Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2017, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ahhh, only able to watch it now but I was lurking so I'm quite spoiled. Eh. Back with proper thoughts tomorrow.

Blasphemous that Monty was not on the list.

And also, noooo Nyko. He was one of the few Grounders I actually liked.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 02-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Elite Fan

Lisa
I love that you googled that!

so killer drones and mutants on the island, right? Sounds like the plot of a really cheesy horror film

Kate | art thread | tumblr | icon
Old 02-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
Well, Echo and Roan were not helping my grounder opinion tonight, but Luna moved up a notch for me.
For Luna

and
Old 02-23-2017, 09:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It really does

Maybe there are more cool mutant animals! ooo

Stuff about falling from heights (under cut since referencing suicides):

Spoiler:

Hmm so the fact that Octavia was unconscious and floppy, actually could have helped her survive the impact (according to what that said).

More fun:

Water landings—if you must—require quick decision-making. Studies of bridge-jump survivors indicate that a feet-first, knife-like entry (aka "the pencil") best optimizes your odds of resurfacing. The famed cliff divers of Acapulco, however, tend to assume a head-down position, with the fingers of each hand locked together, arms outstretched, protecting the head. Whichever you choose, first assume the free-fall position for as long as you can. Then, if a feet-first entry is inevitable, the most important piece of advice, for reasons both unmentionable and easily understood, is to clench your butt.

No matter the surface, definitely don't land on your head. In a 1977 "Study of Impact Tolerance Through Free-Fall Investigations," researchers at the Highway Safety Research Institute found that the major cause of death in falls—they examined drops from buildings, bridges and the occasional elevator shaft (oops!)—was cranial contact. If you have to arrive top-down, sacrifice your good looks and land on your face, rather than the back or top of your head. You might also consider flying with a pair of goggles in your pocket, Hamilton says, since you're likely to get watery eyes—impairing accuracy—on the way down.
x

The speed of a diver from a 30 metre cliff is estimated to be only about 90 km per hour. This is only one-third or so of the terminal velocity.

Another factor too is plunging position. If the diver is plunging head-first, their speed will be somewhat faster than if they were falling spread-eagled due to less drag in the head-first position.

According to Linn Emrich, author of The Complete Book of Sky Sports, first published back in 1970, a 77 kg (170 lb) person would reach terminal velocity after about 14 seconds. They would fall nearly 10,000 feet (3,048 meters) in one minute. Cliff divers are not in the air for anywhere near 14 seconds. This is why they can dive and survive.
x

This guy diving from 172 feet:
https://www.quora.com/Can-you-surviv...rop-into-water

Ok I'm bored of that now.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Elite Fan

LISA!

That's a LOT of research you did there

Love it!

Kate | art thread | tumblr | icon
Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Elite Fan

LISA OH MY GOD hahaha
Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Total Fan

The thing that gets me about Octavia's fall isn't the distance or the position of her body when she landed. I'm more skeptical of the depth of the water. Like, you wouldn't want to jump off the high dive into the shallow end of the swimming pool for obvious reasons. When you jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, you are jumping into like a 300 foot basin of water. But when I think about Octavia falling into that river, I just can't help but think that realistically she would have hit rocks under the surface and died. It didn't look like a particularly huge river to me.

But having said that, I don't really care. Just another thing from The 100 to throw on the pile of absolutely ridiculous suspension of disbelief.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Just another thing from The 100 to throw on the pile of absolutely ridiculous suspension of disbelief
Exactly that's what irritates me. Also Are we to assume, Octavia's horse, found his way down that huge cliff?

( I mean it happened in LOTR with my fav Aragorn..so maybe I'll let it go)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Obsessed Fan

I have been thinking that Octavia might have been chosen for the list because of her unique fighting skills amoung the Sky people ? I don't know why they would need it in isolation but whatever.

Icon by Sarah

To the Sky King : Bellamy Blake
Old 02-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Total Fan

I think if you're trapped indoors with the same group of 100 people for 5 years, an assassin might come in handy.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
I think if you're trapped indoors with the same group of 100 people for 5 years, an assassin might come in handy.

Icon by Sarah

Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
hahaha
Old 02-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Addicted Fan

Ha ha ha as soon as I saw Helios walking by the river I was like, oh so I guess O's gonna pull an Aragorn huh? Didn't realize it would be exactly the same scene, but okay. I'm good.

Clarke and Anya survived an equally ridiculous jump off a cliff back in S2 so I just shrugged and went with it. I was slightly concerned they really were killing Octavia off, because with this show you never know, but I figured she would somehow survive.

I think what Kane said to her was maybe making her begin to realize she wasn't honoring Lincoln's memory, too. I hope so. It's hard to think that Lincoln might have been ashamed at what she's becoming.

Jaha got floated. Heh. Mopey!Jasper got on my nerves last season but I don't really like bordering-on-cruel Prankster!Jasper at all. He's a prck.

I totally thought Jaha was just pretending they were going to hold a lottery - which people had to earn tickets for - to get people to get back to work, but if so then Clarke fell for it and he didn't correct her. It could go either way.

Luna's getting on my nerves.

Sometimes I like Roan, sometimes I want to throw him off a cliff. This was one of the throw-him-off-a-cliff episodes.

You know, it doesn't make Pike and Bellamy's actions in S3 right, but the more we see out of Ice Nation (who were the ONLY Grounders that Pike had experience with) the more I understand why Pike refused to trust any treaty or cease fire the Grounders offered. Based on what we just saw, if that 300 man army sent to protect Arkadia had been Ice Nation, there's a good chance they would find an excuse to break their treaty, march in, and slaughter Arkadia. In Pike's shoes I might have chosen to take pre-emptive action to eliminate the potential threat and deal with the consequences too.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM
Passionate Fan

It's not so much the fall that bugs me as the stab wound. Echo's blade went clean through. Even if no major organs were damaged wouldn't she bleed out? I mean, we could see blood surrounding her once she hit the water. Though I suppose if it was cold water that would have reduced the blood flow opposed to warm water which I believe would have aided blood flow. I'm really not sure. Fuzzy! I need your science.

And I knew she wouldn't die primarily because she is one of the core three - Clarke, Bellamy, and Octavia. I'm not saying those three are indefinitely safe, but if any one of them is going to die Jason will wait for the opportune moment to maximize impact. Timing isn't right for Octavia to die. That would send Bellamy into a tailspin and forever affect his character. It's sufficient right now to have him temporarily believe she is dead in order to explore that. But given Octavia's state after Lincoln's death and the affect that has had on her relationship with Bellamy to have her die before she and Bellamy have returned to a better place would be too much for Bellamy. He would be lost, and it's too soon after the fiasco that was him following Pike last season. Show isn't going to go there...at least not yet.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenni727 (View Post)
I

And I knew she wouldn't die primarily because she is one of the core three - Clarke, Bellamy, and Octavia. I'm not saying those three are indefinitely safe, but if any one of them is going to die Jason will wait for the opportune moment to maximize impact. Timing isn't right for Octavia to die. That would send Bellamy into a tailspin and forever affect his character. It's sufficient right now to have him temporarily believe she is dead in order to explore that. But given Octavia's state after Lincoln's death and the affect that has had on her relationship with Bellamy to have her die before she and Bellamy have returned to a better place would be too much for Bellamy. He would be lost, and it's too soon after the fiasco that was him following Pike last season. Show isn't going to go there...at least not yet.
Exactly.

Icon by Sarah