Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
When I said terrorism I actually meant the Cold War during 1970 between Russia and USA. Have you heard of the deadly virus Ebola or Marburg? Well the first one is creation of USA, the second one is creation of Russia. I don't call this normal.

So terrorism is this act towards innocent people, however the problem is not in the science, but the people that use it for other goals. Like everything else the problem stems from the people and the ones that pay them to do such things.

As for Saddam I totally agree with you Shu. I also have opinion on the wars now, but that's other thing. Yes most governments are corrupt and they are using the mass power to believe them.

Then again though how far is guilty the one that manipulates and the one that allows to be manipulated?

You know what pisses me more than anything? After 9/11 (where I was totally bummed for all those people) USA government has the excuse to do things that I don't like - surveillance, GPS tracking. They even follow facebook, google and forums like this. And then suddenly you might become a traitor, because you don't believe in the war. That pisses me off and that happens in a lot of countries. After this tragedy a lot of governments have excuse to do things that are not normal. I do get that sometimes is needed, but sometimes you could be blamed for being criminal just because you disagree with them and that's dictatorship.

It pains me how many countries are dictatorships, but no one get it. It's like the thing in China - I don't think that it's normal to restrict their access to normal sites like google, facebook, twitter. When you do this though it's easy to manipulate people. They have no choice, there is no way to see something different for them.

So don't worry Shu, when I said terrorism I didn't mean this popular thing that we know. I call terrorist everyone that somehow hurts innocent people no matte if it's government or not.
I totally agree with everything you just said.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Master Fan

It's just there are a lot of things that annoy me about HIV. Yes I know that this might not be the most serious issue out there, but I do think that if we people don't think about it, nothing will change.

I know that there is medication that helps them have normal life, but those pills are available in the rich countries. In Africa the things are terrible. There are a lot of sick kids and so far there are no pills for the kids. The ones they have (and there are not that many too and there is not enough for anyone) are too strong for kids. Shouldn't we care about kids?

The problem is that most medical companies think about the money. In the rich countries there are not that many sick kids, so they don't see the point in doing pills for kids that are needed for HIV therapy. Those kids are destined to die there in Africa and they simply don't care, because they won't gain money. It pisses me off, it makes me even cry while I'm writing this.

The situation in Africa is horrible (not only because of HIV, but also over all). And I know that a lot of people would say that they don't care, because that's Africa, but I think that will bite them in the butt.

Till some time ago there were only 2 strains of HIV, now there are three and the third one is far more progressive than the first two. Why? Because it was actually collaboration between the two other strains. It's not difficult for this to happen. You need two people who have the both strains of HIV and one of them to get infected with the other's one and there you have new more progressive, more dangerous one. And that one somehow at some point will go to those richer countries.

There is so many injustice out there in the world that sometimes I get sick only by thinking about it.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
It's just there are a lot of things that annoy me about HIV. Yes I know that this might not be the most serious issue out there, but I do think that if we people don't think about it, nothing will change.
We're thinking about it! But! HIV is not the only ailment out there that we should be concerned with and that we should be pouring money into.
At least HIV can be controlled with education and responsibility. Cancer, Parkinsons, etc can't.

It is the children that I feel most badly for. They are the innocent victims...born with the disease. It's very sad.

Quote:
The problem is that most medical companies think about the money.
I totally agree with this. pharmaceutical costs are horrendous.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Master Fan

I agree with you there are other diseases . I actually read that stem cell research might help cancer too. As for Parkinson I even read articles about experiments for that too. I would say the same about Alzheimer. It's awful disease too.

I do encourage every attempt to find a cure for such diseases - especially the ones that come from the DNA, because you know you are born with that and you can't change it.

I do feel badly for the children, because the most innocent ones.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Cancer prob kills more people than HIV and the treatments are poor. It scares me because my mother has had it twice and is once again I remission. The probability of my getting it is pretty high and it's such a real fear for so many people.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by covington (View Post)
Cancer prob kills more people than HIV and the treatments are poor. It scares me because my mother has had it twice and is once again I remission. The probability of my getting it is pretty high and it's such a real fear for so many people.
Yes...cancer affects many more people than HIV. My mother had Ovarian cancer with is extremely scary and hereditary.

