Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2020, 05:08 PM
Administrator

There was a great song playing in that scene too: The Only Living Boy In New York, originally done by Simon and Garfunkle. It was the perfect song for that scene.

Here's the original version of the song:

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 12-28-2020, 05:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ Love the song.

Yes, the scene was shot so perfectly. I love how Amy looks so nervous, she’s so nervous and excited.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks for sharing the song. In my recent rewatch (on Amazon Prime), S&G's music was not the background. I guess they lost the music rights (which makes sense). Does your DVD set have the correct soundtrack/music?

Also, man, season 3 was so good for Amy and Ephram (despite the cloud hanging over them). There were just some lovely scenes (despite their head colds ). I appreciated when Amy got fed up of giving up everything to support Ephram and said so; they fought, took a few days off from each other but eventually both of them came around. They had a surprisingly mature relationship at 17 I wonder if it's because they did a lot of growing up before they got together (Amy & Colin's coma/death, Amy's depression & Tommy, Ephram's mom dying/the move to Everwood/ ugh...Madison). Or if because like they mention in the flashback in season 4 they were always kinda soulmates for each other.......
Old 12-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I think it was a combination of maturity (having to grow up fast) and being Soulmates.

I also love when Amy stood up for herself there. I remember there was a mixed reaction when the episode aired live. I thought she was so deserving of owning her thoughts and feelings there. I think Ephram knew it too. They worked it out just like two people who are very meant to be would.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarianx01 (View Post)
Thanks for sharing the song. In my recent rewatch (on Amazon Prime), S&G's music was not the background. I guess they lost the music rights (which makes sense). Does your DVD set have the correct soundtrack/music?
I don't believe that it does, for the reasons that you described.

Quote:
Also, man, season 3 was so good for Amy and Ephram (despite the cloud hanging over them). There were just some lovely scenes (despite their head colds ). I appreciated when Amy got fed up of giving up everything to support Ephram and said so; they fought, took a few days off from each other but eventually both of them came around. They had a surprisingly mature relationship at 17 I wonder if it's because they did a lot of growing up before they got together (Amy & Colin's coma/death, Amy's depression & Tommy, Ephram's mom dying/the move to Everwood/ ugh...Madison). Or if because like they mention in the flashback in season 4 they were always kinda soulmates for each other.......
Yes, Season Three was wonderful for Ephram and Amy until the end of it. They were definitely mature for 17 year olds and I think it was both due to what they had been through and due to the fact that they were soulmates.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 12-29-2020, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
I think it was a combination of maturity (having to grow up fast) and being Soulmates.
Exactly.

Quote:
I also love when Amy stood up for herself there. I remember there was a mixed reaction when the episode aired live. I thought she was so deserving of owning her thoughts and feelings there. I think Ephram knew it too. They worked it out just like two people who are very meant to be would.
I was glad that Amy stood up for herself in that scene too. Ephram could be pretty selfish and single-minded at times and he needed someone to call him on his behavior sometimes. Like you've both said what's so great about Ephram and Amy is how real they felt.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Exactly.

I was glad that Amy stood up for herself in that scene too. Ephram could be pretty selfish and single-minded at times and he needed someone to call him on his behavior sometimes. Like you've both said what's so great about Ephram and Amy is how real they felt.
So real and meant to be, Ephram/Amy.

Great point about Ephram having the tendency to be selfish and single-minded. He did need someone calling him out. Amy filled that role beautifully (and you just know she would be this way in the long-term with him too). What I wonder is if Ephram was always like this (in NYC growing up) or was the selfish tendency all created from Andy's behavior when they lived in NYC and Julia's passing.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So real and meant to be, Ephram/Amy.

Great point about Ephram having the tendency to be selfish and single-minded. He did need someone calling him out. Amy filled that role beautifully (and you just know she would be this way in the long-term with him too). What I wonder is if Ephram was always like this (in NYC growing up) or was the selfish tendency all created from Andy's behavior when they lived in NYC and Julia's passing.
I think that Ephram probably always had that tendency but it was tempered by Julia, who was not only his mother but she was also the person he was closest to and she was his confidante and the person who gave him love and unconditional support. Once Julia was gone, he had no one to turn to, and right after her death, Andy moved them to somewhere where he felt he didn't fit in, but eventually he found the loving support he needed with Amy.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I think that Ephram probably always had that tendency but it was tempered by Julia, who was not only his mother but she was also the person he was closest to and she was his confidante and the person who gave him love and unconditional support. Once Julia was gone, he had no one to turn to, and right after her death, Andy moved them to somewhere where he felt he didn't fit in, but eventually he found the loving support he needed with Amy.
So nicely said. I think you’re 100% correct.

It’s funny how we both can relate to Ephram but in different ways... my mom was my Julia... the person I closest to and she was my confidante and the person who gave me love and unconditional support. Once she was gone (in human form), even if I did have others to turn to, I still felt I had no one to turn to. You can relate to Ephram being forced to move to a place you didn’t totally feel like you fit in. Jerry, how long did you know you were moving to NJ? Did you have time to digest the move? Were you more mad at your mom or dad or both?

But I think that’s precisely what happened to Ephram. I think he would be a wonderful father too. No offense, Andy, but your NYC version is something your son would go out of his way not to be like, lol.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So nicely said. I think you’re 100% correct.
Thanks!

Quote:
It’s funny how we both can relate to Ephram but in different ways... my mom was my Julia... the person I closest to and she was my confidante and the person who gave me love and unconditional support. Once she was gone (in human form), even if I did have others to turn to, I still felt I had no one to turn to.
I completely understand.

Quote:
You can relate to Ephram being forced to move to a place you didn’t totally feel like you fit in. Jerry, how long did you know you were moving to NJ? Did you have time to digest the move? Were you more mad at your mom or dad or both?
I didn't have a lot of time to absorb it. My Grandfather (my mother's father) passed away in April of 1969, and he left my mother, his only child, some money, so my parents had the money to be able to afford a down payment on a house (before that, they didn't have the money to afford a house as my father was supporting 3 kids on a subway worker's salary and my mother didn't work) so they started looking for a house that Summer and we moved in September of 1969. They moved us out just in time as our neighborhood in The Bronx was starting to go down and it got worse later on, but still, I wish that I could have finished out grammar school in New York before we moved. At first I was excited about having our own house and getting my own room, but I quickly became homesick for New York and I wasn't happy in New Jersey until I went to college. I was really mad at both my parents for moving me from New York, where I was happy, to New Jersey, where I was miserable. I think the age that I moved played a factor too, because kids at 12 and 13 and in their teenage years are meaner than they were when they were younger, especially to a shy outsider like me.

Quote:
But I think that’s precisely what happened to Ephram. I think he would be a wonderful father too. No offense, Andy, but your NYC version is something your son would go out of his way not to be like, lol.
Yes, Ephram would learn from his father's mistakes and he would be a wonderful and concerned father.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

NYC Andy was a jerk. I am always impressed at how beautifully Andy and Ephram's relationship changed throughout the years, and how Andy changed. And that even though Julia wasn't the angel Ephram saw her to be (as she was his ally, mother, friend, confidante), Andy never let the negative sway his son's opinion (truly) of her. Thats a good father. He could've said she was having an affair, going to leave me, what a bee... Instead he says something to the affect of we all make mistakes.

The beauty of Everwood I think is that it is the truth of humanity. It didn't try to be glamorous (90201, The OC, OTH) or hokey (7th Heaven). It showed us that characters, that everyone really, makes mistakes. We all screw up. Ephram, Andy, Amy, Harold, Bright, Edna, Irv (& his daughter), Rose, Delia...Nina, Jake...they all were not angel-perfect characters.

And Ephram definitely could be selfish. I'm surprised Amy didn't tell him off more

Amy and Ephram are probably the reason I love friends to lovers trope and second chance trope in romance. (I can't deal with enemies to lovers I'm sorry if I hate you, I will never want to kiss you ) For all their mismatching even Bright and Hannah were friends to lovers in a sense. Madison and Ephram my least favorite trope of all time - basically teacher student.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
NYC Andy was a jerk. I am always impressed at how beautifully Andy and Ephram's relationship changed throughout the years, and how Andy changed. And that even though Julia wasn't the angel Ephram saw her to be (as she was his ally, mother, friend, confidante), Andy never let the negative sway his son's opinion (truly) of her. Thats a good father. He could've said she was having an affair, going to leave me, what a bee... Instead he says something to the affect of we all make mistakes.

The beauty of Everwood I think is that it is the truth of humanity. It didn't try to be glamorous (90201, The OC, OTH) or hokey (7th Heaven). It showed us that characters, that everyone really, makes mistakes. We all screw up. Ephram, Andy, Amy, Harold, Bright, Edna, Irv (& his daughter), Rose, Delia...Nina, Jake...they all were not angel-perfect characters.

And Ephram definitely could be selfish. I'm surprised Amy didn't tell him off more

Amy and Ephram are probably the reason I love friends to lovers trope and second chance trope in romance. (I can't deal with enemies to lovers I'm sorry if I hate you, I will never want to kiss you ) For all their mismatching even Bright and Hannah were friends to lovers in a sense. Madison and Ephram my least favorite trope of all time - basically teacher student.
Wonderfully said.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Thanks!

I completely understand.

I didn't have a lot of time to absorb it. My Grandfather (my mother's father) passed away in April of 1969, and he left my mother, his only child, some money, so my parents had the money to be able to afford a down payment on a house (before that, they didn't have the money to afford a house as my father was supporting 3 kids on a subway worker's salary and my mother didn't work) so they started looking for a house that Summer and we moved in September of 1969. They moved us out just in time as our neighborhood in The Bronx was starting to go down and it got worse later on, but still, I wish that I could have finished out grammar school in New York before we moved. At first I was excited about having our own house and getting my own room, but I quickly became homesick for New York and I wasn't happy in New Jersey until I went to college. I was really mad at both my parents for moving me from New York, where I was happy, to New Jersey, where I was miserable. I think the age that I moved played a factor too, because kids at 12 and 13 and in their teenage years are meaner than they were when they were younger, especially to a shy outsider like me.

Yes, Ephram would learn from his father's mistakes and he would be a wonderful and concerned father.
The time you moved was very hard on a young boy, that is for sure. I think you said something key... your parents moved your family "just in time" since your neighborhood in The Bronx was going downhill and got worse. I think it was the right move and totally meant to be (from an intuitive perspective) but that didn't make it any easier on you. Did you get to visit New York from time to time over the years even if it wasn't the same as living there?

In my mind, you are Ephram in the real life story, since you and Teresa still have an Ephram/Amy happy ending. What I mean is all your moves and moments leading up to bringing you to the Houston area is why you guys met. So even this move from NY to NJ played a strong part in getting you two to meet and be together. Who knows, maybe if you would have stayed in The Bronx you might have never left. The move to NJ might have been the reason why you ended up in Houston. Sometimes we need to go on a tough path in order to get on the right path.

Last edited by jediwands; 12-30-2020 at 06:35 AM
Old 12-30-2020, 12:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:

In my mind, you are Ephram in the real life story, since you and Teresa still have an Ephram/Amy happy ending. What I mean is all your moves and moments leading up to bringing you to the Houston area is why you guys met. So even this move from NY to NJ played a strong part in getting you two to meet and be together. Who knows, maybe if you would have stayed in The Bronx you might have never left. The move to NJ might have been the reason why you ended up in Houston. Sometimes we need to go on a tough path in order to get on the right path.

This is so lovely, Michelle, I may have teared up reading it
Old 12-30-2020, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The time you moved was very hard on a young boy, that is for sure. I think you said something key... your parents moved your family "just in time" since your neighborhood in The Bronx was going downhill and got worse. I think it was the right move and totally meant to be (from an intuitive perspective) but that didn't make it any easier on you. Did you get to visit New York from time to time over the years even if it wasn't the same as living there?
I went back to The Bronx a lot in my High School years to visit my old friends. I would take the bus in from New Jersey and then take another bus in to my old neighborhood. My parents didn't know about it because I think that they would think it was dangerous for me to do that, but I never had any problems. Once I got to college I stopped going because I was happier in New Jersey and some of my old friends had moved away and we lost touch.

Quote:
That's a wonderful way of looking at it all. Thanks!

Closed Thread   Post New Thread