we'll be tougher!
This seems to be the toughest group:

Quote:
Group F

Team GP W L T GF GA GD Pts.
JPN 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
CAN 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
SWE 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
RSA 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Japan and Sweden, Canada doesn't exactly suck.

Group E doesn't totally scare me minus Brazil. But yes, you're right, all groups are tough no matter how you slice it.

Sooooooo regarding our guys and their group... oh wait, they didn't qualify!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Penn State & Hockey

Penn State is fined $60 million, banned from postseason for four years and loses scholarships - Yahoo! Sports

I think this was the right punishment. I feel sorry for the innocent current students that suffer due to what happened in the past, though. Penn State was also starting HOCKEY as well. The big players, Minnesota Gophers and Wisconsin Badgers are leaving for Big Ten Hockey:

Quote:
2013 realignment

On March 22, 2011, Minnesota and Wisconsin announced that their men's teams planned to leave the league in order to form a hockey Big Ten Conference in 2013–14, along with Penn State, which is starting a varsity hockey program in 2012–13, and Central Collegiate Hockey Association members Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State.[7]

In response to the creation of the Big Ten men's hockey conference, Denver, Colorado College, North Dakota, Nebraska-Omaha, Minnesota-Duluth, and St. Cloud State will join Miami University and Western Michigan of the CCHA to create the National Collegiate Hockey Conference.[8][9] Facing membership at 5 teams for the 2013–14 season, the conference added Northern Michigan from the CCHA on July 15, 2011.[10]

On August 25, 2011, the WCHA announced that had invited the University of Alaska Fairbanks, Bowling Green State, Ferris State, and Lake Superior State to join beginning in the 2013-2014 season. On August 26, 2011, Alaska-Fairbanks, Ferris State and Lake Superior State accepted their invitations and will join Northern Michigan into the WCHA in 2013.[11] After much deliberation, on October 4, 2011, Bowling Green decided to join the WCHA as well in 2013.[12]

This realignment activity only affected the men's side of the WCHA. Even after Penn State takes the ice with both men's and women's teams, the Big Ten will still have only four members with varsity women's hockey (Michigan and Michigan State field only men's teams). This means that the women's side of the WCHA will remain intact for the foreseeable future.
I guess Penn State is still a go, though, because this program will not be affected.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I think this was the right punishment. I feel sorry for the innocent current students that suffer due to what happened in the past, though.
Yes, that's the tough part. It's not fair to the innocent students. I guess collateral damage is inevitable.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yes, that's the tough part. It's not fair to the innocent students. I guess collateral damage is inevitable.
For sure. I think the programs will be set back even longer than the sanctions because those with major talent are not going to want to exist there on teams that are not competitive so they will transfer out. I bet the usual competitive nature of this institution will not get back on track for at least another 5-10 years and I see it being closer to 10.

Nash

NY Rangers robbed Columbus. Wow!

Rangers lose 3rd line players, a defenceman who will never be Larsson, and a first rounder that will likely not amount to anything.

Howson shouldn't be allowed to GM.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-23-2012 at 02:25 PM
Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 AM
Loyal Fan

NHL

Howson is terrible. I always thought Nash was a bit overrated but he was the face of that lousy franchise. Howson went from holding out for players like Kreider and McDonagh to giving in and getting depth players instead. He should have gotten Stepan AT LEAST. Great trade for NY.

I'm so glad the Predators matched the Flyers and kept Weber! I like the Predators and it's nice to see a small market team one up a big market one once in a while. Plus, **** the Flyers.

MLB

New ball park. Same old Marlins. Apparently they traded Hanley Ramirez to the Dodgers for nothing major. Another fire sale? What a shock!

Last edited by Dolfan13; 07-25-2012 at 05:45 AM
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan
Howson is terrible. I always thought Nash was a bit overrated but he was the face of that lousy franchise. Howson went from holding out for players like Kreider and McDonagh to giving in and getting depth players instead. He should have gotten Stepan AT LEAST. Great trade for NY.
AGREED! Seriously, I have no idea how Howson allows that trade to happen. I think it goes down as one of, if not, the worst trade in history of the NHL. There is no rhyme or reason why that trade took place. I heard Philly was in the mix as well but Howson didn't like what Philly had to offer. Huh? So you took garbage from the Rangers instead? A bum off the street could have pulled off a better trade!

Quote:
I'm so glad the Predators matched the Flyers and kept Weber! I like the Predators and it's nice to see a small market team one up a big market one once in a while. Plus, **** the Flyers.
Totally with you! I was so happy to see that take place. Weber's agent is an idiot, too, trying to bully Nashville saying Weber wanted Philly before the Pred matched. You don't sign an enormous offer sheet like that without feeling comfortable you will stay put since that's very likely to happen! I think Weber might have preferred Philly deep down, but he is comfortable and fine staying in Nashville too. Of course the agent changes his tune now after the fact and as we see, Weber seems fine staying.

MLB

Quote:
New ball park. Same old Marlins. Apparently they traded Hanley Ramirez to the Dodgers for nothing major. Another fire sale? What a shock!
LOL! I know it.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

OLYMPICS: SOCCER, US Women Defeat France opening match 4-2

HUGE win, enormous. I missed the first 25 minutes but came home to see our women behind 1-2 and couldn't believe it. I watched the next ten minutes watching our women dominate like crazy then hearing about France scoring 2 goals in the first 12-14ish minutes followed by Wamb getting in a goal for us to make it 1-2. I had to leave again (of course I'm recording) then get to my sisters with my nieces and mom there and we started watching at the 47th minute with it knotted 2-2 and found out Alex Morgan (who else?!) tied it around the 32nd minute. We watched the rest of the way and saw Lloyd shoot a BULLET for a goal to make it 3-2 and then of course, yet again Alex Morgan getting her second goal to make it 4-2! It was fun watching the match the rest of the way.

US entirely dominated. I remember France giving us more trouble even if we beat them in World Cup. Of course they got the first two goals but our women just dominated after that with such a great comeback and victory in this first match! Our Americans are arguably stronger, deeper and more diverse than they've ever been, and they have the firepower to overcome such a deficit which is precisely what transpired.

I mentioned to my family this is the type of match to remember... we had a slow start but instantly battled back and dominated the rest of the way. Our nerves are out of the way, a wake up call happened so we will not be cocky and here we go heading to the second match!

Only concern... Pia took Morgan out around the 79th minute and I don't understand why. Alex took a tumble not long before her second goal so maybe it was due to that but I don't know since she seemed fine after that. We were lacking a bit with movement and cohesiveness without Morgan in there the rest of the way which is why Pia making this move concerns me because I feel like if we slip up? It could be due to something like this. She better know what she's doing! Why take your star player out? Maybe it was due to Morgan getting hacked earlier but like I said she seemed fine and even if we had a 2 goal lead in these games anything can happen. Thankfully we were fine and collected this great all important victory!

Will watch it from start to finish in a bit!

ETA: Okay, I get why Morgan was taken out... she was hacked twice in this match... she was hacked big time around the 10th minute and went down... I didn't see that of course but I did see Alex getting hacked the second time in the match. Maybe Pia thought she scored two goals, the match was fairly in hand at that point, so she took her out to rest her body for Saturday.

Morgan is on a scoring terror too!

All the talk is about Abby and Alex as a combination together and NO ONE can stop them.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-25-2012 at 02:47 PM
Old 07-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I just got home from the beach and heard this news. Fantastic! Can't wait to watch the match.

Hopefully, Alex is not shaken up too badly.

I am presently watching Roma vs Liverpool. Anxious to see how Michael Bradley does.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I have it on too!

Regarding Morgan, I just think she was knocked down twice and it's not a specific injury really but she really was hammered both times. The second time wasn't a foul though it first it seemed so. On second glance you could tell it wasn't intentional but Alex still got hit nonetheless.

The key is winning our group because if we do that, we avoid Japan in the next round. Of course that is assuming Japan moves on as well. Then again, we play like we did AFTER we got back into the match starting with Abby's amazing header to the end of the match and no one on the planet will beat us. There's a reason why we're #1 in the world and why we are going for a third gold medal in a row. It is ours to lose so we better do this!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I have it on too!

Regarding Morgan, I just think she was knocked down twice and it's not a specific injury really but she really was hammered both times. The second time wasn't a foul though it first it seemed so. On second glance you could tell it wasn't intentional but Alex still got hit nonetheless.
Then it's a good thing that Alex was taken out. We have to keep her in good shape for the rest of the Olympics!

You mention in the e-mail that Hope Solo wasn't herself. What do you mean?

This is funny.....

Quote:
The second match at Hampden Park was delayed for over an hour after the North Korea team walked off the pitch in protest at their images being mistakenly shown on a screen beside a South Korean flag.

ETA: Michael Bradley!!!! 1-0 Roma!!!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 07-25-2012 at 05:07 PM
Old 07-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Take that AV for not giving Michael a chance! What a goal!

I severely rolled my eyes when those North Koreans did that. Grow up.

I ASSUME that's why Pia took her out. Otherwise, she's nuts and it concerns me she will continue to do that with Morgan which should never happen! She already, in my mind, made an incorrect decision having her come off the bench for World Cup. I would have to think she thought we were up 4-2 and it was pretty solid at that point but the thing is... what if France would have miraculously scored again and we then were out of sync and just not right without one of our two best players in there? I am pretty sure Morgan went out because a couple way ugly French girls hacked her too much. Oh, Megan Rapinoe was FABULOUS!

Regarding Solo... she seemed like she was flopping on the ground a lot and kept falling or something. Watch her when you watch the match. You will see there was NOTHING she could have done with those goals, they were too good. But she seemed to be falling during weird moments and then there was one moment both Anna and I were like, "HOPE NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" because she was almost walking out of the box WITH the ball! Even the announcers said that was a close one! It could be she was a bit stunned when France had us down 0-2 and she was mentally a bit shaken and that's why she wasn't totally her normal self.

Wait until you see Lloyd's goal... OH MY GOD.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread