Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2021, 07:43 AM
Extreme Fan

I came across an interesting perspective, rarely talked about. I have also said on a few occasions this is how the series should have ended. The below article is the first time I haver seen this in print, but not for the reasons stated by the author.

Quote:
ken Up Already

By Amy Mackelden
April 14, 2016

I am obsessed with Dawson's Creek. I have a Dawson's Creek fan club mug on my shelf, and a box set of novelizations of the series. My love for the show is real. I cried for approximately an hour when the series ended, and I've re-watched it countless times since then. Which is why it might surprise readers to hear my theory about the show's most beloved couple (after Jen and Jack, of course). But if there was ever a Dawson's Creek revival, and in the age of Netflix we all know that's possible, I think that Joey and Pacey will have split up already, after reuniting for the umpteenth time in the Season 6 finale. Don't hate me! I have my reasons.

The chemistry between Joey Potter and Pacey Witter was always undeniable. Even as early as Season 1, Pacey tried to kiss Joey during a field trip, and their endless insults about one another were more than a little suspect. So when they finally hooked up in Season 3, much to Dawson's lament, Dawson's Creek finally felt complete. But nothing ever lasts in life, and the two broke up in Season 4, making everyone in the world, including me, completely miserable. So, even though I love Joey and Pacey as a couple, why do I think they would have already be broken up if there was ever a reunion?

The chemistry between Joey and Pacey was completely different from the chemistry between Joey and Dawson. There was always something more animal about the connection Joey had with Pacey, and this was evidenced whenever the pair were together. Sure, Joey and Dawson grew up together, and could talk about anything, but Pacey was there for Joey in a way that no-one else was.

Why, then, wouldn't Joey and Pacey be together in a revival? And before anyone tries to start a fight, I should clarify that I definitely don't think that Joey should be with Dawson, either. Those two are way better as friends, and at this point feel much more like brother and sister than lovers.

The person I think Joey Potter should be with is...

Eddie! Played by Oliver Hudson, Eddie was hot, mysterious, and a writer. He was also someone that Joey really let herself go with. He was the first person she had sex with before they were even in an official relationship together, something that Joey Potter would never usually do. He helped her be more relaxed in herself, to live in the moment, and to explore her writing. When you think about it, Eddie is a big part of the reason that Joey went into a career in publishing after college, because his work inspired her so much.

I know that Eddie was unreliable, and left on several occasions. But, at the end of Season 5, before the flash forward finale, Eddie came back. Pacey and Joey had decided to get back together and give their relationship another chance. But then Eddie returned, and Joey chose him instead. Call me crazy, but I think her choice means something. That she should be with Eddie and not Pacey.

If there was ever a Dawson's Creek reunion, I'd be placing my bets on a stand-off between Eddie and Pacey taking place. I'd also put money on Eddie having written a novel about Joey (Jess and Rory, anyone?) and realizing that he needs to be with her, like, immediately. Of course, Joey would get Eddie's book published, and they'd live happily ever after. Or you know, something like that.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Eddie was a cynical attempt on the writers' part to combine the "Bad Boy" qualities of Pacey with the intellectual qualities of Dawson. They even had Audrey call him the "T1 of boyfriends."

Joey freaked out because Dawson was seeing someone when they slept together, yet she had sex with Eddie right away and went across the country to see him during a school year, so once again she proved herself to be a huge hypocrite.

Another problem was that Oliver Hudson couldn't act worth a damn, so his scenes with Joey were cringe-worthy, because you had a bad actor matched up with a mediocre actress, so it was impossible to like them together despite all the attempts on the writers' part to shove them down our throats.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04-09-2021, 10:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I hated Eddie because the actor was horrible. That really sums up my thoughts on Eddie. OH made Katie look like a good actor by comparison and we know she was average at best on a good day. Putting the two together was even more painful as a result. I also never saw anything significant between Joey and Eddie. She was with him because she couldn't be with Dawson during that time period. She dumped Pacey for Eddie but would have dumped Pacey for anyone at that point. Eddie isn't special even in this case.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:03 AM
Administrator

When you really think about it, Joey treated both Dawson and Pacey like crap, and she broke up with both of them in a very cold manner, but they still worshiped the ground she walked on, and the last episode was devoted to seeing who she would end up with. I'll never understand it.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04-09-2021, 02:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Throw in Dawson a successful Hollywood director who could date pretty much anyone he desired (or numerous options) and Pacey once having the best thing that ever happened to him in Andie.

Yet they both were supposedly hung up on Joey. What a joke.

The more I talk about this and the more I rewatch Everwood, the more I laugh over the differences between both shows... one was a superficial nighttime soap opera that had zero continuity and the other was a critically acclaimed high quality substance-filled series people with knowledge are STILL talking about while praying for a reboot/revival/movie.

It’s like trying to compare in MLB, the Milwaukee Brewers who have never won a World Series to the New York Yankees who have won 27.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:43 PM
Extreme Fan

The reason I thought Joey and Eddie would make a good match is the following.

Both are stuck on themselves, arrogant, conceited, and think their crap doesn't stink......

See a match made in heaven.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Throw in Dawson a successful Hollywood director who could date pretty much anyone he desired (or numerous options) and Pacey once having the best thing that ever happened to him in Andie.

Yet they both were supposedly hung up on Joey. What a joke.

The more I talk about this and the more I rewatch Everwood, the more I laugh over the differences between both shows... one was a superficial nighttime soap opera that had zero continuity and the other was a critically acclaimed high quality substance-filled series people with knowledge are STILL talking about while praying for a reboot/revival/movie.

It’s like trying to compare in MLB, the Milwaukee Brewers who have never won a World Series to the New York Yankees who have won 27.
That's a good analogy!

Old 04-09-2021, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL22 (View Post)

Both are stuck on themselves, arrogant, conceited, and think their crap doesn't stink......

True point! And the actors who play them can't act!

Old 04-10-2021, 07:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL22 (View Post)

I see your angle... I like it. Makes sense.

Dawson gets to either be single and happy or find someone else who doesn't drive him crazy and Pacey can reunite with Andie, the only girl that ever brought out the best in him.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
That's a good analogy!
LOL!
Old 04-11-2021, 01:04 PM
Extreme Fan

JJ acting in the S2 finale when he cry’s about missing Andie always makes me cry. They truly were the love story of S2.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200 (View Post)
JJ acting in the S2 finale when he cry’s about missing Andie always makes me cry. They truly were the love story of S2.
They really were.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I don’t understand how the writers could destroy the PA love story. How could they understand their S2 story and then proceed to destroy them. Hills and valleys? Sure. Like, I could have seen them having some issues in S3 after Andie returned. I could see Andie wanting time to breathe given what she went through healing her body and mind. There’s lots of ways to create a temporary wedge and drama for them that would have been realistic and interesting.

Instead, they ripped apart the only pure thing about S2 and shattered it into tiny pierces so it could never be put back together. All because the writers had an obsession with Katie as Joey and they needed her to be the star. They read social media and knew JJ as Pacey was popular so the IT girl needed paired with him.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
I don’t understand how the writers could destroy the PA love story. How could they understand their S2 story and then proceed to destroy them. Hills and valleys? Sure. Like, I could have seen them having some issues in S3 after Andie returned. I could see Andie wanting time to breathe given what she went through healing her body and mind. There’s lots of ways to create a temporary wedge and drama for them that would have been realistic and interesting.

Instead, they ripped apart the only pure thing about S2 and shattered it into tiny pierces so it could never be put back together. All because the writers had an obsession with Katie as Joey and they needed her to be the star. They read social media and knew JJ as Pacey was popular so the IT girl needed paired with him.
I think it was also because Williamson left and Stupin and whatever writer they had hired wanted to turn the show on its head and make everyone act in uncharacteristic ways, and it failed miserably.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I think it was also because Williamson left and Stupin and whatever writer they had hired wanted to turn the show on its head and make everyone act in uncharacteristic ways, and it failed miserably.
It literally paralyzed any future career all for a teen soap he had the keys to drive... and he drove it off a cliff.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread