Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Pretty illustrations
Old 10-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Moderator Manager

I have lost track of all the new illustrations for the books actually. Even though I prefer the original ones, the new covers are not that bad.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
SnitchSeeker: What medium do you use to create your illustrations?

Jim Kay: I use anything that makes a mark – I am not fussy. So I don’t rely on expensive watercolour or paints, although I do occasionally use them – I like to mix them up with cheap house paint, or wax crayons. Sometimes in a local DIY store I’ll see those small tester pots of wall paint going cheap in a clear-out sale, and I’ll buy stacks of them, and experiment with painting in layers and sanding the paint back to get nice textures. The line is almost always pencil, 4B or darker, but the colour can be a mixture of any old paint, watercolour, acrylic, and oil. Diagon Alley was unusual in that I digitally coloured the whole illustration in order to preserve the pencil line drawing. I’d recommend experimenting; there is no right or wrong way to make an illustration, just do what works for you!

SnitchSeeker: How many illustrations did you initially do for the book, and how many of those appeared in the final edition?

Kay: There are stacks of concept drawings that no one will ever see, such as the Hogwarts sketches, which I needed to do in order to get my head around the book. Then there are rough drawings, then rough drawings that are worked up a little more, and then it might take five or six attempts for each illustration to get it right.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone artist Jim Kay talks illustrations for new book - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Bloomsbury revealed the hardcover gift edition box cases of Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban editions with new art by Jonny Duddle, set to release next year.

Those covers, which were first featured in Bloomsbury Children's Books new titles catalogue from January to June, 2015, show Hogwarts castle line drawn by Duddle on the slipcases of the books.

Photos: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban gift edition box cases - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 12-29-2016, 12:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Beautiful covers.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Moderator Manager

Has anyone bought any of the illustrated versions?

Old 01-02-2017, 11:38 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I just got a copy of this book for my Kindle for free through Amazon. My oldest is almost 6 so I was thinking about introducing him to Harry Potter. I have never read this book before so I wanted to read it myself first to see how it is before I read it to him. I will buy the hard cover or paperback version to read to him though. Probably for his birthday in March. If the book goes over well I will also start introducing him to the movies as well.

I am kind of excited about reading it. I hope I love it as much as everyone else seems to
Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Moderator Manager

Yay! I'm so glad you finally have a copy of the book. If you're done, let me know what you think about it and post your thoughts here.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:53 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Bloomsbury Publishing is excited to unveil the covers of the eagerly anticipated 20th Anniversary House editions of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.

Illustrated by Levi Pinfold, Kate Greenaway Medal winner, the front covers feature the crest for each Hogwarts house in vibrant house colours. Levi took his inspiration from traditional heraldry and coats of arms and combined this with typical characteristics of each house to create crests that embody the values of the house. Head to Pottermore.com to find out more information on the creatures, symbols and shapes used in each crest.

Publishing in celebration of the 20th anniversary, 26th June 2017, there are complementary hardback and paperback jackets of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. The hardbacks will be black with the house crest in a house colour and striped sprayed edges. The paperbacks will reverse the house colour theme and have single colour sprayed edges. Both editions will contain fascinating facts about the houses of Hogwarts, and three specially commissioned house illustrations from Levi Pinfold per book. Books will be in stores from the beginning of June.
Photos: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 20th anniversary book covers released - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 02-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Moderator Support Team

Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Moderator Manager

^ LMAO! I heard his kids are Potterheads.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
"... because I'm never going over to the Dark Side! I'm going through that trapdoor tonight and nothing you two say is going to stop me! Voldemort killed my parents, remember?"
p. 270 US edition of SS/PS.

What is this about? Why the outburst and mention of the Dark Side - in caps and it has never been mentioned before. I don't believe Ron and Hermione were not on his side so why is he getting all defensive? Seems out of character.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:10 PM
Moderator Manager

I think it was Harry lashing out, really scared, and as a kid, this is his first time to actually be on the "dark side". At least that's how I interpreted it. What exactly did Ron & Hermione say there that made him say it? I haven't re-read SS/PS in forever.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 AM
Moderator Manager

Happy 20 years to Harry Potter!

Old 06-26-2017, 03:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top