Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Master Fan

Television

BBC America has just gotten itself back into my good graces (they lost quite a few points when they dropped Blackadder and Monty Python's Flying Circus and started airing almost nothing but reality shows) by beginning its run of Ashes to Ashes, the spinoff/sequel/sister series to Life on Mars. Most of the major characters from LoM are present, but it features a new, female protagonist -- a detective inspector from 2007 -- and a new [time] setting in 1981. The interesting twist on this one is that Alex, the very psychology-oriented protagonist, is, unlike Sam Tyler in LoM, utterly convinced that this entire world is in her head; no one and nothing around her is real and she'll behave accordingly. However, there are increasing indications that her assumptions may not be so on target. Plus, there's a whole mystery going on involving the shooting that resulted in her awaking in 1981 in the first place and the murder of her parents in 1981, and an emotional layer added by her desperation to get back to her daughter in 2007. So far only the first two eps have run, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit; John Simm was fantastic in LoM, but new lead Keeley Hawes, whom I've seen in several other British productions over the years (including an update of Macbeth with James McAvoy, AKA Scottish Greg Smith!), is terrific as well. The music isn't, uh, entirely to my tastes, but it does really add to the atmosphere (as do the interior design and the hairstyles, heh).

And no one actually cares about any of this, but I just felt like talking about one of the rare shows that I'm currently enjoying.

Last edited by Thief Of Love; 03-15-2009 at 02:17 PM
Old 03-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Elite Fan

I've seen commercials for that show. It looked interesting.

Watchmen

Well, I just got back from Watchmen, and I have to say that I liked it. I'm not this worshipping fan of the original graphic novel, but I was impressed that they were able to follow the source material so closely and still make an entertaining movie. There were subtle changes along the way, of course, for the most part it is like watching the comic book come alive. The main change is the ending, which I won't discuss. The main gripe I have with the movie is the ending. I don't know that the comic book ending, exactly as written, would have made a good ending, but I think some variation of it would have been better than what they did in the movie. The movie version makes sense too, but I just don't like it.

All in all, I'd recommend Watchmen to a friend. Be forewarned though, there is some nudity, and a fair amount of pretty graphic violence, so if you don't like that sort of thing, skip this one.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Master Fan

Kings

I'm suprised that Michael Green went from Everwood to Jack & Bobby to Heroes to this. It's like he's trying to get larger and larger. Next show? Epic series in space. Hee. I liked it, but I can't imagine that many average viewers will. It's pretentious as hell, it's political, it's fairly complicated for a network show, and the dialogue that Ian McShane spouts out would be pretty silly to most people, I think. It really has the feel of a mini-series than anything, and I kind of wish that this was all it was, because I don't see it lasting long enough to be anything else. On the good side, it's incredibly unique. The dialogue, the atmosphere, the ambition. It's all so grand. Of course, that means that there were three too many scenes of, "look at how great this is! Isn't this epic? You should be loving this speech". If anyone can make that work, though, it's Ian McShane, who was awesome. There needed to be a little more comedy than showcases of how epic the show is, especially with him, but otherwise I can see some balance. I really liked Chris Egan's character; very likable, infectious smile. There's some good drama, but some of it is edging towards soap.

To sum it up: good, not great. I'm rooting for it for the uniqueness of it, but also because if it doesn't work, we may have all three of the shows that Everwood writers had created this season gone by the end of it!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Loyal Fan

Agh! Its unfair that NBC scheduled Kings against Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters! Maybe I'll be able to catch it online somehow.

The "its good, not great" comment seems to be the general concensus. I can live with that.
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
Old 03-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Master Fan

I think you'll like it, shadow. Hopefully NBC repeats it. Although I think NBC.com is running it, if you wanted to do that. It really is well done. If this wasn't Michael Green and Ian McShane, it would be the cheesiest, silliest thing ever. It just needs to take itself a little less seriously. I hate when Heroes takes itself seriously when it's a show about superheroes acting dumb, and I will hate if this show doesn't start having a little more fun when it's a modern biblical adaption with Ian McShane! That's just too weird to be all serious all the time about, hee.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 03-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Did anyone watch Gossip Girl last night? I saw dribs and drabs of it because I was busy...couldn't tape it because I'm taping House. From what I saw.....the show is becoming a little too bizarre and ridiculous.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Part-Time Fan

CHUCK

What great timing! Last night's repeat of one of the best episodes to-date emphasized everything which is great about the show while providing a strong basis for comparison to the slightly off-track installments we have been receiving lately.

The fact that the night was filled with Chuck/Sarah moments was great, but the best thing, and something which has been sorely missed lately by this fan, was that the moments were mutual. Chuck actually received some gratification in return for his devotion. Sarah's feelings were not only made obvious to us, but to him; and in actual words! That's the way it's supposed to work!

In some ways it's kind of sad that two of the season's major highlights; the stunned expression on Sarah's face after their blazing liplock, and the four words "it worked on me", occurred so long ago. Why haven't there been more moments like that since? It is so obvious the show works better when Chuck can have confidence that his feelings are reciprocated and that it really is just the job keeping them apart.

Of course, the ear-to-ear grin Chuck was wearing when he went to claim Sarah's attention at the end disappeared instantly when Bryce showed up. In fact, one could make the argument that that was the single moment which initiated the show's slump. Chuck hasn't received much to make him smile since then. And when Chuck has nothing to smile about, the chances are I'm not smiling either.

A couple of the media columns I read this past week weren't too optimistic about CHUCK earning a third season. The producers are promising a "life-changing" end to this one. But, IMHO, the show doesn't need more stunt casting, or more gimmicks. It needs more "aw" moments between Chuck and Sarah. It needs its heart back. To me the rest is window dressing.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Loyal Fan

How I Met Your Mother

Really good episode last night. They teased Robin/Ted again at the end of the episode. I wonder if they are going to pull a "Definitely, Maybe" and have him say that he changed the names around and stuff.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Natasha Richardson (wife of Liam Neeson) has had a skiing accident in Montreal while taking a private lesson on the beginner's slope. It sounds kind of serious.....she's being flown to the US.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Elite Fan

I just saw that on Yahoo.

The Big Bang Theory

Great episode. It had the entire cast together for the entire half-hour, and there were some great comedic moments. I'm a S/P man, so I also liked all the Sheldon and Penny interaction.

How I Met Your Mother

First episode I've watched in a while, but I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the joke about sleeping attire, and the visual of Marshall in a nightshirt was hilarious. I'm so over Ted/Robin, so I wish that they'd stop giving us moments like the ending. Aunt Robin is how he refers to her. AUNT!

Decent episode. Not a whole lot happened, but Jack did get to kill someone with a screwdriver which he then used to steal his second car of the hour. Awesome. I'm loving this season so far, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

One Tree Hill

The episode that Peyton dies will be the last episode I watch. That's my warning to Schwann. Whether or not he cares, I don't know. You'd think that Peyton would be able to catch a break after 5 seasons of being crapped on continuously, but apparently not. At least this storyline will give HB something challenging to do.

The rest of the episode was kinda blah.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Natasha Richardson (wife of Liam Neeson) has had a skiing accident in Montreal while taking a private lesson on the beginner's slope. It sounds kind of serious.....she's being flown to the US.
Yeah, I hear it's pretty nasty. A few online places even posted that she had died and wrote an obituary!. Others say she's brain dead. I don't know what her real prognosis is. Very sad, though.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybgb (View Post)
Yeah, I hear it's pretty nasty. A few online places even posted that she had died and wrote an obituary!. Others say she's brain dead. I don't know what her real prognosis is. Very sad, though.

I just read that she passed away. 45 years old....2 young children...so tragic.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Elite Fan

I heard that on E! last night. Very tragic.

Better Off Ted

Since this show is populated by all sorts of actors that I like, I decided to give it a try. It wasn't as laugh out loud hilarious as I wanted it to be, but I found it amusing enough to keep watching. I don't know if the talking directly to the camera thing will eventually get annoying, but as of now I kinda like it.

Lost

Not quite up to the level of the past few episodes, but a decent hour nonetheless. It's odd to see Jack having to rely on Sawyer, and I'm sure it really gets under Jack's skin that that is the case. I still don't see how they are going to take care of the Sayid situation, but it looks like next episode is definitely worth a watch.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Master Fan

Very sad news about Natasha Richardson.

Quote:
Lost

Not quite up to the level of the past few episodes, but a decent hour nonetheless. It's odd to see Jack having to rely on Sawyer, and I'm sure it really gets under Jack's skin that that is the case. I still don't see how they are going to take care of the Sayid situation, but it looks like next episode is definitely worth a watch.
Agreed that it was a little step down from the previous amazing episodes. I think my biggest problem with the episode was Ben. Didn't the last episode, or the last Locke episode, end with Locke staring at Ben sleeping after Ben had literally killed Locke? What the hell happened? It just seemed like an odd disconnect. I'm sure we'll see what Locke did (or more likely didn't do), but..that bothered me a bit because the events on the second island didn't seem to me to be that long after that moment.

Otherwise, it was mainly a setup episode. A good one, though. I loved the 70s clothes Jack, Kate and Sayid were in and what hippies the Dharma Initiative members are even when there might be a hostile.

Oh, and what did Sawyer mean when he said Faraday isn't there anymore?!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Elite Fan

I took that to mean that Farraday is looney tunes now, but I guess we'll see.

I kept yelling "Bad Sawyer! Stop giving Kate those looks!" over and over last night. Stupid Lost. I start liking Sawyer a little bit, and now this happens.