Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2019, 04:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

'No Time To Die'? About as redundant as calling the Die Hard sequel 'Die Harder'

I love ironic titles. And wow, April 2020 not too far away
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah intersting title.

Only 7 months to go.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

watched Tomorrow Never Dies for the first time with my mom tonight and liked the action scenes and Michelle

I loved all the functions in James’s car and the gadgets in general in this movie

I think I’m gonna try my best to watch as many of the movies as I can before the new one comes out next year

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 09-22-2019 at 03:29 PM
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Extreme Fan

That's awesome. Are you watching them all for the first time? I love hearing what new fans have to say, after watching each one for the first time. Tomorrow Never Dies was the first one I watched in the cinema, after seeing all of the previous films the year before. A lot or fans don't like how it gets more action heavy as the films goes on, but it has always been one of my top 10 Bond films.

What others have you seen?
The Shadow Strikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

I’ve only seen the Daniel Craig ones up until now
Old 09-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Extreme Fan

I strongly suggest watching them all. Otherwise you would be missing out on 20 films. Don't bother with the 2 unofficial films, unless you really want to.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

My favorite live performance of my favorite Bond song, I love the buzz in the crowd as it shifts from classical to pop when the theme drifts in among the medley -

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-26-2019, 01:07 AM
Extreme Fan

AVTAK is one of the bets, and is the high charting Bond song (or was until Skyfall).

I really like 'Surrender' by K.D. Lang. Surrender was supposed to be the main song for Tomorrow Never Dies, until is was possibly decided that K.D.Lang wasn't a big enough star. So Surrender was moved to the end credits, and Sheryl Crow was hired to to sing a different song for the opening. I like both, but Surrender is a much better song imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRc4vrap5Ec
Old 09-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Not looking forward to seeing Bond pass the 007 designation to a female agent.

See, why make a female 007? Did we not already have a Nikita and a Sydney Bristow? Why not make more movies like that? Why not have a female secret agent who stands on her own legacy instead of borrowing someone else's? No one is ever going to forget that 007 belongs to Bond, and eventually someone's going to want Bond to come back, so this will only be on loan. But again, why not create a totally different character with her own legacy? I mean, Robert Ludlum didn't create an American James Bond, he created his own character named Jason Bourne. Is creativity being lost today and replaced with mediocrity?
Old 09-26-2019, 10:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow Strikes (View Post)
I strongly suggest watching them all. Otherwise you would be missing out on 20 films. Don't bother with the 2 unofficial films, unless you really want to.
I feel like I’m gonna work my way backwards like I’m in the Brosnan era rn and I’m gonna go back from there
Old 09-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Not looking forward to seeing Bond pass the 007 designation to a female agent.

See, why make a female 007? Did we not already have a Nikita and a Sydney Bristow? Why not make more movies like that? Why not have a female secret agent who stands on her own legacy instead of borrowing someone else's?

Is creativity being lost today and replaced with mediocrity?
Total mediocrity, Alex I'm not happy about it, either. They don't care what the original conception of the character was in the books. They know that they don't have to answer to the author anymore. They are always looking to change things these days to fit the 'progressive' ways of thinking about equality. It has translated to movies in the most irritating of ways.

Same thing happened to Doctor Who. People can't leave things alone because sexism is always raised as an issue (even when it's clearly not).

I like that you mentioned Sydney Bristow. ALIAS was such a great TV show (well, the first 2 seasons anyway )
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks, Gwen. I agree, I loved Alias and Sydney Bristow. As for the show going off the rails after season 2... well, that's JJ Abrams for you. I think he clearly thinks he's a better writer than he actually is. I still haven't forgiven him for wasting six years of my life on LOST.

I also loved Nikita with Maggie Q. Wanna know another female action hero who stands on her own legacy? Ellen Ripley from Alien and Aliens. Total badass. Why do people think that men like me object to this stuff because we're insecure or afraid of losing our male privilege, as JJ Abrams said? Men had no problem with Sydney, Nikita, or Ripley, did they? It's the trend of trying to reboot or remake classic stories as if Hollywood thinks something's wrong with them that's insulting. Anything that stands the test of time as long as this stuff has obviously did something right. Like you said, it's mediocrity on the part of the current generation of Hollywood producers and filmmakers. And yes, I do think a lot of it has to do with political correctness, which is just insufferable.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

still not over how cute this kid was

Old 09-28-2019, 03:03 PM
Extreme Fan

This is a bit of a minefield. Becuse a black woman is involved, one has to tread very carefully. For a brief period in the YOLT book, Bond didn't carry the 00 number. But he did have it reinstated. The problem here, if giving it to a black woman. At some point, it is going to have to be taken back, and handed to Bond. And that won't play well with some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodsmariano (View Post)
I feel like I’m gonna work my way backwards like I’m in the Brosnan era rn and I’m gonna go back from there
That's one way to do it. But remember to post your thoughts on each one, i'm interested to hear what you think as a first time fan.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the videos, Alison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow Strikes (View Post)
This is a bit of a minefield. Becuse a black woman is involved, one has to tread very carefully. For a brief period in the YOLT book, Bond didn't carry the 00 number. But he did have it reinstated. The problem here, if giving it to a black woman. At some point, it is going to have to be taken back, and handed to Bond. And that won't play well with some people.
That's exactly why I'm opposed to this type of recasting. Once you open that door you can't close it again, and you'll only end up alienating people. Having a black female 007 might be seen as giving representation to people who have been marginalized, but what happens after that? What if someone says, "when do we get Bond back?" Like I said before, the character is basically now on loan, and sooner or later people are gonna want the character back, but then the other group is going to feel slighted because they want to keep their character, and it just becomes a mess. This is why they should create new characters instead of redistributing established ones.