I wish your mom the best, Shu. You just have to keep on top of your checkups.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I def do that and she is doing well now, but there are so many families in a similar situation. It's sad the lack of research there is for cancer medicines. I def think more needs to be done especially on the awareness front.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Master Fan

I agree that in cancer should be found treatment. My grandfather died of cancer, my grandmother's brother too. Well I knew a lot of people that have died from cancer.

The problem is that so far I'm not sure what could be done there. I mean basically cancer are some malicious cells in the organism. And the operation is the only way to get rid of them. I do know about attempts to create artificial organs. Maybe that might help?

They couldn't operate my grandfather, because they had to take too much. So maybe if there is a way to replace this, they could perform the surgeries?

I also know about studies that inject viruses in the cancer cells, but that is in every young, very experimental stage.

Shu
sorry about that. You might not get it, but if you take measures in time, I'm sure that you'll be fine! You know what annoys me? When my grandfather was bad, sometimes we needed to take him to the hospital. One time the doctor asked us why he care. He is going to die anyway. I was shocked that those people call themselves doctors.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I def do that and she is doing well now, but there are so many families in a similar situation. It's sad the lack of research there is for cancer medicines. I def think more needs to be done especially on the awareness front.
Do you believe the theory that there is a cancer cure out there and it's being hushed so that the Pharmaceutical can continue to make money? This theory has been around for years.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 AM
Master Fan

Hm, Betty, I believe in this for a lot of diseases.

It's like if people could have created viruses in 1970 doesn't sound logical that they could create cure? Do you think that someone would create deadly virus or disease with the risk of getting it if this one doesn't have cure? I highly doubt it.

I actually think the same way about computer viruses. I think that companies for antivirus software create them so that they could gain money.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Do you believe the theory that there is a cancer cure out there and it's being hushed so that the Pharmaceutical can continue to make money? This theory has been around for years.
Personally, I don't believe that. There may be cures for other diseases that this is true for, but I just don't believe it. One of my customers retired from doing and finding funding for cancer research, and he said that the disease mutates on a cellular level so easily that he'd be surprised if there is ever a cure ever found that will 100% destroy the disease.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I don't believe that. I just don't think that funding cancer research is that much of a priority because there may never be one way to 100% treat it, so they focus on more "treatable" diseases.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

This is a fabulous discussion. I am enjoying it.

To add one thing... my sister is a scientist (she has a double major in biology/chemistry, minor in physics and a masters in biochemistry) and does research daily on a cure for cancer. She is not working with anything stem cell related at the moment but all I know is seeing what she does for a living, I couldn't be more proud of my sister and what she is trying to accomplish. I might never tell her this but I can say it here.

Shu, great to have you on board here... stick around, we kind of like ya.

ETA: One more thing... yes, HIV is now considered more of a chronic illness than a terminal illness with all the treatments available. People are living, not dying, with the illness more times than not now which is terrific news.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
This is a fabulous discussion. I am enjoying it.

To add one thing... my sister is a scientist (she has a double major in biology/chemistry, minor in physics and a masters in biochemistry) and does research daily on a cure for cancer. She is not working with anything stem cell related at the moment but all I know is seeing what she does for a living, I couldn't be more proud of my sister and what she is trying to accomplish. I might never tell her this but I can say it here.

Shu, great to have you on board here... stick around, we kind of like ya.

ETA: One more thing... yes, HIV is now considered more of a chronic illness than a terminal illness with all the treatments available. People are living, not dying, with the illness more times than not now which is terrific news.
Glad that I'm not bugging people with my opinions. I tend to have very strong views on things whether it's politics or fandom stuff.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Glad that I'm not bugging people with my opinions. I tend to have very strong views on things whether it's politics or fandom stuff.
Oh...you are definitely the ONLY person on this board who has strong views on things.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread