Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I have spent a good chunk of my weekend prepping for tomorrow. I am excited/nervous to meet a bunch of eight year olds.
Good luck Shu! Keep us posted on how it goes!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I have not talked to them, but it seems like they are doing good. Meaning normal.
So the one guy cousin still sucks but he's handling it okay, lol.

Quote:
Yeah .

For now I would not say that I have been in a situation where I would feel him around me. I have had some weird cases where I thought that there was someone not out of this world but outside of this no. But then again I have not been that open or conscious about it either so most probably it's also about opening myself so that I could feel him really.
Bingo. It's definitely about you opening yourself up to it. If you did, the floodgates would open.

Have you had any interesting dreams lately?

How's work going this week?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Wow those are a lot of games and baseball games do last more than soccer game. At least this is the impression I have had.
You are definitely right. Baseball games last much longer. Then again, college football games probably last the longest and no one complains because it's football. I just watched a college football game that didn't even have an OT and it was over four hours long. Baseball games average about 3 hours without extra innings. Extra innings increases the time.

Quote:
Same for me. Talking about meetings today I have one hell of agenda:

9:30-10:00 -> meeting with my project manager to discuss a task
10:00-11:00-> meeting with Bulgarian and French people discussing testing
11:00-13:00-> planing for our next cycle (we plan a set of tasks each 6 weeks)
14:00-15:00-> interview
15:00-16:00-> Demo meeting (each 2 weeks the joint French-Bulgarian team demonstrates what they have done)
16:00-18:00-> retrospective meeting (each 2 weeks the joint French-Bulgarian team has meeting to reflect on the past two weeks, to discuss what's been good and what needs to be improved)

And the day basically ends there. No time for me to actually work .
Wow!!!!! Let me know how the meetings go.

Quote:
Yes we would end the school year earlier . But overall the studying experience is quite different in those two universities. For example for us the attendance was mandatory for all lectures and labs. Not that I have been to all, but I compensated my absence with studying on my own and doing my homework and labs and even doing more complex projects compared to what is required. On the other hand in this other university professors do not care if you are there or not.

We had only written exams. Well excluding the German language where they do have to check speaking comprehension. But yeah all other exams were written. In this other university you always have two parts exams - written and verbal.

The last thing was not even specific for my university, but just for my faculty/school. In most places the written exams are topics on which people should write. So it's theory based and you are expected to write like 3-4 pages. Well most of my exams were task oriented. I would have short 1 hour exam with say 10 tasks to solve where you really need to know the theory well. I was even allowed to use my books and notes during exams. But that's solely specific only for my faculty. It's because we are influenced by the German schooling.

Still I consider myself lucky because this is the system that works for me. I hate memorizing long written texts. I love solving tasks so this worked out awesome for me. I also hate verbal exams .

Did you have verbal exams and how did you feel about them?
Interesting how it's different. I would say that's very close to how it is here too. Different colleges have their own set of rules. Also, it depends on how big the college is too. Like, a private, smaller college would care more about attendance whereas a general psychology class at the U might have 300 people in it where it's just straight up lecture and all the professors care about is getting the material somehow and showing up for tests. It depends for sure.

I am with you on hating verbal exams. No thanks, hate them. LOL The only type of verbal exams I had were basically while obtaining my Masters Degree. Not so much Bachelors. That wasn't so bad because for my Masters it was a very individualized program and the verbal tests I had were basically one on one with the teacher. But mostly I had research papers, stuff like that. Everything was pretty independent study mostly.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
So the one guy cousin still sucks but he's handling it okay, lol.
I have not talked to him, but we generally talk to each other only if we are by chance at the same place. I don't have even have his phone number. We just don't have a lot in common and we don't talk a lot.

I talk more to my other cousin. We do have each other phone numbers and he at least calls for my birthday plus we have a lot more in common. And we just know each other better. This is the guy that lived with me for a while.

Quote:
Bingo. It's definitely about you opening yourself up to it. If you did, the floodgates would open.
Most probably .

Quote:
Have you had any interesting dreams lately?
Interesting not. I have had dreamt more my classmates from high school this year. But last night I was reading a post in this thread in my dream . It was in English of course and for some reason Betty was surprised about internship your niece Anna took. It was really weird . No idea why I dreamt about this .

Quote:
How's work going this week?
Lots of meetings. Also unfortunately for me the CTO of the German company wants me for 2 weeks in France. No idea why everyone is bent on me being there for 2 weeks. He told the co-worker that is coordinating the trip organization that he would take care of part of the discussions so that I could get the access I need. I basically had like quite extensive list of tools that I need there to be able to work there. And the French guys were like that's impossible. And my stance is that I can't do my work without that stuff. And I really can't.

Last edited by secretk; 09-05-2017 at 01:43 AM
Old 09-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
You are definitely right. Baseball games last much longer. Then again, college football games probably last the longest and no one complains because it's football. I just watched a college football game that didn't even have an OT and it was over four hours long. Baseball games average about 3 hours without extra innings. Extra innings increases the time.
Quite long games. Europeans are not used to this, but I think that you are. I mean it's part of your culture. Europeans are the other way around. They are trying to shorten out the games . Volleyball used to be quite longer game compared to now.

Quote:
Wow!!!!! Let me know how the meetings go.
Thanks I will.

Quote:
Interesting how it's different. I would say that's very close to how it is here too. Different colleges have their own set of rules. Also, it depends on how big the college is too. Like, a private, smaller college would care more about attendance whereas a general psychology class at the U might have 300 people in it where it's just straight up lecture and all the professors care about is getting the material somehow and showing up for tests. It depends for sure.
What about your college? Did they care about attendance or not? Also did you attend all classes? I personally stopped attending once I started working. It was impossible to go to classes and have 8 hours work day.

Quote:
I am with you on hating verbal exams. No thanks, hate them. LOL The only type of verbal exams I had were basically while obtaining my Masters Degree. Not so much Bachelors. That wasn't so bad because for my Masters it was a very individualized program and the verbal tests I had were basically one on one with the teacher. But mostly I had research papers, stuff like that. Everything was pretty independent study mostly.
Your master degree sounds great! I like this education system. We had more research stuff to do in our master degree as well . I liked them . I actually overcompensated there as well . For example we had a subject where we had to prepare presentation on research topic and a project do where we had to come up with small entities to classify. Well I was generally interested in the subject because it's used in bioinformatics so my project was to classify different tumor types (I would come up with tree hierarchy of different tumors and show how they are related to each other). My project was a lot more extensive than what she had required from us. She was so impressed with my initiative that she basically said that I don't need to work on a presentation.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Awe, good luck!

How has work been before this time? Do you like your co-workers?
It's been interesting. My team teacher is fantastic. If anything it allows me to embrace my inner craft person. I am on a break now and will be teaching 2 and 3 period. The way the schedule is layed out works really well.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

Interesting not. I have had dreamt more my classmates from high school this year. But last night I was reading a post in this thread in my dream . It was in English of course and for some reason Betty was surprised about internship your niece Anna took. It was really weird . No idea why I dreamt about this .
I am often part of people's weird dreams.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I have not talked to him, but we generally talk to each other only if we are by chance at the same place. I don't have even have his phone number. We just don't have a lot in common and we don't talk a lot.

I talk more to my other cousin. We do have each other phone numbers and he at least calls for my birthday plus we have a lot more in common. And we just know each other better. This is the guy that lived with me for a while.
That's great. I am the same way with my cousins. Some, I kind of wish I didn't know, and others, I really like. Kris is the same way with our cousins. Family is family, but we don't all have to greatly like each other either, lol.

Quote:
Most probably .

That's really interesting! Do you know what kind of internship Anna took?

Quote:
Lots of meetings. Also unfortunately for me the CTO of the German company wants me for 2 weeks in France. No idea why everyone is bent on me being there for 2 weeks. He told the co-worker that is coordinating the trip organization that he would take care of part of the discussions so that I could get the access I need. I basically had like quite extensive list of tools that I need there to be able to work there. And the French guys were like that's impossible. And my stance is that I can't do my work without that stuff. And I really can't.
Why were the French guys saying that's impossible?

Wow, so 2 weeks. Alone or with others?
Old 09-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Quite long games. Europeans are not used to this, but I think that you are. I mean it's part of your culture. Europeans are the other way around. They are trying to shorten out the games . Volleyball used to be quite longer game compared to now.
There's definitely a difference. I actually like both, I am split, I like some games that are fast (soccer, college basketball which is my favorite sport to watch) and I do appreciate the longer games too, especially football games.

Quote:
Thanks I will.

What about your college? Did they care about attendance or not? Also did you attend all classes? I personally stopped attending once I started working. It was impossible to go to classes and have 8 hours work day.
For my Bachelors I went to a smaller private Catholic college so attendance was mandatory in most of my classes. The class size was smaller too. For my Masters it was very different... like you, I was also working and not in class all that much which I loved, lol. Also, some courses were just independent research courses too... my favorite kind.

Quote:
Your master degree sounds great! I like this education system. We had more research stuff to do in our master degree as well . I liked them . I actually overcompensated there as well . For example we had a subject where we had to prepare presentation on research topic and a project do where we had to come up with small entities to classify. Well I was generally interested in the subject because it's used in bioinformatics so my project was to classify different tumor types (I would come up with tree hierarchy of different tumors and show how they are related to each other). My project was a lot more extensive than what she had required from us. She was so impressed with my initiative that she basically said that I don't need to work on a presentation.
That's awesome!!!! I can just feel and see your creative mind at work with this subject area. So great that she was so impressed you didn't have to work on a presentation. That's so great. She probably figured you could teach the course or this subject area instead, you didn't need to present or demonstrate that you knew your stuff because you probably knew more than most of the professors.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
It's been interesting. My team teacher is fantastic. If anything it allows me to embrace my inner craft person. I am on a break now and will be teaching 2 and 3 period. The way the schedule is layed out works really well.
Nice! Hope today continues to be great!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I am often part of people's weird dreams.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
That's great. I am the same way with my cousins. Some, I kind of wish I didn't know, and others, I really like. Kris is the same way with our cousins. Family is family, but we don't all have to greatly like each other either, lol.
Agree with you on this . Do you have differences with Kris as far as liking cousins and getting along with them?

Quote:
That's really interesting! Do you know what kind of internship Anna took?
It was not mentioned. It was a place with two words. It was "the" something. The first word started with F, the second I don't remember. It was weird because to Betty it looked like it was all of the sudden and not thought trough so she was expressing surprise that Anna would make rash decision and do something not fully prepared. Like I said the dream was weird as usual .
Quote:
Why were the French guys saying that's impossible?
It's a lot of work for them to provide me access to all of that.

Quote:
Wow, so 2 weeks. Alone or with others?
One week with others and one alone.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
There's definitely a difference. I actually like both, I am split, I like some games that are fast (soccer, college basketball which is my favorite sport to watch) and I do appreciate the longer games too, especially football games.
Makes sense . I have like slight ADHD and nothing can hold my interest for long .
Quote:
For my Bachelors I went to a smaller private Catholic college so attendance was mandatory in most of my classes. The class size was smaller too. For my Masters it was very different... like you, I was also working and not in class all that much which I loved, lol. Also, some courses were just independent research courses too... my favorite kind.
When did you start working and what was your first job?

Quote:
That's awesome!!!! I can just feel and see your creative mind at work with this subject area. So great that she was so impressed you didn't have to work on a presentation. That's so great. She probably figured you could teach the course or this subject area instead, you didn't need to present or demonstrate that you knew your stuff because you probably knew more than most of the professors.
Nah, it wasn't so much that I knew more than her than the fact that I really cared about the subject and what is the benefits. Basically we were studying something and most of the people were "meh". I was excited because I knew how it can be used in bioinformatics so I had the motivation to do more. Then again I kind of motivated myself because it was about my own interest in some area.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Agree with you on this . Do you have differences with Kris as far as liking cousins and getting along with them?
Nope. It's amazing but we are close with the same cousins, distant with the same cousins.

Quote:
It was not mentioned. It was a place with two words. It was "the" something. The first word started with F, the second I don't remember. It was weird because to Betty it looked like it was all of the sudden and not thought trough so she was expressing surprise that Anna would make rash decision and do something not fully prepared. Like I said the dream was weird as usual .
This is so funny.

Quote:
It's a lot of work for them to provide me access to all of that.
Oh okay, so we're back to the laziness with this group once again.

Quote:
One week with others and one alone.
Man, it appears as if that's what's going to happen. Would you be with someone the first week and alone the second or the other way around?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Makes sense . I have like slight ADHD and nothing can hold my interest for long .

Quote:
When did you start working and what was your first job?
I actually worked throughout my Bachelors at a funeral home with a bunch of my cousins. We know the family who owns the funeral parlor. They are a very nice Italian family we've known for years. It was nice because they allowed us to work funerals (we would park cars or greet the people when they entered) and hours were adjusted to college school schedule or whatever else we needed off for. If we wanted extra hours they would always let us work too, even probably making room to pay for work when they didn't have to. Very nice situation I had back home in Cleveland.

For my Masters I immediately got hired in a research lab at the U of M. I basically worked under a Psychologist and helped getting research labs started then worked my way up to basically having the same position the psychologist has, plus a few other duties as well such as teaching/the business/grant side of it, lectures/speaking. Very early on in my Masters I also did some counseling in a clinical setting too.

Quote:
Nah, it wasn't so much that I knew more than her than the fact that I really cared about the subject and what is the benefits. Basically we were studying something and most of the people were "meh". I was excited because I knew how it can be used in bioinformatics so I had the motivation to do more. Then again I kind of motivated myself because it was about my own interest in some area.
That's really great.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread