Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Master Fan

OT2 Thread #15: Life After Everwood: Other Addictions (TV Shows, Books, Movies, Music)

credit: Alex

Hi guys! Welcome to the new OT2 thread #15!

This is a second OT thread that focuses on shows, books, movies and music we're now obsessed with since Everwood ended. Important: This thread is focused on promoting in depth discussion.

Reminder:
This thread is about discussing shows, books, movies, and music we love with as much insightful discussion as possible. Bring over your opinions on latest episodes, discuss characters and storylines, books you're reading, movies you're watching, music you're listening to, but please remain cordial, respect one another and refrain yourself from turning this thread into drama land.

** This board has always been very mature and we'd like it to remain this way.

With that said, and keeping that all in mind, we'd like to welcome you to this new thread!

Shows Everwood members watch :

Michelle (Wilpen) :
Lost, Brothers & Sisters, South of Nowhere, Pushing Daisies

Alexandra (buffyannAlex) :
Gilmore Girls, Lost, 24, Prison Break, Grey's Anatomy, House, Supernatural, Scrubs, Veronica Mars, Bones, (Desperate housewives), Heroes, Brothers & Sisters, Battlestar Galactica
New shows I'd check this year : Dirty Sexy Money, Bionic Woman, Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone

Ashley (AppleBehry22):
Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Nip/Tuck, Roswell, Reba, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Lost

dawnie@ :
Gilmore Girls, Lost, One Tree Hill, 24 ,Hell's Kitchen2

Angela (AngelaiDanes):
Lost, Gilmore Girls

Alan (The Crow) :
Kyle XY, Instant Star, South of Nowhere, Smallville, Supernatural, How I Met Your Mother, Bones, Lost, One Tree Hill, My Name is Earl, The Office, Without A Trace, The 4400, The Dead Zone, Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, Family Guy, Gossip Girl, Chuck, Reaper, Bionic Woman, Pushing Daisies, Friday Night Lights. Heroes, Burn Notice

Tos' :
Privileged, Mad Men, Dexter, Lost, Gossip Girl, Heroes, Brothers & Sisters, Fringe, Pushing Daisies, Dirty Sexy Money, Eli Stone, Chuck, Dollhouse, Kings.

Coffee
Watch: Prison Break, Supernatural, House, Gilmore Girls
Want to watch but always miss it: Bones, Grey's Anatomy, Veronica Mars
Future Shows, I'm planning on watching: Jericho, Heroes..

The Ken
Current: The Simpsons, Desperate Housewives, How I Met Your Mother, What About Brian, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Nip/Tuck, Lost, One Tree Hill, Smallville, The Office, The O.C., Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, South of Nowhere, Instant Star, Degrassi, Entourage, The Sopranos, Laguna Beach, Kyle XY, Psych...I think that's it.
New shows: Six Degrees, Heroes, Brothers & Sisters, Dexter, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, The Class, The Nine...

everwoodfan52 :
Brothers and Sisters, Friday Night Lights, Greys Anatomy, House, Gossip Girl, Privileged, Chuck

MrsBrown : The Office, Lost, Friday Night Lights, Brothers and Sisters, Battlestar Galactica

BepperGirl: Gossip Girl, True Blood, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, South of Nowhere, Life, Pushing Daisies, and Heroes

ShadowMagist: How I Met Your Mother, Privileged, Greek, Pushing Daisies, Smallville, Supernatural, Reaper, Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters

Thief Of Love: Mad Men, Privileged, Psych, Gilmore Girls, Life on Mars

“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Master Fan

Lots of Chuck talk ending the old thread

Bringing over the last post from the previous thread:

Quote:
Quote:
So he didn't get to hear her say that she didn't have feelings for Cole...so what? Deep down he has to know that she doesn't have any real feelings for Cole.
I'm not sure that he does, though. He never got an indication that Cole isn't Sarah's type. He kept saying "I see what you see in him" That's the thing: he still thinks that she likes the hero, the big buff guy that saves the day, guns a-blazin', but she seems to want just as normal of a life as Chuck does. With some adventure mixed in, but I don't think that's a dealbreaker with Chuck either. They just need to communicate with each other better. They defintitely were at the beginning of the season.

Quote:
P.S. Am I the only one here thinking that Orion is going to end up being Chuck's father? Cuz I think that I'm not.
*puts hand up* I thought he was going to flash on the Tron poster. Which wouldn't have made much sense, but I totally thought that was what was going to happen, hee.

Quote:
As 'Tos said: let her talk first once in awhile. Let him eavesdrop on her saying or doing something which makes him feel happy for a change, instead of always seeing or hearing the worst. Let them have a sensual slowdance together; or, God Forbid, a genuine kiss without a stumbling dismissal of their feelings afterward.

