Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Elite Fan

The Good Wife Movie Club #3 - Because if Summer movies suck, we still have DVDs!

Welcome to the Movie Club
The thread where TGW movie buffs can share their love of the Silver Screen

Previous Thread

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Last edited by Gelfling; 08-05-2011 at 01:23 AM
Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Elite Fan

TFTNT

So I saw Friends with Benefits today and I am surprise again at how good it was. I did not really want to see it, cause it looked like the same plot all over again (which it was) and the only good thing was Mila but I decide to see it cause everything was either sold out or just not good enough. So overall the movie was quite funny, I enjoyed it!

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 07-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Elite Fan

That sounds just like that other movie with... Natalie Portman that was released a month ago or so.
Also... Justin Timberlake

Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
That sounds just like that other movie with... Natalie Portman that was released a month ago or so.
Exactly!! which is why I was like "no way I am watching this ****" but turned out not to be awful!

Quote:
Also... Justin Timberlake
Gosh! I know, at least Mila is hot

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Gosh! I know, at least Mila is hot
She is but not enough to make me stomach Timberfake.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Timberfake.
the things you come up with

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Elite Fan

Hehe I have a knack for word play

Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 PM
BK.
Passionate Fan

Quote:
So I saw Friends with Benefits today and I am surprise again at how good it was.
I've been wanting to see that movie! So you think it's worth going to see or is it one of those that could stand waiting until it comes out on DVD?

Quote:
Timberfake.
Him as an actor My gosh, I just keep picturing singing Bye, Bye, Bye with his little N'sync boy band

“There’s a bond that will endure whatever journey we go on.” ~Josh Charles on A/W
Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Addicted Fan

TFTNT!

Quote:
Do you like symphonic scores too? What's your favorite composer?
Oh yes! Very much! Regarding the classic ones, my favorites score composers are: Ennio Morricone, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith... On the top probably John Barry!

Among my favorites are also Yann Tiersen, Rachel Portman, Philip Glass.

Quote:
And besides Garden State's, which would you say had the biggest impact on you?
Considering soundtrack as a compilation of different music, I have to say The Big Chill and Jackie Brown.

Oh, can´t forget The Graduate! Simon & Garfunkel

In certain situations it is impossible to separate the films of the songs. I mean, if I had heard some of the music without ever having seen the film, I probably wouldn't appreciate the same way. But on the other side, there are those songs that regardless of what we associated them, are always great!

Not to mention musicals ... that would take us very far too!

For once it's impossible for me to confine my choices. Can anyone do it?
What would be your choices?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT
Old 07-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Him as an actor My gosh, I just keep picturing singing Bye, Bye, Bye with his little N'sync boy band
The only movie I was able to see him in was The Social Network and that's only because he plays an arrogant backstabbing little douche with coke up his nose half the time.

Quote:
Considering soundtrack as a compilation of different music, I have to say The Big Chill and Jackie Brown.
The Big Chill
I cannot believe I only discovered that movie 3 months ago! With such a brilliant cast?? How did I miss its existence?!

Quote:
Oh, can´t forget The Graduate! Simon & Garfunkel
I certainly love that one but it never really felt like a soundtrack to me. Most of the songs have nothing to do with what's going on screen.

Quote:
Regarding the classic ones, my favorites score composers are: Ennio Morricone, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith... On the top probably John Barry!
I just cannot believe Morricone never one a single oscar

Quote:
What would be your choices?
Oh boy

For some reason, the only soundtrack I can think of right now is Forrest Gump. It's such an intricate extensive portrait of American music and the way it related to politics and history from the 1950ies to the 1980ies. And it hits all the right spot with the story too.

As for scores, I really don't know where to start I have hundreds of hours of them.
For composers, I could make a top 5 just by checking my mp" player list.
- John Williams, (surprise uh? the guy's been nominated 45 times for an Oscar. Wonder why? ) and the one that haunts me is Memoirs of a Geisha. Such a fantastic work.
- Jerry Goldsmith, (but then he's been so prolific, it's no surprise either ) Just his scores for the Star Trek movies are enough to put me near the top of my list.
- Howard Shore, He's certainly not done many but his score for the extended Lord of the Rings trilogy is miraculous. It's as close to a full blown symphony as I have heard in many years. Not only is the music a character in the movies, listening to it on its own is just amazing. It's so rich.
- Danny Elfman, he definitely have his own style and the soundtrack for Nightmare Before Xmas certainly bumps him up a few slots but I love his work.
- Patrick Doyle. And now I know you're going to google him because nobody knows who he is. He worked a lot (and still is working) with Kenneth Brannagh. He WAS nominated for two oscars for Hamlet and Sense & Sensibility but my favorites are Frankenstein and Dead Again because not only are the scores magnificent, they are an integral part of the movies.

