Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Passionate Fan

NOOOOOOOOOO... I think it could be just the character 'Lori'. I find her quite annoying... so I hope this is all wrong. I used to watch her on the tribe.. she did an American accent in that one which was ok.

found some pics..

- Was looking at the official site. Some poster said something .. she did'nt deny it.. which to me implied she'd been in contact with casting people. ...take a look in the forum.

(off topic- so sad about Delta Goodram. I just found out)

[ 07-27-2003: Message edited Eowyn_Evenstar ]

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |
Old 07-27-2003, 02:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Harry Potter: The Boy Who Was Daft.

Anyone can see that Cho was still reeling from Cedric Diggory’s death. While my heart goes out to the girl I formerly loathed as a main competitor for Harry’s affections, I have no illusions as to Cho’s suitability for romance. She was downright unstable.If Harry didn’t have the sense to see that for himself, then he deserved the fallout.

All the books caution against making any major changes in your life after you’ve suffered a major loss. Do not sell the house. Do not get married. Do not quit your job.

Cho should focus on grieving and concentrate on herself right now. it seems to me that she is "DEALING" with Cedric's death by trying to replace one love with another. I feel sorry for Micheal, as soon comes to her senses, He'll get dropped like a used tissue.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Passionate Fan

faery princess - just wanted to say I love your website!!

Was browsing a message group. Just pasting down some interesting things said... thought the thing about Cho's patronus was interesting.

<< I am in agreement in thinking that Cho won't be thrown away and its
hard to say if feelings will come into it or not because it was his
first girlfriend. The reason I don't believe Cho is gone because in
the DA meetings she and Hermione were the only ones who could do a
patronus. Plus JKR made apoint of letting us know her Patronus was
a swan and she doesn't seem to give that information by accident.>>

Old 07-27-2003, 04:18 PM
Master Fan

I've been meaning to bring up Cho's patronus for a while, but it always slips my mind for some reason. Anyway, I thought it was interesting that it took form of a swan. I hope it was a clue that Cho'll stick around more in the sixth book.

[ 07-27-2003: Message edited /./ Aya /./ ]
Old 07-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Passionate Fan

Does the swan symbolise anything?? I re read that part of the book. A few others did make thier own patronus.... Hermione was mentioned but that's it. No one else could think of a happy thought! I wonder what Cho was thinking of. I think her patronus will come into use in the next book. Maybe the ones who can do it... will form a team up...to fight whatever is coming next. Since they have the most power.

Old 07-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn_Evenstar:
<STRONG>Does the swan symbolise anything?? I re read that part of the book. A few others did make thier own patronus.... Hermione was mentioned but that's it. No one else could think of a happy thought! I wonder what Cho was thinking of. I think her patronus will come into use in the next book. Maybe the ones who can do it... will form a team up...to fight whatever is coming next. Since they have the most power.</STRONG>
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing! I was actually gonna look up the swan to see if there's any significance behind it.. But I didn't. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'll do that now...

I think they (the ones who could make a Patronus) will be a lot of help, because they can use them against the Dementors (who are eventually going to rejoin Voldemort). Maybe in the next book, they'll actually have a real (bigger, and better because teacher's can help teach too) DA!
Old 07-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm hoping so. More Cho. Maybe more Harry and Cho. And my favourite subplot was the DA by far. I'll try find some swan things now!

The stag or deer is a symbol of piety and devotion, and of safety in God's care. (Might as well throw in some Harry too. Maybe we can find a connection)

A swan is sometimes used as a sign of hypocrisy because its beautiful white plumage conceals black flesh beneath. (oh dear!!!!)

Old 07-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Master Fan

Oh cool! This is what I found:

Swan symbolism and mythology

Because of its pure white colour, the swan is a symbol of light in many parts of the world. Though in some regions it was considered a feminine symbol of the moon, in most it was a masculine symbol of the sun. In ancient Greece, for example, the swan was linked to Apollo, the god of the Sun. The god Zeus took the shape of a swan to get close to Leda, with whom he had fallen in love. And in Celic myth, a pair of swans steered the Sunboat across heaven. As a feminine symbol, the swan represents intuition and gracefulness, and goddesses such as Aphrodite and Artemis were sometimes accompanied by swans.
As a symbol in alchemy, the swan was neither masculine nor feminine, but rather symbolised hermaphroditism or 'the marriage of the opposites', fire and water. It was an emblem of mercury, as it was white and very mobile, because of its wings.

