Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn
Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind words. Like I said, I don't like to sound all "oh poor me" or anything, but this is a small group and knowing what we've been thru helps you to know me.
I don't think you sound like that at all. It's not like you came onto the board the first day and divulged all of that so we would pay attention to you, hee. You've waited until we already pay attention to you! Too much attention, I'd say, if this thread is any indication.

1. What is OSHA, by the way? I'm guessing some kind of labour regulatory group of some sort?
2. What kind of DVDs do your kids typically like?
3. One last Gilmore Girls question: what did you think of Christopher?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Addicted Fan

Hee.

1. What is OSHA, by the way? I'm guessing some kind of labour regulatory group of some sort? Occupational Safety and Health Administration. They basically are there to make sure your workplace is safe.

2. What kind of DVDs do your kids typically like? All of them still like "kid" movies - Disney/Pixar, Veggie Tales, the Barbie movies are usually a winner even though Nathan hates to admit it. Nathan also likes old westerns (like John Wayne flicks) and some fantasy stuff. He enjoys LotR and likes to have it playing in the background sometimes as he plays. Oh and Star Wars, he's a big SW fan. Dana gets into the American Girl movies - Kitt Kittredge, stuff like that. She also really liked Nancy Drew.

3. One last Gilmore Girls question: what did you think of Christopher? Oy. At first I really liked Christopher and thought he was the best match for Lorelai. I thought their connection was phenomenal and really believed he was the only one who "got" her rather than just tolerated her. Around S4 I started 'shipping L/L and wanted them together so that Luke could be happy if nothing else. (Big, big Luke fan here.) But Chris never completely lost me until I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia - when he came to the hospital after Lorelai had spent hours trying to contact him to let him know about her father and the first thing he did was throw a hissy fit because Luke was there...that was it. I was done trying to defend Chris.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Master Fan

I really liked Chris too early on. Haven't seen I'd Rather Be in Philadelphia yet...kind of not looking forward to it now, hee. Luke rules, though, indeed. I love his rants.

1. Would you ever got an X-Files convention?
2. Is the X-Files fandom more...less insane (heh) than other sci-fi fandoms? Because it seems like a show that drew less insane attention to itself, yes?
3. How did you and your husband come up with the names for your kids? Any particular inspirations?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Addicted Fan

1. Would you ever got an X-Files convention? Eh, probably not. I love the show and all (obviously) but that level of fandom isn't really my thing.

2. Is the X-Files fandom more...less insane (heh) than other sci-fi fandoms? Because it seems like a show that drew less insane attention to itself, yes? In my opinion, it's not as insane. 'Philes are not Trekkies or anything, heh. Honestly I don't think XF would have been nearly as popular if it weren't for the amazing connection that GA and DD had onscreen. Because I sure didn't stick around for the storylines, that I can assure you. Also I think it helps that they never tried to make an entire franchise spinoff from the show. Yeah they had the M/S action figures but I think that was kind of tongue-in-cheek more than they were actually trying to market anything toward a younger crowd.

3. How did you and your husband come up with the names for your kids? Any particular inspirations? Good question! I will freely admit Dana was named for Dana Scully. Dana is also a feminine derivative of Daniel, a Biblical prophet. Her middle name, Shelby, was a name that hubby heard and liked, and since I am also a huge Steel Magnolias fan I had no complaints. Nathan Andrew and Jacob Seth both have Biblical names.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Too much attention, I'd say, if this thread is any indication.

Taryn
, just so you know how much attention we pay to you: The other day I was in the supermarket shopping. I needed Clothes detergent. I usually buy Liquid Tide when it's on sale or any brand that is cheaper. I happened to see Gain. I have never used Gain...but I remembered that you said that you loved the smell. So...I decided that if Taryn likes it...I should try it. So, I did! Well, you are absolutely right. You should smell my sheets. I'm going to use Gain from now on.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)

Taryn
, just so you know how much attention we pay to you: The other day I was in the supermarket shopping. I needed Clothes detergent. I usually buy Liquid Tide when it's on sale or any brand that is cheaper. I happened to see Gain. I have never used Gain...but I remembered that you said that you loved the smell. So...I decided that if Taryn likes it...I should try it. So, I did! Well, you are absolutely right. You should smell my sheets. I'm going to use Gain from now on.

Glad to be of service!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Master Fan

1. Any idea what the origins of your name was from for your parents? That's always interesting too!
2. Any famous or infamous historical figures in your family tree?
3. If you could time travel to any historical time, in our lifetimes or not, what would it be and why?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Addicted Fan

1. Any idea what the origins of your name was from for your parents? That's always interesting too! I really have no idea, heh. I've never asked. My given name is Susan Danielle.

2. Any famous or infamous historical figures in your family tree? Well I know that we are distantly related to Loretta Lynn (the country singer) and we suspect we are also distantly related to Elvis Presley. My maternal great-(great?)- grandmother was a Presley from Tennessee. My sister is into geneaology but our maternal family line has been very, very difficult to trace as many of them are Native American and back then, they weren't on the record books. Beyond that, I can't really think of anyone. My paternal family is mostly Scotch/Irish and came over to the States in the late 1700s.

3. If you could time travel to any historical time, in our lifetimes or not, what would it be and why? I think I would travel to the pioneer days, not to stay because I'm too much of a wuss but I would love to see firsthand the trials that people back then faced in order to gain a better appreciation of my life today. I read the LHotP books recently, and it just blows my MIND the things people went through in order to survive no more than a century ago. The winter that they had seven months worth of blizzards, the Ingalls family literally spent their entire day every day taking turns either grinding wheat by hand so they would have bread to eat that evening, or twisting hay into sticks to act as firewood so they wouldn't freeze to death. Every. Single. Day. I can't even fathom it. I just want to truly appreciate what they went thru for the sake of the generations to come.

As a sort of a spinoff on the above comment, and I apologize in advance if I offend anyone by saying this, but this is the reason I get so very angry at the hatred I see directed at Americans so many times. Yes we Americans are proud to be American, and yes we are glad to live in one of the richest countries in the world, but it's not because we think we're so much better than everyone else, or because we think our way is right and all other ways are wrong. It's because we KNOW what it took to make this country great. This generation is living in prosperity because of the immense sacrifice of the people just a few generations back, a level of sacrifice that we cannot even truly fathom. This country wasn't built on luck, it was built on the blood and sweat of a people that have more strength than I could ever hope to have.

Um, sorry. Soapbox topic for me. I'll stop now.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Master Fan

I don't get any hatred to America/Americans either, Taryn. I've talked to enough of you and followed what goes on in the country for my adult life (it's WAY more interesting than following Canada, believe me, hee) to know how undeserved it all is.

1. What do you think about kids having cellphones? (I think I can imagine your response, hee, but I saw something on the news about a 12 year old racking up a $10,000 texting bill, so it's a relevant question!)
2. Who do you think is the greatest American in history?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Addicted Fan

1. What do you think about kids having cellphones? (I think I can imagine your response, hee, but I saw something on the news about a 12 year old racking up a $10,000 texting bill, so it's a relevant question!) I think, under normal circumstances, a kid having a cellphone is absolutely ludicrous. Once our kids are in sports or something to where they are traveling and will legitimately need to get ahold of us and won't have a way to other than a cellphone, then we will get them one of the prepaid tracfones (which is what hubby and I use) to have with them. Other than that, they will not have a cellphone until they have a job and pay for it themselves.

2. Who do you think is the greatest American in history? The greatest American? Good night. How am I supposed to answer that? I'll have to think on that one for a while.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
2. Who do you think is the greatest American in history? The greatest American? Good night. How am I supposed to answer that? I'll have to think on that one for a while.
I figured that was coming, hee. You might have to name off a list of about 100 to even try to narrow it down, eh?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Addicted Fan

Believe it or not, I have been pondering that question all day. I still don't have an answer.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
Believe it or not, I have been pondering that question all day. I still don't have an answer.
Maybe it's your hubby. He sounds kind of awesome.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Addicted Fan

Well, he's my favorite American, for sure. My favorite earthling, for that matter.

(I'm cackling at the thought of his reaction if I were to show him the last couple of posts, btw. )
Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Master Fan

Ooh, is he a blusher?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread