Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Extreme Fan

AllStar This was kind of the best I could do...the text was hard to get on...it was hard to read when I first attempted it...

Old 12-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMovieGrrl
justsmile
One intsy bitsy little request...could I possible see some of the screencaps for the trailer? I'd like to possible make more of a banner or try at some avies myself

Thanx
The connection between the characters is so interesting. Interesting take on the tattoo dude. I've been focusing on the tattoo being a tree instead of the tattoo it's self.

I'll try and get screen caps later.

From Zap2it

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Nothing welcomes in a new year like Dust Bowl mysticism, circus oddities and a healthy dose of religious parable. HBO will launch the new season of "Carnivale" on Sunday, Jan. 9 at 9 p.m. ET.
The first hour of the show's 12-episode second season is titled "Los Moscos" and was written by season creator Daniel Knauf ("Wolf Lake").

The atmospheric and complex series follows the employees of a Depression-era traveling carnival that includes Ben Hawkins (Nick Stahl), a young man with special gifts. In a parallel story, viewers met a preacher named Brother Justin Crowe (Clancy Brown) who believes God speaks directly to him. The two characters are connected in some way, but the specifics remain fuzzy.

The cast also includes Amy Madigan, Clea DuVall, Michael J. Anderson, Adrienne Barbeau, John Carroll Lynch and John Savage.
In its first season, "Carnivale" won five Emmys, dominating the Creative Arts awards with trophies for cinematography, art direction, costuming, hairstyling and main titles. The show also picked up nominations for casting and makeup.

ETA:

-> Season 2 Preview Screen Captures

Last edited by justsmile; 12-15-2004 at 12:07 AM
Old 12-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Extreme Fan

Thank you just smile

So I've got some topic starters for the thread, if you guys don't mind...

Which Character Do You Want to Know More About in Season 2?

Favorite Character and Why?

Favorite Episode?

Here are my answers:

Appolonia (sp?) I think she's one of the most intriguing characters, and I want to see more about how she came to be part of Carnivale in more detail

Ben Hawkins. Aside from lovin' Nick Stahl, Ben is such a layered character. Sometimes, I wonder if he'll ever turn to the dark side, only because he fights it so much...

Favorite Episode?

The Pilot!

Ohhh, that scene as he sits there with his mother dying. It made me really curious about what was going on. At first I wasn't sure what his ability was at that point. I thought he was going to help her mother "pass on". The healer aspect wasn't too much of a surprise, but only set up soo many questions for the rest of the season.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Passionate Fan

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was Ben and Sophie kissing. (The Andia twins thought I was craz-ay. ) I had a fangirl spazz when I saw the trailer. There were lots of Sophie/Ben undertones in the beginning of the season 1 and I was always sad that there weren't a lot there toward the end. Guess we'll find out this January!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Extreme Fan

Hi

Yeah, I like Ben and Sophie as separate characters, in all honesty...but there remains a lot to be said about the parallels in their ominous destiny of sorts. I cannot help but want to see them connect more on a deeper level (physical and/or mentally).

Nick Stahl and Clea Devall are wonderful actors and their chemistry plays well off one another.

In terms of Sophie?

What gets to me is that Sophie seemed to have this really darker side brewing, and it's clear in the season finale the lengths she goes to make a point. Whew!

I'm a fan of David Lynch, so naturally, this series drew my attention. In fact, I'd love to see if the famous director would ever consider doing an episode??

As far as the developing hints at a Ben & Sophie merging? LoL. In all hoensty, it looks like them in the trailer, but it doesn't seem to bode well.

Looks like Sophie's storyline will be a dramatically significant subplot in the storyline.

We have all the elements of the classical character archetypes here...

The Tattoo Man = possible representation of the "Beast" as described in the biblical apocalypse.

The Devil = The infamous Brother himself

The Savior = Ben Hawkins...although I'm holding out on this idea for the simple fact that I feel we'll see a darker side of him.

The False Prophet = Sophie (?) We see in the trailer that she's voicing out for someone to believe her (Ben?) to which the man replies he can't any more...

So many possibilities and still there's an immmense amount of intrigue to propell this story for a while.

I don't believe it's going to be easy to decipher, but it'll be a thrill busting our brains about the meaning behind the symbolism and themes.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Only one character? Well, Scutter. Everyone's path seems to lead to Scutter and I want to know why.

Quote:
Ben, he's so troubled and complex. Also Brother Justin...I love him. And for some reason I love Stumpy too.

Quote:
Favorite Episode?
"The Day That Was The Day" - Season Final. Oh my there were pieces of the puzzle. Scutter saving Ben from killing himself. Which I think was one of the best moments of Season 1. Plus the suspenseful ending... and it's left me wanting more.

Such a great scene!

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMovieGrrl
I don't believe it's going to be easy to decipher, but it'll be a thrill busting our brains about the meaning behind the symbolism and themes.

I so agree... plus, Sophie definately has a dark side. So I'm her father does too, I mean Appy was killing Sophie in the final for a reason. She knows something big. Plus she knew about Ben!

behrfehr Welcome. And i think it is Ben/Sophie as well... but I'm wondering why? And if it's real or a dream. Hum

Last edited by justsmile; 12-17-2004 at 10:21 PM
Old 12-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Oooh! I had no idea this thread existed! I'm so glad I found it. Carnivale is one of my favorite shows, I'm really excited about the second season starting up.

Lodz. We still don't know how he knew about Ben's gift, what his relationship with Management was, etc etc...

Jonesy! I just adore him. He's a good guy. It doesn't hurt that he's hot, too.

Favorite Episode?

Definitely the season finale. It left me floored. I also really like "Babylon" and "Pick Your Number" (thats the one after it...right? I forget the title.)

icon credit
Old 12-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by behrfehr
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was Ben and Sophie kissing. (The Andia twins thought I was craz-ay. ) I had a fangirl spazz when I saw the trailer. There were lots of Sophie/Ben undertones in the beginning of the season 1 and I was always sad that there weren't a lot there toward the end. Guess we'll find out this January!
Oh, be quiet. I did not.

Hello, TheMovieGrrl, Lovesbitch, and alli balli! It's a pleasure to meet more Carnivale fans!

Man, I have to update myself from the last week. I haven't been able to get online for the past week. I'm glad we have more fans anticipating the premiere!

I want to know more about Sophie. She seemed to play such a trivial role in season 1, but it becomes apparent toward the end that she plays quite the important role in this age of the end of magic. At the end, she merely seemed to be a self-centered, whiny girl with the ability to hear her catatonic mother. I would hope that season 2 will develop her character more.

Ben. Heh. I like his character (and Nick Stahl). It's interesting to see that he's been brought up to hate his powers, and everyone telling him that his powers are important.

Favorite Episode?
My favorite episode would be The Day That Was The Day as well. I thought it was a great finale... it left with a cliffhanger that made me wish it was season 2 already!
Old 12-19-2004, 04:35 AM
Master Fan

ok, sorry ihaven't been posted but i wanted to watch all of season one w/o being spoiled.

finally finished it and omg, love it!

Although I was really sad at the way the Sophie/Libby plotline ended. Libby is definitely one of my favorite characters cause she's actually, in an ironic way, one of the more innocent characters on the show.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:15 AM
Extreme Fan

Thought I'd seek comfort here So many of the shows I've grown to love have either ended or are getting the ax.

I'm looking forward to January

LovesBitch I love your avy. It does say "flowers in the attic" right?
Where did you get the pic? Funny how oftentimes people's avies kind of open the gateway for my curiousity.

Example. A friend of mine had made a FanArt for Carnivale...then made it into an LJ. I remembered hearing about the show...but it made me watch a couple of episodes and I found myself hooked.

Okay so maybe narrowing one character down is a little complicated...I mean everyone is connected in various ways.

I loved the Libby/Sophie storyline, and the season finale with Jonesy really packed a punch. I wasn't expecting that at all. I thought, oh! She's just gonna confront them...but no, that wouldn't be the "carnivale" way to do it. LoL.

I'm constantly surprised and pleased by the way the stories weave into this larger story. Something presumably insignificant will be a huge turning point. A loose example? Well when Ben heals the little girl in the beginning, it becomes an offset later on. His actions, no matter what intention or how minute, have residual effects.

It's great to be part of a forum that is as excited to see what's in store for the characters.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Master Fan

I am big fan of this show. My favorite characters have to be Ben, Sophie, Libby, Ruthie and Jonesy. I can't wait for next season to start Jan 9th.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Master Fan

I only saw about 2 episodes of the first season and loved it. Right now I'm catching up with the HBO on demand, I'm excited for the new season, hopefully its twice as awesome as the first one.

darylbeth
Old 12-21-2004, 05:04 AM
Elite Fan

OK ... I have only seen 3 episodes, but ... I peeked inside a bag under the tree and ... it's there! My mom got me the 1st season dvd!!!!!! I can catch-up before Jan. 9th!

TheMovieGrrl - Thank you so much! I'm going to use it once the season starts up ... or before that! Thanks! It looks awesome. I could see how the text would have been a problem, but I love the lightning effect.

kenny | credit
Old 12-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Master Fan

The Survivor & Ice Queen follower Welcome

ALLSTAR Congrats.

---->>> HBO has UPDATED the character info

There are Spoilers and clues for Season 2
Old 12-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Passionate Fan

Wow, allstar! That's a great gift you got there.

Hello, the survivor and ice queen follower!

Have fun catching up on the 1st season, those of you who need to.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread