Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I hope you're right, Michelle. Maybe it's different in different countries. A family member in Italy wasn't so lucky. She was on a long list for a medical procedure/test and by the time she was able to get it....her cancer had spread and there was no hope. I hope that was an isolated case...but it's scary none the less.
It is scary. I think you hit it with the different countries theory. I think that's in play. And how unfortunate for that woman in Italy. Minnesota could have great state-wide funding so there is that in play but in my mind it has to be pretty across the board from state to state. Think about what you hear the most in this country... the people who lack any kind of healthcare whatsoever suffer the most either because they are unaware of the fact that they could get it through medicaid or they are working but working just enough so they do not qualify for medicaid but their place of employment does not offer health insurance. Those are the horror stories you hear about mostly. The one girl I know at the U has Crohns disease which is not an enjoyable automimmune disease of the digestive tract... she has had two surgeries to repair obstructions and is on IV therapy off and on in hopes of easing the inflammation that this disease causes.... she honestly has never had to battle getting the IV meds or had problems with the surgeries as far as delays or anything like that. She praises the fact that she can do this, be on Minnesota Care, while attending college so she doesn't have to worry about what could happen with her illness if she had lack of coverage during this time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodian Kopite (View Post)
Matty & Michelle, bonded for life. Hee.

Quote:
They've never been in office, because none of the other parties want to work with them. This year the Conservatives (I've called them The Right earlier in this thread, which I knew sounded stupid. Forgot that the Conservatives is what they're called in English) held the door open for a coalition with them, but everyone knew they would rather work toghether with the parties in the centre, if the parties in the centre did well, and the right side beat the left side.

Anyway, it didn't happen, and once again they're out. Some might call it un-democratic that the second biggest party in the country never gets the chance, but I feel bloody relieved.
And rightfully so, you should feel extremely relieved!

I need to move to Norway. I just decided that. It is cold, you guys love hockey, and the politics, specifically entirely ignoring a certain party is sweet music to my ears! Heh.

So how often do you have elections in your country?

Last edited by jediwands; 09-15-2009 at 04:29 AM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Matty & Michelle, bonded for life. Hee.
Should Michelle & Matty get a room? JK.

I think you are totally right, Mitch about the scare tactics that republicans use on Obama's health proposals. Look at Palin, she was surely doing a ridiculous number on this very scenario. You pointed out how Minnesota Care works and people are not suffering under that plan in the least. The ones who do are the ones without insurance, and see, that is what republicans want! They want the rich with private insurance, the middle class with insurance that they have to pay a lot for, and the poor to be without insurance. Maybe it is not what they "want" literally but according to their plans that is exactly what it boils down to. They are only scaring people into believing if the government runs and helps all Americans get health insurance it will be a disaster. That is not true. I am not saying that universal health care would be perfection, per se. I am saying that what the republicans want is scary and ridiculous and would never do the average middle class, certainly not lower class, American, any good!

Quote:
I need to move to Norway. I just decided that. It is cold, you guys love hockey, and the politics, specifically entirely ignoring a certain party is sweet music to my ears! Heh.
You certainly would love all of the above!
CRFEUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFEUC (View Post)
Should Michelle & Matty get a room? JK.
Lol. Well would the room have a television that included sports channels? In particular channels for football/soccer or hockey viewing? Hee.

Quote:
I think you are totally right, Mitch about the scare tactics that republicans use on Obama's health proposals. Look at Palin, she was surely doing a ridiculous number on this very scenario. You pointed out how Minnesota Care works and people are not suffering under that plan in the least. The ones who do are the ones without insurance, and see, that is what republicans want! They want the rich with private insurance, the middle class with insurance that they have to pay a lot for, and the poor to be without insurance. Maybe it is not what they "want" literally but according to their plans that is exactly what it boils down to. They are only scaring people into believing if the government runs and helps all Americans get health insurance it will be a disaster. That is not true. I am not saying that universal health care would be perfection, per se. I am saying that what the republicans want is scary and ridiculous and would never do the average middle class, certainly not lower class, American, any good!
Yes, yes, and more yes.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Lol. Well would the room have a television that included sports channels? In particular channels for football/soccer or hockey viewing? Hee.
Are you kidding me?! You won't need a room or a TV. Matty would fly you to England often to watch soccer matches in person....but....you would definitely have to become a Liverpool fan! And you may have to develop more of a liking for beer.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Are you kidding me?! You won't need a room or a TV. Matty would fly you to England often to watch soccer matches in person....but....you would definitely have to become a Liverpool fan! And you may have to develop more of a liking for beer.
True!

Well, the becoming a Liverpool fan would be quite easy as well as the awesomeness of heading to England to watch soccer in person.... the liking beer might take some time. Could I maybe switch it up and try to like wine because that might be more realistic? Or I could just learn to enjoy watching Matty guzzle the beer? He might drink so much he is drinking for two anyway so we're covered.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Mitch, you will never like alcohol no matter what, babe!

Hey Betty... I hate putting you on the spot but I wondered about this ever since you commented very generally about it... you said you were a moderate... would you mind discussing some of your views that you feel strongly about? If not, it's cool, moderate it is. Hee. LOL.

I respect your way of going with politics, judging the man/woman, not belonging to a party. I think it's neat.

For me even if I tried to do that I would still always end up being in the Liberal party, hee, but I admire people who are very independent in their choices.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFEUC (View Post)
:
Hey Betty... I hate putting you on the spot but I wondered about this ever since you commented very generally about it... you said you were a moderate... would you mind discussing some of your views that you feel strongly about? If not, it's cool, moderate it is. Hee. LOL.

I respect your way of going with politics, judging the man/woman, not belonging to a party. I think it's neat.

For me even if I tried to do that I would still always end up being in the Liberal party, hee, but I admire people who are very independent in their choices.
I discussed this last year (before your time, Cleveland), but I don't mind explaining it again.
By moderate I mean that I have conservative views and I have liberal views. I don't have a knee-reaction need to vote for a Democrat (as most liberals do) or to vote for a Republican (as most conservatives do.() As I told you, Cleveland, I voted for Bush in the last election and for Obama in this one. I don't honestly believe that a liberal would ever vote for Bush or a true conservative would ever vote for Obama. I kind of believe that Moderates are more open minded and look at the whole picture . Of course there are exceptions to this. I kind of wish that all Americans were moderate because I really feel that more good things would be accomplished...rather than all of this Partisan nonsense.

My moderate views:
Conservative- I believe in a strong military defense, Law and order (capital punishment), more control at our borders.

Liberal- I believe in a woman's right to choose, Gay rights/marriage, and government assistence for people in need (who are trying to get ahead, but can't.)
I don't believe in helping people who are lazy and milking our system.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Betty, what are your thoughts on economic issues? Is it fair to say you lean more towards a democratic approach but with a conservative approach mixed in there in that you want assistance only for those in need and are trying to better their situation but the key is moving forward trying to do so, not just settling with help, sitting back passively without a plan?

Do you have views on which party better handles the economy overall?

I think you're bang on by saying that a true liberal would never vote conservative and the other way around.

I also agree with your theory that all Americans are better off taking a moderate approach because it gets away from this partisan BS and accomplishment overall would increase.

Have you ever voted for an independent candidate? For that matter, who have you voted for historically if I can ask? Have you overall voted for democratic or republican candidates more or about the same?

Last edited by jediwands; 09-16-2009 at 12:22 PM
Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Betty, what are your thoughts on economic issues? Is it fair to say you lean more towards a democratic approach but with a conservative approach mixed in there in that you want assistance only for those in need and are trying to better their situation but the key is moving forward trying to do so, not just settling with help, sitting back passively without a plan?
Oh definitely. People who are in dire straights must be assisted. But, as you said...the parties involved can't just give up and not keep trying to get out of their hole and just accept their fate of permanently becoming an economic drain on society. I believe that welfare recipients should be given jobs to do in their community with or without pay as a payback for the help that is being given and to give them some self respect. Mothers on welfare should set up a daycare for each other (to watch each others' kids) so that some of the moms will be able to get jobs and not worry about leaving their children.
Quote:
Do you have views on which party better handles the economy overall?
Well, I have to say that history and statistics do show that Democrats handle the economy better. Score one for you guys.

Quote:
Have you ever voted for an independent candidate
?
No.

Quote:
For that matter, who have you voted for historically if I can ask? Have you overall voted for democratic or republican candidates more or about the same?
I would say that my voting record is about equal.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Oh definitely. People who are in dire straights must be assisted. But, as you said...the parties involved can't just give up and not keep trying to get out of their hole and just accept their fate of permanently becoming an economic drain on society. I believe that welfare recipients should be given jobs to do in their community with or without pay as a payback for the help that is being given and to give them some self respect. Mothers on welfare should set up a daycare for each other (to watch each others' kids) so that some of the moms will be able to get jobs and not worry about leaving their children.
Why are you not in politics? You have much knowledge geared towards making a huge dent in this way, helping to solve some of these complicated issues in such a wonderful fashion.

Seriously, your thoughts are quite sound and make so much sense!

I think this is where the problem comes in... the liberal approach makes sure no one is left behind but the ones receiving funding can get too comfortable with what they are receiving so they are not motivated to better themselves whenever they are just getting by and to some, that is enough. Thus, they go into lazy mode.

Whereas the conservative approach tries to force the poor TO get off that lazy couch by sending some tough love... not allowing this funding and making them squirm in order to force action. The problem here is there are many that cannot do this on their own... they need help or they need assistance WHILE trying to better their situation, and the options you gave are realistic and promising.

This is where I think President Obama is a bit different in that did you see how he has this big thing about getting women back into college? Every woman, he wants to get them into college so they can better their future and provide for themselves no matter what their situation is. I like this idea a lot. Sure, there might be more government assistance this way but in the end, there are perfect outcomes taking place once their degrees are soundly in the hands of these women.

Quote:
Well, I have to say that history and statistics do show that Democrats handle the economy better. Score one for you guys.
LOL!

Quote:
?
No.
LOL! What do you mean by the question mark there? Do you mean it's a ridiculous question or you don't know what I am asking? Both can apply here since it's me we are talking about.

Quote:
I would say that my voting record is about equal.
Cool.

In the end do you feel for the most part you are satisfied with your choices, minus Bush second term or maybe Bush first term, I am not sure if both apply here? Hee.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
LOL! What do you mean by the question mark there? Do you mean it's a ridiculous question or you don't know what I am asking? Both can apply here since it's me we are talking about.
The question mark is an accident! I forgot to erase it from the previous question.

Quote:
In the end do you feel for the most part you are satisfied with your choices, minus Bush second term or maybe Bush first term, I am not sure if both apply here? Hee.
I am pleased with all of my selections except for Bush's second term.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Mitch covered everything I wanted to know! She's good like that.

Thanks for explaining, Betty. I admire your independent thinking and your ideas are superb!

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch
I think this is where the problem comes in... the liberal approach makes sure no one is left behind but the ones receiving funding can get too comfortable with what they are receiving so they are not motivated to better themselves whenever they are just getting by and to some, that is enough. Thus, they go into lazy mode.

Whereas the conservative approach tries to force the poor TO get off that lazy couch by sending some tough love... not allowing this funding and making them squirm in order to force action. The problem here is there are many that cannot do this on their own... they need help or they need assistance WHILE trying to better their situation, and the options you gave are realistic and promising.
Have to say this is so good. I agree completely.

Which is why, for me, I go with the liberal approach because you can ADD ON to that approach whereas the conservative approach sucks from the start IMO. There is no adjusting, if you will.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:

So how often do you have elections in your country?
Every fourth year there is the parliament election(next one up in 2013), and every fourth year there are local elections in each county, choosing the people to make desicions on local matters(next one up in 2011).

The parliament election is of course the big one.

Quote:
True!

Well, the becoming a Liverpool fan would be quite easy as well as the awesomeness of heading to England to watch soccer in person.... the liking beer might take some time. Could I maybe switch it up and try to like wine because that might be more realistic? Or I could just learn to enjoy watching Matty guzzle the beer? He might drink so much he is drinking for two anyway so we're covered.
Hahahaha

I don't mind you not drinking as long as you're not stopping me from doing it.

And of course you'd enjoy watching me pouring down the liquid gold. Funny things will happen, and you'd hear a lot of very deep philosophy. It's quite a beautiful sight if I'm being honest.

So, when are you moving over? I'm gonna need someone new to share expenses with, becuase my flat-mate got a girlfriend a month ago and I'll be thrown out and replaced by her in a few months because he owns the place.

And of course you'll have to become a Liverpool fan. The girl I've told you about wasn't, and you all know how that ended!

Oh, and if you're quick you'll get to go to Budapest in Hungary with me in November, to watch Liverpool play Debreceni away
Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodian Kopite (View Post)
Every fourth year there is the parliament election(next one up in 2013), and every fourth year there are local elections in each county, choosing the people to make desicions on local matters(next one up in 2011).

The parliament election is of course the big one.
That's so interesting.

How big are Norwegians into the politics of your country? Do you get a good voter turn out?

Quote:
Hahahaha

I don't mind you not drinking as long as you're not stopping me from doing it.
Never. I will laugh, cheer you on, and even hold your beer bottle, or er, keg for you.

Quote:
And of course you'd enjoy watching me pouring down the liquid gold. Funny things will happen, and you'd hear a lot of very deep philosophy. It's quite a beautiful sight if I'm being honest.
This sounds absolutely intriguing! I love deep philosophy! I am getting more and move tempted by the minute!

Quote:
So, when are you moving over? I'm gonna need someone new to share expenses with, becuase my flat-mate got a girlfriend a month ago and I'll be thrown out and replaced by her in a few months because he owns the place.

And of course you'll have to become a Liverpool fan. The girl I've told you about wasn't, and you all know how that ended!

Oh, and if you're quick you'll get to go to Budapest in Hungary with me in November, to watch Liverpool play Debreceni away

How on EARTH did this girl not jump on all of what you can offer her? I am astounded because this sounds lovely! Oh well, the way I see it? Her loss is clearly my gain.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Matty, you're hitting Michelle right where she has lots of loves in soccer/football, philosophy, holding your keg you're drinking out of...

Also, do you have a picture or an article somewhere on the party that won this election? Would love to see it.
Reply   Post New Thread