I would be remiss not to add my two favorites for the oldies.
- Max Steiner, his scores are still among the most well known ever, even by people who have never seen the movies. I mean who doesn't know the music for Gone with the Wind or Casablanca? The guy was trained by Brahms
I think he composed scores for almost every movie with Bette Davis (Now Voyager ) except All About Eve and that takes us to my #2 guy.
- Alfred Newman. He's the second most nominated person ever for an Oscar (tie with John Williams who will probably do him one better since he's still alive ) and he's second only to Walt Disney for the most wins. He literally created film music.

Quote:
Not to mention musicals ... that would take us very far too!
Oh who cares? Which are your faves?

Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK. (View Post)
I've been wanting to see that movie! So you think it's worth going to see or is it one of those that could stand waiting until it comes out on DVD?
If you really want to go to the movies and there is nothing else then go for it. Beside that, I would just wait for the DVD, I liked it but I would not have paid for it (I did not pay last night )

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 07-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

I've just finished re-watching Vozvrashcheniye (The Return). My version was dubbed so I don't know how much got lost in translation but I suppose only 2% of it. It's really good and wow, those two kids really know how to act. When you're in the mood for a drama/coming-of-age story watch this!

Pivot!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
The Big Chill
I remember having had a major discussion with my friends at school, by saying that I would do what Sarah (Glenn Close) did when Meg (Mary Kay Place) ask her to borrow her husband so she could get pregnant ... They were all shocked when I said that in that situation I would do the same, not bothering at all.

Quote:
I certainly love that one but it never really felt like a soundtrack to me. Most of the songs have nothing to do with what's going on screen.
True, but I love the movie, and I love the songs, they just ended together....

Quote:
For some reason, the only soundtrack I can think of right now is Forrest Gump.
How could I forget Forrest Gump. Ahhh Turn, turn, turn from The Birds... What a soundtrack....

Quote:
Danny Elfman
I like him. But I always associate him with Tim Burton, which I love, but not sure I can remember other works he might have done

Quote:
- Patrick Doyle. And now I know you're going to google him
I did I didn't know the name, but I know some of his work, like Henry V (), Much Ado About Nothing ()

Quote:
Max Steiner

Quote:
- Alfred Newman. He literally created film music.
and an entire family dedicated to film music. it's in their blood, I guess.

Quote:
Oh who cares? Which are your faves?
The Sound of Music, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Funny Girl, Mame ( Bea Arthur), Fame, Chicago... All time favorite: Victor, Victoria.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
They were all shocked when I said that in that situation I would do the same, not bothering at all.
I have asked myself the question many times when I watched the movie. I think I would too
I mean it's not as if they were in love. She trusts them both. It's just... sex. I wonder what Alicia would think of the movie at this point

Quote:
How could I forget Forrest Gump. Ahhh Turn, turn, turn from The Birds... What a soundtrack....
It has some of the best songs of those years and they each represent a moment in US history and work perfectly with the movie.

Quote:
I like him. But I always associate him with Tim Burton, which I love, but not sure I can remember other works he might have done
He did work with Burton a lot and I think their work complement each other so well. Of his recent movies, the one I remember most is Milk and Hellboy: Golden Army. You can't really confuse his style with anyone else even when he's not working on fantasy.

Quote:
and an entire family dedicated to film music. it's in their blood, I guess.
I know, right? And they're successful too. You think they have a room somewhere with all the awards? Between the three brothers, Alfred, Emil and Lionel, and the second generation, they must have at least 30 trophies

Quote:
The Sound of Music, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Funny Girl, Mame ( Bea Arthur), Fame, Chicago... All time favorite: Victor, Victoria.
Ooooh that's a list of classics you have there
I know you're going to hate me for this but I'm not a fan of the Sound of Music but I love all the others. But that's ok because I know you're going to hate me more for this: I was in NYC when Julie was doing Victor/Victoria on Broadway and I saw it.