Above all Chuck is a truly nice guy. Right now the Nice Guy is always finishing last. How about letting him win the pennant for once. The tease can't go on forever. Can it?
That was what was so great about earlier in the season. Chuck was getting moments of hope and happiness with Sarah. Last night was a good (re)start, so I hope they keep it up!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm not sure that he does, though. He never got an indication that Cole isn't Sarah's type. He kept saying "I see what you see in him" That's the thing: he still thinks that she likes the hero, the big buff guy that saves the day, guns a-blazin', but she seems to want just as normal of a life as Chuck does. With some adventure mixed in, but I don't think that's a dealbreaker with Chuck either. They just need to communicate with each other better. They defintitely were at the beginning of the season.
I guess it is true that she never actually told him that she didn't have feelings for Cole, but she has made it abundantly clear that she has feelings for Chuck, and strong feelings at that. And it's not like Chuck is unaware of that fact either. The episode where Bryce came back illustrated that when she couldn't shoot the guy that was holding Chuck hostage, and after that Bryce straight up told Chuck that he thought that Sarah had feelings for Chuck. Also, Casey makes enough snide comments about the two of them that it is obvious that he can tell what's up to the point of needing to speak up repeatedly.

Chuck saw enough of Cole and Sarah's goodbye last week to see that the kiss wasn't initiated by Sarah, and she didn't leave with Cole even though Chuck clearly heard him ask her to. Plus, in season one, he knew that Bryce basically asked Sarah to go with him when he went deep undercover, and she didn't...and when she thought that she was going to die, she kissed Chuck...and she has told him that the reason they can't be together is because he is the asset, not because she doesn't like him. This doesn't add up to her just chasing whatever superspy tail shows up this week, and I think that deep down, Chuck knows the real score between the two of them, and it's obvious that everyone around them does.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

HOUSE

I would be the first to admit my TV viewing habits might be considered eccentric by some. Network episodic shows account for only about ten percent of my viewership, to go with perhaps fifty percent sports and the rest what I call "non-fiction" shows (Discovery, History Channel, etc.). I despise Reality TV and can say proudly that I haven't watched any since the very first season of Survivor.

Since I don't spend the bulk of every evening sitting slavishly in front of the screen, simple math indicates that at any given time I watch only a few (five or six) scripted weekly shows on a regular basis. These tend to be either comedies, shows containing one or more characters I find appealing, and/or the prospects of a good old-fashioned romance between characters I like. Rarely do I watch a show I consider dark. I've always said to myself if I want to see sadness, cruelty, or gratuitous violence I'll watch the news.

As a result of my viewing peculiarities there have been many, many shows over the years which have experienced either ratings and/or critical success of which I have seen nary a minute.

Every now and then, usually after stumbling across it by accident, I surprise myself and become enamored of a show far outside my usual comfort zone. Such a show is HOUSE. I knew enough previously about the show to know it wasn't my usual cup of tea. However, just before the holidays I stumbled across an episode with enough of an interesting hook that I ended up watching. I got hooked, and thanks to the old DVR, a couple of holiday marathons, and a series of repeats on USA, I've now seen perhaps half of the hundred or so episodes.

There are plenty of reasons HOUSE would normally stay far off of my short "watch list". For one, it's a medical show. Not only am I not fond of seeing someone's guts lying open on an operating table, but the inevitable "disease-of-the-week" format normally holds little interest. Secondly, Dr. Gregory House is surely one of the most miserable excuses for a human being ever to inhabit the starring role of a successful show. I mean, the man has more bad qualities than J.R. Ewing. I would need more space than I'm willing to use here, along with a couple of hours with a thesaurus to name them all. Arrogant, insulting, cold, cruel, nosy, etc., etc. Believe me, I could go on. The only redeeming quality he seems to possess is being a brilliant diagnostician. Not my idea of a fun guy.

But there are a few things which make HOUSE interesting, even at times compelling. First and foremost, the brilliance of Hugh Laurie in the title role. Laurie, an Englishman playing the quintessential Ugly American, has enjoyed many years of solid success in the U.K. However, for most of his career he primarily did comedy. How that prepared him to play House I have no idea.

The other major draw is watching House interact with his browbeaten staff, his oncologist best (and only) friend, his female boss (using the term "boss" lightly because he usually ignores her orders), his former fellows Chase and Cameron, and even occasionally a patient or family member. Also, the other characters have enough going on to prevent HOUSE from being strictly a one man band.

Being a medical show, there is a certain sameness to the diagnostic storylines of the episodes. A patient arrives whom nobody mortal can diagnose. House and his team are wrong in their first several diagnostic theories, giving plenty of time for House to insult his team, the patient's family, the patient, etc., before brilliantly solving the case in the end. But the ride is always more interesting than the destination anyway.

I also feel compelled to comment on the awesome slate of guest stars who have appeared over the first hundred shows.

I'm not quite sure what I find fascinating about this nasty S.O.B. It's partly due, I guess, to the fact that House almost always says and does exactly what he wants; a concept I find appealing. Whatever it is, I find myself watching.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You know, MAKRO, you said exactly what I said about this show on the old thread. You said it SO MUCH BETTER!!!

Quote:
I ended up watching. I got hooked, and thanks to the old DVR, a couple of holiday marathons, and a series of repeats on USA, I've now seen perhaps half of the hundred or so episodes

House is becoming like Law & Order. You can find it on any channel any time of the day.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Loyal Fan

I haven't seen Chuck yet so I'll post my thoughts when I do (probably tomorrow or so). I thought HIMYM was good last night.

Ausiello has interesting news. Apparently Friday Night Lights might be picked up for season 4 AND 5. Source: Exclusive: 'Friday Night Lights' close to scoring a renewal? | Friday Night Lights | Ausiello Files | EW.com
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan13 (View Post)
Ausiello has interesting news. Apparently Friday Night Lights might be picked up for season 4 AND 5. Source: Exclusive: 'Friday Night Lights' close to scoring a renewal? | Friday Night Lights | Ausiello Files | EW.com

Oh Dolfan, that is wonderful news! I hope it happens....such a terrific show.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Master Fan

Chuck

Quote:
. This doesn't add up to her just chasing whatever superspy tail shows up this week, and I think that deep down, Chuck knows the real score between the two of them, and it's obvious that everyone around them does.
True enough. I think that he does too. Although at times it looks like he only knows it wayyyyyy deep down, hee. In some episodes, he seems unsure of what Sarah's feelings are, and in the next episode he seems to acknowledge that he knows exactly how she feels, which just adds to the frustrating inconsistency going on at the moment.

Music (Fortunately, not muzac)

Quote:
Yeah, it's a tough one. There even used to be a B&S board on an indie music forum, and that shut down a few months ago. The moral of the story being: guys, release an album of new material already. Even just an EP! Seriously. (One more month 'til Camera Obscura's latest, though, and the first official single comes out at the end of March, I think!)
Keep me posted on that single (and the EP too, of course), because I most definitely will forget, hee. I've never been a fan for a new CO album. It's kind of exciting!

Quote:
What do you think of the two songs sung by Maureen Tucker? I'm really not crazy about them myself; the voice thing again, hee, but they also just don't sound very VU-ish. To coin a weird new word, heh.
Aw. I kind of like her! Well, I really like "After Hours". It's a pleasant, innocent song to end the album, which I think is a nice placement. The song isn't very VU-ish (heh) for sure, and if it was placed first on the album that would bug me, but last..I think it fits as a goodbye. Optimistic and nice. I can't remember if I liked "The Murder Mystery", but judging by the fact that I don't have the song, I probably didn't care for it much.

I've been in a weird non-music mood for the last few days. I think listening to "Lovefool" on loop for too much affected me, hee, but listening to The Velvet Underground again has brought me back into a music mood. *off to listen to some more*

Hey, what do you think about The Kinks, by the way? For some reason, I kind of connect them with the Velvet Underground, which makes no sense in anyone's mind except for mine because I discovered both simultaneously.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Elite Fan

That FNL news is great. I hope that it happens.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Loyal Fan

Chuck

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Good points made in the other thread. I do have to wonder about the writers (Schwartz really). When you think about it, each of his shows (The OC, Gossip Girl and Chuck) have started off strong with big first seasons and then fallen off. I guess it's too early to judge for the latter two but from what I've heard about Gossip Girl, it's pretty much true. And The OC seemingly had the quickest fall from grace for a TV show. It went from the big hit (season one) to nobody talking about it (season three on). I wonder if his shelf life for shows are short.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan13 (View Post)
Chuck

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Good points made in the other thread. I do have to wonder about the writers (Schwartz really). When you think about it, each of his shows (The OC, Gossip Girl and Chuck) have started off strong with big first seasons and then fallen off. I guess it's too early to judge for the latter two but from what I've heard about Gossip Girl, it's pretty much true. And The OC seemingly had the quickest fall from grace for a TV show. It went from the big hit (season one) to nobody talking about it (season three on). I wonder if his shelf life for shows are short.
Good point about his shows. I actually had thought that Chuck had been much better this season, before Chuck's ex showed up. And even now, it's about on par with season one, at least for me. That's still disappointing because the first bunch of episodes were so great, of course, but hopefully they can pick things up so that Chuck can actually end up improving on season one.

Stupid no Lost tonight.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Master Fan

Music

Quote:
Keep me posted on that single (and the EP too, of course), because I most definitely will forget, hee. I've never been a fan for a new CO album. It's kind of exciting!
Hey, neither have I, so we can share in the excitement! Sometimes I feel like these bands have been in my life for ages, and then I remember -- wait, I downloaded "For the Price of a Cup of Tea" last May, and "Houseboat" in August. Just goes to show what an impact they've made on my musical life, hee.

Quote:
I've been in a weird non-music mood for the last few days. I think listening to "Lovefool" on loop for too much affected me, hee, but listening to the Velvet Underground again has brought me back into a music mood. *off to listen to some more*
Heh, I've killed my mood for music before by overlistening to something. The Velvet Underground's a pretty good cure for that, though. Been on such a kick of them lately, although, while I like or love the vast majority of their songs, including the incredibly weird ones, I'm not sure I'll ever come to love anything as much as "Sunday Morning." That song just gets to me, for some reason.

Quote:
Hey, what do you think about The Kinks, by the way? For some reason, I kind of connect them with the Velvet Underground, which makes no sense in anyone's mind except for mine because I discovered both simultaneously.
Mmm, I've listened to their '60s albums, due to hearing so much about them (and because I really like their singles from that time), and I liked them perfectly well, but nothing quite grabbed me the way certain songs from other bands (like, say, VU's "Sunday Morning") did right off the bat. I wish something had, I like discussing various bands with you, hee.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Hey, neither have I, so we can share in the excitement! Sometimes I feel like these bands have been in my life for ages, and then I remember -- wait, I downloaded "For the Price of a Cup of Tea" last May, and "Houseboat" in August. Just goes to show what an impact they've made on my musical life, hee.
Wow, I hadn't realized it hadn't even been a year for B&S for you! And now you're an official member of the hardcore fan club, hee. Including getting a question answered by Stuart (I think? Someone from the band, in any event).

Quote:
Mmm, I've listened to their '60s albums, due to hearing so much about them (and because I really like their singles from that time), and I liked them perfectly well, but nothing quite grabbed me the way certain songs from other bands (like, say, VU's "Sunday Morning") did right off the bat. I wish something had, I like discussing various bands with you, hee.
Hmm. I can definitely understand that. There are some bands that I know I should like based on what I listen to (like The Clash), but..I just really can't connect to any of their songs. I really got into "Waterloo Sunset" (especially; that's my "grab" song for them, hee) and "Shangri-la" with The Kinks and it went from there.

Random Movie/TV Thoughts

I recently watched Wall-E and The Dark Knight again in the last week, my two favourites from 2008. Polar opposite movies. Wall-E was just because it's such a sweet movie and when you're being pounded on by school work, there's nothing like a love story between two robots to make you smile. The Dark Knight was because of my dad's extreme dislike of it after watching it the other day, hee. Too dark (which it really is, but that's why I love it), and he hated that that was Heath Ledger's last role, because he was running around like a nut the whole time. Literally not my father's Batman, heh. But it is mine, because I love that damn movie.

I was wondering if any of the Chuck fans had the first season DVD? I've been thinking of picking it up as a random buy. I probably will anyway, heh, but just wondering if the features are any good if anyone has it.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Wow, I hadn't realized it hadn't even been a year for B&S for you! And now you're an official member of the hardcore fan club, hee. Including getting a question answered by Stuart (I think? Someone from the band, in any event).

Hmm. I can definitely understand that. There are some bands that I know I should like based on what I listen to (like The Clash), but..I just really can't connect to any of their songs. I really got into "Waterloo Sunset" (especially; that's my "grab" song for them, hee) and "Shangri-la" with The Kinks and it went from there.

Random Movie/TV Thoughts

I recently watched Wall-E and The Dark Knight again in the last week, my two favourites from 2008. Polar opposite movies. Wall-E was just because it's such a sweet movie and when you're being pounded on by school work, there's nothing like a love story between two robots to make you smile. The Dark Knight was because of my dad's extreme dislike of it after watching it the other day, hee. Too dark (which it really is, but that's why I love it), and he hated that that was Heath Ledger's last role, because he was running around like a nut the whole time. Literally not my father's Batman, heh. But it is mine, because I love that damn movie.

I was wondering if any of the Chuck fans had the first season DVD? I've been thinking of picking it up as a random buy. I probably will anyway, heh, but just wondering if the features are any good if anyone has it.
I haven't seen Wall-E, but I've seen The Dark Knight twice. Amazing movie. Not one I can just throw in and watch over and over, but it's a great movie. The best Batman movie ever. I don't always like everything that is "too dark", but sometimes it just works. Heath Ledger was amazing. That's a performance you think of loooooooooooooong after the movie is over. So glad he won the Oscar. If only he was around to enjoy the success.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I have the first season on DVD. I picked it up on sale for $15 bucks, so it was definitely worth the money for me. I haven't watched any deleted scenes or anything, but there is a special feature Zack, Josh, and a couple of others sit around and pick out several of their favorite scenes. That one is good. The other stuff is okay, but there is a lot of repeated stuff.