The Good Wife Movie Club #2 - Cause when tv fails us, it's Movie Summertime

Welcome to the Movie Club
The thread where TGW movie buffs can share their love of the Silver Screen

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Irish accent is beautiful when spoken properly, very musical,
it's like a song but it really doesn't help you understand it. I'm used to it because I have very close friends in Dublin and we speak at least once a week but the sing-song accent is not the whole of it. The way they pronounce vowels sometimes gives me pause.

Quote:
Okay so I've recently been at the butt of many jokes for not being the kind of person who appreciates romantic comedies. Or even stand them really. I need some affirmation people. Anyone here hate them as much as I do? And if so why?
I haven't seen a romantic comedy I liked since When Harry Met Sally. Ironically enough, that was Nora Ephron's script and she had endeavored to kill the genre with her later stuff.
But again, as I was saying for the action genre, the problem doesn't lie in the genre itself but in the use of it to make "easy money". They have a target that's easily satisfied and they hit all the required trademarks of the genre without making an effort to make the movie engaging, the characters three dimensional or the plot worth following.
Most of those movies are neither romantic nor comedies by any definition of either words.

Even more ironic is the fact that Ephron's parents practically invented the genre in the golden era and I'll take a Tracy/Hepburn romantic comedy over any that's being released now any day.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Elite Fan

TFTNT

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
I haven't seen a romantic comedy I liked since When Harry Met Sally.
I thought you liked Love and Sex?

Not sure if it qualifies as a romantic comedy although it is hilarious and about love but you should check out Young People ****ing, it's very much indie so don't expect Hollywood lights and magic but it's very worth watching.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
But again, as I was saying for the action genre, the problem doesn't lie in the genre itself but in the use of it to make "easy money".
You're right there. And it's worse for me because as a 20 something girl, who is admittedly a romantic in real life, I'm expected to like them. The same thing does not apply to action for me so I'm clear there. But I can cry "Rom coms are hardly ever romantic" till I go hoarse and no one will stop bugging me about it. The worst example I have seen recently was What Happens in Vegas. Awful, Awful movie. In my opinion of course.

Quote:
Nora Ephron's script and she had endeavored to kill the genre
I did enjoy Julie and Julia but that was not a rom com. I liked that Julie and Julia's marriages played an important part of what they were doing somehow.

And I would take Hepburn/Tracy anyday too. I think I was born in the wrong era. The best is forgotten and you have to get by on the moderately good.

Quote:
but you should check out Young People ****ing,
I'm such a prude when it comes to sex scenes in movies that I'm surprised that I checked this one out. Parts of it I liked, and there were parts that were a little too raunchy for me. But those are just my hangups.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT

Yesterday I was so happy that I decided to have the yearly dose of Solaris... I still think it's an amazing movie (but It's me and my love for ultra-slow film) but i can get why a lot of viewers doze for the whole length
Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by witgit (View Post)
But I can cry "Rom coms are hardly ever romantic" till I go hoarse and no one will stop bugging me about it.
Hardly ever funny either! In recent years, Rom coms seem to follow the the same recipe, a spoon of romance, a cup of supposed comedy, another spoon of sweetened comedy, half a cup of misunderstandings, half a cup of tears and a big fat happy ending to finish off!

I'll admit though, I'm not a fan of comedy in general. Somehow, what most of my age group find funny, I don't. And I'm too much of a cynic to enjoy romance mixed with it

Quote:
The worst example I have seen recently was What Happens in Vegas. Awful, Awful movie. In my opinion of course.
In mine too. I sat through an hour before I couldn't take it anymore!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I'll take a Tracy/Hepburn romantic comedy over any that's being released now any day.
Love, love, love Adam's Rib ! But Hepburn/Grant was also a great pair... ahh... The Philadelphia Story

Quote:
The best is forgotten
If you want the best, you have to look for it, because nowadays that's the last thing you're offer
Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Femina (View Post)
But Hepburn/Grant was also a great pair... ahh... The Philadelphia Story
Even better, Bringing Up Baby or The Awful Truth with Irene Dunne.

The secret of comedy is doing it naturally under the most difficult circumstances. And film comedy is the most difficult of all. At least on stage you know right away if you`re getting laughs or not. But making a movie, you have no way of knowing. So you try to time the thing for space and length and can only hope when it plays in the movie theaters months later that you have timed the thing right. It`s difficult and it takes experience. I`ll always remember the great actor, A.E. Matthews, who said on his death bed, `Dying`s tough - but not as tough as comedy.` - CG
Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I thought you liked Love and Sex?
I did! It's a great movie but somehow I never classified it as a romantic comedy. It's a comedy about love and life. I don't know

Quote:
you should check out Young People ****ing, it's very much indie so don't expect Hollywood lights and magic but it's very worth watching.
I saw it! It's fun. The acting is a little rough here and there but it's an entertaining movie. They did go a little further than I would have with the sex sometimes but then it's me

Quote:
Love, love, love Adam's Rib
such a great movie. Such great performances.

Quote:
And it's worse for me because as a 20 something girl, who is admittedly a romantic in real life, I'm expected to like them
Hehe I can imagine. I keep being told I'm not romantic. The truth is it's because I am that these cheap formulas don't fit the bill for me.

Quote:
I did enjoy Julie and Julia but that was not a rom com.
She's not a bad writer, really. But her romantic comedies (since When Harry Met Sally) have left me with the impression of a paint-by-the-numbers script.

Quote:
I think I was born in the wrong era. The best is forgotten and you have to get by on the moderately good.
I know, right? They just go for easy. I have a friend who said recently that "everything had been done" so it was hard to make a good movie. I completely disagree. A good movie is not about originality, although it helps, it's about making people feel something and engaging them.

Quote:
I'll admit though, I'm not a fan of comedy in general. Somehow, what most of my age group find funny, I don't
maybe you should be smoking something. I think that would help me in some cases.

Quote:
Yesterday I was so happy that I decided to have the yearly dose of Solaris... I still think it's an amazing movie (but It's me and my love for ultra-slow film) but i can get why a lot of viewers doze for the whole length
I wouldn't call it amazing but it's not that bad.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
I'm such a prude when it comes to sex scenes in movies that I'm surprised that I checked this one out. Parts of it I liked, and there were parts that were a little too raunchy for me. But those are just my hangups.
then don't watch Shortbus!
I kinda agree on some of it. But it's not that bad, really. And that's not entirely about sex but they had to explore their subject

Quote:
Rom coms seem to follow the the same recipe, a spoon of romance, a cup of supposed comedy, another spoon of sweetened comedy, half a cup of misunderstandings, half a cup of tears and a big fat happy ending to finish off!
it's like they are using a checklist or something. Not only does that make the movie bland and uninteresting but there's not a single thing on that list I'd like to see in any movie, let alone as a combo.

Quote:
She's not a bad writer, really. But her romantic comedies (since When Harry Met Sally) have left me with the impression of a paint-by-the-numbers script.
I think she has no idea what she did right with WHMS so she's just aiming for the easy parts.

Quote:
I'll admit though, I'm not a fan of comedy in general. Somehow, what most of my age group find funny, I don't.
What are the movies that make you laugh?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Has any of you watched "Mteropolis"? comments?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Last night I watched "Route Irish" (Ken Loach/2010). A pleasant movie about contractors in Iraq...
No matter how hard they try, european movies look and feel different from US, even when it's an indie

Not to be seen if you are in a bad mood, this is not the director of "Land and Freedom", it's sad movie for a dirty war.

PS: have you seen "Mr Beaver" because I don't want to see it unless it's a masterpiece...

Last edited by Det.Logan; 06-05-2011 at 09:11 AM
Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
And that's not entirely about sex but they had to explore their subject
It's not and I even liked the parts which were about sex. Like the exes who were hooking up and then realizing that they're still too connected to each other. As graphic as that was, that didn't bother me that much. There is a level of discomfort for me because I do feel like a voyeur at times. But the bigger problem lay with a couple of other stories. Like the guy who decided to get his girlfriend and his roommate together (it's getting pretty hard to keep this PG 13 ). It's probably the concept more than the images for me.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Like the guy who decided to get his girlfriend and his roommate together (it's getting pretty hard to keep this PG 13 )
that's what happens when Lily decides to grace us with her presence

Quote:
There is a level of discomfort for me because I do feel like a voyeur at times.
Same here. It's not that the stories weren't interesting but it felt like it was too intimate to be engaging.

Quote:
then don't watch Shortbus!
I tried. I couldn't do it. The concept was way too weird and the plots... well

Quote:
Has any of you watched "Mteropolis"? comments?
One of the most brilliant silent movie ever made?
Have you seen it or are you just wondering?

Quote:
No matter how hard they try, european movies look and feel different from US, even when it's an indie
I don't know. It seems the lines have been blurred. And that depends what kind of indie you watch. A lot of "indies" now are just movies that are just not blockbuster material so the studios pass and they have to find their own distribution. That's the definition of an indie. But there are a lot of indie movies out there that makes Ken Loach look like a Hollywood director

Quote:
PS: have you seen "Mr Beaver" because I don't want to see it unless it's a masterpiece...
The Beaver? I'll see it for the cast and because Jodie Foster never disappointed me as a director but it's not a priority on my list.