In Germanic myth the Valkyries had the power to transform into swans. They were warrior goddesses, bringing victory to one side and defeat to the other, and deciding which warriors could enter Walhalla after death. They would sometimes take off their swan-plumage and appear in human form, but if a man then stole their plumage, they were forced to obey him. However, the Valkyries could also be united with a man through love instead of force. The Valkyrie Kara accompanied her lover Helgi in war, flying over the battlefield in her swan's plumage. She sang a song so soothing that the enemy lost the will to fight. Also in Celtic and Siberian culture stories existed of swans taking off their plumage and turning into maidens.

As a dream symbol, the swan can signify self transformation, intuition, sensitivity, and even the soul, the 'higher Self' within each person.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by /./ Aya /./:
<STRONG>

In Germanic myth the Valkyries had the power to transform into swans. They were warrior goddesses, bringing victory to one side and defeat to the other, and deciding which warriors could enter Walhalla after death.
</STRONG>
WOW! That's really interesting. The fact that their warrior goddesses. I like that. Don't know if it would ever be significant. I found some more things.

Killing a swan in Ireland was punishable by death, for they were believed to be Otherworld women in the shape of birds, but in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, the faery nature of swans was Christianized, and they came to be seen as holy women under enchantment. To see a swan was an omen of good fortune

A swan's song is also called a final farewell, believed to be dedicated to the god Apollo.
Swans are associated with the moon.

Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit-Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.

The end part is interesting - as it's in 7 parts! (seven HP books) Maybe I'm just grabbing at straws.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:01 AM
Passionate Fan

Swans

Keynote: Awakening the true beauty and power of self.

Cycle of power: Winter

The swan is one of the most powerful and ancient of totems. For those with this totem, the emotions will become more sensitive, and you will find yourself becoming more sensitive to the emotions of others as well.

The swan is usually pure white which makes it a solar symbol. The neck of the swan is long and graceful. The neck is the bridge area between the head (higher realms) and the body (lower worlds). In the swan totem, as you begin to realize your own true beauty, you unfold the ability to bridge to new realms and new powers. This ability to awaken to the inner beauty and bridge it to the outer world is part of what swan medicine can teach. It can show how to see the inner beauty within yourself or in others, regardless of outer appearances. When we are capable of this, we become a magnet to others.

The swan is a cold loving bird. Those with this totem will find it easier to stand colder climates than warm. Because of this the swan has ties to the direction North, and it's symbolism should be examined as well.

The swan is the totem of the child, the poet, the mystic, and the dreamer. Swans were sacred to Aphrodite, the goddess of love. They were depicted pulling the chariot of Apollo. Zeus took the shape of a swan to make love to Ledo (Leto), a mortal--reflecting the ability of swan to link different worlds and dimensions.

The swan is a link to the fairy realm of life. The swan can teach the mysteries of song and poetry, for these touch the child and beauty within.

from Animal Speak by Ted Andrews

Old 07-28-2003, 12:10 AM
Master Fan

That's interesting -- the thing about seeing inner beauty and attracting others because of it. Also that bit on being a link between different dimensions, worlds... Not to sound extremely far-fetched, but could that sort of mean like seeing (possibly even talk to) the dead? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I dunno... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Passionate Fan

I was thinking that! particularly when you consider all that veil business and Harry trying to contact Sirius after his death. Him hearing the voices behind the veil. I think the veil could be like a pathway there. I don't know if patronus have any other sort of function though apart from seeing away dementors. Perhaps Cho is a bit like Tonks and is born with this gift (not the hair changing thing)

[ 07-28-2003: Message edited Eowyn_Evenstar ]

Old 07-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Master Fan

Other stuff I found..

While the peacock is a symbol of material manifestation, the swan stands for the ethereal. It represents the presence of divine inspiration in our world.

Despite the fact that the swan is generally judged the most beautiful of the large water birds, we can see in its long, graceful, serpentine neck, a kinship to the snake. Therefore, the swan (Skt. hamsa) embodies the union of Garuda and Naga, and since those two classes of beings are mythological enemies, it stands for the highest wisdom teachings concerning the union of opposites.

The spiritual association is further emphasized by swans' seeming almost to move as if suspended above the water's surface which evokes the detachment that is the result of meditative practice.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:19 AM
Passionate Fan

hmnmmm.. that's even more interesting. I don't see JK Rowling throwing in the Cho is evil thing. But the fact that the swan has connections with the snake is intriguing! I also like the idea of the union of opposites. In some ways Harry and Cho are opposites.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:25 AM
Passionate Fan

I have my own symbolism book. Here's what a swan symbolises.

Swan is the bird of life. The dawn of the day (I have read somewhere Cho's name means Dawn). It also signifies solitude and retreat and is the bird of the poet; its dying song is the poet's song; its whiteness is sincerity.

Celtic - they posess threpeutic powers. Benevolence, love and purity.
Christian - Poetry, Grace and represents teh Virgin Mary. Singing with its dying breath it denotes martyrs and Christian resignation.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top