Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Master Fan

So You Think You Can Dance (General Thread) #1: Season 9 ~ Big Changes for a new year...2 winners?

So You Think You Can Dance

Season 9

Recent News / Videos

Season 9 Promo

Cat Previews Season 9

Perez's Preview of Season 9

Quote:
'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 9: Big Changes Coming To Reality Series, Including Two Winners

When "So You Think You Can Dance" returns to Fox on May 24 (at 8 p.m. EST), the popular competition series will look wildly different than seasons past.

"We're one show now, so we've got an action-packed show," producer Nigel Lythgoe told ET at the Fox upfronts this week. Fox ended the "So You Think You can Dance" results-show broadcast, meaning many changes needed to be made before the new season.

"This year we're doing an entirely new thing that we should have done years ago," Lythgoe said enthusiastically. "We're going to have a male winner and a female winner. With changing it around, to making it just one show, we sort of realized, 'Hey, why don't we do this?' We wanted to do it, now we have the opportunity to do so."

As Lythgoe told TVLine.com, “Girls dance totally differently than guys."

To make up for the lack of a results show, "SYTYCD" will have all its dancers perform in episodes one and two before revealing who goes home. "We'll watch them dance in the first week," Lythgoe told ET. "America will vote. We'll watch them dance in the second week, take into account America's vote and the week before's routine and make a decision."

Lythgoe said to TVLine.com that the dancers won't know before their routines if they're in danger because “we don’t want the [at-risk] contestants to be panicking [when they dance]."

As for the celebrity judges, Lythgoe would love to see Kristin Chenoweth and Jesse Tyler Ferguson return for season 9.

For more on the new rules and format of "So You Think You Can Dance," head over to TVLine.com.

source
View former So You Think You Can Dance season threads!
So You Think You Can Dance: Season 1 #1
So You Think You Can Dance: Season 2 #2
So You Think You Can Dance: Season 3 #3
So You Think You Can Dance: Season 4 #4
So You Think You Can Dance: Season 5 #1
So You Think You Can Dance: Season 6 #2
So You Think You Can Dance: Season 7 #2
So You Think You Can Dance: Season 8 #2
RK EB LP BR KP

Last edited by Always & Forever; 08-28-2012 at 07:10 PM
Old 05-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

This is going to be a great season. My girl Kristin is back!

Thanks for the thread!
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 05-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT.

Not sure about the new rules. I dont think it should be guys seperate from girls. They may dance differently, but men and women have both won the show before, so I dont think its purely about the dance skill. Mostly its about likability.

Whatev though.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad reputation (View Post)
TFTNT.

Not sure about the new rules. I dont think it should be guys seperate from girls. They may dance differently, but men and women have both won the show before, so I dont think its purely about the dance skill. Mostly its about likability.
Agreed. I think having two winners kinda takes away from it all. We've had guys and girls before, so it's never been an issue. It's always been America's Favorite.
RK EB LP BR KP
Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

Thanks for starting the new thread! I'm excited about the new season, but IDK how I feel about the new rules. I don't think I've ever watched a reality show that changed their rules each season as much as this show has. At least I only have to worry about keeping up with the show one day a week this year.

Aaron Tveit is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Old 05-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah, plus it does take away from the winner. I wouldnt want to share the spotlight.

only one epsiode a week now? whatttt. no. i dont like that. and then we have to wait an entire week before we see who is voted off? ugh.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

Quote:
yeah, plus it does take away from the winner. I wouldnt want to share the spotlight.
IKR? I'm trying to think of another show that has had two winners. The Amazing Race, but they're a team and have to share the prize. Are these winners gonna have to share a prize or do they get their own individual prizes?

Quote:
only one epsiode a week now? whatttt. no. i dont like that. and then we have to wait an entire week before we see who is voted off? ugh.
Yeah, I know. It kind of stinks.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I heard about the new rules before the season started and I don't know if i'll like them but we'll see how they use these new rules then i'll make my decision on if I like it or not.
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 05-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

I am definitely still gonna watch the show whether I like the new rules or not. This is my favorite reality show after Survivor and The Amazing Race, so I won't stop watching it because of some new stupid rules.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah, i love the show too, but im so sick of them constantly changing things.

i guess the only thing i REALLY care about is having partners like normal and a top 20. i didnt like when they changed that, and i dont like when they brough in all stars. i love when they switch partners so i hope they go back to that.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

I know. It does get kind of annoying with all the changes they make each season.

I'd like to see a Top 20 again!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

So, we'll get a guy winning and a girl winning. I liked the won winner rule better but we'll see what goes with the two winners.

Can't wait for tonight's premiere!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

I told my sister about the boy/girl winner thing and she said she liked that idea! Guess we'll see how the season goes!

PREMIERE TONIGHT!!

Old 05-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

i didnt know it was on tonight! pleasant surprise seeing it on my dvr!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Some of the new rules sound iffy. I wonder if they're doing them because of American Idol. AI doesn't vote the best talent.... more about the tweens voting incessantly for the boy they think is the cutest. So, the girls always get the shaft? But that has not been the case on SYTYCD. So, who knows?

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy