Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I saw the movie too, I've read the book. I thought the book was better than the movie. The movie was a lot darker without the fluffy FNL tv show moments.

I think actually Brad Leland was in the movie too along with Connie, if I remember correctly.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

He was

Never read the book, but that's partly because I haven't found a copy of it yet
Old 02-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Master Fan

I never read the book or saw the movie. I will have to put it on my list. Speaking of my list. A friend told me I wouldn't like the Johnny Versace mini-series because its too gory. Thoughts?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

The book is really detailed and a lot of it is about the socioeconomics of Odessa more than anything else. That and the idea that there was never any standout players that went on to go and play in college or into the NFL that the system they had set up at Permian was in such a way that the teams were always high level and competitive but they weren't some factory spitting out pro players.

I've never watched the Versace series probably won't, but I've heard it is pretty gory.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Addicted Fan

Wow, I didn't remember Brad Leland was in it it too! Clearly it's been a while since I've watched it all the way through. The Applebee's was definitely in it! Haha.

I watched some of the Versace miniseries, but I barely remember any of it and it's only been a few months. I do remember the opening was gory but maybe I missed the more gory episodes. The performances are all great, but I didn't really care for it overall.

This is only slightly FNL-related, but did anyone else watch the Jussie Smollett interview on GMA? I had my suspicions about his story at first, but I found him VERY credible. It's weird how many falsehoods spread so fast about the case. Like the whole MAGA hats part. Never happened, according to him. And it makes perfect sense why he'd be wary of turning over his phone for hours to the police, being a celebrity and having already been attacked and surely feeling vulnerable. Basically our whole lives are on our phones now.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I remember watching the Friday Night Lights movie when it came out, so I would have been in college. Actually I totally remember it being during the summer and I had my younger cousins at the local pool that day because my grandma was having her hip replaced and I was babysitting. We went to her house to watch the movie while we waited for our parents to get back from the hospital. It's crazy what you can randomly remember.

The whole situation surrounding the Jussie Smollett story is crazy. The media, man, I know the whole "fake news" thing drives me insane but who are these Chicago reporters sources? How irresponsible to report that the police believe the whole ordeal was orchestrated so that he wouldn't be written off Empire and then all the hollywood trade outlets picked it up too. Last night one hour it was a set up the next hour the Chicago PD was denying it. What a rollercoaster. I just don't see any reason why he would set something up like this. There is no benefit to him.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitscherSunk (View Post)
This is only slightly FNL-related, but did anyone else watch the Jussie Smollett interview on GMA? I had my suspicions about his story at first, but I found him VERY credible. It's weird how many falsehoods spread so fast about the case. Like the whole MAGA hats part. Never happened, according to him. And it makes perfect sense why he'd be wary of turning over his phone for hours to the police, being a celebrity and having already been attacked and surely feeling vulnerable. Basically our whole lives are on our phones now.
I actually thought the story was shady when I first heard it. But then I saw a headline that they think it was a set up? I don't know much else. What are they saying?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
I never read the book or saw the movie. I will have to put it on my list. Speaking of my list. A friend told me I wouldn't like the Johnny Versace mini-series because its too gory. Thoughts?
It is pretty gory in parts, but I personally didn't have a problem with it
Old 02-16-2019, 12:24 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

FNL named one of the 20 best TV Dramas since 'The Soprano's' began the "golden age of television"

Quote:
As those of us who have evangelized for this show for years constantly telling people, "Friday Night Lights" is not really about high school football. It's about Dillon, Tex.

Dillon, Tex., in turn, is totally about high school football. Football is on the radio and in the yard signs and at the barbecues. Dillon reminisces about football of the past and dreams about football of the future. It comes together over football, and it falls apart over football.

The way "F.N.L." understood this - why a game can be so consuming to a working-class small town, how the need for hope can be both sustaining and dangerous - is what made it one of TV's best drams, not just about high school but about community.

Community, in "F.N.L," can be a support and a burden. The players juggle game pressures - absent parents, illness, money troubles. Coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler) is celebrated when he wins, dogged and second-guessed when he loses. His wife, Tami (Connie Britton) a guidance counselor and principal, wrestles with a system that would rather invest in a Jumbotron than teachers. (Their gently sparring partnership, at home and school, should be mandatory pre-marriage-counseling viewing).

In the fourth season, Eric and Tami relocate to East Dillon High School - a poor. largely African-American school across town - and "F.N.L." became the rare high school show to actually get better as it ages, becoming as much a story of the chasms of opportunity as more overtly issues-minded stories like "The Wire."

Of course, there's football, too, with hard hits and sidelines drama and more than the statistically likely percentage of games decided on the last play. But the most memorable moments are coach Taylor's locker-room speeches, which bring it back to honor, faith and the family watching from the stands: "Those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

This is a football story that cares as much about the spectators as the players, because it knows that none of them got where they are by themselves.
Other top 20 shows:

The West Wing
The Shield
The Wire
Battlestar Galactica
Deadwood
Lost
Veronica Mars
Grey's Anatomy
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Good Wife
Adventure Time
Enlightened
The Americans
Rectify
The Leftovers
Transparent
Jane the Virgin
Atlanta

Tough Omissions:
Halt and Catch Fire
Queen Sugar
Justified
Southland
Game of Thrones

Old 02-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

That’s an interesting list. I tried to watch lost. I couldn’t get through it.
Other than FNL, I’ve seen Grey’s , Mad Men, and The Americans.

Those of us who have evangelized for this show... hahaha! Truth, and still people don’t know it and haven’t watched it. It blows my mind and hurts my heart.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I mean I just introduced it to one of my best friends last summer. She's rewatching right now. One of my other best friends I got obsessed with it enough that she wanted FNL t-shirts but this was still years after it had finished airing.

I've seen all of: The West Wing, The Wire, Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Rectify, The Leftovers.

I've actually never seen all of The Sopranos. I've seen a good number of episodes here and there but I should probably sit down and watch it all.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I've actually never seen all of The Sopranos. I've seen a good number of episodes here and there but I should probably sit down and watch it all.
Yes you should. It's on my rewatch list. There is prequel coming out so I want to rewatch the original beforehand. I watched it when it originally aired... live, every Sunday night.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I was only 14 when it started and wasn't allowed to watch it. I started watching reruns of it when I was in college but have never sat down to watch it all. I'm sure it'll be worth it. I wonder how it holds up.

I rewatched The Wire a few years back and it holds up okay, it's still a great TV show. That was the first thing I ever saw Idris Elba in and a baby Michael B. Jordan. In fact any of these shows on this list that I've watched I'd rewatch. Rectify is super underrated. Abigail Spencer is great in it.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
I was only 14 when it started and wasn't allowed to watch it. I started watching reruns of it when I was in college but have never sat down to watch it all. I'm sure it'll be worth it. I wonder how it holds up.

I rewatched The Wire a few years back and it holds up okay, it's still a great TV show. That was the first thing I ever saw Idris Elba in and a baby Michael B. Jordan. In fact any of these shows on this list that I've watched I'd rewatch. Rectify is super underrated. Abigail Spencer is great in it.
Sopranos would definitely hold up. It's considered the best dramas of all time. I never saw The Wire.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:57 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I guess I need to add the sopranos to my never ending list of things to watch.