Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Master Fan

Thanks, Alan. It was between that and Early Edition, but I think I'm going to have to go with Chuck this time.

And a big to everything you said about The Dark Knight, Barry. I would really recommend Wall-E for at least a rental. It's nothing like TDK, and I really have no idea what your movie tastes are, hee, but I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone. And if you can watch it after TDK, you'll be in a dark mood after the first movie, but all warm and fuzzy after Wall-E!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 03-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Loyal Fan

Friday Night Lights

Well, Tyra owes the Taylors BIG TIME. Cash will probably be back in an episode or two, causing others (Landry) to get involved too. I'm interested in seeing where Matt and Tim's college storylines are headed.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan13 (View Post)
Friday Night Lights

Well, Tyra owes the Taylors BIG TIME. Cash will probably be back in an episode or two, causing others (Landry) to get involved too. I'm interested in seeing where Matt and Tim's college storylines are headed.
I am so upset.....went out last night and forgot to set the VCR. I returned home 9:30 ...so only saw the 2nd half of the show.
Yes, Tyra does owe them big time......pulled the Taylors away from a potential beautiful evening. What happened to Tyra. Why did the cowboy (forgot his name) flip out?
Why were the women angry at Billy and Tim?
How does Cash fit into this story...I didn't see him.

I'm so glad that Matt's mom and grandmother kind of bonded last night....that will be so good for Matt.

What college signed Tim? Was it a local college?
I really don't think that Matt will go to a college in San Franscisco.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I am so upset.....went out last night and forgot to set the VCR. I returned home 9:30 ...so only saw the 2nd half of the show.
Yes, Tyra does owe them big time......pulled the Taylors away from a potential beautiful evening. What happened to Tyra. Why did the cowboy (forgot his name) flip out?
How does Cash fit into this story...I didn't see him.

I'm so glad that Matt's mom and grandmother kind of bonded last night....that will be so good for Matt.

If you want, they probably have the episode up on NBC.com. I don't really want to spoil anything for you.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
His name is Cash. He flipped out because he owed some shady guy a lot of money, then finished sixth place in the rodeo which meant he didn't win enough money to cover the debt. He took Tyra to this dive bar to play blackjack, lost his money, then left Tyra in the bar after physically forcing her to sit back down and yelling at her.

Quote:
Mindy was mad at Billy because he wanted her to quit dancing at The Landing Strip, and Lyla was mad at Tim because he wasn't taking his recruiting meeting seriously: he was drinking before it, then he laughed at Lyla, prompting her to stop on a random street and kick him out of the car instead of taking him to the meeting.

Quote:
It was nice to see something good happen after the blow up at the first of the episode.

Quote:
San Antonio State, which sounds fictional but I don't know if it is.

Quote:
Me either. That would be quite a major change for him.

Overall, I liked this episode alot. This season has been great, and I'm kinda sad that it'll be over pretty soon. Hopefully the deal with Direct TV will come through and we'll get another couple of seasons.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks, Alan. That explains everything.

Dolfan, I really don't want Cash to come back. I hope that we got rid of him for good.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Master Fan

I don't watch FNL, but I can say with certainty that San Antonio State is fictional, heh.

Quote:
It was between that and Early Edition
Early Edition is on DVD?! I loved that show! Time to hit Netflix again.

Music, continued, again

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't realized it hadn't even been a year for B&S for you! And now you're an official member of the hardcore fan club, hee. Including getting a question answered by Stuart (I think? Someone from the band, in any event).
Stevie. But I wish it had been Stuart, hee. *briefly considers changing back avatar*

Quote:
Hmm. I can definitely understand that. There are some bands that I know I should like based on what I listen to (like The Clash), but..I just really can't connect to any of their songs. I really got into "Waterloo Sunset" (especially; that's my "grab" song for them, hee)
May I just thank you for this, ’Tos? Because I decided to give that particular song another listen (I had to do a lot of complicated *coughing* to get hold of the albums in the first place, so they continue to reside in my computer and iPod) and...wound up listening to it 8 more times right after that! And that motivated me to give the rest of Something Else another whirl and I found that this time I really liked a couple of other songs as well (“No Return,” just because it’s pretty, and “End of the Season” because it sounds like it was written in 1908). I think the mistake I made initially was to listen to the full albums without any kind of ‘anchor’ song going in, which never works out well for me at first – it takes long enough for me to get into most albums even when I do already know and love one or two of the songs (even The Life Pursuit and If You’re Feeling Sinister took me awhile to fully appreciate).

Hmm, The Clash. I do really enjoy the popular songs – “Train in Vain,” “Should I Stay Or Should I Go,” “London Calling” (but not so much “Rock the Casbah”) – but never have gotten around to anything more.

Apropos of nothing aside from the ‘60s music I’ve been OD-ing on lately, but do you have any opinion on The Left Banke?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Master Fan

Music

Quote:
May I just thank you for this, ’Tos? Because I decided to give that particular song another listen (I had to do a lot of complicated *coughing* to get hold of the albums in the first place, so they continue to reside in my computer and iPod) and...wound up listening to it 8 more times right after that!
Yes! I knew one of those two songs would grab on to you, hee. It's so very weird that I randomly *coughed* both at the same time, and they both oppose each other so well. But "Waterloo Sunset" is definitely the better, more beautiful and, uh, less-snarky song, and it's just so so so very quintessentially London. Now when you go, you have another song (on top of possibly hundreds, I'm sure) about London to think about, heh. In fact, it was named "The Greatest Song About London" by one radio station, and the "Anthem of London" elsewhere. Thanks Wkipedia! But, yeah, that song is why I me Ray Davies and The Kinks. It's also quite an introvert's anthem too (looking out the window alone, not needing anybody to be in paradise). Alright, enough of about that song. *zips mouth*

Yeah, I can't get into anything more than some of the top singles from The Clash either. I don't know. I like some major punk bands a lot (Ramones, Dead Kennedys and The Stooges especially) but..not them, hee.

Quote:
Apropos of nothing aside from the ‘60s music I’ve been OD-ing on lately, but do you have any opinion on The Left Banke?
I don't. But mostly because I have never heard of them before in my life! Well, now I'm just going to have to get an opinion on 'em!

And yay for another Early Edition fan! My first ever TV obsession that was not a cartoon. I used to watch it with my mom every week. Fantastic show.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't watch FNL, but I can say with certainty that San Antonio State is fictional, heh.
That's too bad. I really think that this is a show that you and 'Tos could really get into.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Master Fan

Music

Quote:
Yes! I knew one of those two songs would grab on to you, hee.
Man, you're devious, hee. It is just such an incredibly English song, though, so I can see where it's been given those "Greatest Song About London"/"Anthem of London" titles! I don't mind your going on about the song at all, hee.

...And now I so have to assemble an "Introvert Music" playlist.

Quote:
I don't. But mostly because I have never heard of them before in my life!
Heh, yeah, they are, in general, one of the more obscure '60s bands, pretty much known only for "Walk Away Renee." They have that really strong British sound (the pretty, intricate melodies, use of strings and harpsichord and such in addition to the usual rock instruments)...but were actually from California, I think, and just wanted to emulate those bands, hee. But, hey, they did a pretty good job of that.

Television

Quote:
And yay for another Early Edition fan! My first ever TV obsession that was not a cartoon. I used to watch it with my mom every week. Fantastic show.
So great. A tiny, tiny bit Everwood-like in feel, even, in that you have this guy who's not at all thrilled with this burden, but still finds himself going out there and doing what he can to help others and avert disaster. Like a nice story with a slight edge to stave off the encroachment of too much cheese, hee.

Quote:
That's too bad. I really think that this is a show that you and 'Tos could really get into.
And here we were just talking about Kyle Chandler's previous series! I did see the first few episodes of FNL when it started, but just couldn't really get into it that much, for some reason. Maybe it's the setting, heh.

Last edited by Thief Of Love; 03-14-2009 at 05:38 PM
Old 03-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
And here we were just talking about Kyle Chandler's previous series! I did see the first few episodes of FNL when it started, but just couldn't really get into it that much, for some reason. Maybe it's the setting, heh.
We've really got to get you out of Texas!
Can't wait until you hear from those Graduate schools.

ETA: Kyle Chandler is so WONDERFUL on FNL.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Master Fan

I actually have been meaning to watch FNL one of these days because of all the comparisons to Everwood (having David Hudgins probably doesn't hurt with that), Kyle Chandler, and to the use of Explosions in the Sky, who is my favourite post-rock (I don't come up with the genre names) band, and so many posters here being big fans of it. I mean, it has so much going for it for me, that I know I would love it. I just really don't want to catch up on three seasons of television at the moment. Although, I might in the summer. Because I'll have graduated and I'll probably be twiddling my thumbs for at least some of the time if the job, uh, doors..don't open.

Last edited by 'Tos; 03-14-2009 at 05:36 PM
Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
I actually have been meaning to watch FNL one of these days because of all the comparisons to Everwood (having David Hudgins probably doesn't hurt with that), Kyle Chandler, and to the use of Explosions in the Sky, who is my favourite post-rock (I don't come up with the genre names) band, and so many posters here being big fans of it..
Yes, that's why I started watching it. I read somewhere (maybe on another message board) that Everwood fans should watch FNL because it is a show that they would enjoy. They were right. It has some good family drama, characters that you really care about, stories that you really care about.....of course it has those incidental characters that you will loathe...but Everwood had those as well.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
We've really got to get you out of Texas!
Don't I know it! Stupid state ruins a show I should like, hee.

Maybe I'll give it a go on DVD at some point this summer. After I know where I'll be living come fall,
Old 03-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Elite Fan

Battlestar Galactica

I can't believe that there are only two hours left of this show. It probably won't really hit me until the credits roll next week.

This week was definitely all setup for the finale, but it still had some decent stuff. The scene with Baltar and Lee was a nice acting showcase for the both of them, and Adama and Roslin were much less annoying than usual. I personally would have cut some of the Roslin flashback stuff, but that could be because I really don't like her instead of it not contributing to the story.

Last House on the Left

I watched this movie this afternoon, and I really liked it. I don't watch a lot of this type of movie, but something about the trailer made me want to see it. I've seen the original, but it was so long ago that I can't really remember it other than I didn't care for it a whole lot.

All the acting is great, and there are several scenes that are just difficult to watch. In fact, I saw three or four people leave the theater during the rape scene, and I never saw them come back, so I guess it was too much for them. The director really went for brutal realism instead of the gore 'money-shots' that movies like Hostel and Saw have popularized. During the scenes of violence, there is no swelling music or menacing underscore, just the sounds of what is happening onscreen, which makes it that much more realistic. The closest that he comes to glorifying the violence is one of the kills when the parents are exacting their revenge. The rest of their revenge killing is more spur of the moment desperation stuff than carefully planned sadistic revenge.