Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Did everyone get the email from TVShowsonDVD.com re: the Season 2 DVD release? I got the email today. This is what it says.

Quote:
In the spirit of the Angel news we just posted, you guys will be wanting to know what the announcement insert card in next Tuesday's Roswell set says about the second season. Right?

"Right!," you all shout back at me. Okay, well here's what I know: A fellow in Europe who goes by the name of "Benno" prefers to import the Region 1 releases of DVDs, and he ordered Roswell - The Complete 1st Season from the USA. In order to get it to him by street date, his retailer apparently shipped it early, and it seems that the Customs Dept. didn't slow things down as long as they usually do. Lucky Benno already has his set!

Benno tells us that the insert says this about Roswell - Season 2:

Continue your collection....
Roswell Season Two.

Return to the town where the term 'Alien
Encounter' takes on a whole new meaning.

Season Two available this Summer
on DVD... And nowhere else!

Wow...if Benno's not playing some cruel joke on us (and he's been reliable for us in the past), then that's awfully fast! On the other hand, Fox knows how hot this show is, and it wouldn't surprise us to hear that they've put it on the fast track. Since the first release is happening now, in Februrary, then a six-month release pattern like other Fox shows on DVD means August would work out. Nice, after waiting so long to get the first season!

Benno got this news to us the other day, actually, and we held off passing it along because we wanted to try to get ahold of someone at Fox to give us a more specific release date, if possible. That didn't work out for us, but we'll keep trying. In the meantime, we thought we would pass along Benno's information to all you Roswell junkies, and give you something to look forward to in your release next Tuesday.

Don't forget, though, that Fox (like every other studio) sometimes moves their releases around, so fans should be aware that the timeframe may change. Stay tuned for more info, just as soon as it lands.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Extreme Fan

I can't wait!! I was in Target today with my mother, and they have a poster for the DVD. I was talking to it. I had a conversation with it, "Your going to be in my house on tuesday, yes you are.", Mother thought I was nuts.

I really don't care about the music, I don't remember what songs went with what anyway. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Elle!! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] That is quite the mental picture!!! Hmm, i may need to call and see if my Target has that poster. If they do, I WANT IT!!

Because the story isn't over... RoswellMovie.net
Old 02-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Addicted Fan

I soooo can't wait!!!!!!!!! The website is awesome!!! The video clips made me so much more excited to get my DVD!!!

Elle [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

#34 OBSESSED JB FAN

Come and see why we are so fabulous!
My space
Old 02-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] great cover images too.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

Thanks for the new thread [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/pinkie.gif[/img] Less then a week to go!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:04 AM
LKB
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by PHMustang2000:
<STRONG>We fought and fought for this show to be on DVD and Fox is finally giving us what we wanted. So what if there is some adjusting to be made. Its better to have adjusted to a show than no show at all. Do you all want to walk into stores and not see Roswell on the shelfs? What's wrong with you people.</STRONG>
PHMustang2000 - I'm not trying to be rude or pick a fight, but why isn't it okay for people to express dissatisfaction or disappointment with the DVD? Some people are going to be thrilled with it and some people aren't. I couldn't agree more with Negra Luna :
Quote:
Can someone ever have a difference of opinion on this board, without getting a lecture from the masses?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Loyal Fan

I talked to the owner of DVD World Online
and he told me the pre-orders for his site are selling really good and this is coming from a site that isn't as popular as Amazon.com and other one's. I take this is some really good news. I really want the sales to be well so we can see a roswell movie plus have all of the eps on DVD. We are getting closer and closer roswellians
Old 02-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Absolute Fan

I kicked a lot of butt to get things moving [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

Good to see the psychotic fantasism for this show is still alive *cough, PHMustang2000 *cough* -- Clam down, (wo)man. It's just a show.

Anyway...

I'm glad it's finally on DVD and I know the only season I will be getting is S1 because S2 and S3 is when the "changes" started happening and this show veered so far off track that I can't bring myself to watch those episodes. Period.

Does anyone know what format the show is actually shot in as far as film and lens type?

Was it originally in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and just cropped for TV (1.33:1) when it aired, or when they say "Widescreen" do they just mean for widescreen, HDTVs?

Also, I can't wait for the 5.1 sound because sound editing was one of the weaker points in the broadcast version of the show.

Proof? Just watch the clip where Max saves Liz that's on the Fox site and even coming through two spearkers on my PC, it sounds much, much cleaner and crisp -- like when Max throws Michael the keys and he breaks the bottle of ketchup. This kind of sound editing was just lost during the broadcasts because most affiliates aren't digital yet and have to downmix the audio tracks into standard two channel analogue stereo.

I'm not trying to sound like techno-film nerd, but stuff like this is exactly why you wait for TV shows to come to DVD and what gives them value along with the extras (if they are done right).

I for one can't wait to get S1 and watch it the way it's meant to be seen and heard [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Fan

what special features do they have on the dvd??
Old 02-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Loyal Fan

i might be geting mine on sunday i will scan the nz cover and cds

May 2007 be fun!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by VampireSlayer:
<STRONG>I think I'm gonna cry as I walk up to it in the store [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]</STRONG>

Hahahahahah! I think I will too!!

Old 02-14-2004, 06:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Received the set yesterday and was able to get through quite a bit last night. Let’s start with the good news:

Picture. Quality is very good considering this was first recorded in 1999 with the images being sharp and colours vivid without being garish. Contrast is excellent with blacks coming over as solid and no bleeding along edges. The widescreen format (1.78:1) is great and the picture remains free of any artefacts unless you are looking very hard for them. 10/10

Audio. Initially I was not impressed as I was expecting the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio to make more use of the rear speakers on my surround sound system. However it soon became evident that there is little in the way of ‘sound effects’ in this set that would bring these in to play, as it is very dialogue heavy. In this respect the audio proved excellent with dialogue coming across as clear and precise even with loud background sounds. Those without surround systems will not miss out much here. 9/10

Not such good news:

Packaging. Much has been discussed over the last couple of months of the front graphic on the box set but overall I found the packaging to be disappointing. Each disc is contained in its own thin transparent case and these are all kept together by the outer cardboard box. This is a fairly flimsy affair that I don’t think will stand up to much use so handle with care. The use of individual cases may have seems like a good idea but pick the box up the wrong way and they end up on the floor at your feet. I personally prefer the fold out system as used in the Dawson’s Creek sets. Each disc case has its own cover but the same background graphic is used throughout with an enlarged head shot of the main characters overlaid. These head shots are grainy and of poor quality so the overall impression is not good. The disc labels continue the ‘orange’ theme using the same background graphic. After seeing the Japanese version of the box set I would sum this up as being uninspired. 5/10

On-screen menus. The discs play straight in to the episode selection menu and it is only by going in to each of these that you can access the extras. Moody and slightly abstract images are used for the backgrounds to the menus and these I felt worked well. Navigation is simple and at last we see the ‘hand print’ as this forms the on-screen icon but strangely enough it’s in a funny green colour rather than silver. 8/10

Soundtrack. Ah the controversial issue. As we all know by now the soundtrack had to be changed so the DVD set could be produced but how successful have these changes been? To quote Jason Katims “I am more exited to watch these versions of the episodes than the originals”. Well I disagree. Most of the changes are not that important and an example of this would be the soundtrack that is played when Isabel is listening to the CD in the back of the jeep in the Pilot episode. While it’s not the same, overall that scene has not really been changed. However an example where it has made a major difference (for me) is the final scene in ‘Leaving Normal’ when Max takes Liz back to the diner. With the original soundtrack this scene has a real emotional intensity about it but it has been replaced with some bog standard backing track which has taken away the emotional impact it used to have. I’m sure other examples will be evident as you go through the set. Generally the big songs have been replaced with much lighter, backing style soundtracks which are a mixed success. 6/10

Extras. Well I’m not really a big fan of extras so can’t really compare these with other sets. The one thing I did find strange is that the deleted scene from the Pilot (which is also available on the Fox web site) was not the one I expected. The one included is after Liz gets shot and Max runs out. Maria and Liz go into the bathroom at the diner and Maria is asking Liz what happened but she does not tell. The cut scene I had expected was in the school washroom where Liz explains to Maria why there was blood on the order book and what Max had told her to do (deep breathing).

So overall it’s a mixed bag when looked at from an objective point of view. Of course what is not taken in to account here is the content itself, which is still as good as ever and such a pleasure to have the episodes uncut and uninterrupted by ads. At the end of the day I would still have paid more money to buy this even if it had been in just a plain cover with Roswell on it. I just hope a bit more effort is put in to the packaging for Season 2.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the info Camdish [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread   Post New Thread